What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• meowchii
    meowchii Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Italian, Armenian, & often people just ask me if I am latin.
  • gowenmalone
    Options
    Spanish and turkish.. strangely enough! The Turkish mistake was by turkish people too.. then again so was the Spanish
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    People always think I'm Algerian. I had one guy start talking to me in Bangladeshi once then appologise as he thought I was from Bangladesh! I'm half French half Jamaican lol.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm white British, but have often been mistaken by Russian people for Russian. Apparently I have a Russian shaped face.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I get Irish, Italian, Polish and I even got Eskimo yesterday... Though that one I believe was more of a joke LOL!

I'm mostly all Scottish, maybe a bit of English mixed in there.
  • SiBarber
    Options
    I'm English but people in America often assume I'm Australian when I speak to them. I think it's because I'm from London but I don't sound either like Hugh Grant or a Cockney.
  • MoonyRose
    Options
    I'm mainly Caribbean, Scottish and English. Yet when I was born my mum was told that I clearly "had an oriental father". Everyone thinks I'm from somewhere different, and it varies depending on the time of the year. I've been called Oriental, Tahitian, Spanish, plain English, it really travels about the world a bit. Sometimes people meet my mum for the first time and they're like WTF o_0! I'm 5"10 and she's 5"3 and white, that's sometimes the start of questions.

Anyhuu I enjoy being mixed race, and confusing everybody :)!
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i'm canadian, with german on my fathers side and scottish/english/germanic roots on my mom's side.

I have been told i'm american (overseas), spanish and italian.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Most people think White British, Dutch or German. When I was younger and had lighter hair I occasionally got the odd swedish comment. I'm actually English, Black Mauritian and Dutch so not that far off really for the most part, I'm the lightest person in my family the majority have dark skin.
  • jerbear67
    jerbear67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've been mistaken for so many different ethnicities that I just roll with it now...its fun keeping people guessing...I've yet to have anyone guess any part of my true nationality/ethnicity...
  • stargazer008
    Options
    People either don't know what I am or they assume I'm Indian or Persian. Or they kind of know the area I'm from like the Middle East. Like once my teacher gave me dates because of my background even though she doesn't know what exactly I am. Another time, in school we read a book based in Afghanistan and I told a girl I understood it well and she's like well you're from there. Another time, a women spoke to me in Arabic but I couldn't understand her.

My ancestry is very mixed and my parents are mixed as well. My ancestry is Pakistani, Arab, Persian, Afghan and Mongolian. So people tend to be right about some of my ancestry.
  • 1nr15
    1nr15 Posts: 155
    Options
    I'm Italian... all grandparents are either from Calabria, Naples, or Abruzzi. It's so weird because when I'm tan, I get mistaken for Spanish or Middle Eastern and when I'm a little lighter I get mistaken for German or Swedish lol so weird :ohwell:
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    Mexican and Cambodian... Mexican when I ha long hair and Cambodian every summer when I get darker
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    In college a professor whose main concentration was Russian studies thought my last name was Russian. My maiden name was Petrarca, a very historic and Italian name. I felt bad because I had to correct him in front of the whole class!

I also get mistaken for being Swedish because of my blonde hair. I am not only Italian, but also polish.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Martian... take me to your leader :)
  • runner_chick24
    runner_chick24 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm Asian- American. I usually get mistaken for Hispanic or Native American because of my tan.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people think I'm Norwegian-American, but I'm actually Swedish-American.
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    From Iran. I'm Mexican.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've been mistaken as Mexican more than once, because when it's sunny out, my skin sucks it in and I get extremely dark, and I was born with dark hair and eyes. My heritage is Italian, German, and Native American. Two sets of great grandparents were Native American Indians, and the other great grandparents were off the boat Italians and Germans.
  • AugustSong
    Options
    I'm often mistaken for being Irish or Scottish, because of my accent, especially since I moved away from home. I have both in my history, but I'm Canadian, just from a small island with a culture of it's own.