Food Addicts Anonymous??

Options

Replies

• Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    There are some definite ups and downs to visiting with SO's family. On the one hand, his mom makes food that is TERRIBLE for you, but tastes great - barely a fruit or vegetable in the house. On the other hand, Chris plays a lot of tennis, and to play tennis in New Hampshire in the dead of winter he goes to the athletic dome of a nearby university, so I spend a few hours in the cardio/strength area. Like yesterday, about 2.5 hours rotating between strength, track, and elliptical - so today, I hurt all over. The downside is I'm getting really bad at logging my calories.
  • britt555
    Options
    I am also guilty of being a food addict :( ....looking for tips to try to curb these habits? I'm currently trying doing grocery shopping AFTER weekly weigh in, and trying to keep healthy "substitutes" on hand (i.e. 100 Cal snack packs, cut up fruit) this seems to be helping...but the problem is my husband is not following my diet, and I cant keep out of his food!! Help?!
  • cnutbrown
    cnutbrown Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Crystal and I too am a food addict! It feels wierd to finally admit it in text....
    I self medicate using food and find much comfort in it until the guilt kicks in :P

I lost almost 35 lbs here before christmas and then took a break from myfitnesspal and my excercise regime just to gain almost 10 lbs back.....time to get back to the grindstone i guess.....

Crystal
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options
    I am also guilty of being a food addict :( ....looking for tips to try to curb these habits? I'm currently trying doing grocery shopping AFTER weekly weigh in, and trying to keep healthy "substitutes" on hand (i.e. 100 Cal snack packs, cut up fruit) this seems to be helping...but the problem is my husband is not following my diet, and I cant keep out of his food!! Help?!

britt, you may need to sit down with your hubbie and make a plan. Ask him to help you. You'll be amazed at how much easier it will be once he is aware that you have trouble with it and brainstorms with you.
  • bluenote
    Options
    Welcome, cnutbrown. Yes, I felt weird admitting it in print too. But know that we are all here to help one another on our journeys. :flowerforyou:

Sunsh1ne, way to go at that gym!!! :flowerforyou: Keep logging that food, girlfriend!!! :drinker:
  • richardsrm
    richardsrm Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    Hello to Crystal and Britt. :smile: Fell off the wagon yesterday over ate::sad: I did not log in my food didn't measure the ice cream just ate it from the container:explode: I hate it when I can't get myself undercontrol. Okay..........enough of the pity party.....I need to do what needs to be done to be healthy today. I have my skim milk and cheerios ready to go to work. I will eat smart today. Hugs to all, :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • janemreeves
    janemreeves Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Another day........lots of temptation but I did pretty good. tough stuff having that refrigerator in the same house.......anyhow I will take it one second at a time.............thanks cherry!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    I finally found something that works! I bought a cheapie little notebook that I keep in my purse and I actually logged everything today! It really helps me to be able to just jot it down like that - MFP is great and all but I need something to hold now and then, especially when I'm not going online that often. At school, I probably spend 5-8 hours a day with my web browser on. While I'm with the boy, I maybe spend half an hour online, if I go on at all.
  • richardsrm
    Options
    good idea sunshine .
  • bluenote
    Options
    Hey sunsh1ne and richard, did those tickers change?
  • richardsrm
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It did how about that so much movement over the hoidays I must have just burned more calories. Thanks for keeping an eye on things.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Yes it did. :smile: I hit a dead zone so I didn't weigh in for a month. My unwatched pot boiled over, I guess, I expected to lose maybe a pound in that time.

Home sweet home today. :grumble: I could have stayed in New Hampshire for another month but I've got stuff to do here before I go back to school. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on track.
  • richardsrm
    Options
    :love: you will sunshine! I almost went on a binge today that is a big issue for me. When I lose weight it makes me want to fall off the wagon and lose control...............self fulfilling prophecy ........fear of success? Not sure what motivates this weird reaction. I didn't binge I am posting, washing my hair and reading in bed with a cup of hot tea tonight. I will not give in. Thanks for being there friends.:heart: Richie
  • BDL13
    BDL13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Im Bridget and I am a food addict.
    I eat when I am sad, mad, happy, bored, tired...you name it.
    When I am not eating I am thinking about what I can eat next.
    I have a small sweet tooth, but my biggest weakness is anything cheesy. I love chocolate, but would rather have a big bowl of baked cheesy pasta or something like that.
    March of 09 I went on a diet and ended up losing over 30 pounds in about 5 months. I have since fallen off that wagon and just recently started get back on track. I am not doing anything specific right now, just watching my portion sizes, not eating anything really bad for me, trying to eat 4-6 times a day.
    I am new to myfitnesspal and looking forward to using all it has to offer.
  • jacquelinehogan
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jacqueline Hogan and I am addicted to food. I absolutely love the stuff. Can't seem to stay away from it.
  • bluenote
    Options
    Oh goodness Sunsh1ne please forgive me for mentioning the ticker. :embarassed: I am so sorry - I thought it was the other way around! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Welcome all ye newcomers! :heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • kelly819
    Options
    Hi! I'm Kelly...I am also a food addict (I like to call myself a "foodie" - it sounds better, but I guess that's denile). I love to eat with friends & family to celebrate or socialize. I really love to cook & feed others too. We don't feel as guilty when others are being bad with us! I lost 50 pounds and kept it off for about a year, but went on a vacation to Disney last Oct. & fell off the wagon...I never made it back on. (They really should put seat belts on those wagons!) So I've gained almost 10 back, & HAVE to get back on track! So do food addicts have to give it all up forever? That is so depressing...food has such memories with it! Seems I enjoy cooking healthy food as much as junk food, so that is my plan of attack...see how creative I can be with healthy food.:bigsmile:
  • richardsrm
    Options
    welcome Jackie , BDL and Kelly, This site has helped me alot . When I feel out of control I sit read the posts and try to push back the void. It is a bumpy ride but the support I get here makes it easier not to keep gaining. :drinker: :smile: :smile:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Zorahope, don't sweat it. I've never broken through a wall before, so this is big for me!

Kelly, I hear you! I am a "foodie" food addict too, and I know how that can get you into trouble. Creativity is good, though - I try to learn a new vegetable every month. This month is brussels sprouts, which I have never tried before. theppk.com is a vegan recipe database, and no one gets more creative with veggies than vegans.
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My name is Mary and I too am a food addict. I've been relying on food for support, assurance,comfort...... I have a loving family, I retired early from my job 3 yrs ago (don't missi it at all). Things in my life are good and after alot of soul seraching, I've discovered I don't like myself very much and it's all based on how I look and how much I weigh. I know how stupid that sounds but it's the truth.
    I have been trying to lose weight for well over 11 yrs. I don't know what I'm afraid of. I don't know why at my age (56) this addiction seems to be getting stronger. I look forward to eating and like many of you when I'm not eating, I think about what I can eat next.
    I have always been the funny one, the one that can make everyone else feel better. I getting tired of pretending. Don't misunderstand, I'm not always happy but it is seldom that anyone has ever known when I'm unhappy. For whatever reason, I'm unable to share that feeling with even the closest of family.
    I'm well aware of how whiney this all sounds and that is why I've decided to re-examine my perspective. I need to see my glass as half full. I need to let people know how I'm really feeling. I need to develope a new relationship with food. If I felt about food the way I feel about myself, I'd be thin and healthy - yet I know that doesn't bring the promise of happiness.
    I'm thankful for this forum and I can relate to all of you. Thank you for listening and understanding.
    Here's to better tomorrows! :smile:
    Mary
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!