How to overcome the embarassment of working out in public?

Options

Replies

• freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Agree on the music I can also can spend an evening sorting out the order of tracks. I start with We are the champions ( always look on the bright side is my motto) with mix of cheesy beat music if I had enough puff I would sing along but that would scare everyone!
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

I have always been so embarassed even just to walk fast though my village and get out of breath and all red where people can see me but your Dr Seuss quote just unlocked something in my mind. I am going to chant this to myself as I go out today. THANK YOU! :drinker:
  • Spitbubblr
    Options
    I tend to go in the early morning (5-6am) as the only people I see outside are also working out, so it isn't too bad, or 8:30pm when everyone starts going inside for the night. Eventually you get over it though and focus on your own health. Or listen to some music and look straight ahead so you can't focus on people ^__^
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to take a deep breath and just go for it! When I started I jogged in place in my living room/backyard b/c I didn't want to be the fat girl trying to run. The first day I tried it outdoors I barely made it 1/4 mile. Every day got a little better and I could go a little further. Fast forward to now, 2 years from then and me training for my first marathon. I see people smaller than me, and bigger than me, faster than me and slower than me, and I just think, we're all out for the same purpose of trying to be better. Good luck!
  • SenhoraFox
    Options
    It doesn't stay like that, I promise. It takes being brave to start and soon it becomes second nature. The biggest tip I can give you is to try get somebody to do it with. That helped me tremendously.
  • scandiebirdie
    scandiebirdie Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do if I feel self-conscious or embarrassed about being "spandex'ed up" and working out (cycling, running, whatever) in public: Sod them!! At least I am doing something to improve my quality of life, health and fitness!!! If others cannot see that, who cares. (repeat as necessary).

Seriously, I know the feeling, but who cares what they think??? Is your life going to improve by NOT working out in public? Is theirs? It's got nothing to do with them - it's got to do with you - and you're on the perfect and right track. Keep going :))))

(There was a lovely motivational post a week or so back with an "NSV" (non-scale victory) where one of the members had been working out at the gym religiously (I gather she was fairly "large") and a guy walked up to her out of the blue, complimented her on the zealousness and determination and said he admired her pounding it it out day after day. So it *could* also be that when "others" see you working out in public, they think: "Good on you!!!" :) (But again, either way: what they think doesn't matter. What you're doing for yourself and your life does!)
  • scandiebirdie
    scandiebirdie Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    We need a "LIKE" button for fantastic posts like this one:
    http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

This link was posted in the "Motivation" forum (I think it's been doing the rounds by email as well). I'll try quoting it here - not sure it will work...
    Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

- Flint
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    Fake it. Act like you 100% should be there and want to be there because you have something to accomplish. Even if you can't get yourself to fully feel this way, just starting will push you in the right direction. What you were first forcing yourself to feel becomes natural and evolves into genuine confidence.

I second this! Fake it 'till you make it.
    Work it :)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

This link was posted in the "Motivation" forum (I think it's been doing the rounds by email as well). I'll try quoting it here - not sure it will work...
    Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

- Flint

@ Silveronthetree I just read this and I'm welling up, thanks for posting the link to a truly inspiring blogpost.

To the OP, it took me 2 years to work up the courage to go to a Tae Kwon Do class and get over wondering what other would think, 2 years wasted, because once I started I loved it and have been doing it for almost 4 years. You're working out for you and nobody else!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Just get out there and do it. When I'm out bike riding I see all kinds of people- some in great shape running or zipping along right by me on the bike- and others who look like they are struggling just to go for a walk. Point being they ARE going for that walk. I have a lot of respect for anyone and everyone who is out there getting after it.
  • New_Keeley
    New_Keeley Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I promise most people thing "good on ya"!!!!! Please just do it...don't let anyone else stop you or you let those narrow minded idiots win! YOU win instead!!!!!!!!!!! :0)

^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^ Go for it!
  • stannyxc
    Options
    Why don't you try walking briskly for some time first. I do that and I really love it. I think its better if you have somewhere to go though. I walk to and from work - 30 min each. City centre - about an hour each way. If you want to do it you'll find the time. I find that caring a second pair of shoes help a lot, especially at the start. Yesterday I walked 10-12miles and didn't have a second pair and my feet are absolutely sore today. Mind you, yesterdays I was on high hills too. I just put the radio on my phone and take in the world around me :)
  • PK0993
    PK0993 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is definitely difficult to start, not because you can't do it but because you've created all these people in your head that you think are judging you. Once you're out the door and you start exercising, you'll notice that no one really cares about how you look and you'll notice that you'll probably not care about those other people too, because you'll be being awesome and exercising and making a change to your own life.

An example, about a month ago, I would go to my local park to have a run and just turn back if I saw anyone there, or I would go and run in some trees or something. I then realised a couple weeks later than no one was actually looking at me. Fast-forward to last week, when I went to that same park - there was a fair or something going on in part of the park, and .lots and lots of people were walking up and down everywhere. I didn't turn back this time, because I knew that I was running to help and impress myself and no one else. No one said anything to me or motioned to me or anything, even though I was a sweaty mess and I run very oddly. So take it from me, once you take the first step out, and you carry on getting used to exercising outside, then you will start to care a lot less and will just focus on your own goals.

Best of luck!
  • camsamdad
    camsamdad Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 6 months still slow but running. I started off at our church we have a walking group that walks on Tue. and Thur. and I would walk with them also our church set off just a little bit from the road, when I started to run I also run at the church. I go to the beach and run some but I try to go when its not so busy still not very comfortable running in front of people but it is getting better.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You need to change your mindset and do things for you...don't let others judge you.....just do it!
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you're out there? You're not talking about it - you're doing it. You're not copping out - you're dedicated. You've set goals - and you're working towards them. I have inordinate respect for the people who get in there and do it.

My favourite moment in a sporting event was during a fun run in Wellington, NZ, there was this behemoth of a dude lumbering his way through an 8km race. His trainer ran with him the first 2km, then it was him on his own for the rest of it. Half a km in and he had huge sweat rings everywhere, he was red as anything, and wheezing like a broken accordion, but just KEPT GOING, getting passed by kids, grannies, etc etc. Yet he got the most cheers, high fives, applause and love from all the spectators. When he got to the end his trainer gave him a huge hug and this random guy walks up to him and says 'You're a f*cking inspiration, mate. Keep it up.' then wandered off into the crowd. It was great, the respect he got for having a go. Still makes me smile.
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Either ignore them... Or do what I think:
    1. If they are more fitter than me: I say within "dont worry, one day I will surpass them".
    2. Otherwise, show the m... finger (atleast in your mind) LOL.
  • WTBSE
    WTBSE Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL so so much, its at times like these that i am really glad i joined the forum. You are all right, sod them!
    Silveronthetree - what an AMAZING post..thanks so much for putting it on this thread, its such a boost!
    C25K here i come!
  • silico
    silico Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the GYM or swimming. The faces haunt me into the following night.

Running however is a different ball game. You only see people when running for like half a minute, then you don't have to worry about them any more.

Also, you should try running at a time of day when its quiet, like really early or late at night. Although I only run late at night up and down my own street for safety, but being 6'2" and wearing a tracksuit hoodie does help with that.

If all else fails, try running in a group?
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Just get out there and go. When I started running again I got passed on a hill by a mother pushing two kids up a hill. Very embarrassing, but whatever I was out there.