Quickie weddings or long engagements?

Options

Replies

• JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I've been with my SO for a little over six years now. We're not engaged, but I'd imagine it will be a long engagement when we are. Doesn't bother me, I'm in no hurry. :smile: Getting our lives together first.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    A little from column A... A little from column B.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to the 6th wedding. That's going to be the Elvis chapel wedding.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    LONG engagements for sure.
    5 years is the soonest I would except a proposal and then atleast another year or two before the actual wedding.

I believe you should live like an married couple before actually getting married, get past the honeymoon phase.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Me and my hubby dated for 3 months, were engaged for 5 months, and just celebrated our year aniversary on July 16th. We also have a 4 1/2 month old daughter. Wouldn't have had it any other way!
  • BrandiL83
    BrandiL83 Posts: 100
    Options
    Got together October 2004. Found out we were pregnant with out first in August 2005. Engaged February 2006. Married March 2011.
  • sdoro
    sdoro Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people replied, but I am currently not engaged. Within the next few months, but not yet. :) My boyfriend and I have been dating for over 3 years, and been talking about getting married of fall of next year. We're both 20, and although we're young we both have full-time jobs and enjoy them. We don't believe in sex or living together before marriage, so that's why it's hard for us to wait any longer. 4 years together is long enough for me! I think everyone's different, but we are both christians and we know God matched us perfectly. :)
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    First date on Thanksgiving weekend, moved in together the following week, married the following June. Still married 34 years later.
    I agree with leakramirez - when you know, you know.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    My hubby was my friend for about 1 1/2 yrs when we got married. But he'd never actually proposed nor ever actually asked me out on a date. But we've been married 4 years and it's been the most incredible happiest time of my life.

Seriously, we were spending lots of time together one on one and going places but he never asked me out. And to get married we were joking about it and looking at rings 2 days later. He finally asked me to marry him when we'd already been married about 6 months as a joke.
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    We've been together for 6 1/2 years, engaged and living together for 6 years, have 3 kids and no wedding in sight. Honestly not sure if I still want to marry him.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people replied, but I am currently not engaged. Within the next few months, but not yet. :) My boyfriend and I have been dating for over 3 years, and been talking about getting married of fall of next year. We're both 20, and although we're young we both have full-time jobs and enjoy them. We don't believe in sex or living together before marriage, so that's why it's hard for us to wait any longer. 4 years together is long enough for me! I think everyone's different, but we are both christians and we know God matched us perfectly. :)

Congrats! That's awesome. I love hearing that people waited (I know that's not the norm these days but I wish I had waited).
    God will bless your marriage for this. I know it.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I met the hubs when I was 19, we got engaged when I was 21, and married at 23. We both wanted to wait until we were done with school before getting married, but in retrospect, graduation didn't really do a whole lot for me.

Anyway, we had a long engagement, and to be honest, the engagement was the worst part of our relationship. It's like we had to figure out some things before the wedding. We had so much fun in college, and then when we moved in together it was tense. After we got married and picked out a place together (rather than him moving into MY apartment) we get along much better now.

I think folks should take their time and really think things through before getting engaged. As far as the length of engagement goes... it shouldn't matter. Just be confident in the decision BEFORE you agree to get married.

Now that I think about it, this is why I hate surprise proposals... a lifetime decision shouldn't be a surprise. Well, to each their own, but for me, that was not the way it was going to go down.

The hubs had to drop a hint in April, and then by August, I finally agreed. No one "pops" the question and gets a yes out of me.
  • crys_m
    crys_m Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    will be together for 7yrs in September. Been basically married for the 7yrs
  • nevergiveup92
    Options
    Met when I was 15, engaged at 17, and this year married at 19 several months before I turned 20 :)
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I had been dating for about 2.5 years when we got engaged two months ago.
    We're getting married in Sept/Oct 2013.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I always thought I wanted to be engaged for about 2 years but when we finally got engaged last November after 8 years together I just wanted to get married and we are 2 months and 1 day away from our wedding. I can't wait to proudly call him my husband :heart:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I have been together for 9 years total. He proposed to me on our 6 year anniversary (so we've been engaged for 3 years now) and we are set to be married next April.

I knew he was the one when I first laid eyes on him, but we like to take it slow. We were both virgins and "gave ourselves away" to eachother after a couple YEARS of dating (did I mention we like to take it slow?). I never wanted to rush into anything... I always wanted to make sure if I'm going to marry that it will be the only time I get married.

I always wanted a somewhat long engagement but not this long. :laugh:
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Just a question I've been thinking on. I was married within 8 months of meeting my hubby, only engaged for four of those months and then he went overseas right after we got engaged! Engaged at 19, married at 20, first kid at 21. (Been happily married 13+ years now)

I really like the quote from When Harry Met Sally: "...when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." It just rang true for us!

What was your engagement length? Still engaged? How long had you been serious before the proposal? What's your story?

Met my husband Jan 19/20th,,,started dating on march 7th engaged july 16th married august 4th he left 2 days later to move to VA to his new duty station... I could not move for 3 months. Just celebrated our 7 year wedding anniversary and have 2 gorgeous kids one of them was born on our 1 year wed anniversary lol (hubby is in navy on subs)
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    We started dating in 2008 (we met at college a year before that), and then in 2009 we got engaged on my 21st birthday. We found out we were having our son in May 2011 (had our son Jan 2012) We got married in the church in Sept 2011, and have been married for almost a year!!!! But we have been together for 4 years in total, and i couldn't be happier!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    We moved in together after 5 months, but didn't get engaged for 4.5 years and waited another 2.5 years before the wedding... we're not much for rushing, lol. we have been married a little over a year, and plan to wait another year or so before trying for a baby
  • MommaSpunk
    MommaSpunk Posts: 113
    Options
    We were togeather for almost two years had oour son..married almost a year later... then two years later divored and now we are back togeather after almost a year apart...wierd I know