Quickie weddings or long engagements?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• PandaDreamerGurl
    Options
    Technically my husband and I were only engaged for 12 hours before we got married. We had everything planned out for us to get married... even though he had't "officially" asked. He asked the night before we got married. We were together for 7 1/2 months before we finally got married. We're still newly webs though. Married only 6 1/2 months.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I had known my husband for 4 years but we were only together a total of 6 months before we were married thanks to a pending deployment that pushed our wedding date up by 9 months! We ended up divorced and my next engagement was going to be a total of 16 months long! 3 months into it I called it off. My ex and I are back together and plan to get re-married. We're going to sign the papers on our original wedding day so it will be 11 months now.
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    Awwwwww :heart: congrats to the sweet love stories!!!

Myself and that guy were datng 3 years and engaged for one year, we lived together for about 60 days before things began to unravel. Fortunately we parted as friends. but I highly reccommend testing the waters and use a year of engagement. Unless the sky opens and elvis comes down and says that person is the one.

Love is a grand feeling. Make love make sense too is all im saying.:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Dated 1st hubby 18 months, engaged 18 months. . .married @ 25. Divorced 5 years later.

Dated hubby #2 3 weeks. . .he bought ring. . .waited to propose for 2 months. Bought house together same day we got engaged. Married at 8 1/2 months. . . still married @ 8 1/2 years. Looking forward to another 50+ years together!!!

I knew on our first date I was going to marry him. 5 short months after my dissolution was finalized.
  • AndreaK1021
    Options
    My husband and I met in April, moved in together in September, got engaged in October, married the next April. We've been married for 5 years and have a wonderful 4 yo daughter.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Dated for 6 years throughout high school and college, got engaged, Engaged for 5 years, Married for 3 years:) 14 years of my life with the love of my life!!:heart:
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've been with my s.o. for six years last February, we have lived together most of this time, we have a beautiful four year old, we're not married, but we are each others. I don't see a line separating engaged and married I guess(other than a few things like the ymca not letting us sign up as a family). We plan on getting married, but it's going to be more of a celebration of our love, than the beginning of the rest of our life, we're already living our life together. Our daughter will be my flower girl and it's going to be at the Scarborough faire, going to have a blast and I do admit that I'm looking forward to our honeymoon ; ) and I totally think people with a child/ren are more apt to appreciate a honeymoon lol.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Met November 5, 2005
    Left for Navy boot camp January 30, 2006
    Came home on leave after boot camp/school May 27, 2006
    Engaged May 28, 2006
    He got stationed 700 miles away in summer 2006
    I moved in with him October 30, 2006
    Married November 3, 2006!

Still together after a few rough but good years!
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    We've been dating + living together for 5 years. Not engaged, not married. We own a home together, share expenses, share finances, share families. The only difference between us and a married couple of a piece of paper. So why bother? If it ever saves us on taxes, we might do it. But until then, I don't see why we need a ceremony or a certificate to prove that we're in this for the long haul.
  • ohmykai
    ohmykai Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    There really is no right or wrong here.... Get to know the person first and foremost..... I was engaged for 1 1/2 years.... And I don't regret, we moved in together also after 1 month.... Of course here we are 13 later about to divorce but that is a whole different story... You have to get to know each other, marriage is a HUGE COMMITMENT.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm scared to be married, which is why we're doing a common law thing in Canada, but I'll have a ring from my great-grandmother to wear for about 6 months this Christmas before we have a celebration then we're moving to Canada.

Been together over 3 years as of now, and we'll be "married" (common law) just past the four year mark.

Been living together for the past year, and before that, we lived together during the summers and winters I was home from school (I went to uni in a different country, did the LDR thing for 2 years before we both got sick of it and I moved back to my homestate)

Someone said before, you can love 'em, doesn't mean you still don't want to strangle him! And I find that's so true! He's my best friend and lover and most awesome person ever but I still want to throttle him when he bugs me AGAIN about putting the ice tray in the "right" spot in the freezer. OCD much, honey? haha ;P
  • mmulick
    Options
    Personally I think short engagements are dangerous because you don't know the person well enough to commit the rest of your life to. Had a sister marry someone only after a few short months. Bad marriage because she didn't have enough time to really get to know him, needless to say marriage ended. Long engagements or at least long dating 2-3 years.
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Met briefly at a party in the UK. Kind of kept in touch for a while. I went to visit friends in the UK and we hit it off. One month later he was moving in with me in the US. 3 months later he proposed, couple weeks after that we got married. Will be 15 years next year!
  • quinn84
    quinn84 Posts: 10
    Options
    I met my hubby at work in 2001
    Started dating May 2004
    Engaged November 2009 (I was in school while we were dating)
    Married August 2011

:)
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I met my husband and started dating 6 years ago. Five years ago, he proposed, but we decided to wait until we were a bit more financially stable. We finally married on October 13th of this year. :)
  • TheRyanMeister
    Options
    By the time my fiance and I have our wedding, we'll have been engaged for two years. We've been together 4 years total. By the time we get married, it will be almost 5 years that we've been together. I knew the day I met him I was going to marry him. Life got in the way, the military got in the way (deployment) but I wouldn't change any of it. As long as him and I are together, married or not, all is right in the world.