Avocados

Options
Avocados are up there as one of my favorite foods. How do you eat your avocado?

I like half of an avocado (~2.5-3 oz.) sprinkled with salt with the middle filled with hummus.

Replies

• heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I usually make guacamole with avocados, and then use that in tacos, in salads, in jacket potatoes, as dressing, on bread...
    I just mash them, add some chopped garlic, onions and chili, salt and pepper, squeeze a lime or lemon over and done :)

Avocados are great!! Sure, they're quite high on fat, but the good kind. Very, very healthy and tastes good :D
  • Alishamarie48879
    Alishamarie48879 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I will mash or dice it up, and put it on everything! Eggs, wraps, salads. Yum. I usually only eat 1/4-1/2 an avocado when I do.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For those that eat a part of an avocado, what do you do with the remainder so it doesn't brown?
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love avocados, too! I spread them on whole wheat toast and top with tomato slices, sea salt and pepper.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    With salt or hot sauce!! MMMMMMM or in salads! Love me some avacados! I make a mean avacado dressing, too!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat one almost every single day. Half an avocado for lunch and half for dinner. I throw it on some black beans + tomato + cilantro + serrano pepper on a corn tortilla.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Put it in a plastic bag with the pit in it. Works!
    For those that eat a part of an avocado, what do you do with the remainder so it doesn't brown?
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Leave the pit in and wrap it in plastic wrap (tight) and stick it in the fridge, it will stay good until the next day.
  • AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    LOVE avocados! Tonight I'm making spaghetti squash with avocado 'sauce' (pureed avocado, olive oil, basil and a squeeze of lime, salt and pepper) and turkey meatballs.
  • AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

squeeze lemon or lime juice on the half (make sure you coat it really well, put in a baggie and in the fridge...eat the next day! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options

I live alone, and I've perfected this. I use 1/2 at a time. Leave the pit in the remaining half, put it in a plastic bag or container, and leave a little hole for the gases to escape, refrigerate. It keeps for about four days this way. I also leave the whole avocado in the refrigerator until I want it to ripen for use (about a day). I usually buy four at a time, and I rarely lose one.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like making a chicken wrap with mashed up avocado spread on it with some salt and pepper, it's so good! :smile:
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    - GUACAMOLE
    - sliced avocado on toast
    - half an avocado sprinkled w/ sunflower seeds, salt, and pepper
    - chopped up as a topping on salad
  • Croit2
    Croit2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Love avocados! Use them on chicken sandwiches or wraps instead of mayonnaise.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i love making guacamole... or even just dicing it up and eating it with a little salt and pepper. Delish!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Always store with pit, not sure why
    1) Squeeze lemon juice on and bag
    2) A light glaze of olive oil and bag
    3) Bag it with slice or section of onion

I've used all of these--they all seem to work.

I use avocado for smoothies, sliced in salads (tossed, Cobb, etc.), on antipasto plate, guac, chocomole (avocado chocolate pudding), salsa and soup.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    i eat avocados almost ever day! starting w breakfast in my egg and potato tacos, eat it w almost any taco in general, w burgers, alone w tortilla chips, I think im addicted :)
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options

squeeze lemon or lime juice on the half (make sure you coat it really well, put in a baggie and in the fridge...eat the next day! :)

This is what I have found works best.
    I love avocado on crispbread or toast mixed with vegemite and sometimes topped with fresh tomato and cracked pepper. Love it on a salad roll or any salad really. I'd like to be more adventurous too, but that's really all I do with them at the moment.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love guacamole and sometimes add a little avocado to smoothies. I'll eat avocados just about anyway, but my favorite salad right now is this:
    1 diced avocado, 1 diced beefsteak tomato, juice of a lime, salt and pepper and about a tablespoon or so of cilantro. Perfect with grilled chicken!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I love this sandwich for breakfast.

Whole wheat bagel thin or breakfast thin toasted
    slice of tomato
    1 fried egg
    1 strip of bacon cut in half
    half avocado
    tiny bit of mayo.

Great way to start the day.