How old were you

Options

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    When I was 16, I was allowed to take my mother's cell phone if I was driving somewhere. I got my own when I was 18 and living out of state for college. I got a Blackberry when I was 20. I switched to Android at 23. I am close to 25.
  • carrie3479
    carrie3479 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was 18 and brought it with my first wages, it cost £129, and was a dreadful sagem thing. I had the choice of analogue or digital!!! about 6 weeks later analogue went out the window and my phone was sown to £20 ( I am now 33 )

Kids got phones when they reached high school (11 years old) but the son doesn't like them (now 13) and daughter who is 16 tomorrow is glued to hers!!!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I wanna say 14? But it was just a pay as you go phone because I was going on a trip to Washington DC and My mom wanted me to stay in touch.
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Freshman year of high school. So 15 or 16. That's a good age imo

i'm 21 now.
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    I was 13, got my first job at 14 and have been paying my own bill ever since (and have bought two new ones since the first one died). I'm 18 now.
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was over40 when i had my first one ,i am now soon to be 57 and love my phone :smile:
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    18 and it was huge lol 32 now
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i was 17 and bought it myself...kids these age are way too young to be having cellphones...just gets them in trouble!!
  • lstone03
    lstone03 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think I was 19 or 20. All I remember about it was that it was before texting or camera phones and the big thing was playing that snake game. I'm now 30.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I got mine at 16. Camera phones had like just came out at that point & mine was 1. So I've always had a cam phone. Albeit, the came sucked on that one lol. I'm 24 now.
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Ooh, boy, it was in the nineties and my job required pagers *and* "mobile phones!" I can't recall the year; but the phones were the size of bricks and had to be stored in a hard plastic seat that would only fit under the passenger seat of my car. The phone was a Nokia and very basic: the number buttons, a call/dial button and an answer button if I recall correctly. The display was just the number you were dialing and, the bars! I actually never use my mobile/cell phone much until I got an iPhone. Now I panic if I don't have my iPhone within reach! :smile:

I'm 47 now which means I remember the days of phone booths, needing change, and collect calls! I don't even have a land line anymore :-)
  • ChihakuZeal
    Options
    I was 12 when I got my phone, but only for like 3 days until it broke...

I'm 18 now, and still phoneless...
  • crystal_darling
    crystal_darling Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was 15. And the only reason my parents got me one was because there was a threat at school and they were scared so they wanted to get a hold of me whenever. It was a basic phone, no camera or fanciness. I'm 23 now.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    19. It was a big Zach Morris type of phone too. :laugh:
  • stargazer008
    Options
    15 years old
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    We were fourteen, so either freshmen or sophomores in high school, with a dad working 14 hours a day three hours away one way, and a mom as a stewardess, AND going to different schools. I'm twenty-three, still have a crappy phone, and pay $25/month, as I mainly use it for texting sweepstakes.
  • WowingOverWhinging
    Options
    Pretty sure I was 14, maybe even younger... awkward.

Everybody in my year was pretty geared up to be the "cool" generation - think Mean Girls almost. So now I'm programmed to struggle without a phone. :grumble:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I was about 11 or 12.

I got one because my parents had divorced and gotten joint custody. They got me one in case one parent didn't show up to pick me up from school thinking it was the other's turn to pick me up, etc. My dad was always busy running his company so sometimes he'd be late or he'd have one of his guys come get me.

I'm 22 now.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I got one at 16, but since you had to pay per call, it was rarely used and I had to pay for the phone and bill with my own money from my part time job.

I'm 32 now and have only had a few different phones since then.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I was 20. I bought my own.

I'm 33.