Guesstimating

Options
124»

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this.

People who do NOT measure: How much weight have you lost? And how long did it take you?

People who DO measure and weigh: How much weight have you lost and how much? And how long did it take?

Me, I measure everything and lost 73 pounds over 8 months.
    Get over yourself. Your way doesn't have to be everyone else's way.

I don't own a scale, I don't want a scale and my weight loss is not going to depend on whether or not my steak was 8 oz or 12oz. I use measuring cups occasionally when it makes sense to but more often than not I just best-guess it. I'm consistent and honest with myself and I've lost 50 pounds in the last 30 weeks -- 2.6 pounds just last week in fact.

Scales and measuring cups are simply tools -- that most dieters find value in using -- but they're not must haves.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

People who do NOT measure: How much weight have you lost? And how long did it take you?

People who DO measure and weigh: How much weight have you lost and how much? And how long did it take?

I don't own a scale, I don't want a scale and my weight loss is not going to depend on whether or not my steak was 8 oz or 12oz. I use measuring cups occasionally when it makes sense to but more often than not I just best-guess it. I'm consistent and honest with myself and I've lost 50 pounds in the last 30 weeks -- 2.6 pounds just last week in fact.

Scales and measuring cups are simply tools -- that most dieters find value in using -- but they're not must haves.

Why must I GET OVER MYSELF? I never said MY WAY WAS/SHOULD BE EVERYONE ELSE'S WAY.

I am just curious. That is all. Have a great day.

And as far as cups and scales NOT being must have's. I am sure many many people here would disagree with you on that.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Why must I GET OVER MYSELF? I never said MY WAY WAS/SHOULD BE EVERYONE ELSE'S WAY.

And as far as cups and scales NOT being must have's. I am sure many many people here would disagree with you on that.

Clearly they aren't must haves, as many people here have lost their desired amount of weight without measuring obsessively every meal.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

Clearly they aren't must haves, as many people here have lost their desired amount of weight without measuring obsessively every meal.

For you, NOT a must have.

For me, a definite must have. I love them and they have worked awesomelyfor me.

I asked the question about who uses them and doesn't and how much weight and how long it took simply out of curiousity.

I know for a fact, I have tried to EYEBALL stuff and put it in the measuring cup to see how I did. I can tell you this. I was WAY WAY WAY off all the time. Either over or under.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Measure, measure, measure. I often find that a serving is a lot more than I expected! Tonight I had one cup of white rice (200 calories), 1 cup of broccoli (25 calories) and 4 oz of a grilled chicken breast (120 calories) and I was stuffed!!! It's all about portion control. :-)
  • thinlizzy525
    Options
    Measuring cups and a food scale are your best friend.

Ohhhhhhhhhh this is so true!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Guesstimating is Ok if you need to. Measure at least a few days a week. Guesstimates tend to grow over time. It's easy to miss a few added ounces until you measure and find out it's a full cup instead of 2/3 or whatever. Guesstimates a;ways grow.
  • ccole4
    ccole4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I measure everything. I keep a teaspoon, tablespoon, 1/4 cup & cup right on the kitchen counter. I also take them with me when I travel. It is amazing how much more you eat when you guesstimate! I would strongly suggest using them if you are serious about tracking your weight. It is the only way to know EXACTLY what you are eating.
    this
  • punkypants
    Options
    if i am not able to measure or in a hurry then i try to eyeball it the best i can and then when i log it i add an extra serving that way i KNOW im not going over!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I measure everything. I keep a teaspoon, tablespoon, 1/4 cup & cup right on the kitchen counter. I also take them with me when I travel. It is amazing how much more you eat when you guesstimate! I would strongly suggest using them if you are serious about tracking your weight. It is the only way to know EXACTLY what you are eating.
    this

I suppose I would query if we need to know EXACTLY what we are eating in that much detail. Perhaps as a vegetarian it isn't as big an issue for me as it really makes no odds to anything if I eat 100 or 200g of courgette. The calorie difference is irrelevant. I am more accurate when it comes to fats and oils.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I weigh. Last night we had pasta and as I didn't have many calories left I had a half portion and saved myself 130 cals.
    My husband had a recommended portion and by looking alone it was really hard to judge.
    Meal wise the half portion was completely satisfying,
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS measure & weigh!

When you dont.. and you think about it after you have your stuff out, then go back and measure or weigh it. You will be surprised.

Ive cooked for 20+ years and i thought I culd pretty much tell also... Boy was I wrong.
  • BrittanyLail
    BrittanyLail Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I weigh weigh and measure.... I also budget 100 calories each day for slip ups or extras such as gum.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I guesstimate I'm to lazy to measure but I always round up.