How old were you

Options

Replies

• tiffanyvc
    Options
    I was 22 and had just graduated from college. My parents insisted I get one because I was relocating across the country. I'm 28 now and can't believe I went so long without a phone.
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    about 28, am 41 now
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was 32. I am 43 now. I resisted heavily. I am an iphone addict now, but I very much wish I didn't have to carry a phone for work. I miss the good old days when I left work and no one could reach me unless I wanted them to. :)

My son got his first cellphone at 11 - he was getting off the bus alone and walking home and there an hour before I could get home. I wanted him to call me when he stepped off the bus and talk to me until he was inside the house. Same with my daughter - she got one when she hit sixth grade and was no longer going to after school care and had to spend time home alone.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I got one when I was 25. I am 36.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I got my first cell phone at 12.

This was when cell phones were still kind of new. I had midi ringtones, for example, and they didn't have the cellphone covers. It was a gold nokia phone.

BUT my circumstances were unique. My mom gave it to me in case she was at work and my dad got too violent and I needed to call 911. He never knew about the phone. He would have killed us if he found out.

ETA: I'm 23
  • emzmc
    emzmc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was 11 when I first got a phone. I'm 22 now. Seems like I got mine really young from the previous posts :s
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I was 21 and had just graduated from college and was moving across the country so I got one for the drive. I'm 34 now.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    34 i think, was a hold out until the smart phones came out
  • yankeegrl67
    Options
    I was 25. It was in a bag. It was huge! I'm 45 now and I love my iPhone :smile:
  • Captain_RG
    Captain_RG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My parents got me one at 16 when I got a job and a car. I'm 25
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think I was 7 or 8. It was a nokia black and white screen brick. I played snake on it.

Yes, that's young, but my parents travelled a lot, it kept me quiet playing Snake in the car, and it was already like 3rd hand. My dad worked recycling mobile phones, and it was a spare.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I was 16. It was under my dad's name, but I payed the bill. I had a job (was my third job already) and by this time I already had a car payment. My dad insisted on teaching idea of 'nothing comes free,' and 'working for what you get.'

I'm 27 now.
  • MichelleB1427
    Options
    I think I was 18. I had a job so my parents wanted me to have one just in case of emergencies. I am now 25. =) My niece has a cell phone... She is freakin' 11.... Why?!
  • Monalisa85
    Monalisa85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was 45. I'm now 57. I grew up with no home phone either. Yeah, back in the day........:wink:
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    18, going away to college. I'm 26 now. It was an ugly red nokia phone that overheated in 20 min lol
  • pinn44
    pinn44 Posts: 68
    Options
    I was around 24 or so and I'm 44 now.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    My kids get one when they're 17. I got one for my 16 yr old and she only uses it when she's at school functions.

I got my first one 8? years ago when I was 32. The next day my car broke down no where near a payphone, haha.
    I hated it otherwise.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was 18, my parents got it for me when I went to college so they could... idk, monitor me or something (?)... and now I'm 27.
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    When I was about 10 somebody gave me their old phone to play Snake on, and I promptly lost it.
    I think I was about 12/13 when I got my first "real" phone as a birthday present. It had a colour screen :happy: only one out of all my friends, I was thrilled.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I think 17 or 18. I'm 28 now, and I've forgotten when my first Nokia happened.