Too Fat to go to the gym??? WHAT!?!?

Options

Replies

• ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    Options
    If I could afford to go to the gym I totally would.. regardless of how I look.
  • st3f4real
    st3f4real Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am just too tired from gaining so quickly this week and not going to the gym. I think that means I really need to go today! So I can change my outlook. I AM NOT TOO FAT TO GO TO THE GYM. BUT I am too fat so I feel tired yet I always find time and energy to EAT.
  • Uxorial
    Uxorial Posts: 38
    Options
    For those of you that can't afford a gym, check your local Y and see if they offer a sliding membership scale, mine does.

As for the original question, at 5'4" I started going to the gym at almost 300 lbs.

No one ever said anything negative to me. Instructors always helped me and if I took a class without singling me out they would show me ways to do things that were more in line with my abilities.

IF you are super worried that they gym will be judgmental, ask around and get a feel for the gyms in your area. For example, if you are a woman you can go to Curves or women only gyms or sections which are great for people starting out.
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    Honestly, I could not even tell you what reactions people have to me when I am at the gym. When I am there, I am in my zone. I am focused only on my workout and I don't even see the other people there. They may as well not even be there because as far as I can tell, I am all alone. I walk in, do my business without even looking left or right, don't make eye contact with anyone unless my trainer catches my eye and gives me a smile, and leave. As far as I can tell, no one even notices or cares. And I am not subtle. I sweat a lot, grunt, pant, laugh out loud at myself when I practically fall off the equipment, and generally don't give a crap about the people around me. I don't go there for support or friends. I don't go there to have a cheering section. I go there to challenge myself, get sweaty, and get myself one step closer to my goal. That's it.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I started at over 300lbs. Sure I got stares but, honestly I didn't give a d*mn and still don't. :laugh:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,997 Member
    Options
    I have been to several different gyms and never had anyone stare at me or make rude comments. But I did feel self conscience going. I think it is our own insecurities that keep us from wanting to go. But the gym is one of the best places we can be. We need to remember it shows we are doing something to get healthy, better then sitting at home with a bag of chips
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    The only people who ever criticized me for being a fatass at the gym were other fatasses. And, I think the only reason they even said something was either because they were insecure or because they REALLY wanted a cheeseburger instead of being on the elliptical. Either way, I let people think what they want to think, and don't really worry about it. It's my body, not theirs, so they can suck it up if they don't want to see fatasses at the gym.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Not me personally but I have seen it happen and it's horrible! I watched a car drive by an overweight girl running once and they told her to "stay in her lane fata$$" I wanted to cry for her. At least she was out there doing something about it, she was trying and working very hard.(She ran by every other day) after that I never saw her again.

Point is that I think it is in our heads sometimes, but other times people really are bullied and it makes it harder to not be insecure about working out in public.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I think that Ms jr1985 is right...

People should be commended for working out... When I started working out at the Y about a year ago, I had weighed over 300 lbs... Everyone at the Y had been very supportive...

I now weigh only 181.2... I would never make fun of anyone who is overweight and trying to become healthier. The gym is not for perfect body people only!!!!
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym to work out since I was 15. I loved it then, love it now. It feels like home to me. I don't even notice or care if someone looks at me sideways for being fat. (5'3", 200+). I have a right to be there, just as much as they do. I've been to the gym when my body was probably enviable, and now I go and I work at getting my body to where I want it to be - healthy and fit. I don't kid myself, there are probably people looking at me with disgust, but they don't know me, and only awful petty people judge based on looks alone. I stare at the really fit ones at the gym. It is impressive.
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think it is the coolest thing when very obese people go and work out...honestly it is motivation. I am not small myself, but I just like seeing that people are taking their situation in to their own hands. If they are getting "looks", it may be that people are happy to see them, but like me..I don't want to say something and possibly hurt anyones feelings.

Now, as for people being rude in the gym..these are the two things I have seen.

1. A woman who talks crap (very loudly), about what other people are wearing and how much they sweat. Now, what makes this even worse is this woman is very large also, wears a face full of make-up with her hair completely done. She sits on the bike hardly moving, usually with a starbucks frozen coffee, and picks apart people with her friend. If she had any sense, she would put down that 400 calorie drink and try and burn some calories.

2. I was scared to apply at Lifetime fitness several years ago. They opened a brand new facility here, and needed sales representatives. At that time, I weighed only about 180 pounds, so I was smaller than I am today, but not 120 pounds obviously. I had a great interview and the was brought back 6 more times until I finally interviewed with the head manager. The interview went great also and he told me to call him the next day to work out a training schedule. When I called, he told me that he decided "Lifetime fitness was not for people like you." I guess he was too afraid to tell me in person that I was too fat to work there.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I could not even tell you what reactions people have to me when I am at the gym. When I am there, I am in my zone. I am focused only on my workout and I don't even see the other people there. They may as well not even be there because as far as I can tell, I am all alone. I walk in, do my business without even looking left or right, don't make eye contact with anyone unless my trainer catches my eye and gives me a smile, and leave. As far as I can tell, no one even notices or cares. And I am not subtle. I sweat a lot, grunt, pant, laugh out loud at myself when I practically fall off the equipment, and generally don't give a crap about the people around me. I don't go there for support or friends. I don't go there to have a cheering section. I go there to challenge myself, get sweaty, and get myself one step closer to my goal. That's it.

This! Brilliant.
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was very scared to start working out at the gym because I go to a University affiliated gym and everyone there is in their early 20s or younger, and everyone is FIT. At first I would only work out an hour before closing time at night, when I was sure there wouldn't be too many eyes on me.

I let that initial fear go but sometimes it gets to me to be the fattest girl at the gym... I have gotten some looks from others there, but never comments.

The worst comments I ever got was actual from one of the guys working there, a personal trainer. I was talking to him to hear about booking an appointment for a personalized workout plan. He kept brushing me off and telling me "Well, you won't lose weight just by working out". He was just completely uninterested in me. As if me being overweight meant I just wasn't worth his time. Still mad about it to this day!
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I was terrified before I joined the gym but now I'm pretty comfortable there. The only people that have ever given me looks are those who walk on the treadmill for ten minutes then leave or bring a bag of cheeseburgers to the gym and eat it there. If they don't like looking at my fat butt running on the treadmill, they can look away and focus on why they're there in the first place instead of being weird and gawking at others. Most people, though, have either just been focused on their own workout or have been cordial to me.

Eventually you learn that the mean people just aren't worth your time or respect and that they are sad, miserable human beings that rely on belittling others to make their own pathetic lives seem worthy. It may be harsh but it's true.
  • filomenae
    filomenae Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I first started going, I wasn't paid attention to at all. I was overweight and the "fit" people were only looking at other "fit" people. Now, as I've gotten much stronger and smaller, people pay attention to me, or stare at me, etc,. It's a little backwards in my case.

Last summer, when I first started running for pleasure/weight loss, I was made fun of relentlessly by people driving or walking by. They would call me "disgusting" "pig" "fat" "huge" or make comments like, "Maybe you'll actually lose weight if you keep running." It scared me from running outside for a long time because all through out my school years from elementary to high school, I had been bullied mercilessly and scared out of school at times. Upon losing more weight, I began to go running outside more often and now I run to and from the gym 3-4 times a week. : )
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Ok, so while I know that you are never too fat to work out at the gym... It sure felt like it yesterday! Ok... so I hadn't been to the gym in a couple of weeks, until Monday, and have been going consistently since then... I decided to do the stair climber... Holy Crap that is hard! I'm not kidding you I could not even climb my 5 minutes without having to stop for 30 seconds half way through... I was panting like crazy after only 5 minutes and 15 flights... Did 20 flights yesterday... with 2 breaks... I'm sure people were looking at me thinking I should just get off if I couldn't handle it, but I'm making progress, little by little each day...

I also started weight lifting again... the absolute most I lifted with my arms was 70lbs, and 100 with my legs... I used to consistently be able to lift 40-100lbs with my arms depending on the machine, and 100-200 with my legs... I feel like I have the upper body strength of a 4 yr old with cerebral palsey! But slowly sticking with it!
  • hlinn01
    hlinn01 Posts: 36
    Options
    Try some yoga pants, they are ultra comfortable and I don't feel they show everyone every little crinkle or fold.
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    I'm 401 pounds and I go to the gym.. sure I get some looks but I just ignore them.
    most likely looks of "good for him".
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Has anyone on here actually been made fun of for being out of shape at the gym personally? Or is a lot of it in their heads that they think people will make fun of them there?

When I was overweight and started going to the gym, I hated people looking at me. Many of them smiled. I hated that. I thought they were being condescending and rude. I thought they were snickering at me. It was disheartening.

I went to the gym a few weeks ago and a heavy person came in and my first thought was "look at her! She's in here working hard, doing the same thing I did! What a great accomplishment". So I smiled and nodded.

And I realized, at that moment, that most of the people who were smiling at me when I was heavy were probably thinking the same thing I do now.

Plus, of course, I kept going to the gym despite what I thought people thought - because if I didn't, it would never change. I didn't lose weight to impress anyone, I lost weight so I could live longer.
  • turquoise3
    turquoise3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to go to the gym, but if i could i would. This is slightly off topic, but still in the same vein... i actually had some young teenage boys make fun of me the other day for going for a cycle... A cycle in a PUBLIC park. It was disgraceful. I'm just thankful i have a thick skin. Some people are d1ckheads.