Bump
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    And for those of us who are hypoglycemic and need a certain amount per day?
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    "Dairy is your enemy: Cow's milk is to nourish calves and gives them a 300 per cent weight gain in a year."

Vegans love this argument, and it's so ridiculous: unless you plan on drinking at least 8 liters of milk per day (what a newborn calf typically drinks), I think you're going to be okay (I say that as someone who doesn't even drink milk--I'm lactose intolerant and I just don't like it).

Regarding carbs, I haven't investigated enough to know if the science is flawed re: weight loss (your body does feed on fat instead of glucose, but is it feeding on dietary fat or body fat?). I try to stay low carb because a ketogenic diet benefits people with epilepsy and migraines, and I am experimenting with that (it's working). I'm going to be tested for food allergies too, though, and ditch low-carb if that's the culprit. I love bread.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    And for those of us who are hypoglycemic and need a certain amount per day?

People who are hypoglycemic are probably actually among the minority of people who could actually really benefit from a lower-carb (or low glycemic index) diet.
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I limit my carbohydrates. But I eat almost anything. Portion control and exercise is the key to my success. 70 lbs in 1 year. It was a lot of sweat!
  • CPowner
    CPowner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am losing 2 lbs a week just by staying under 120g carbs a day. Usually less than 100 really. I am glad I found your post because everyone is telling it is too many carbs and this weight loss wont last. How has it been for you? Have you been able to keep off the weight easily?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Cutting out carbs or dairy is obviously going to work but for how long?
    It only last for as long as you do it if you start back eating carbs your going to gain it back. To keep weight off you need to make your eating a lifestyle not a few month thing. Just watch your portions and cut back on certain food like fast food or processed you can eat this stuff once in awhile but once u get use to living without fast food you won't miss it. Cutting carbs mnay be a quick fix but its not a part of your lifestlye.

Just exercise and watch your portions and you will see a difference!

just like if you reduce cals then going back to eating too much will make you gain it back.

cut carbs to lose weight, slowly add them in to maintain. simple.

right now i eat 20 -30 grams a day. at goal weight i will eat 100 grams a day, but still lots of fats, veggies and proteins.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I just found a piece my Marisa Peer (hypnosis and weight loss guru). She believes that wheat and dairy are evil (has very strong views ie "Dairy is your enemy: Cow's milk is to nourish calves and gives them a 300 per cent weight gain in a year. Milk literally sends a message to cells that says GROW! Fully-grown human cells get a similar message. And cheese is a concentrated growth hormone".)

but also says this about carbs vs proteins:

"The key to making your body a fantastic fat-burning machine is to avoid starchy carbs... because they make you cling on to fat reserves. Our bodies were not designed to eat carbs and can do very well without them. Avoiding them for 10 "hard core" diet days is the key to weight loss.

You won't feel hungry, and the pounds will fall off - from your stomach first, as this is where fat from carbs is stored. This is why beer drinkers and those who over-indulge in bread, pastries and pasta have a big tummy.

In America they call it a carb body. Carbs also cause huge bloating - cut them out and you will beat the bloat. The hormone insulin plays a vital part. Its role is to store fat, so it's almost impossible to lose weight once you have eaten carbs because when you eat any starchy or sugary food, insulin levels go up.

For example: if you eat carbs five times a day - cereal for breakfast, biscuit mid-morning, sandwich for lunch, another biscuit mid-afternoon, then potatoes or pasta with dinner - your body will be constantly cranking out insulin, making it impossible to lose weight. People with weight problems have a problem with insulin and fat storage that their naturally skinny friends don't.
    It's not fair, but it's better to accept this fact and work with it.

Athletes load up on carbs precisely because the body stores them, whereas body-builders avoid them before competing so their body burns fat and their muscles are more defined.

Protein is a building food. The body uses it to build muscle and bones, so if you eat chicken and vegetables, the body will use it rather than store it. If you eat pasta or risotto your body will store that for later and continue to store it, as "later" never happens.
    The body works harder to digest protein too, using up more calories and increasing your metabolic rate.

Skinny people who can eat anything because they have a fantastic metabolism are a real minority. So you must avoid bread, pasta, noodles, rice, cake, pastry, biscuits and potatoes and anything with sugar in it.

You must also cut out dairy because lactose is milk sugar. Avoid salt too - it makes your body tissues store fluid, so cutting it out helps you on your way to a flat tum. After the 10 days, limiting carbs or not eating them after lunch is the secret to keeping the weight off. But no booze...it's full of sugar.

It may seem daunting but remind yourself that you have the rest of your life to eat - but right now you want to drop 10lbs.
    Stick to this plan and you won't feel hungry. There are no side-effects, no bad breath and no constipation."

She then gives a diet plan (eggs for breakfast, protein and salad for lunch, protein and veg for dinner).

Oh and she also says this - "Never eat late at night: Primitive man got up at dawn and retired as it got dark. Eating too late leaves our bodies full of undigested food. Our metabolism slows down dramatically at night even if we are awake because nature assumes we're sleeping. Our heart-rate slows down and digestion is more difficult."

Wondered what you all think of this way of thinking?

I would like to ask you if you have been following her recommendations and are you seeing results?
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs, eat cheese and drink milk I need the energy and calcium.

I just looked at your diet its low in calories but it also look pretty poor in areas pizza, maccies, granola bars, nacho and other processed crap in there every day.

So it could be high carbs and fat and the chemicals in the food and you have fried rice in there, how is fried rice only 160 cals?

You also dont log your exercise.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    At one point in time I was living with my sister on a very, very, VERY tight budget and all I ate was top ramen and bread. That was the skinniest I have ever been in my entire life LOL. Was I healthy? NOPE! But was I skinny? YUP. So yea, I don't buy it that carbs are the devil.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I went with the no wheat for 4 weeks option. I did not get rid of even 100 grams of weight in that time. What a load of crap the no milk no carbs option is. Not only does it cost a packet more, but has no benefit at all.

You can't avoid salt or sugar at all.... in it's natural form IN natural food you cant avoid it. Just not possible to do so...unless you dont eat at all... like ever. Then without salt watch the cramping come on.

After not eating wheat or wheat based products for 4 weeks it actually messed up my body when I could NOT avoid them. I would spend hours with stomach cramps & on the toilet. Not really a good thing, all from NOT eating it. My body had changed, but not for the better, and I was STARVING. Like all the time hungry. Only now am I getting back to normal, sleeping better & feeling better..... 4 weeks after eating wheat again. I've also lost more weight eating carbs once again.

Remember just because someone writes a book stating it's no good for you....does not mean it is true.
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    I just posted a question on the discussion board about this!!
  • eddieb1981
    eddieb1981 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    I went with the no wheat for 4 weeks option. I did not get rid of even 100 grams of weight in that time. What a load of crap the no milk no carbs option is. Not only does it cost a packet more, but has no benefit at all.

You can't avoid salt or sugar at all.... in it's natural form IN natural food you cant avoid it. Just not possible to do so...unless you dont eat at all... like ever. Then without salt watch the cramping come on.

After not eating wheat or wheat based products for 4 weeks it actually messed up my body when I could NOT avoid them. I would spend hours with stomach cramps & on the toilet. Not really a good thing, all from NOT eating it. My body had changed, but not for the better, and I was STARVING. Like all the time hungry. Only now am I getting back to normal, sleeping better & feeling better..... 4 weeks after eating wheat again. I've also lost more weight eating carbs once again.

Remember just because someone writes a book stating it's no good for you....does not mean it is true.

you need to remember that everyone is different. not everyone will benefit and its hard to find a balance.

i feel better than perfect on protein from meat, dairy, nuts, and vegetables. i can not tolerate unhealthy carbs (bread, potatoes, rice etc) at all.

you are lucky you are able to eat it.. for many of us, we aren't so lucky.
  • Kellyh01
    Kellyh01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Dairy is a good source of calcium. With some evidence emerging that calcium supplements may be linked to heart disease, I'd rather get it through food.

Actually, soy milk and almond milk have twice the amount of calcium as cow's milk, for about half the calories and half the sugar of cow's milk. Read the labels and compare. I very strongly agree with the opinion about cow's milk. Once a mammal is weaned from it's own mother's milk, there is no need for milk of any kind in their diet. Weaning is the natural progression from milk to the typical adult diet. Milk is species-specific - to me it is just wrong that we drink milk from an animal. It's only purpose is to nourish a calf until it is able to graze for itself. It has no place in the human diet at all.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I practice a low carb lifestyle & have been for over a year
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm a low carber so of course I agree with that part
    I do eat cheese
    And I do eat at night
  • johnsnana
    Options
    I was having some problems with feeling light headed and getting nauseated so I went to the Dr. After getting some bloodwork done they have determined that I am pre-diabetic. The past 2 weeks I have been being very cautious of the food I'm eating to try and keep from being 24 years old and diabetic. The Dr told me that my main focus should be to cut back on carbs as much as possible. Since doing this for about 2 weeks, I have lost 5 lbs and feel SO MUCH better! I LOVE carbs but after seeing the results I will definitely continue this.
  • Looser5555
    Options
    bump