chia seeds

Options
2»

Replies

• julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How large of a serving does this make? And can it be saved for later?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    My favorite chia seed recipe is a raw breakfast porridge. It's easy and a great change of pace. Especially good for hot weather breakfast. Tastes a bit like tapioca pudding!

The night before you want to eat it for breakfast put in a jar (I use a quart canning jar with plastic top):

2 cups unsweetened almond (or whatever) milk
    1/4 to 1/2 cup chia seeds (I use 1/3 cup)
    1 tsp. vanilla
    your favorite sweetener to taste
    (taste the milk as you go to make sure you don't OVER sweeten. You can always add more sweet when you're eating it!)

Shake together in jar and leave jar overnight in fridge. (or about 6-8 hours)
    In the morning, spoon into a bowl and add toppings if desired.
    optional ingredients can include orange or lemon zest and flavoring, cocoa, whatever you'd like!
    Sounds tasty, I'll give this a try when I pick some up.

Thanks!!
  • julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    where do you guys buy yours? I had to order them online.
  • quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    where do you guys buy yours? I had to order them online.

I order mine from nuts.com. They are a family run business with very reasonable prices. I buy mine in 5 lb bags. BTW - there's no need to buy organic - they cost a little more and chia isn't grown with pesticide since they are naturally resistant to going bad.
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds hold about 10 times their volume in water so once ingested they swell and keep you full for longer, so an appetite suppressant. They have omega 3, protein, fibre! Calcium, B group vitamins, C and more. Also they are easier to store don't go rancid like flaxseeds can, which is why I always keep flaxseed in the fridge.

More often than not my breakfast consists of mixing chia, LSA (ground lindseed, sunflower seed & almonds), psyllium husk, lecithin with some water till gooy, then i add chopped up orange & small apple, mix some more, then add low fat Greek yoghurt with some extra probiotic powder ( to be sure!) and heaps cinnamon sprinkling on top. It is ABSOLUTELY delicious, nutritious, great texture, moist and keeps you going for at least 4 - 5 hours depending on your activity. Follow up by drinking plenty of water throughout day.
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    My favorite chia seed recipe is a raw breakfast porridge. It's easy and a great change of pace. Especially good for hot weather breakfast. Tastes a bit like tapioca pudding!

The night before you want to eat it for breakfast put in a jar (I use a quart canning jar with plastic top):

2 cups unsweetened almond (or whatever) milk
    1/4 to 1/2 cup chia seeds (I use 1/3 cup)
    1 tsp. vanilla
    your favorite sweetener to taste
    (taste the milk as you go to make sure you don't OVER sweeten. You can always add more sweet when you're eating it!)

Shake together in jar and leave jar overnight in fridge. (or about 6-8 hours)
    In the morning, spoon into a bowl and add toppings if desired.
    optional ingredients can include orange or lemon zest and flavoring, cocoa, whatever you'd like!

Bumpity bump
  • gnarlynoodle
    gnarlynoodle Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just mixed half a tbsp into my oatmeal this morning for the first time. I'm definitely a fan because oatmeal isn't my favorite thing in the world due to the consistency and the chia gave it bit of grit. I know people who just sprinkle it over whatever they're eating.. salad, proteins, fruit, veg.. etc.
  • cwunderlich
    cwunderlich Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • triskele
    triskele Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I mix chia seeds in my overnight oatmeal. Basically, just mix equal parts oats, lowfat milk, and 0% fat greek yogurt. Add chia seeds (1 -2 Tbsp) and fresh berries if they are handy and stir together in a sealable container. Leave in the fridge overnight and the seeds sort of gel up. It works just fine with the oatmeal and is super handy for grabbing a meal on the way out the door. You can microwave it for a couple minutes or eat it cold.

I have a hard time eating breakfast, but I can get this down. Also, this keeps me full way better than the protein shake I was drinking for breakfast. Since I'm not starving by lunchtime, it's helped me make more sensible mid-day meal choices.

Oh, and to answer a previous reply, I find mine in the bulk food section of my local grocery store (HEB) - where you find the grains and nuts and things sold by the pound (but they are in their own pre-packed form) and they are also at Whole Foods.

Hope this helps.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My friends at work just eat them right out of the bottle, like nuts. They say they kind of have a nutty flavor. One lady takes them for athritis; the other is just into health (but not weight loss).

I have not tried them.

So what brands do you guys use?

The ones at work use Salba, and they say they are the "IT" of chia seeds.....???? Any thoughts on brands? Can you buy them at Walmart?
  • MissItalianPrincess
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to ask a crazy question, are these the same chia seeds like you see in the infamous Chia Pets???? Lol

But seriously, I've been hearing so much about them and am intrigued. What exactly do they do for your health/weight loss? Can I find them at Trader Joes?

Thanks!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    you aren't supposed to heat them because that destroys the nutrition that they contain.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds!!! I love them! I don't use them for weight loss but more for just general health. They have so many benefits!!! I put them in my smoothies :)