Be honest

Options

Replies

• thebrianmo
    thebrianmo Posts: 108
    Options
    Be honest, why do you work out?

To improve my cardio function and lose weight, to have more stamina and energy.
  • kraewalker
    kraewalker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I workout so I don't end up like my father, barely 50 and already 2 heart attacks, diabetes, joint issues, severely overweight, etc.

Also, who doesn't want to look in the mirror and feel good about how you look?
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I work out because I want to have more energy, as I get tired easily. And my job is quite physical, so I want to be stronger so that I will find it easier. Since I started working out, I find I like the feeling of being stronger, so this also motivates me now. And I like taking measurements and seeing progress, so this also motivates me.
  • LisaGore1
    Options
    I can't honestly say why I started but many things changed in my life from losing my dad when I found out I was pregnant with my very first child and knowing that my dad and son would never meet to having my son and weighing in at my highest weight of 300lbs. and being on high blood pressures meds at 33 yrs of age...something just clicked and I started to do it. but now I know its for me and I love the new me...Nothing will ever make me go back to the self conscious,feeling depressed, and lazy, fat me that I was before losing the weight to the confident outgoing and beautiful person I am now.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    I am 5'2" and 129lbs, my BMI falls in the healthy range, but I want to be "skinny" again, I want to tone my tummy and like what I see in the mirror. I want my husband to find me extra sexy (he thinks I am attractive and doesn't really see the point of me trying to lose weight....) I do want to set a good example for my kids, and send across healthy messages, but they don't care if my tummy is flabby or not, only I do. I am totally making this change for my own ego. :)
  • FearlessLissy13
    Options
    For the endorphins! I feel unstoppable when I run or do strenght training. And of course, I find myself much more attractive when I'm looking into the mirror after showering ;) But since nobody's gonna see that (at least not now), it's just for me :)
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    For the endorphins! I feel unstoppable when I run or do strenght training. And of course, I find myself much more attractive when I'm looking into the mirror after showering ;) But since nobody's gonna see that (at least not now), it's just for me :)

Same, for the feel and for the mirror, since no one else watches. Mirror mirror on the wall who's the skinniest of all...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I just started going to the gym this week. When I told one of my co-workers she said “ oh that’s good, your son needs you healthy”.

Ya see..my son has nothing to do with this. I am 5’9 and 150 lbs, I’m not at risk for any health issues. I just want to look good... as selfish as that!! I want my 6 sick back and I want to fit into my size 2 jeans again!! My son doesn’t need me to wear size 2!

We tend to use our children as an excuse for everything we do or don’t do, but is that really the case?

Be honest, why do you work out?

I workout to be strong, look good, and feel good. To hell with health... who the hells want to live to be 90+? I have family members at 90 or older and it's ain't pretty.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like the endorphins afterward. I love the freedom of running, the wind on your shoulders, and being outdoors.
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Honestly I work out so that I can feel good, look good and eat more! :)

^^Exactly!^^
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I want to look good naked!
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    All my friends are thin and pretty. I don't want to be the fat friend anymore, embarrassed to go anywhere or do anything with them and feeling like I get invited out of pity.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    >Be honest, why do you work out?

To help lose weight, but even more so to strengthen my heart. Diabetics have an significantly increased chance of dieing from a heart attack, even if they've got good glucose control, and low cholesterol, so I do what I can to have a healthy heart.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I exercise for many reasons, mostly for the ability benefits (I am a dancer), but I make health my main focus because that prevents injury. And also focusing on appearance just feels like a slippery slope into an unhealthy attitude about myself and my life values. The health benefits of exercise are about much more than weight. When the people closest to me hear that I am doing well with my fitness they say that makes them very happy to hear because they know that exercise contributes most of all to my mental health. And it is a mental attitude. When I am fit and exercising I feel healthy and have more energy for everything, including my children (it has nothing to do with weight for me).
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I showed my kids how to put kids first and myself last. I put myself first now. Of course they are grown and out of the house now. Worst parenting skill ever.
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    To look better naked. I think I look good naked already, I just want to look amazing all over!

OH and I feel a hellava lot better when I'm training. Body's loose, muscles are strong. Confidence and mood are both enhanced.
  • thatleegirl
    Options
    I am in no way comparable to you - started with a BMI of nearly 50. I will admit, though, that my biggest motivator was the fear that I was building such bad habits into my kids. I saw them sitting a lot, reading, and eating the same things I ate as a teen...that started all of this! Of course, I am doing it for me...and to be honest, I am working hard at it because I have really started to see this as an evil in my life...but the kickstarter was wanting to help form better futures for my kids.
  • AaronG91
    AaronG91 Posts: 20
    Options
    A few reasons, and depending the day any of them could be the main reason but I think it is the combination of them all:

1. The fun of competitive sport.
    2. Training in the gym improves sport performance if done correctly.
    3. The numerous health benefits.
    4. Improves appearance.
    5. It is a good way to kill time and meet people with something in common.
    6. The pump I feel from a good workout that I don't think can be achieved from anything else.
  • somesuchsayer
    Options
    Honestly, It's all for da womens. :D
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I want to look good and be healthy, etc. but this is nothing new. I've wanted this for many years. It wasn't until my daughter said something to me that I became motivated and actually REALLY started this "journey." This is also the first time I've succeeded. So yes she really has been my drive.