WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2012

Options

Replies

• lorarock
    lorarock Posts: 29
    Options
    Dixie
    Embrace and cherish the moments you have. Your husband is a very special man. Work on making memories each day. My heart goes out to you both in all that you are dealing with. Hugs
  • skinniwoman
    skinniwoman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello, I keep coming back here. A long time ago, my sister warned me about gaining weight when I got in 50's, but unfortunately I did not heed her warning. Now I'm over 200pds which I have never been. So now I'm struggling to change that.
    I now walk at least 4 days a week to the bus and back home.
    I take at least 15 min to 60 min walk every day on my lunch break.
    I'm breaking my meals into small meals, which is so much easier now that the kids are gone.
    I'm also alternating food. Like if I have a banna for breakfast, the next time I eat a vegetable for a snack, then the next a fruit. I also started taking a vitamin, which helps alot.
    I'm drinking more water at least 6 to 8 glasses a day.
    Instead of coming home and sitting on this computer, I'm getting house work done, making meals instead of eating out. Also telling myself I'm not dieting, but making a life change.
    Yea I sound positive now, but we'll see. The first couple weeks I always sound positive and then I get sick of watching what I eat. So if anyone has suggestions on how to stay motivate, please pass me a line.
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, in alot of pain with my foot, recovery from this surgery won't be quite as breezy as I thought. Going stir crazy just sitting around but I'm going to al least try to get some sitting streteches in today! It's only day 2 since the surgery and ready for it to be at the 4 week point to get the pin out! Oh well, on the upside maybe this will give my knee flare up a chance to finally settle down.

What type of foot surgery did you have? I had bunion surgery in January, and had to spend 6 weeks with my foot elevated all the time (2 weeks on the ice machine 24/7). I actually managed to not gain any weight through this, which was a nice surprise. It was really old just sitting there, but I read a lot and watched all of the "chick flick" movies that my husband won't look at. Also used the laptop computer a lot to do crosswords, sudoku, e-mail, etc. I'm now 7 months out, still have the pins in, and doing well except for some residual soreness. This too will come to pass! Let me know if you need to vent, since I've been there.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Dear, Dear Dixie. :flowerforyou: I know you're going through a terribly difficult time, I'm so sorry. Your husband sounds like such a wonderful person! Keep a smile if at all possible. Just the simple upturning of the corners of our mouths can work wonders in cheering us up. :smile:

I thought of you when I read this quote by A.A. Milne:

"Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

:heart: jb
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday All! It's another hot one here today. My plan was to get up early and go for a run but even at 7 am it was 20 celsius. We'd been up later than normal after driving to Toronto and back last night and I just didn't feel like it and the heat pushed my decision.

I notice a lot of people asking about different exercise DVD's. I have the 30DS. I find it okay and it's short so one can will their way through it. For me the thing that has worked best has been classes. I know for everyone they aren't an option because sometimes they don't fit in the budget or there isn't good classes in one's area. For me I like them because once in a class you can't stop...or leave...well you could but you know what I mean. When I have done a DVD in the past I've stopped partway through but I have never walked out of a class. Plus I've met a lot of nice supportive people when I go to classes. Last saturday a police cruiser drove by our car then backed up and the passenger window went down and I heard the officer yell how did you make out on the warrior dash. He came to boot camp a few times with us . When I first started going to yoga I worried about this sweating issue and it's taken some time to realize nobody really cares about my sweating but me.

Hope everyone has a great saturday. Stay hydrated!!!
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

My husband is riding 180 miles this weekend for cancer in the Pan Mass Challenge in MA for Dana Farber. It is hot and humid, but he raised $8000! I am thinking of him! As for me, I stood on the scale and same exact weight as yesterday, which is good. That means that, for today, I have to stay focused on calories and stay busy. That way, next week, I may see better results!

Skinniwoman: Keep focused, stay positive and by logging your water, calories and exercise, as well as joining the chats, you will feel better!
    Kathy: Sorry about your foot! Was it bunyon? I have a son with a bad foot (14 years) and he needs surgery. I wonder what recovery will be like?
    Newcomers: Welcome
    Randy: I am so very sorry for the loss of your husband in May. Keep posting for support for yourself.
    Amiscci: Enjoy the girls! Also, congratulations for one more week for your husband's radiation and chemo removal of pump!
    DIXIE: My deepest and hardest prayers go to your husband. We hope you have a ray of sunshine today too (like you said from the woman in the waiting room)

I will think of you all today
    connie
  • Chellbelle60
    Options
    Hi all, have just joined and can definitely identify with many of the posts. Except I am in Australia and it is winter. No snow and it's about 60F which is pretty cold for us. Am sitting in front of a fire trying to resist hot chocolate! I lost lots of weight ( over 100 pounds!) but have put half of it back on again. Mainly due to dropping exercise an taking up wine and chocolate. Sounded like a fair swap to me but my body is not happy!:ohwell: :ohwell: Anyway back on the austerity trail food wise and exercise wise. Keep up the good work and be kind to yourself.:happy:
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My goal for August is to keep a consistent weight loss going. I'm very close to goal and losing at a rate of about 1/4 pound or less a week, but as long as I stay the same or lose even a little bit, I'll be happy.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Smooches to everyone -- so happy to have found this thread, thanks to my new friend mdwmdwmdw (who's also in the Women of a Certain Age group). I'm 55 next month, living in Arlington VA outside DC. My goal for August is pretty modest -- going on a week's beach vacation with my husband, so my aim is not to gain this month! And to log and exercise every day I'm not on vacation, and to get my oldest packed up & off to college without reverting to stress eating.
  • vernessie
    Options
    Hi,my name is Vernessie and i just want to say I just turned 53 years of age on July 31. My goal is to include squats into my daily routine, increase my jogging routine and keep " walking" at a more brisk pace.
  • GildaMireille
    GildaMireille Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm 56 and also from WA State!What a great support system,very thankful to have found you.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Kate - sounds like you have a lot going on so hang in there and you will get in the swing of things. I love your 1st goal, it is very important to stay true to youself , and all the other stuff will be a lot easier.

Welcome Cyndy ! you will find a lot of support here , these ladies are great.

barbiecat - you will be happy to know that I have walked the dog around the block at lest once every day so far. I know that is not much compaired to you all, but it is a start. It is still hot and sticky here so would have done more if not for that.

Dmisty - it is wonderful that you can go off you heart medcine, that is one of the reasons that I want to lose waight. Good luck with the cholesterol.

petalsandpaws- good to hear you will get a little rest, you are doing great. can you maybe count the walking you do when you take hubby for his treatments, and maybe at the rest stops. I know it is hard when you have to spend a lot of time in the car. sending you prayers and hugs via the internet!

djhobs - I am envious of you gals that have a pool or live near a beach!
    I did water arobics with my sister for a while , then she quit ., but I did enjoy it. sounds like you and hubby are having fun! LOL

trustyone - wow I went though this and I had to just get rid of the stuff that I can not leave alone and then I told my hubby and any one else that is in the house that I wasn't eating that anymore, and I still sometimes slip but , I think it helps . Also drink water .

Rose - so happy to hear Matthew is doing so good! My hubby dose things like that , he is trying help, so I wont have to cook as much, I just eat the chicken without the skin , and not to much of the sides and then eat as light as I can the next day, and drink a lot of water. good luck on your weigh in tomorrow.

lorarock - so sorry you are having so much trouble with your sinus, seems like a cold in the summer is even more missrable. hope you feel better soon.

Lixmil- I love hearing about the places you all go! Hope your ankel is alright!

Michele - you have waited so long and the big day is almost here! WOW how excited you must be! I cant wait to here all about it.

Love 22step - I with you full throttle!

Kathy- good to hear all went well with the surgery! you will be up and about in no time, but I'm sure it dosen't feel that way right now.

VogtAndrea - I never thought of the club soda , also it I just have to have something bad, say chocolate , then I find some one to share it with. then I only eat 1/2 the cal.

I have been taking the dog for a walk and do as much walking as I can at work on my brake. doing extra cleaning and trying to be more ative . went to some garage sale with my sister , and I am feeling it to day.
    hope all of you are having a great day , must get back to work.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Learn to use the Vitamix blender my DH just gave me for my birthday -- so many of the recipes sound great! Homemade soup in 15 minutes? Thrilled!

Continue to w/o 4 times a week. I'm doing mostly cardio at this time, though I do at least one circuit training each week. (I'm recovering from heart surgery and on weight restrictions. It just takes a very long time to get any muscle fatigue at 25 pounds a rep!)
  • Renie44
    Renie44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am 68 and have logged in for 145 days in a row and have lost 35lbs so far and another 100lbs to go, but I have slipped and can't see to get it under control and in the past two weeks I have put back on 5lbs. It is so hard to take weight off but so darn easy to put back on. Sometimes if I just think of food I feel the pounds coming back on :laugh:. I know I should walk more and eat less, but I just can't seem to get in under control the way I did in the beginning. Any advice?

Thanks, Irene :drinker:
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies,
    Sometimes you read something that someone posts and you realize that your(mine) issues are so nothing in comparision. @Dixie just like I have read wish I could hug you . You and your husband are in my prayers and thoughts.

Love, Liz
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    To you who are strong, struggling, exhausted, troubled, frustrated, happy, content etc, etc...life gives us all kinds of detours/roads, let's try to always take the right road. But when we don't, let's remember that our family and friends are always there to help us get back on track.
    Everyone have a good day!
  • walker54
    walker54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome to all the Newcomers! Hope you'll keep coming back to check in and share your successes and get encouragement for those tough days along the way.

Dixie, my heart goes out to you. These are difficult days, indeed. The woman you met in the waiting room was an angel to let you know there are plenty of people thinking of you and your husband. I hope that your first few meetings with the folks from your local hospice will put you more at ease. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers. Listen to your DH and stick with your food plan as best you can. He knows how hard it is to do, and how much harder it will be later on if you give up now.

Michelle -- I'm envious of your pool and hot tub! I love swimming, and have talked for years about getting one of those "endless" pools so I could swim laps right at home, but can't convince DH that it's a good idea. Water exercises are the best, and I finally figured out that's one reason I love swimming -- the water keeps me cool and even when I'm working really hard I don't realize that I'm sweating!

Alwaysnancy -- I think you are right. Nobody cares about your sweating but you. Same goes for me. When I'm at the gym everyone is sweating and I don't think anything of it. But I don't like to sweat and I feel like everyone's staring at me. When I work with the trainer he EXPECTS me to sweat, and he seems happier when I do, so I'm going to have to readjust my own attitude about this. I saw a motivational poster that said "Sweat is fat crying." Maybe that will help me.

Amiscci -- If you can squeeze in even a day trip to the beach after your DH's last treatment that would be great, wouldn't it? And if you saw the outline of some abs you should definitely treat yourself to a new swimsuit. They're all on sale now, too!

DeeDee -- Hope you survived your "Fried Food Fest." What a way to show appreciation to folks, huh? Keep "watering" yourself. :drinker: :drinker:

SkinniWoman -- You certainly sound like you've got good goals for August. Check in here daily and maybe that will help you stay positive. My motivation has been sagging these past few weeks because I was stuck at the same weight for almost a month. Yesterday I googled "weight loss inspiration images" and printed off some photos and posters. I've got a stack of them, and I taped a few up in my bathroom so I will see them every morning. When I stop noticing them, I will change them. The one I put up first says something like, "It takes 4 weeks for you to notice changes to your own body. It takes 8 weeks for your friends and family to notice, and it takes 12 weeks for strangers to notice. KEEP GOING" I've been at this for 5 weeks and I'm actually starting to notice a little bit of diffference.

Randy -- I'm sorry for your loss. You have found a good group of women to help you on your way. Good luck with the training starting Monday! Let us know how it goes. I'm sure you'll do better than I did on my first session. I almost fainted and had to lay down on the floor by the front desk while we were scheduling my next appointment! How embarrassing!!!! :embarassed:

Kathy -- So glad your foot surgery went well. Recovery can be frustrating. I had one of my ovaries removed in May, and had weight restrictions for several weeks. Being a couch potato comes naturally to me, but even I got restless after awhile. I read a lot, finished a knitting project, watched movies, and spent a lot of time on my laptop. Do you do any type of hand crafts? I just learned to crochet and am starting a baby sweater as a (possible) gift for my new boss who is expecting. (Depending on how it comes out.)

Rose -- So glad Matthew continues to get good reports. We all have bad days now and then. Just let it be, and go forward.

Meg -- I loved your story about Benny Beagle. I have had two beagle mixes in the past few years. Both had to be put to sleep. One had a seizure that left him paralyzed on one side. We waited a year or so before we got another dog. Our dear Charlie Brown was so sweet and loved to play fetch. He developed all kinds of crazy symptoms and went into multiple organ failure early this spring. After that experience I felt like I couldn't go through it all again, but I must confess that hearing about everyone's pets here is making me wish we had another dog. My son is a junior in high school, and the dogs were "his" (but I did most of the work). I was hoping that DH and I could travel without having to worry about boarding the dog once my son was out of the house, but maybe I should re-think that. Give Benny Beagle an extra cookie from me (if he's allowed). :tongue:

MdwmdwMdw -- Cooler weather sounds awfully nice today. It's near 100 I think, and very humid and sunny today. I'm ready for my second shower. Hot chocolate in the winter is one of my biggest temptations. I hope you are able to resist. Maybe logging in here will help.

Connie -- Your DH's 180-mile bike ride is truly impressive. Congratulations to him! One of my goals is to do a 5-mile bike ride this month. I'm planning a few rides while we are at the beach next week, since it will be flat there. Then I'm aiming for a 20-mile ride by next summer. Do we have any other bikers in the group?

Lentigogirl -- I'm in Fairfax, not too far from you! If I can survive next week's trip to the Outer Banks without gaining that will be great, so I'm in the same place you are on that goal. Sending your oldest off to college will be a challenge. I only have one son, and just doing the college visits is giving me a taste of how difficult that day will be. I'm looking forward to it for his sake, but I know I will cry like a baby. How many more kids will you still have at home? Maybe they wlll keep you too busy so you won't stray too far with your eating.

To all who are struggling with motivation, keep checking in. Log your food. Drink your water. I finally lost one more pound after almost 4 weeks. I want to be one of those women whose ticker says "50 lbs. lost" someday! Have a good evening, all. Keep smiling. We're all doing something good.

Polly
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi ladies! Hope your Saturday is going well. DH and I didn’t get to the dancing last night. Our dinner reservation wasn’t until 7 and it was at one of those places where meals are long and leisurely. We weren’t done til after 9:30 and both of us were full and not in the mood for jumping around! :sick: Lesson learned; small salad or an appetizer prior to dancing!

Today was parent daughter day. My 19 year old and I went shopping for girlie things…makeup, purses, etc. She took me to lunch. She was so proud of using her debit card to pay the bill and I showed her how to add in the tip and where to put it. We had a nice time. She is slowly starting to figure some things out about the world lol….she’s developmentally about 13, but the other day did figure out where to get a frisbee for frisbee golf….she decided she should go to a sporting goods store. I wouldn’t tell her (mean mama), I just kept saying “Gosh I have no idea. I don’t know anything about frisbee golf”. And she figured it out on her own. :wink:

Well this weekend has been a bust so far for food. I will just have to say tomorrow is a new day and get back on the wagon. Two nights of eating out, birthday cake, and lunch out today was too much to put in one week. Better planning is needed!

DeeDee: glad your little baby is better! :wink:

Jen: I have a whiteboard too with my workouts…not that I have been using it the way I intended! Scary lady weights….what I mental image I had of that! :noway:

Barbie: I wouldn’t spend too many tears on Benny Beagle…he was in 7th heaven… I guess he likes bread because DH forgot to shut the pantry door today when he and the other daughter went out….and….another loaf of bread bites the dust. This time is was crusty french bread in ziplock bags, so the brand new zip lock bags were toast too! LOL Get it??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Michelle: (and others!) I guess I should have mentioned the semi-conscious Beagle was semi-conscious because he ate so much he was zonked out. He actually wasn’t sick. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. He was just exhausted from the effort of eating all those muffins! :tongue:

Dixie: I’m so sorry to hear that your husband is ill enough that he has been put on hospice care. Hospice can be a wonderful blessing however; they are fabulous at helping families make the most of what time is left and ensuring comfort at the end. Take advantage of all their services. My mother was put on hospice and I was amazed at all they had to offer. Let them know your wishes and hopes. Your DH sounds like a wonderful man and very wise. You would be disappointed if you fell off the wagon and you may have harder days ahead. You new acquaintance sounds lovely. People can be so kind and generous. All my thoughts and good wishes to you and DH. Please check in when you feel up to it and know you have many friends here sending good thoughts your way.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Polly: One fat-free fake salmon treat to Benny Beagle from you! And he says “thanks!” It’s hard sometimes when you lose them, but I couldn’t live without my babies. We have lost 1 cat and 1 dog in the last 3 years. Now we have 3 cats and the Beagle and our house is a zoo. We joke here that when you open a can of soup, it already has animal hair of some kind in it. :bigsmile:

We are such a chatty group! It is so nice to see so many new people who will bring fresh enthusiasm to our wonderful group. I ‘m sorry I know I missed most of you, but my time is short today. I am thinking of all of you and thank you for all your support. Take care! Meg :drinker:
  • sortachunky
    Options
    I have just joined. I am 64 and weigh 250.0. I was at 306 in January, 2012 but have been going to weight watchers and have lost very well. I am type 2 diabetic, high blood pressure and chronic irritable bowel with diahhrea. I am purposing to lose the rest of my weight, which is another 100 pounds. Need all the encouragement I can get!
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hello there! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I would love to join this group!
    My August goals are as follows:
    --Diversify my cardio by adding Zumba once a week and cardio on the bike for 30 minutes/week.
    Continue to track my workouts on a daily basis.
    Notice changes in my body including increased mobility and/or activity due to changes in my routine.
    Continue to track my new eating regime to see if it's working.

Warm regards,
    Fabulocity