I don't like veggies so how do I eat healthy?

Options

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Just ****ing eat them. Seriously. Learn to choke them down. They are good for you. Not everything you stick in your mouth has to be rewarding and delicious.

Can't stand ****ing cucumbers or carrots... gotta eat them though.
    this. man up, ffs.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    What everyone said! Keep trying things. Remember, too that tastes change over time. As a child, I could not eat anything dark green without throwing up (asparagus, greens, etc.). Over time, I began eating these things in combination with other foods, in a lasagna, for example. Now we regularly eat all of these things. I still find, though, that leafy greens must have some lemon juice or vinegar added to take away whatever it is in them that I can't stomach.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same as you. Maybe even worse!

But I promise you - if you just keep trying, keep eating them - little by little the veggies you hated will actually taste good.

I can even eat broccoli now! Which, if you know me, is totally amazing.

Here are the veggies / fruits I can now eat that I actively disliked less than a year ago;

green beans
    cauliflower
    spinach
    asparagus
    peas
    peaches
    dates
    black beans
    butternut squash
    zucchini

and I am adding more all the time!
  • ScottRy76
    ScottRy76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can try going to a health store and picking up a box of Green Pak, its a powder vegetable juice and it has all the nutrients you need in it. It comes in berry and chocolate, just pour into water shake up and drink. Its about 30 bucks though, I found the best way to get my vegetable servings in is to juice them in my juicer, or like alot of people mentioned use a blender. You could also try a juice bar that makes green juice with fruits you dont even taste the vegetable with the fruit being so sweet. Just some suggestions I dont eat veggies I drink them much like you i hate veggies, so i just take shots of them from my juicer.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Everywhere I read, to eat healthy it talks about eating veggies, salads, etc. I don't like the majority of vegetables and the ones I do are not considered good veggies. I don't like salads either. So, how is it possible for me to find a healthy eating habit with that said? I don't want to force myself to eat something that I don't like because I know I won't stick to it. Please help.

Here are a list of foods mostly eaten in my house: Hamburger meat, pork chops, chicken, mac-n-cheese, rice/gravy, corn, sweet peas, various boxed items, spaghetti, hot dogs.

I'm really trying to make a lifestyle change and I've gotten my exercising down but I know my eating habits are keeping me from progressing more.

Any help, tips or suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Have you ever tried ROASTING your vegi's? They are a totally different animal when roasted... caramelized, sweet or salty... they are a delicious way to eat them....
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Everywhere I read, to eat healthy it talks about eating veggies, salads, etc. I don't like the majority of vegetables and the ones I do are not considered good veggies. I don't like salads either. So, how is it possible for me to find a healthy eating habit with that said? I don't want to force myself to eat something that I don't like because I know I won't stick to it. Please help.

Here are a list of foods mostly eaten in my house: Hamburger meat, pork chops, chicken, mac-n-cheese, rice/gravy, corn, sweet peas, various boxed items, spaghetti, hot dogs.

I'm really trying to make a lifestyle change and I've gotten my exercising down but I know my eating habits are keeping me from progressing more.

Any help, tips or suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Have you ever tried ROASTING your vegi's? They are a totally different animal when roasted... carmelized, sweet or salty... they are a delicious way to eat them....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I like adding a cup or two of frozen mixed vegetables to things like rice or pasta. They absorb the flavor of whatever sauce or seasoning I'm using... and I end up eating less of the rice or pasta in the process.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    As a lot of people have said....experiment with different ways to prepare them.

When I started out just the thought of veggies made me gag. Yes, I liked carrots and celery but only raw. I started the roasting and steaming like everyone suggested. Now I finish off my veggies before the rest of the meal. Sometimes the veggies are the Whole meal.

As for salads.....I just had a really good one with the spring mix, iceberg and spinach. Toss on some strawberries, blu cheese, grape tomatoes and pecans with a low fat raspberry vinaigrette.........my taste buds were dancing! Work your way up to it is all I can suggest.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    With veggies you have to be creative; I agree if they are really something you don't like, you have to make yourself do it and as a motivation keep telling yourself "this is for a healthier me". I know with me, for raw veggies I dip them :) try veggie dip and flavored hummus. You'd be surprise how good it is. Make sure you check the caloric content of the veggie dip but at least that can get you started OR something else that just came to mind--JUICE IT
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Without vegetables you have no defense against cancer, especially colon cancer. Do you like cancer? Probably not.

The more you eat them, the more you will like them. Try to stretch yourself a little.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Do you have kids?. If so, it's not just the choices you are making but what your kids are learning too. Vegetables are very handy for losing weight - low in calories, packed in nutrients, and full of fiber. As many of the posters have said, experiment and try new ways and you will eventually find ways to like them. My DH never ate vegetables until we married and now asks every night what veggies we are having with supper. It can be learned.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Without vegetables you have no defense against cancer, especially colon cancer. Do you like cancer? Probably not.

The more you eat them, the more you will like them. Try to stretch yourself a little.

Good point.
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It might just be a matter of texture and flavoring of the vegetables that you don't like. Some people prefer their veggies to be crunchy like me. Try cooking them different ways such as baking them on a cookie sheet with EEVO, garlic, salt, and pepper, sauteeing them in a skillet, or sneaking them in with casseroles. Also, I have found a plant-based protein powder at Sprout's farmers market that I really like that I mix together with almond milk. There are different kinds of salads you can make without lettuce such as fruit and bean salads. Use your blender, and put some spinach, brussel sprouts, and green apples for a green smoothie. Experiment with different foods and spices. Get a good cookbook or google recipes. Growing up, we ate the same kind of foods, and as an adult, my taste buds have changed, and I like more veggies now.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I second all the comments about trying different preparation methods. I love veggies, but there are some that I only like raw, some that I only like cooked, some that I only like roasted, etc etc. It could very well be that you just don't like the ways they've been served!

You can do this - just keep trying new ways of cooking them (or not), and new foods - you might be very pleasantly surprised.

PS - I hate salads, too. Who needs them - I get my veggies in other ways.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't know how anyone can dislike roast sweet potato, pumpkins & onion. THE Greatest veggies!

A few of my recipes that may help get you're veggies in. (macros are P/C/F)

Oddball's Crustless Pumpkin Pie 8 serves 98 cals 12/7/3

Ingredients

500g pumpkin
    2 Whole Eggs+6 more Whites(***or 5 whole eggs***changes macros)
    3 Teaspoons Stevia(Or 1/2 Cup Splenda***changes macros)
    250g low fat ricotta cheese
    1/2 Table Spoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
    1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
    1 scoop vanilla casein

Beat the ricotta cheese in kitchen aid or a bowl untill smooth. Add in
    the remaining ingredients and beat/mix well. Pour mixture into a pie dish
    or bakeing dish. Bake at 350 Degrees for about 40 minutes or until
    the center feels firm and a knife insterted comes out clean. Let
    cool and chill before serving, it sets cold

Pumpkin Ice cream 2 serves 210 cals 26/25/0 per serve

200ml of ff greek yogurt
    1.5 cups skim milk
    1 cup of pumpkin puree
    1 scoop vanilla casein
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp of xanthan gum
    cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves to taste

Pumpkin/Banana Protein Bread 9 serves 149 cals 13/20/1

150g Flour/Pancake Mix (both work)
    1 Egg
    2 White
    125ml skim Milk
    300g Pumpkin
    80g Banana
    80g apple sauce
    8g Sf/FF banana Pudding
    1tspn Splenda
    1tspn Cinnamon
    1tspn nutmeg
    1tspn Baking Powder
    80g Vanilla Whey

Topping
    200ml low fat yoghurt
    1tspn unsweetened gelatine
    8g sf/ff banana pudding

Bake 180c for 30 minutes

Thai PB Chicken (slow cooked) 3 serves 645 cals 84/24/18
    Breast Chicken 750g
    mixed frozen veggies 1kg
    ginger 1tspn
    garlic 2 tspns
    soy 1.5 tspns
    natural pb 2 tsbpns
    salsa (300g)
    lime 2tspns

Zip’s Chicken Pot Pie 2 serves 700 cals 79/59/12

550g chicken breast (uncooked weight)
    500g mixed veggies
    1 egg
    1/2 cup skim milk
    250ml can cream of chicken soup
    1 cup (130g) orgran buckwheat pancake mix

1. Mix chicken, veggies & soup mix in a greased baking pan
    2. Mix egg, milk & pancake mix & pour over chicken etc.
    3. Bake at 205C for 30mins or until golden brown

No pasta lasagne 267 cals 32/14/8

Makes 6 serves

Ingredients
    500g mince meat
    500g zucchini
    1 jar of pasta sauce
    150g sour cream
    300g low fat cottage cheese
    250g mixed veggies
    4 egg whites
    75g low fat cheese (mozzarella would be best)

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 180c(375f)
    2. Slice zucchini into thin slices
    3. Brown mince meat. Drain & set aside.
    4. Nuke frozen veggies
    5. In a bowl mix sour cream, cottage cheese, egg and veggies
    6. Mix mince with pasta sauce.
    7. Spray a baking pan and start layering. (zucchini, white mix, meat, zucchini etc. etc.)
    8. Cover the top with adequate cheese
    9. Cover with foil and bake for 45 mins and then remove the foil and bake for another 10min or so.

from here
    http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/nopasta_lasagna

Crustless spinach pie Serves 4 169 cals 21/6/6

1 cup 1% cottage cheese (I use low fat, 25% less sodium)
    100g low fat cheese
    1/4 cup yellow onion (and any other veggies you like - mushrooms, red/green peppers, tomatoes, etc.)
    200g frozen baby spinach (you can use fresh as well)
    3 large eggs (or egg whites)
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    2 cloves garlic

USE FRESH SPINACH and wilt over low heat in pan.
    CHOP ONION and mince garlic.
    COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS in medium bowl.
    SPRAY PIE DISH with non-stick spray. Pour mixture into pan.
    BAKE AT 350 °F (175 °C) for 45-50 minutes.
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Make pasta salad with a ton of vegetables. I put finely chopped broccoli and shredded carrots in mine, but you could put pretty much anything in it. You can also experiment with different dressings and add low fat chuck cheeses, ham cubes and beans.

Chili is flexible, and you can pretty much add any extras or swap the vegetables, beans or meat to what suits you better. Try black bean and pumpkin chili. You don't taste the pumpkin, just a hint of sweetness.

I hide shredded zucchini in black bean burgers. You can shred potatoes or carrots in meat balls. Vegetables are easy to mask in meat loaves.

Sweet potatoes, pumpkins and other winter squashes can be made either sweet or savory depending on what spices and seasonings you put in it.

I personally love the microwavable broccoli and cheese (since I can't seem to make it from scratch). Green Giant has quite a few freezer vegetable choices that have sauce and seasonings. It was a good start for me.

Green beans can be cooked with a little pig fat (pork bacon or ham chunks). Add red potatoes for a meal.

Make a pocket in boneless skinless chicken breast and stuff a mixture of ricotta cheese and spinach.

Homemade stuffing can be a meal with sausage, dried fruits, vegetables and nuts. I use whole wheat bread in mine.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Actually, I would avoid the typical lettuce ball. They have no nutrients. Try to get the other ones that are fluffier looking. As for eating veggies, you might want to try buying a book on oriental cooking or a book on how to cook veggies. I squeeze them in by sauteing green and red bell peppers with meats and I've been known to do a vegetable mix with butter (improves them). How about grilling them? If you have a grill, grilled veggies sometimes are amazing. Steamed carrots are pretty good and mix well into a dish. Onions can be used sauteed with meat to add flavor. You could take the veggies and puree them and make a sauce which you cook in oil .

Here's a mix: tomato, green onions, cilantro, and a bit of oil (about even on all veggies) - cook till mushy - use as toppers or to add spice to soups.

I make mini-pizzas and chop green/red bell peppers into tiny pieces so they are barely noticeable - onions chopped tiny work too. The cheese masks them.

Basically, chop small and blend in.

As to the person who said veggies are not important, that's baloney. There are lots of vitamins you get from veggies that are incredible for the body. Do you have to bombard yourself? No. But, the advantage of veggies like tomatoes or banana peppers or others is that they are LOW IN CALORIES and will help fill you up. That's what's great.

I would start trying to cook them and find some books (library might have some) to test out ideas until you find some great ways to prepare them so you like them.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Vegan Shepherds Pie

Ingredients

1 cup lentils (cooked or canned)
    3 lg Baking potatoes
    3 Garlic; minced
    1 Onion; diced
    1 Stalk celery; diced
    2 tb Vegetarian Worcestershire
    1 ts Dried tarragon
    Salt to taste
    1/2 ts Coarse black pepper
    1 cup peas
    Paprika
    1 cup carrots

Preparation

Boil potatoes until tender. Mash with your favourite milk substitute or water. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350F/180C.

Saute onion, garlic and celery in your favourite liquid until tender. Off the heat, add lentils,

Worcestershire sauce, tarragon, salt and pepper. Mix well and transfer to non-stick or Pam-sprayed 1.5l casserole dish (I used a 24 cm pie dish). Spread evenly.

Top with peas and carrots and spread with mashed potato. Sprinkle paprika on top.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden on top.

gravy
    - if you like gravy, then you would probably like a number of different creamed vegetables (basically veggies in gravy/white sauce)
    - shepherds pie
    - potatoes and gravy
    - mushroom gravy

[/quote]

shepherd's pie? i only have a recipe for it, from scratch, not left overs and it's a beautiful display of fat and grease.... it's tasty as anything but I can't imagine eating much of it while I'm dieting... do you have a good , somewhat healthy recipe to share?
    [/quote]
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are a totally different animal. <snrrck>

:tongue:
    Have you ever tried ROASTING your vegi's? They are a totally different animal when roasted... carmelized, sweet or salty... they are a delicious way to eat them....
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Veggies are really important. Unfortunately, the majority of us don't eat anywhere near what we should.

Here's a link from the government that shows some of the reasons why eating veggies are important:

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables-why.html

I copies some reasons why veggies are important...

Health Benefits
    *Reduce risk for heart disease, including heart attack and stroke.
    *Protect against certain types of cancers.
    *Diets rich in foods containing fiber, reduce the risk of heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.
    * Rich in potassium as part of an overall healthy diet may lower blood pressure, and may also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and help to decrease bone loss
    *Lower in calories per cup instead of some other higher-calorie food may be useful in helping to lower calorie intake.
    *Folic Acid
    *nutrients, including potassium, dietary fiber, folate (folic acid), vitamin A, and vitamin C
    *Vitamin A/C - absorption of iron and protection from infections

Trust me - you'll want to get yourself into the habit of trying to eat some during the week. Luckily, there are tons of veggies so it's a matter or trial and error.