cardio indoors - why?

Options
1181920212224»

Replies

• misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I find it extremley hard to run in the sun! Simply kills me. I'd much rather run in the rain. And sometimes it's nice doing things in the comfort of your own home, so 1. No one can laugh at you 2. You can have a shower STRAIGHT afterwards. Those are my two top reasons. I do sometimes run outside though :)
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Because it's 115 after sunrise here currently. Before sunrise it gets down to, oh, 100. Also, bugs. I'll probably move my workouts back outside starting in October.
  • tarisaralonde
    tarisaralonde Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not a safe walk outside - too many cars, and also not the safest neighborhood to go strolling around.

And allergies, very bad allergies.

Need to travel to go to hiking - not worth the gas.

Hope this brings light to your curiosity. :)
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I didn't read other replies so I might be repeating what others have already said but here are my reasons:

1. It's too scary to run outside at 5:30 am because it's still dark, I am safe at the gym or on my treadmil at home
    2. 5:30 am is the only time that I can get my work out in
    3. as a runner, I need to cross train so I will pop in my P90X or Insanity DVD or go to a 5:30 am class at the gym
    4. I have a small child that I can't leave at home alone so I have to work out at home
    5. I can cook and work out at the same time (can't leave the stove on and run 4 miles away from home)

I do run outside when I can....
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    I spend a lot of time outside working in my large vegetable garden... when I am outside i am doing something i enjoy like gardening or golf.

I also have several tv shows that I record.... why not multi-task and watch those shows while I am on my elliptical?
    Running is NOT fun [for me] so i find that time passes quicker if I get lost in an audio book or tv show .
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    I think a lot of people like the social aspect and the support they get in the gym. I work at a gym, also. I run outside and I lift in the gym. I also teach classes in the gym. I think some people also like to be motivated by others, be it instructors or peers.
  • TMarieB30
    Options
    I live in Florida and this time of year is hot, humid, and tons of bugs! I like the videos, kinda feels like I have a work out buddy. Get how you can is my motto.
  • coorsa
    coorsa Posts: 1
    Options
    well i can see why because it gives them something to fallow. some people don't know what to do on there own. i do p90x dvds and i love them. but i do spend time out doors too. i road bike 20 miles 3 times a week. but i am in Montana where the weather is gorgeous but un-predictable. and there is not anywhere to work out outside. no stadiums or work out stations. you can only ride your bike and run so much that i also need the weight lifting. 90% of people aren't like us where they can workout by them selves. they need support. and i am sort of one of them. i work out 6 days a week by myself. but i don't have a gym membership . i use what i have and that is my dvds and my bike. i live in the country where there are no parks or schools unless i want to drive 30min to and from. otherwise im working out with the horses in a field int the tall grass. or on a gravel road. but i also know everyone else doesn't live like me. im all for what ever works. i love the out doors. but sometimes its too hot raining or hailing. good luck everyone on your work outs and to each there own.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    It is 113F outside right now. If I tried to do cardio out there I'd die from heatstroke before the ambulance could get there.

This may be the first time I have ever agree with someone from Stillwater, but yes, it is insanely hot here. It is even too hot to swim in the lake.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    there is less chance of being raped, and I like it.

LOL! Yes, this!
  • wrensong27
    wrensong27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I woud love to be outside getting fresh air and exercising...but the temps have been wel over 100 most of the summer and that just isn't safe...As soon as Autumn gets here, I am going going walking and getting out as much as possible
  • lshaunessy
    Options
    It is 113F outside right now. If I tried to do cardio out there I'd die from heatstroke before the ambulance could get there.

This may be the first time I have ever agree with someone from Stillwater, but yes, it is insanely hot here. It is even too hot to swim in the lake.

Oh Mercy, don't tell me you're from Norman? lol I'm a transplant actually, my husband is from Stillwater, I'm from eastern OK. Attended OU, so *peers around for any Pokes* GO Sooners!!
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm fat and I don't want people to see me run?

This is my reasoning as well!
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I see all these posts about people doing various at home cardio DVDs (Jillian, insanity, whatever), or spending all this time on machines at the gym. I work at a gym and watch people line up for the cardio equipment on days when if FREAKING BEAUTIFUL outside.

Why?
    The question for me more is Why would I want to be outside?

I live in an area that to jog would mean stopping very frequently at traffic lights, it's not comfortable outside most of the time (too hot and pollution from all the cars, allergies).

I have a great treadmill at home. I can adjust the AC to make it comfy. I have water nearby and don't have to figure out a way to carry it if I'm thirsty a mile away from home. If I want to pause and use the bathroom, it's right there. I can entertain myself with TV -- I never cared for running before because I got bored easily - having the TV keeps me entertained.

Jillian's DVDs aren't just cardio as well. There's also strength training - something that is new for me. Why wouldn't I want the wisdom of a great trainer to guide me through it? I don't have the money for a personal trainer but the DVD was cheap!

Almost forget -- the sun's harmful UV rays! That means either wearing sunscreen (yuck! no thanks!) or waiting until dark, when my area doesn't really seem all that safe. I'll keep my skin looking younger by hiding out indoors. :smile: