WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2012

Options

Replies

• walker54
    walker54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    Took yesterday off -- feeling so tired after overdoing it Saturday. Back at it this morning with time at the gym.

Have been feeling discouraged because I've been either stuck or keep losing and regaining the same pound no matter what I do. I forgot to take my measurements at my last weigh-in on Friday because I was so frustrated that my weight hadn't budged. I remembered to do them last night and I've lost inches! Yea! Of course they are from the really important places like my bust, neck and wrists, but it's a start. I was able to do my mat work at the gym today with determination. Still not very determined on the treadmill, but my trainer will push me tomorrow. Had a good swim today, too.

Welcome to all the newcomers. Hope you'll keep coming back every day and joining in when the spirit moves you. Keep logging every bite and drink more water.

Polly
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in the diabetics forum, and then I saw Walker54's post here and thought maybe I would post this here also. I'm also feeling very discouraged at the moment.

I haven't been active on MFP lately, because I've been a complete sloth about my program. I think I've hit a point of diet-and-logging fatigue. I've been reasonably good with my diet even though I haven't been tracking, but I haven't been good enough to lose weight.

Yesterday was a good example of how almost good enough isn't good enough when it comes to dieting. Okay, I'm prediabetic. Many times I've said said to other diabetics that we have to accept that we can never, ever again eat white bread, potatoes, and sweets like other people can. It's been almost one year since I was diagnosed, and for most of that year, I was able to avoid things I shouldn't eat.

I was really good with my meals all day yesterday, until the very end of the day. For dinner, my husband and I decided to go over to our yacht club instead of cooking at home. We got there and discovered it was pasta night! Okay I still was good. When the club has pasta night, they put out chopped meat and fish and chopped veggies on a buffet table. You create your own topping for the pasta by selecting the ingredients you want, and the cooks stir fry your selection and then put the mixture on top of pasta and add sauce. I selected a plate of chicken and veggies and told the cook I just wanted the stir fry without sauce or pasta. There was also a salad bar, and I made healthy selections there. I even passed on a glass of wine and told my husband I didn't want to add the extra calories.

All was well until we finished eating, and my hubby asked the waiter for a second glass of wine, and he said to me, "Have a glass of chardonnay. One little glass won't hurt." So I did. That would have probably been okay, but the waiters had left a basket of toasted, butter, garlic bread on the table. Dang. When I deviated from my plan and took the glass of wine, it was like opening the door a crack. My food cravings got a foot in that crack and kind of knocked the door open. I decided it wouldn't hurt to have one little slice of garlic bread with the wine. And then a second. And then a third!

Okay, lesson one is keep the dang bread basket OFF the table when I eat out.

A long time ago, I remember reading about double ambivalent conflicts. This is where you have two choices and there are positive and negative points to each. I think I'm facing a double ambivalent conflict every time I try to eat; the food I want is bad for me, and the food that's good for me isn't really what I want. When a person is in a double ambivalent conflict, the attraction of the choice you have rejected becomes stronger as you reject it, and the attraction of the choice have selected becomes weaker as you embrace it. When I've decided against several menu items that I'd really love to eat, that the attraction of those rejected yummy foods becomes the strongest.

I think this is why I tend to sabotage my diet at or near the end of a meal. I need some sort of ritual I can use when I finish eating the planned food to keep me from eating more! I suspect I should get up and leave the table, but I don't want to get up and leave my hubby at the table every meal. The social aspects of mealtime are important too.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do when you've finished eating what you should, but you need to linger a while with your dining companions who are still happily eating? That's the most dangerous time of a meal for me, especially in a restaurant where waiters keep coming around and asking if you'd like something else.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hurray I've caught up with all the posts! It has only takn me nearly 3 hrs :noway: :noway: :noway: :bigsmile:

:yawn: :yawn: Trouble is it's taken me so long that it's time for bed.

Before I go though just wanted to say Dixie I am keeping you and your family in my prayers.:heart:

Goodnight all chat again in the morning before work if I have the time.

Viv x

PS Welcome to all the newcomes
  • brendajs
    brendajs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I am soooo glad I ran across this thread...and I hope you don't mind if I join in! I have been on this yo-yo weight loss way of life for maaaaaaany years! I lost over 60 pounds eight years ago with WW, but it all came back---and brought friends!! I know I can do this, but it's abit more difficult since I'm over 50...soon to be 53, actually...sigh... :sad:

I have been reading so many motivational weight loss/healty eating FB pages over the weekend that really have set me up for success!! And then I came here today and found this thread as well!! I love reading about your successes and tips and will share mine (I hope to have some!!) as well! :flowerforyou:

I am a Minnesota Mom of 3 (daughter and her hubby 30 and son 25) and grandmother to the most adorable boys EVER!! Blake is 7 and Bryce is 4. I have been divorced for....22 years?? Had to figure that one out. I'm very active with my community, which keeps me busy. I also have a 3 yr old dog (who thinks he's human!!). I enjoy taking Tucker for walks at the park along the Mississippi River. He's still in the puppy stages so sometimes when we return, I have one arm longer than the other!! :happy:

Here are my August goals:
    1) To eat within my calorie goals--and track everything!!!
    2) Drink at least 60 oz (3-20 oz bottles) of water each day
    3) Add more fruits and veggies into my meals
    4) Do my Leslie Sansone WAP 5 Really Big Miles DVD (1 mile for now) at least once a day/morning and walk 25 miles with Leslie in August! (Down 3 miles so far...just started that on 8/4)

I look forward to "meeting" you all and sharing this journey to becoming healthy with you! I think if we make it a fun time, we will enjoy it much more and all the pounds lost will be a BONUS!! :flowerforyou:

Time for me to head home from work...gonna do another WAP mile this evening...I read this weekend that "Sweat is your fat crying"...I wanna make my fat SOB!!!!

Soooo glad to be here!!

TTYL!
    Brenda
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. This will be short...boy am I EXHAUSTED!!!!! I have forgotten what working as a nurse is like! Holy cow I ran all day. So I'm taking a shower, eating dinner, and heading to bed. Just wanted you all to know you are not forgotten! One quick reply:

DeeDee: Benny Beagle takes ursodiol ("gall bladder speeder-upper"), fish oil (his cholesterol was 500!!!), prilosec, and denosyn (liver protector). Hopefully Friday the vet will take him off some of these.

OK ladies, more tomorrow after another day in the ICU! Take care , MEg
  • RaysfanATL
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have been bad, didn't log in for over a week, I was on the west coast visiting my brother in San Francisco and working with the Mets and TB Rays...took in some of their games, and toured Carmel and Monterey....but the best news is, somehow lost 2 more pounds while I was out there! :smile:

back in Atlanta now, for a few weeks I hope.

Hope all is well!! I am still wondering if I am starting menopause, I have only been without that monthly thing for 2 months, but I seem to be over emotional these days, and well.....a bit more cranky?? I am 51...any advise out there??

Bye for now!!!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    HI everyone, came across your thread and wanted to join in. I'm finally in a position to really begin exercising health wise as I've been battling Graves disease for 26 months. Finally got the go ahead from my Doctors!! I'm a teacher and school starts for me Aug 20th and the kids start back Aug 27th.

Goals for August:
    Make it to the gym at least 3 times a week.
    Make meals ahead and take healthy meals to school for lunch.
    Set up a place to use my free weights at home and use them!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Glad there is a place for over 50 - I'm over 60 (65 to be honest) and very active. Right now I have a lot of stress in my life because my 92 year old mother is developing extreme short term memory loss and is not taking care of herself. My brother and I are trying to figure out the best way to treat her so that she can maintain her dignity even though she is deteriorating. She is healthy and not dying, but she forgets who we are and where she lives and it's very stressful to live with this.

Additionally, my boyfriend went to the emergency room today because he has blood in his urine and I haven't been able to get in touch with him to see how he did.

It's hard to concentrate on weight loss while all of this stuff is going on and I also tend to under eat when I am anxious, which isn't good for me.

Just had to get this out.
  • RaysfanATL
    Options
    Jacqueling, i hope all is ok, hang in there. It is very hard to lose weight when you are stressed, in fact it is very hard to concentrate on anything when stressed, but that is why this group is here, to support those that need it, even if it is just getting something off your chest...

Keep us updated please!
  • mommie55
    mommie55 Posts: 23
    Options
    Brand new ...first day on....they tell me I am not eating enough....so I guess I will up my intake and pray I do not gain!
  • jazzyjess1261
    jazzyjess1261 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello:

I'm new to the boards. After getting on the scale at my last doctor visit, I realized I needed to lose quite a bit of weight!!! I'm 50 years old with both parents having severe health issues and I don't want to end up with Diabetes or have a stroke as my father recently had.

I started walking 2 miles/day about 6 weeks ago and then 2 weeks ago, I joined Curves and I'm going 5x week. So far I've lost about 18 lbs, but I still have about 75 to go to get to my goal weight.

I read about this site in a magazine and thought it would be a great addition to my regime. I haven't been logging my food in. It is encouraging to see so many success stories!

I'm hoping to get in shape, get more energy and make more healthy food choices here.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies,

So happy for the weekend to be over. I wasn't at my best my family would agree with me. I was outright grumpy I really work hard at not being negative but I guess we all have our days. :tongue:
    @Lin awlful on the bathroom issues. I hope there is no other damage.
    @Ruthanne I try to track everything so I will become super aware of what I put in my mouth.
    @Meg hope you gets lots of rests.
    @Barbara--thank you for the invite.
    @ami so amazing how you are helping your rented daughter. It is hard to imagine how anyone can turn their backs on their child.

I was experiencing a lot of swelling and have been getting headaches etc went to the doctor was put back on the bp meds which will help. But makes me feel old.
    Experience a heat wave here and very poor air quality. Grateful for our a/c and fans. :smile:

Well hello everyone, I hope you all have a good day and take care of yourself.
    Liz
  • mstal1
    mstal1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello everyone..........

I have been a member for some time, but I am new to the posts! Needing all the help/ support I can get. I am a 50+ woman at 5'1" and 160lbs. Recently had some thyroid problems that added on the weight- in addition to menopause! Jeez- can I catch a break?:smokin:

My downfall is probably pasta and cheese........never eat sugary sweets, cookies, etc.

My favorite exercise is racquetball and recently began playing again after finding 2 partners. We play for 1 1/2 hours usually. Last week I played 4 times, so if i can continue the momentum, I think I can see results!

Here are my personal goals for August:
    -make healthy food selections
    -drink less wine
    -cardio 3X per week/ strength 2X per week
    -more veggies, less red meat
    -post my food/ excerise every day!

Maybe (fingers crossed) I will love my scale more by the end of the month! Thanks for listening!
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Good day here. The 3 kids being home all day kind of gives me a break from the school routine and spend time with everyone together or individually.

Ate well today and took a walk. With my father gone as of last year and my mom very close behind him, my walk just made me realize that it isn't JUST about losing weight, but staying healthy and stay around for my family and friends. Each day I walk, my heart, brain and overall health is better!

JazzyJess: Wow! How dedicated you are at getting healthy! Keep it up and glad you found this website!

Yoyonomore: It is great that you are 10 pounds away! How hard you have worked!!! Keep logging and keep posting and you will get there in no time!

Amiscci: You are wonderful to open your heart and home! I try every day to be supportive of my kids (even "those bad days")-She will be a better person because of you and your family! Also, wonderful accomplishment on the weight loss!!!
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Lin - check your homeowners insurance...there may be some coverage there if you have damage to the furnace

I forgot who said the galloping gourmet....but Graham Kerr has a couple of cookbooks he calls mini-max and he takes traditional recipes and makes them healthier and more importantly he includes tips that teach you how to do it to your own favorites...I think there are at least two of these cookbooks..I learnedly a lot from them.

I was back on the recumbent bike this am...10 miles of small, rolling hills in 36 minutes...felt good. Tomorrow will do kettlebells and back to tennis after work...might need a rest day on Wednesday!!:laugh:

Have a good evening ladies..hugs and high fives as we drink (water),log (food) and move (ourselves off the couch)
    :heart:
    Jen
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have just found this thread and would like to jump aboard! I turned 60 last month.

I have been with MFP since January 2011 and had lost 34 lbs over the year, slow and steady as she goes! lol However in January of this year my husband was in hospital for 2 weeks with a lifethreatening case of pneumonia and my healthy eating and exercise ent by the wayside. He lost 25 lbs in 2 weeks (NOT the way to do it for sure!), my weight gain was just beginning! After he came home I ended up with sciatica for 3 weeks so, no exercise. Well all that really was a glitch in my weight loss, but... that was 6 months ago!! I am happy to report that he is fine now, but in the ensuing months I have managed to gain back most of the weight I'd lost :grumble: I have had a couple of false starts over the last several weeks but I really do believe this time I will get back on the bandwagon and stay there! And while MFP brings people of all ages together with our common goal to be healthy, I look forward to sharing my struggles and successes as well as encouraging others who are my peers.

I haven't entered my net loss in a while, so my ticker is not correct, I will be weighing in tomorrow morning and the number will unfortunately be less than the 12 lbs that it currently says <sigh>
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone who is new. What a fantastic place to come to, where people understand what you are going thru, been there done that. Not a 20 or 30 year old who doesn't have a clue and who can lose weight like nothing at all.

amiscci - congrats! How wonderful of you to take that girl in. Does she resent her mother at all for throwing her out?

Barb - give the hair dryer for bug bites a try. What do you have to lose? You do need to keep the dryer on the spot until you almost can't stand it any longer. But it has helped me for maybe 4 or 5 hours. Even Vince does it! As far as your son, sometimes "tough love" is hard but worth it in the end.

I have to measure my food, otherwise I find that little by little a cup grows and grows, I lose sight of how big something is. The one thing that sort-of bothers me is when I look at the database here, sometimes it'll say something like "one tomato", well, how big is that. I probably should get a scale, but for some reason I haven't.

Esther - you want to try making the cake pops healthy? For one thing, try substituting liquid eggs for the eggs in the recipe. If a chocolate cake or brownies calls for oil, I substitute prune puree for it (you can usually get it in baby food jars), if it's a yellow cake then I use plain low fat yogurt in place of the oil. If I'm making a spice cake, I've substituted pumpkin puree for the oil and eggs. I tried this with brownies, they were very moist, but you could tell a hint of pumpkin flavor. Same for applesauce, I could tell there was just a hint of apple flavor

JipsyJudy - When everyone else is having dessert, I will have my dessert -- a cup of tea. I try to guage (not always successful) how fast others are eating and then if I need to slow down, I try cutting up my food into smaller pieces.

Did 20 minutes of yoga today. I think I found a yoga DVD that I don't own but that I will buy. It's Rodney Yee's AM&PM yoga. I only did the AM part, but many times I don't have a whole hour to do yoga. Haven't tried the PM part. Then I did 45 minutes of extremepump. It is normally an hour class, but the gal started late today. She needs to leave on time for a conference call. I do wish that she'd start on time. I like that class and would like to get as much out of it as possible. I think it has something to do with being in the South. They don't rush at all. When I lived in PA, we had to start the class on time. But here in the South they just take things easy come easy go. Off right now to go play mahjongg. Tomorrow I'll do a step DVD that I got from the library. Don't know how it'll be.

Everyone new is so interesting, I love it! "Sweat is Fat crying"...beautiful!

Went to mahjongg tonight. I maj'd three times. This gal is going to have it at her house tomorrow afternoon, but if I go will depend on whether the guys will be working on the pool or not.

Better get to bed. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Today was another weird day. Jake met me at the grocery store this morning and then came over at lunch time and we went to Costco, but he feels very concerned about the dogs he's caring for so he spent the rest of the day with them. They are finally all eating and coming back into the house when he calls them. They were clearly neglected by the previous house sitters.

:flowerforyou: I've walked Brandy and Sasha a lot and spent a lot of time with my rock and gardening projects. I finally cleared a spot to plant the daisies and purple cone flowers that I started in pots.

:flowerforyou: I've enjoyed preparing meals only for myself but it's lonely here.:sad: :sad:

:flowerforyou: JipsyJudy, the first strategy I used when I started my weight loss journey was to plan and log my meals ahead of time for the day and not deviate from the plan, no matter what.......I turned down anything that was offered to me if I hadn't logged it already whether it was a carrot or a hot fudge sundae. The next strategy was to decide that I would not use food and eating as recreation. I decided to stay away from restaurants and eating at other people's houses unless it was absolutely essential. Sitting around the table at a restaurant is a mine field for someone who is trying to make big changes in their eating.

:flowerforyou: Brenda, welcome......dog walking is one of the main parts of my exercise program.....I have two standard poodles ages 5 and 7 who love to walk and never turn down the opportunity.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

August Resolutions:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning
    *100 Warrior III poses or squats a day
    *17,000 steps a day
    * finish the rock project in the yard
    *Act the way I want to feel
    *Come from a place of love
    *Don’t take things personally
    3076981b97xsiescq.gif
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Back to reality, the family reunion is over, we have packed up our tent and returned home. The ladies outdid themselves this year in pot luck specialites, omg! There was enough for two nights of pot luck so the first night I took a tablespoon of every 3rd dish and last night, of the remaining dishes, I took a tablespoon of everything I had missed the night before. I feel quite proud, I had plenty to eat but I didn't stuff myself. It is a good thing these events happen only every two years.

There was lots of sitting and talking but then there was always long walks, cleaning the hall and scrubbing the tables after meals and the occasional dance when the family band was performing. I didn't get involved in the new sport of putting t-shirts on greased pigs, we left that for the youngsters. Even my city-boy gave it a try. It was so hot I am hoping I may have melted a wee bit.

Anxious to get back on track and a little nervous about the scales, I may put them off a day or two. I am facing my mammogram, bone density and lab tests this week and have been called for extra shifts at work when I really just wanted to tame the jungle I call a garden. I will have to learn to plan meals better so I don't fall of the rails.

Kate
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just noticed this thread tonight (I've only been a member since the end of June). I'm a 57-year-old wife and mom with a recent empty nest, and also am feeling my age for the first time in my life. I recently committed to losing the weight gained since being diagnosed with Hashimotos thyroiditis about 3 years ago.

Goals for August include getting back into the skating habit (my favorite form of exercise) to tone while I lose weight. I have an appt. with the thyroid doc mid-August, and I want to wow him with my weight loss. (Every visit has so far seen a gradual gain.)

Nice to see a thread for us youngsters. ;D