50 shades of grey!

Options

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the books, some of the repetition was tiresome, but I did like the content and was entertained. If you are someone that picks every book you read apart then you wouldn't like these books. But if you can look past the writing style and just enjoy the content I think it was pretty entertaining. Obviously it isn't that horrible since it is selling so well and they are looking to make it into a movie.
  • Msbutton
    Options
    working on book 2. book 3 is waiting..didnt read the thread dont want any spoilers
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    History of a Pleasure Seeker by Richard Mason is my recommendation for following the devouring of the 50 Shades trilogy.

I read the hardcopy of Mason's book but now I see the digital app for the book is complete with icons to play the music as it appears in the book and moving pictures of the cities traveled etc. ( like a Harry Potter newspaper but in book form)

Richard Mason's gift for story telling keeps you entertained and the book is hard to put down. It's a quick read as well.
  • MarshallCroft
    Options
    I wish all men knew woman like romance and a wild guy! loll
    [/quote

"wild guy," does that mean a guy with a slight psychotic edge? There's plenty of those...

What would be the perfect guy? I know every woman's different but my hypothesis is that there are many similar characteristics...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You know, anyone who has a snide or nasty remark to make about the books people read should just keep it to themselves. Most books are meant to entertain and that is probably what 50 Shades did for most people. Some of us may not like what you read but you don't see us bashing you. You are of course entitled to your opinion but man, you could be a little nicer about it. Okay, so you didn't like the book. We got it. LOL
    It's a discussion forum, people can discuss whatever they want. There's no rule against saying you don't like something. If you liked the books then feel free to skip over the negative reviews. Also try reading some literature.
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    Gilbert Gottfried likes it too.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1RcKJVbHA
    Also, check out the hunger games-not smutty, but nice light reading
  • backonbandwagon
    Options
    Love it!
  • Belenmc
    Belenmc Posts: 15
    Options
    You know, anyone who has a snide or nasty remark to make about the books people read should just keep it to themselves. Most books are meant to entertain and that is probably what 50 Shades did for most people. Some of us may not like what you read but you don't see us bashing you. You are of course entitled to your opinion but man, you could be a little nicer about it. Okay, so you didn't like the book. We got it. LOL

"bashing you"? Please don't take my post personally. I'm not bashing "you", I'm giving out my opinion in a public forum. I love reading and literature and in my opinion the book is trash and this has absolutely nothing to do with you, your likes, your enjoyment of the book..etc etc.

You will find that a lot of people have purchased the book to see what the fuss was about, but for every positive review, there is one person who hated it.

It's a bit like marmite. I love it, but if you hate it, please feel free to say it tastes of poo, it has nothing to do with me and it won't affect my enjoyment of it on hot buttered toast!

(except I really should stay clear of the butter right now haha).
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    There are two other books in the series, fifty shades darker and fifty shades freed!
    Anyone read this? I just finished and thought it was awesome! Im kinda depressed because now i have nothing to read or look forward to read, lol. Anyone know of any books similar to twilight, 50 shades if grey or anything like mitch alboms books?
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants a true/funny/harsh review of 50 Shades should read this one: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

I've read all three and I must say that it's all utter crap. If you like it, whatever...but it's total garbage. :flowerforyou:

This is how I think I'm going to feel about them. I have finished the first two and feel the plot has the possibility of being good, the writing is TERRIBLE. VERY BAD! I get physically ill every time I read the words "my inner goddess", which happens to be in every other sentence...blech. :sick:

If I had not promised my cousin I would read them, I probably wouldn't even read the third one. Good thing they are very easy reads and can be finished quickly!

Even just typing the words 'inner goddess' makes me flair with rage. haha.

tumblr_m8abgf2Aru1rpmkme.gif
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    Any recommendations for similar books that don't have anything to do with Vampires? I don't understand the vampire addiction people have, I've never been a fan myself. But any other recommendations would be awesome! Thank you.
  • eshiestar
    Options
    Anyone read this? I just finished and thought it was awesome! Im kinda depressed because now i have nothing to read or look forward to read, lol. Anyone know of any books similar to twilight, 50 shades if grey or anything like mitch alboms books?
  • eshiestar
    Options
    The black dagger brotherhood series is awesome if you like vampires.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options

"bashing you"? Please don't take my post personally. I'm not bashing "you", I'm giving out my opinion in a public forum. I love reading and literature and in my opinion the book is trash and this has absolutely nothing to do with you, your likes, your enjoyment of the book..etc etc.

You will find that a lot of people have purchased the book to see what the fuss was about, but for every positive review, there is one person who hated it.

It's a bit like marmite. I love it, but if you hate it, please feel free to say it tastes of poo, it has nothing to do with me and it won't affect my enjoyment of it on hot buttered toast!

^Took the words right out of my mouth.

Also, yes, books are meant to entertain, but books--like TV shows, video games, and movies--also have a profound affect on the human mind. Writers have the right to publish whatever they want, but personally, I also believe in narrative integrity. A book can still be entertaining--in fact, I'd wager it would be more entertaining--if the proper research is executed and more effort is put into a plausible premise. If that had been done, you probably wouldn't be hearing my complaints. The reality of the matter, however, is that 50 Shades does not present a plausible premise, and then follows that up with a relationship full of unsafe practices--things that the BDSM community as a whole has firmly stated would never happen in a sane and consensual BDSM relationship--and then establishes that as "normal". If James called it as it was, okay. If she meant it as irony, okay. But she meant neither of those things. She's just a bad writer, and it's easy to open fire on such a weak narrative when the prose itself is riddled with such cringe-worthy phrases as "My inner goddess is doing the merengue with some salsa moves."

Feel free to bash what I read. I won't take it personally. I'd like to think that most of my reading material is more easily defensible than 50 Shades of Grey, but I suppose you never know. :flowerforyou:
    I enjoyed the books, some of the repetition was tiresome, but I did like the content and was entertained. If you are someone that picks every book you read apart then you wouldn't like these books. But if you can look past the writing style and just enjoy the content I think it was pretty entertaining. Obviously it isn't that horrible since it is selling so well and they are looking to make it into a movie.

Just because the masses are buying it doesn't mean it's not horrible. Especially since it's a self-perpetuating cycle: people keep buying it because people keep talking about it. The number of sales it makes says nothing about its quality.
  • Belenmc
    Options

^Took the words right out of my mouth.

Also, yes, books are meant to entertain, but books--like TV shows, video games, and movies--also have a profound affect on the human mind. Writers have the right to publish whatever they want, but personally, I also believe in narrative integrity. A book can still be entertaining--in fact, I'd wager it would be more entertaining--if the proper research is executed and more effort is put into a plausible premise. If that had been done, you probably wouldn't be hearing my complaints. The reality of the matter, however, is that 50 Shades does not present a plausible premise, and then follows that up with a relationship full of unsafe practices--things that the BDSM community as a whole has firmly stated would never happen in a sane and consensual BDSM relationship--and then establishes that as "normal". If James called it as it was, okay. If she meant it as irony, okay. But she meant neither of those things. She's just a bad writer, and it's easy to open fire on such a weak narrative when the prose itself is riddled with such cringe-worthy phrases as "My inner goddess is doing the merengue with some salsa moves."

Feel free to bash what I read. I won't take it personally. I'd like to think that most of my reading material is more easily defensible than 50 Shades of Grey, but I suppose you never know. :flowerforyou:

Just because the masses are buying it doesn't mean it's not horrible. Especially since it's a self-perpetuating cycle: people keep buying it because people keep talking about it. The number of sales it makes says nothing about its quality.

WHAT SHE SAID!!! :love:
  • Belenmc
    Options

It's a discussion forum, people can discuss whatever they want. There's no rule against saying you don't like something. If you liked the books then feel free to skip over the negative reviews. Also try reading some literature.

Agreed!
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    bang
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    OHHHHMMMMMMMGEEEEE I just love reading about abusive relationships....so hot.....so romantic
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    omg.

*slams head on desk*
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    loved it before it was a published book (when it first come out), still love it now with it's New Name, lol

Can you tell? Look at my ticker ;)

Later's Baby!

xoxo