The word 'Veggie'

Options

Replies

• smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    oh good lord! i suppose you still say brassiere instead of bra and pantaloons instead of panties? talk about making something out of nothing.

Nope, the OP (being a Brit) wouldn't say panties, she'd say knickers. Or maybe pants. But pants are what guys wear. :drinker:

I dislike the word veggies, mainly because I hear it so often on Food Network I want to slam my head against a wall. I am guilty of saying 'veg' though.

Also, the person who made the big post about the sociological development of the English language? I like your point, but from a purely anthro-linguistic standpoint, English didn't develop until the start of the last millenium. 2000 years is a bit of a stretch.

I'm feeling pedantic today.

Hee hee good point :)

:D;)
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with veggies. I've been calling them veggies over 40 years and they've never mentioned anything to me about feeling demeaned or disrespected. Seeing as how I've had a nearly monogamous relationship with them for over 20 years, I think they would have said something by now.

:flowerforyou:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Ok, this whole thing is so hilarious. I like the word veggies because vegetables just makes me think of tables made out of veggies.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I think the OP doesn't appreciate the shortened version of the word VEGETABLES to VEGGIES. It is demeaning, disrespectful and disgusting. I agree with her
    #firstworldproblems
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    On a related note, Beef burgers recently told me they're demeaned and disrespected by being called Hamburgers.
    QFT: "I'm not Ham!"
  • healthychanges1
    Options
    i refuse to ask for forgiveness!

I tried to appologize but my tomato just cuked......

HAHA that made me giggle :laugh:
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with veggies. I've been calling them veggies over 40 years and they've never mentioned anything to me about feeling demeaned or disrespected. Seeing as how I've had a nearly monogamous relationship with them for over 20 years, I think they would have said something by now.

I'm a veggie. Have been for 20 years.

I've also been with veggies for nearly 30 years. I would class it as an intimate relationship (I swallow) and I have not heard a single complaint from myself or the edible plants I have chosen to imbibe.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options

I've also been with veggies for nearly 30 years. I would class it as an intimate relationship (I swallow) and I have not heard a single complaint from myself or the edible plants I have chosen to imbibe.

Oh yes!!!! A fellow swallower!! Nice to meet ya :bigsmile:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    "Veggie Tales" sounds so much better than "Vegetable Tales"

If you like to talk to Tomatoes :happy: If a Squash can make you Smile
    If you like to Waltz with Potatoes :heart: Up and Down the Produce Aisle
    HAVE WE GOT A SHOW FOR YOU!!
    Veggie Tales, Veggie Tales, Veggie Tales, Veggie Tales
    Veggie Tales, Veggie Tales, Veggie Tales, Veggie Tales
    Broccoli, Celery, Gotta Be
    VEGGIE TALES
    Lima Beans! Collard Greens! Peachy Keen!
    Veggie Tales! Cauliflower! Sweet and Sour! Half An Hour!
    VEGGIE TALES!
    There's Never ever, ever, ever, ever, been a show like Veggie Tales
    There's Never, Ever, Ever, Ever, Ever Been a Show like Veggie Tales!!

:laugh: IT'S TIME FOR VEGGIE TALES!!
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    the 2 people that don't like it are from england. is there a brit slang word that is similar or something?

now i'm actually curious if its a regional thing!

No we just say the whole word. Vegetables.

I'm from England and I use term veggies :indifferent: or veg. Depends how I feel. I rarely call them vegetables.

I am lazy though :laugh:
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I've also been with veggies for over 30 years. I would class it as an intimate relationship (I swallow) and I have not heard a single complaint from myself or the edible plants I have chosen to imbibe.

Oh yes!!!! A fellow swallower!! Nice to meet ya :bigsmile:

Howya! :bigsmile:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    With all the problems of the world, with all the daily stresses of life...

There is nothing in the world that crosses my mind less than people saying "veggies"
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "veggies" but "spotted ****" sound scrumptious!
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I meant I hate the way people shorten the word vegetables to veggies. Its a horrible word. Why can't they use the full original word?

um... lots of words get shortened... for example... 'can not' is often shortened to 'can't' when the original full words could as easily be used *winks and smiles*

I don't hate the shortening of words. I'm all for it. The word I have a problem with is 'veggie' - it gives me the creeps. Its irrational, but its how I feel.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Having a bad day?

Haha right? Who cares? I say it and everyone understands what I'm talking about.

You cared enough to comment....

Got you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    On a related note, Beef burgers recently told me they're demeaned and disrespected by being called Hamburgers.
    QFT: "I'm not Ham!"

ROFL!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    YES! I don't like abbreviations in general.

Edit - and I am from England.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I meant I hate the way people shorten the word vegetables to veggies. Its a horrible word. Why can't they use the full original word?

um... lots of words get shortened... for example... 'can not' is often shortened to 'can't' when the original full words could as easily be used *winks and smiles*

I don't hate the shortening of words. I'm all for it. The word I have a problem with is 'veggie' - it gives me the creeps. Its irrational, but its how I feel.

Very honest to admit that! I am the same way about the word "hubby" for husband. It makes me want to wretch!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I've seen countless threads lamenting the use of "hubby," "preggers," and "vacay" but this is the first time I have ever seen one about "veggie." I always thought of it as a neutral word you use with kids. It sounds more playful than "vegetables."

Yes, these are others.........

Preggers and Vacay.

Say Pregnant or Vacation.

Yes. And if anyone calls a holiday "holibobs" or Christmas "Crimbo" I will NOT be held responsible for my actions, which may well include smacking the offending person hard over the head with a blunt object.
  • EastCoast_Girl
    Options
    Nope....I Love veggies! Veggies are good for you! Do you eat veggies even if you dont like the word?