cardio indoors - why?

Options

Replies

• Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    I can see why you may think that where you live but I myself live in the south. We don't have many days where it is "beautiful" outside, it may LOOK pretty through the window but we have very high humidity and heat indexes here during the summer. Plus, I think if someone enjoys working out to a DVD or going to the gym that is their choice right? As long as they're exercising is ALL that matters...
  • BarbACona
    Options
    Several reasons could be possible for this phenomenon. One people may feel they are getting a more complete or through workout on a machine. The machine also has readouts wrhere they can see and gage their work.

Some people don't enjoy the outdoors (hard to believe I know).

Some people may crave the companionship and guidance of a gym and all its patrons.

Physical injuries may be keeping them from hitting the great outdoors. I am recovering from a mild stroke and felt apprehensive of going it alone outside for the first few times.

These are just a few, I'm sure there are many more that I would not have thought of. It all boils down to diffierent strokes for different folks and as long as they are working out and getting fit what difference does it make where they do it?
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It was 114 outside yesterday.

It is sometimes 12 outside in the winter.

I don't run.

I don't have a bicycle.

There's not a good place to walk or run or cycle close by.

I can do other things while I'm working out inside, food is usually cooking and I wouldn't want to leave it on the stove while I go outside. Laundry is usually going and I don't leave the house with the washer or dryer going.

I do feel self conscious if I'm where other people can see me.

I don't look great in my workout clothes.....they actually aren't very decent actually.

Oh, and did I mention that it's HOT outside!!!
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    One word: Allergies. Some days are better than others for me outside, but right now ragweed is about to go haywire in my area, so it's better on my lungs to stay inside. Plus the humidity does a number on me too, if it's too high.

This!! I have really bad asthma and allergies. Don't get me wrong, I love being outside, but when Mother Nature isn't cooperating, I'm in the gym or in my basement on my elliptical or treadmill.
  • graceinbreath
    graceinbreath Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Allergies!!! Safety!!!!! knowing you can work out past dusk or before dawn and you arent likley to get attacked and raped because you arent out running on the streets - you are at a place where people are being paid to make sure you are okay. and the lights are bright. Knowing other people will be there if you have a heart attack. Knowing you can stop when you need to as you are re-building your stamina/endurance - if you go out walking - you have to walk all the way home. if you get tired or out of breath on treadmill you can just stop. Also, walking with friends. some of my friends are taller and faster than me. We can walk side by side at the gym on treadmills and get good workouts - cant do that together outside bc we arent in the same place with fitness and height.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Well, I don't run.
    I look foolish.
    & allergies.
  • Nicole_Altieri
    Nicole_Altieri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, heat stroke for one! Some people are more comfortable being behind closed doors for the simple fact that they are overweight and not all together happy with themselves. Allergies are another one, some people break out in hives if sweat stays on thier skin for too long and the rubbing of your clothing irritates it more. Whatever the reason may be, if people weren't working out at all before its a step up when they start at all so let them exercise where ever they want just as long as they keep going.!
  • Lkoblara
    Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There are so many reasons,

1) I have a 3 yr old so unless I count sandbox time as cardio the only other thing I could achieve outside is walking. And then I couldn't go very far or very fast with him.

2) Summers where are live have crazy humidity, Often enough we have air quality warnings.

3) I have allergies. Pollens and molds make it impossible to breathe.

4) I like exercising in a sports bra and frankly, the world just isn't ready for that.

5) I don't run or bike. I prefer a structured work out where someone tells me what to do because I am not a fitness expert.

6) Cause I just don't wanna. :)
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I love to be outside, but I am new to running, and the treadmill is easier for me. I walk 3 times a week outdoors, and run on the treadmill 3 times a week! Can't wait till its beautifully cool weather, and my endurance is better so I can run outdoors and tackle the hills!!! :)
  • proudaunt
    Options
    I'm with you. The only thing that would force me inside is hail or extremely slippery conditions. As an added bonus, some of the best runs I've had have been in the rain.
  • kcbrig
    kcbrig Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me, it's because of the neighborhood and I prefer to do my workouts in the late evening. It's a hassle to do the workout outside because I'd need to carry a backpack for sunblock and water. I like having my weights, restroom, and water close by.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Indoors or outdoors, as long as you are moving your butt, it's all good. I do my stationary bike indoors because I'm not a great outdoor biker. I do my walking/jogging outside because I don't have a treadmill or gym membership. Indoors - weather, time/amt of daylight, or childcare do not matter.
  • bellavita0125
    bellavita0125 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What does it matter? Everyone is different. Who cares WHY someone prefers to do their cardio indoors rather than outdoors. At least they're off the couch.
  • oldfieldm
    Options
    Wow lots of indoor cardio people. I used to bundle my kids up and go to the gym with a daycare and spend lots of money doing it. My kids got sick all the time because of the daycare too. I do like spinning classes. Spinning classes are actually how I got introduced to the sport of cycling. Now I ride at 5am with a light and a group of awesome cyclists and I usually run at about 6am. Early is best for outdoor workouts. I love to watch the sunrise on my bike rides. Not so hot and my husband is home sleeping and so are my 3 kids. Working out outside would never work for a single mom though. I am lucky I have the option to do so. I am addicted to working out outside, but to each their own. ps It does get dangerous sometimes cycling outside so it isn't for everyone.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    some of the best runs I've had have been in the rain.

werd xthumb.gif
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    some of the best runs I've had have been in the rain.

werd xthumb.gif

rain? what is this "rain" you speak of?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    For the record today's workout was outdoors. I took my suspension trainer and my jump rope to a local park that has a tennis court nobody uses anymore. I hooked my suspension trainer up to the fence above the gate into the court, used a nearby bench as a plyo box, and did jump rope intervals in between bodyweight/plyo sets. 30 mins I logged as circuit training. I did this in 90 degree heat. And I do regret not doing it indoors.
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    1. Because I prefer to embarrass myself in the privacy of my own home!
    2. Because I live in southern Arizona; it's perpetually like 100 degrees outside here! haha.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    OP is probably referring to places where it is beautiful, like I'm assuming where he lives. For someone who lives in Lakewood, OH, which is a relatively safe neighborhood, and where it's been 70 degrees in the morning, I'm still confused when I see perfectly healthy people inside on the treadmills at the Anytime Fitness by my apartment.

Can I also say that I'm very thankful I'm not concerned with what people think when they see me?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The OP is clearly one of those people who has a very limited idea of what cardio is...

care to elaborate?

To put it simply, not everyone enjoys running or walking endlessly in the hot sun. A lot of people enjoy doing different forms of cardio that weren't designed to emulate outdoor activities. Things like dance, circuit training, and some people just like using equipment. Feels like playing with toys.

A lot of us work out solely for the health and functional benefits of it even though we don't truly enjoy the activity we are doing. Being out and trying to do it in the hot sun will hinder our performance and thus defeat the sole reason why we do what we do, as is the case with my workout today. I could have gone for a fourth set of my outdoor circuit today if the temperature weren't unbearably hot or I was doing it indoors, but because of the heat sucking the life out of me I had to stop at 3 sets. Explain the benefit to me there...