Packing Lunches for Work

Options
Dozrzz
Dozrzz Posts: 245
Hey guys! So I am a teacher and have about 20 minutes for lunch. I was doing alot of frozen lean cuisines and such last year but this year I want to try more fresh foods. I have this really cool lunch box that has all these different cubbies that I plan on using for lunches. It looks like this

lunchboxes-rubbish-free-1.jpg

So what I need are suggestions for different things I can put in the different cubbies! Ideas?? I like variety so the more ideas the better!

Replies

• kadinlucas
    kadinlucas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I recommend a sandwhich, some carrots, grapes and strawberries... Sorry couldn't resist, but the food in the picture looks awesome.

I think carrots are awesome, and snack on about 2 per day.

Maybe some nuts or seeds to have a sneaky snack when the kids are being a pain in the *kitten*.

People seem to have a thing against bread but I wouldn't know what to do for lunch if it wasn't a sandwhich.
  • mecagney
    mecagney Posts: 21
    Options
    Wish more people would respond to this. I struggle with this same problem. The best thing I came up with was baked fish, I used gordons skillet tilipia whatever you like, tropical salsa and quinoa with roasted veggies. Yum! I felt like I was eating fancy. By the. Way where did you get that cute lunchbox?
  • Dozrzz
    Options
    I have done where I grilled up a bunch of chicken breast tenderloins and eat 2 for lunch either in a wrap with some cheese and salsa, or maybe chopped up with some pasta. But I like have different things to snack on too. I like the nuts ideas to snack on. Do you use dips with your carrots? I usually don't like carrots much, but with a dip maybe it would be more interesting lol. Or some broccoli and a dip? I don't know... lol
  • mahardin
    mahardin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would troll around Pinterest.com and see if there are any new sandwich ideas. I'm always a fan of hummus with veggies, cottage cheese (add Lawry's salt if you want it not so bland), Babybel cheeses, couscous, and soup! You could get a thermos and have things to dip in the soup in the cubbies...

Here is a link to "cubby based adult lunches": http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/Littlelunches
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    I do a lot of food prep on sundays becuase I take my lunch to work. usually take chicken/ brown rice with a fruit or veggie.. tuna with 1 TBS mayo and a pickle / triscut crackers and fruit of your choice. grilled chicken into a salad with yogurt or fruit. I save my lean cuisines for a craving like pizza or mexican food . I am trying to stay off frozen dinners but if I do I also eat friut or veggie with it so I am not hungry an hour later.
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Nothing says you can't make extra at supper and pack those cubbies when you are done. Who cares if you just have a little bit. Might as well use it up if you have it.

Hummus is another great thing I love to have with some carrots or whatever your fav veggies are to eat!

Good luck and do research the net..there are lots of great ideas!
  • MissItalianPrincess
    Options
    Where did you get that awesome lunch box? I, too, am a teacher and always struggled with different things to take besides the usual. I am also trying to avoid eating the extra lunches the kids get completely this year, so that lunch box would help to vary my ideas. I don't want to do Lean Cuisines or other frozen meals either anymore.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My friend taught me this delicious lunch i make on the regular. First you cut up 3 pieces of bacon and start browning them, then throw in 3 cloves of garlic and some veggies like carrots and cucumbers. Let those heat up and then put a splash of white wine which gets the bacon flavor off the pan. Finally, put in a whole bunch of mustard greens, mix it up and then put a lid on it for a minute so it starts to wilt.

I usually have that on quinoa or boiled sweet potato. around 360 calories depending what you put it on and it's a ton of food.
  • ZEESLIM
    ZEESLIM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Carrots and hummus
    Wheat thin chips and wholly guacamole (they come in 100 cal snack packs)
    Apple sauce and granola thin dark chocolate squares
    Celery and PB
    Leftover chili with shredded cheddar and cracker

Tuna salad sandwich with bread-and-butter pickles on bread of your choice. Pack the pickles separately so they don't get the bread soggy. Chips

Heat a baked potato (bake an extra one the night before) in the microwave, then stuff with shredded cheese and cooked broccoli, and zap again until cheese is bubbly.
  • angieb327
    angieb327 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was thinking hummus and crackers. Yogurt. Sliced turkey and cheese rolled up and microwaved to melt the cheese slightly. With or without crackers. And of course, water.
  • swkittrell
    Options
    Great ideas! I work the front desk at a high school and am always looking for good ideas for lunch. I try to take my lunch because if I leave and I have had a bad morning I will try to eat something to "make me feel better" It's just easier to play it safe.
  • Dozrzz
    Options
    Where did you get that awesome lunch box? I, too, am a teacher and always struggled with different things to take besides the usual. I am also trying to avoid eating the extra lunches the kids get completely this year, so that lunch box would help to vary my ideas. I don't want to do Lean Cuisines or other frozen meals either anymore.

Believe it or not, I got it at Office Depot while I was shopping for post-its and things for my desk! It just looked interesting and I bought a special insulating sleeve that fits over it to keep things cooler longer. Very cool!
  • Dozrzz
    Options
    So many great ideas!!! YES! I haven't tried hummus but it sounds like I should give that one a try with some veggies.

When you guys do yogurt that isn't the little individual kind, what kind do you use? I was thinking of mixing in my own granola or fruits or something... I'm just not sure it is worth it. May just as well use the premixed individual cups?? What do you think?
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    *Meal Ideas:

-Sandwiches on wheat bread or sandwich thins

-Lunch meat with crackers & cheese (could be sliced cheese, Laughing Cow, veggie cream cheese)

-Pita pockets-- grilled chicken, avocado, lettuce, cucumber, splash of ranch (Bolthouse Yogurt one is amazing and only 45 cals/serving). Use different spices on the chicken & different sauces to make different flavor profiles.

-Lean Cuisine meal w/ yogurt, fruit, or veggies on side

-Bean & cheese burrito

-Leftovers from dinner

*Sides: I usually bring baby carrots, variety of munchy veggies (carrots, bell pepper, celery, cucumber) with dip, or fruit. I like the Special K Cracker Chips (Sour Cream & Onion flavor) for a treat if I'm craving chips (only 110 cals for 27 chips; 1/2 a serving is usually perfect)

*Snack/Dessert: I love the Trader Joe's Fiberful Rolled Oats & Chocolate Chips granola bars for a mid-afternoon chocolate fix (only 120 calories, 3.5g fat, 9g fiber)
  • Nyranee
    Nyranee Posts: 57
    Options
    I cook on the weekend all lunches for the week. Usually two types of chickenbreast (different spices) all done in the same pan. Then I have a three layer steamer where I prepare 5 types of vegetables. and a rice cooker where I cook brown rice for 5 meals. Pack it in boxes, heat in in the office and voila very healthy meal. Sometimes I do Pasta with a light sauce all selfmade never any ready packs, sometimes a sandwhich but I am not much of a bread person, sometimes omlette and salad.

For me this works well.

In addition I pack in smaller boxes the fruit potions for the day and one tread.

Works well for me but I could never live from sandwhiches as my main meal and lunch is my main meal.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Google bento boxes for some great suggestions of how to use a lovely compartmentalised box like that.

I'd go for:

something high protein, a chicken breast, sliced ham, some cheese or nuts. Or a boiled egg.
    A variety of crunchy veg - carrots, peppers, cucumbers
    Something a bit fancy - black olives, marinated artichokes,
    And some fruit - strawberries, grapes, sliced pear, satsuma
  • StephStepByStep
    StephStepByStep Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Brown rice
    Chicken
    Veggies and hummus (I LOVE Tribe roasted red pepper hummus!) ...with carrots/celery/cucumbers/cherry tomatos.
    Fruits! Try new fruit each day....I LOVE mangos/kiwis/strawberries/cherries/bananas! Dried fruit is also good, but could have lots of sugars so be careful!
    Grapefruit - Keeps me full and it's so large for so few calories! I eat it plain.
    Oatmeal - I mix my oatmeal with a Tbs of peanut butter and a half mashed banana..yummy!
    Cooked Mixed vegetables with low sodium soy sauce
    Beans
    Nuts - Almonds are great!
    Salad
    Hard boiled eggs
    Peanut butter and apples
    Baked sweet Potato fries (Amazing!!)
    Salmon
    Tuna
    Cottage cheese
    Apple sauce
    Yogurt
    Cereal

Well, these are pretty much the foods I've been eating for the past month so I hoped I helped! Now I'm hungry... :)
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    I alot of times do what was suggested in an earlier comment.... leftovers from the night before,rice , chicken,salad. portions are useally 3-6 ounces 1/2 cup etc so fit pretty good in a plastice container. nuts for a snack. Mine isn't as well contained when I add salad and a container of measured dressing but leftovers are clean eating plus saves money on extra items for lunch.:bigsmile:
  • pippinboy9
    pippinboy9 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the previous comments, so I apologize if I'm repeating ideas that have already been given.

Salad...lots and lots of salad. They're so versatile!! Get creative with them too. Spinach, herb mix, spring mix, romaine, carrots, tomatoes, celery, zucchini, cucumber, broccoli, grapes, strawberries, oranges, apple, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries....the list is endless. You can mix and match, make your own dressing, blah blah blah.

I'm a huge vegetable eater, so automatically I think of putting in extra celery etc for a little snack.

Yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus......anything goes when it comes to dip!

Cut up your fave fruits

Wraps....any kind you like. I find they're a nice change from a "boring" sandwich. Try lettuce wraps too....just use a large lettuce leaf instead of bread or tortilla/pita.

hmmmm, maybe I shouldn't have commented on this just now....I'm starting to get hungry lol.
  • BexleyGirl
    BexleyGirl Posts: 102
    Options
    bump