Anyone NOT eat all of there exercise calories??

Options

Replies

• FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I generally do not eat all, depends, maybe 1/2, all depends on the burn. But, I spike(open day) on Sunday so there kinda banked for then. When I was losing weight I did not. Maintaining now.115 1year
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

:noway: Saw a lot of responses like this...Why would anyone bother using MFP's GUESStimate when you can use an HRM with a chest strap that actually measures your expenditure?
    Because some people don't have the extra money to buy one right now. :wink:

Me thinks tis' why they invented ebay. Tis' where I picked mine up, many moons ago.

(for 50% off the retail price)

:wink: :wink:

As soon as I have extra money, I will buy a new one at K-mart. But no extra money means just that. We are scraping pennies together until the middle of September.

Just trying to figure out if you are trying to imply that my HRM wasn't new? (For the record, it was UNUSED and Sealed in it's original package)

If I was scraping pennies together, I really wouldn't turn my nose up at Ebay...Just a thought. :)

I have an HRM....but its not waterproof so cant use in in the pool. And waterproof ones are VERY expensive. So I do the best I can with the guesstimates.

The one I got on Ebay is a Polar FT7 and one of the reasons I got it is because it's waterproof and I love to swim.
  • 041jackson
    041jackson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Because this is my first ever attempt at dieting, I am not used to the relatively huge reduction of calories (1000) so for the first 3 days I ate them back (and more). I feel like once my body adjusts I will determine on a day to day basis (e.g. HOW much I work out and IF I am hungry) how many more additional calories I will consume.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I'll eat a few of them (less than 100) but I've never had the need to eat back all of them. My understanding is that you can, weight loss will just be a bit slower. When I have used some of them its been when I've eaten out a lot that day/weekend.

My BMR (1683) and my MFP allowence (1690) are so close I just try to hit in that general range (which is kind of hard so I at least try to get 1400-1500 and am happy) and I've had success with weight loss & inches lost as well.
  • mandydanyele
    Options
    I don't eat all of mine back either. Because then I feel like...what was the point of working out?
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

:noway: Saw a lot of responses like this...Why would anyone bother using MFP's GUESStimate when you can use an HRM with a chest strap that actually measures your expenditure?
    Because some people don't have the extra money to buy one right now. :wink:

Me thinks tis' why they invented Ebay. Tis' where I picked mine up, many moons ago.

(for 50% off the retail price)

:wink: :wink:

Even 50% off is too much for some people. Some people are breaking the bank just to try and eat healthy and get exercise in. A HRM is great if you can get one...if not, well people have been losing weight for far longer than HRM have been around.

Also, I don't really think it's helpful to make people explain HOW broke they are. If a person says they can't afford it, THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH! Geez!

I NEVER asked for anyone to elaborate. I just didn't appreciate the IMPLICATION that the one I purchased was USED simply because I bought it off of Ebay. "Geez!"
  • sanaa4560
    Options
    I dun eat my exercise calories back cz it makes me feel guilty n i feel i over eated
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat all of mine back and sometimes don't even finish my daily allotment as long as I am over 1200. It comes down to whether or not I am hungry.
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Nope me either! I'm the same as Sozano...I feel like I over eat if I do!
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I do not normally eat back my exercise calories back. I usually only add my workout at the end of the day when I end my calorie intake.
  • silico
    silico Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all of mine back either. Because then I feel like...what was the point of working out?

There are loads of additional health benefits to exercise on its own, and not to mention muscle mass burns more calories at rest anyway.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM to get a more accurate reading of my calories burned....I make sure I am netting 1500calories every day as a general rule thats about half my workout calories
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i am replying to a quote much earlier in this thread, and i have not yet read pages 3 and 4 of this thread,
    but i saw a remark,
    //"Saw a lot of responses like this...Why would anyone bother using MFP's GUESStimate when you can use an HRM with a chest strap that actually measures your expenditure?"//

This remark must come from a person with no cardiac problems, is my guess. I have cardiac problems, my heart rate can zoom to over 200 bpm when i am sitting still. A strap on *my* chest greatly increases this, adding pressure on my heart, also making it harder to breathe as deeply.

In fact, i have had to buy "bra-extenders" to enlarge the strap around my rib cage, to help REDUCE my heartrate, as any pressure on my chest can increase the risk of my heart zooming away.
    (and oddly, nope, a larger size bra moves the cups too far apart, or something is 'off'' there, so a "bra-extender" works best for *me*)

I can sort of understand someone with no cardiac problems wanting to increase and measure *their* heart rate, but WHY would ANYONE want to put a strap on their CHEST??? during a cardio-pulmonary workout? Why not a WRIST heart-rate monitor instead????

A wrist-monitor would be less likely to add pressure to your chest, nor would a wrist monitor impede one's lungs from fully expanding....

A racing heart, and burning calories, are not always the same thing, especially if one has cardiac or cardiac-arrhythmia problems.

Lol, at this stage in my recovery, i work hard to PREVENT my heart from racing, as it causes dizziness, profound weakness, and breathlessness a moment later., and i have to stop ALL activity til it passes.

(NOW I WILL HIT 'POST REPLY' and probably regret i did not read pages 3 and 4 prior to making a reply, lol!)
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Me.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I eat and lose weight still and keep my body happy and my fuel my muscles. But I don't hate on those that don't want to.
  • kriscrat
    kriscrat Posts: 15
    Options
    Maybe i'm odd; i always eat them back. If i don't workout to earn some extra cals and protein i get dizzy hungry.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    i am replying to a quote much earlier in this thread, and i have not yet read pages 3 and 4 of this thread,
    but i saw a remark,
    //"Saw a lot of responses like this...Why would anyone bother using MFP's GUESStimate when you can use an HRM with a chest strap that actually measures your expenditure?"//

This remark must come from a person with no cardiac problems, is my guess. I have cardiac problems, my heart rate can zoom to over 200 bpm when i am sitting still. A strap on *my* chest greatly increases this, in fact, i have had to buy "bra-extenders" to enlarge the strap around my rib cage, to help REDUCE my heartrate, as any pressure on my chest can increase the risk of my heart zooming away.
    I can sort of understand someone with no cardiac problems wanting to increase and measure *their* heart rate, but WHY would ANYONE want to put a strap on their CHEST??? during a cardio-pulmonary workout? Why not a wrist heart-rate monitor instead????

A wrist-monitor would be less likely to add pressure to your chest, nor would a wrist monitor impede one's lungs from fully expanding....

A racing heart, and burning calories, are not always the same thing, especially if one has cardiac or cardiac-arrhythmia problems.

Lol, at this stage in my recovery, i work hard to PREVENT my heart from racing, as it causes dizziness, profound weakness, and breathlessness a moment later., and i have to stop ALL activity til it passes.

(NOW I WILL HIT 'POST REPLY' and probably regret i did not read pages 3 and 4 prior to making a reply, lol!)

The strap is really comfortable. You don't feel it...it's not as if it's made of metal. That would be torture! It's softer than a bra strap and is padded. If I had cardiac problems I might feel differently, but it does cause any pressure to chest. If anything, my bra puts my pressure than the hrm chest strap.

A wrist HRM is not effective. I had one a few years ago and you have to hold a button to check your heart rate. they also do not record the amount of calories burned. The chest strap monitors your heart rate constantly, and that is why it's effective. It also records your calorie burn and doesn't stop until you stop it. It is the same idea as a Stopwatch...only instead of time, it monitors your heart.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I focus on my net number and try to keep it around 1500, I eat back some of my workout cals.:happy:
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    I don't ever eat any of them back.
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    I don't eat them back, I drink them back and have a bloody good night!