Most embarrassing "fat" moment....

Options

Replies

• swatson14102
    Options
    Out of the blue, my mother told me in high school that I'd never get the type of guy I wanted at the weight I currently was (which was normal weight according to BMI but if I gained 10 lbs I would have been just overweight). That cut deep and 10 yrs later I'm still trying to work past that. Unfortunately I now have more like 60 lbs to lose to get back to normal weight.

But on any given day, it's any camera. I HATE pictures of myself.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    We had a mini family reunion/picnic one summer at my parents house, and I was packing up a to-go dessert plate for my BFF and her husband to bring home with them. With a horrified expression on her face, my dear old grandmother looked at the plate of cookies and brownies, looked at me, and exclaimed "DON'T EAT THAT! YOU'RE FAT!" in front of eeeeveryone. I was so embarrased!!!
  • J4jac
    J4jac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    On an airplane home from a business trip years ago, I ended up in the front row seat ( not 1st class) with the un-moveable arms, which made it a more narrow seat. I did not fit, but shoved myself in at a weird angle and suffered in pain all the way home. I had black and blue marks from that. After that I was afraid to fly.

Since then, I have discovered I can go online and research the seats and make sure I get one I can actually sit in. The seats that don't have un-moveable arms are a bit more forgiving. But the real solution is for me to slim down. I also don't like to touch other passengers and try to keep in my spot only.

Just last month I had to fly back home to help a sick family member. The passenger next to me had a baby in her lap, so the airline attendant offered for me to move up a seat/row. I knew the seat in front of me had the un-moveable arms. I declined and they didn't understand why, so I had to say that I wouldn't fit. That was so embarrassing but it would have been worse if I moved up a row and couldn't fit in the seat.. yikes!
  • J4jac
    J4jac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot about another time. I had three young kids at the time and was overweight even then. My family and extended family met at the Zoo to have a birthday outing for one of my kids. I was horrified when I heard my grandmother and her boyfriend making fun of a "fat lady" that was walking by. They were just mean. I was devastated to hear their behavior and took it personally to heart.

Even this year . when I came to town and was visiting my 86 yr old Grandmother we went to a buffet restaurant for dinner. Even at this age she still made comments about others that were overweight. She said things in public. I finally used a bit of humor to confront her and ask her why she acted like that. I also pointed out that not everyone can help their weight and she was being offensive and mean. I just don't understand how people can be so ugly.
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    Several as my highest weight was 330. I took my kids to McDonalds once to get them chicken nuggets and apples and let them play, A lady come up to me and told me "honey you have got to stop eating, or you will die" My daughter was 8 at the time and she cried because the lady said mommy was going to die. I wasn't even eating anything.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was taking a walk around my neighborhood, and a guy driving past yelled out the window "Go on a f***ing diet fatso" at me

I think the OP was talking about your most embarrassing moment, not some *kitten*' in a car.

This would be embarrassing and very hurtful esp because they are yelling it out a window. Maybe, learn to read?
  • samilgardner
    Options
    Well there have been many eye opening moments. I have not fit on rides at amusement parks before, I have been mistakenly asked if I was preggo, I have broke a chair before (that is actually a really funny story that I tell often.) I was at a friends house and it was one of those low plastic chairs that was pretty old, it held up til I went to get up and pushed on the arms, at that point it gave out. When I was walking away my four year old whispered to me in such a cute innocent way and said "I know why the chair broke Mommy, it is because your butt is soooooo big" her eyes were so wide and she used her hands and everything. I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants ( now that prolly would have embarrassed me). I still tell that story because I just loved the innocent look on her face. Truly those don't embarass me. What did embarass me was walking with a group of people to a meeting with my husbands work and walking up a flight of stairs (that wasn't huge) and being extremely winded and I started sweating. I was mortified!!
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    An ex boyfriend and I were nude afterwards and he grabbed the fat on my stomach with both hands and said "it'll be even more fun if you lose this." He wasn't exactly thin either but it was humiliating and I never felt comfortable around him again.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    When I was 17 weeks pregnant and announcing to my in-laws that I was excited to finally be starting to show a little (more than the first tri bloat) when my husband's grandpa cackled and said, "well, it'll be a lot longer before people can tell you're pregnant b/c bigger women take longer to show". He thought he was giving me a compliment since back in the 50's it was uncouth for a woman to show off that she was "with child". His apology was almost more demeaning.
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    For my 31 birthday my husband and I went to Atlantic City for the weekend. He booked me into their spa for the works the afternoon we got there. I went down and they give you a robe and slippers, no clothes/shoes inside the spa. I couldn't fit in the robe. I tried to leave and the attendant kept trying bigger sizes. Her last comment was "This is the men's x large, we KNOW that will fit!"

It didn't and at that point I walked out. There were other women milling around the locker room all staring. The woman trying to FIT the robe on me kept announcing each new size including the biggest.

It. Was. Awful. We went home that night. The most expensive NON vacation ever.
  • JodieChampoux
    JodieChampoux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I too have had many embarrassing moments (from being "mooed" at while I walked across the quad in college to several times being congratulated for a non-existent pregnancy)...but the one I remember best was a sweet little old lady asking me "Why is it all the heavy girls have such good skin?" in a restaurant bath room. I just said I didn't know why. It was one of many low points.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    In February of 2012, my husband and I took the grandsons to go-cart track. I kept having to try different jump suits on and finally fit into XXXL. Then I couldn't sit in the cart because the jumpsuit was so tight. The racetrack attendent had to try and help me out when I got stuck. It was absolutely mortifying. My husband tried to reassure me it was because borth my knees were still swollen from recent surgery, but I knew it was more. March 9, 2012 I start losing weight for me and have lost over 60 lbs.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    saving this thread for later, work calls!
  • jennalor
    jennalor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have also been asked several times if I am pregnant. The worst one though was on my wedding day, when the hair dresser asked when I was due. I went from feeling on top of the world to wanting to hide under a rock.

At the time it didn't inspire me to make any changes, but now, every time I feel like giving in, I try to remember that feeling, its usually enough to get me on track again.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    My worst moment was about a year ago, when I worked with developmentally disabled and mentally ill adults. They have the mentality, and consequently the honesty, of children. We ran groups teaching them about different kids of mental illness, and one group was on eating disorders. So it's me and about 25 clients talking about anorexia. One client asks a question, and I tell him honestly that I'm not sure. He says, " well, yeah, I guess you wouldn't know about anorexia, since you're, you know, fat." that was the first time anyone called me that, and it was both humiliating and eye opening.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was taking a walk around my neighborhood, and a guy driving past yelled out the window "Go on a f***ing diet fatso" at me

I think the OP was talking about your most embarrassing moment, not some *kitten*' in a car.

I had that happen and YES it is embarrassing....No matter where its coming from.

This is SO embarrassing! Had something similar happen a few weeks ago. It was one of the first days I was doing C25K so I already felt pretty bad about myself. Some jerk drove by and yelled, "You suck, b*itch!" I haven't walked outside since then. I stick to the treadmill indoors. :grumble:

Even though there are very few people in my neighborhood who have any room to talk when it comes to weight, I still run with my music turned up too loud to hear anything. It is also a good way to avoid small talk with neighbors who can't see that I'm in survival mode :) Unfortunately, It's also a good way to get caught off guard by crazy, loose dogs. Don't let some turd derail your efforts. Some people are miserable and they can only find joy in making others feel that way as well.

Exactly, I always want to encourage people running but can never figure out how...lol..I am always SO impressed by others running...of any shape or size...having been there myself!
  • foreverhopesndreams
    Options
    I was sitting at a night club with some friends and we all ordered shooter shots that came with glow sticks to put around our wrists. Mine was extremely tight but we forced it. Well, it flipped off my wrist and flew across the bar and hit a guy in the head. THAT was when I realized I had to lose weight. Lost 17 lbs so far over the past 3 yrs and now they fit!
  • Keepingmygoal
    Options
    I was getting intimate with a guy I was seeing.... he went to reach under my shirt, and instead of grabbing what he was going for, he actually grabbed a roll right under my bust. It took him a good few seconds to realize his hand wasn't in the right place. One of the most horrifying moments of my life.... as if I weren't self conscious enough during those intimate times, that definitely did not help....I stopped seeing him soon after that, lol
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    This runs in the family(apparently)..
    My grandmother (at my sister's wedding - in my maid of honor dress) told me that I gained a lot of weight and I look bigger than I used to, and I should stop eating the way I do.

Then, my father(who agreed with her) now daily decides to poke my stomach. When I was on vacation this past week he said:
    "lift your hands up to the sides! Close your eyes!" then grabbed my stomach flab and screamed "SMORES!" It hurt, not a lot because I know I am big and I usually never let it get to me, but I'm tired of my own FAMILY putting me down like that.

I had terrible parents. They physically abused me and eventually I was removed from that home. I don't think that this type of abuse is any different. I have nightmares about my parents, just as you probably do about yours.

Man, I wish people realized how much words can hurt. Just as much as any physical violence :(

/HUG