Early Morning Workout?? Opinions??

Options

Replies

• jlevie313
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts and I absolutely hate getting up at 5:30 am let alone 4:30 am to work out. However I do have to say after 12 hours of work I don't want to do anything so ultimately getting up early saves me time and after I get going I don't even notice a difference and actually feel better throughout the day! Good luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:15 4 days a week. Gym by 4:30, on my way home at 6. It sux, but that's the only time I have.

From the studying that I have done, morning workouts are more productive because your body is fresh...not tore down from the day.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The best time to work out is whenever you have time to do so.

^ This.

The physiological differences (fat burning) would only be applicable for already lean individuals and even in that case it would depend.

See here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html
  • shannonhairr
    shannonhairr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings (5am) - not because I am a morning person, though. I work M-F and I felt that if I went to workout at night, I was picking that over my kids. So instead, I do it in the morning. It took a week or two before it became easier. But now, I am sleepy at work and feel bad if I don't work out in the morning. My goal was to do this 3 days a week, but now I do it 5-6 days. You just have to find what works for you!
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The best time to work out is whenever you have time to do so.

^ This.

The physiological differences (fat burning) would only be applicable for already lean individuals and even in that case it would depend.

See here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html

^^ What he said.... However, I like the morning workouts and feel better if I workout in the morning. I am dead to the world if I don't. Then I put it off and it doesn’t get done… 5 kids will do that to you! I wake up at 4-4:30 (depending on how long or what I am doing that day) get dressed and go right into my workout hard. It works for me. I am doing Insanity right now and they have about a 10 min warm up in the beginning then into stretches so this gets me going and I don't have to wait to wake up or wait to get my HR going. When I run or do the elliptical I do ladders and in the beginning of those you do a warm up to, to get you started.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 Mon-Fri to work out from 5-6. It is the only way I can do it. I definitely wakes me up and also relaxes me before heading to work. It really can't hurt to try it out. Just be prepared for your workouts to be a little lacking at first while your body adjusts to the new hours.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I know I feel better during the day when I'm able to get an early workout in but I'm such a sleepyhead in the mornings.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I need to figure out how to be a morning person!!!
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I alternate and like both. I have trouble sleeping after my 9pm workouts but prefer the evening workouts. 3 days a week I run trails and do it at sunrise due to the heat of the afternoons.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I pretty much ONLY work out early in the mornings. On running days I'm up at 5:00 am and out the door by about 5:15, home by 6. On non-running days I try to get on my recumbent stationary bike for about a 1/2 hour in the mornings. It's tough for me to work out at night because of kids, dinner, baths, etc...
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    If you can do it, I would recommend it. It's tough the first day, but I've noticed that in the following days, I have much more energy and it's easier to get up. I put on some good music (when I'm actually doing it, that is! :laugh: ) and that puts me in a great mood for the day. The only problem for me is that if I skip it one day, just one morning say "Oh, I don't need to do it today," I am done for. I won't get up the next day or the day after that. And then I have to work back up to forcing myself to get up in the morning. It's a never ending cycle for me, even though I know that I love the way that I feel for the rest of the day (and about myself in general) when I get up early to exercise, I still wake up in the morning and say "Ten more minutes..." Why, just this morning I woke up at 5:55 like usual to give my son his thyroid medicine, and he was pretty wide awake so when I tried to lay back down, he came in and was talking to me. I got up, moved the kitten out of my room, tucked my son back into bed, and then went and got on the computer to (of all things) look up how many calories I would burn (roughly) if I did a 27 minute Jillian Michaels video! I didn't actually get up and do it, I sat on the computer thinking about doing it! Wide awake and everything. I guess I'm working my way up to it. I just need a good kick in the pants to get me going! :tongue:
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    For all of you that rise at o' dark thirty...
    What do you fuel with pre workout that early?
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options

I start out with a banana and a big glass of water before my ride.

I started getting up at 5am to ride my bike because that is the only time I know I can ride. It was rough at first, but now I like it. It is not as hot and the roads are quiet.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy mornings/you like to get up early. have at it. I think its a wonderful concept.

Me?

NO.

Just NO.
  • Swizzle1986
    Options
    I feel the most productive after an early morning jog with the dog. I get my exercise complete, beat the heat and i set myself up for a healthier day.
    Only problem is if i DONT sleep well the night before i usually cant drag my butt out of bed. Getting up at 5:45 can take its toll. I'm beat by friday night.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Lean Chews from GNC, or a pre-workout igniter. No-Xplode, NaNo, etc..
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    I could workout in the mornings if I really wanted to, but I do not like to at all. I always feel weak and like I am going to pass out. I have to eat breakfast before I can workout, but cannot workout on a full tummy (my breakfast is my biggest meal of the day). So I usually workout as soon as I get home from work (around 4pm) and it is perfect for me. It is long enough for my body to digest my lunch and right before dinner (I try to eat an early-ish dinner) so I can get my post workout meal in. The only early morning workout I like to do is jogging.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I really miss the days of doing the early morning workouts. Some years ago when I was a member at Bally's, I would get up on Saturday and Sunday mornings bright an early to get there when the club opened. Saturday's I'd lift for a half hour then go to an hour long spinning class. Sundays I just spent lifting. Those days were great. I'd usually stop and get a solid lunch (granted an early lunch) on the way home and then usually nap around noon time.

More recently when I was working for my previous employer we had a fitness room. I would go into work about 6:30AM and get in a good workout and shower before eating anything. Then eat a small breakfast at my desk in the morning. It was great, I ended up with a lot of energy for the day.

Now that I work out of my home, things have changed. I don't have the motivation to do the early morning workouts anymore. Two reason, one I would have to getup early (like 5:00) to do it and two my gym is packed from about 6:00-8:00 and I don't like being their when it's super busy.

If you have the motivation to do the early morning deal, I say go for it!!
  • InsaneEmmaLee
    Options
    If working out in the morning is the best time, or the only time, I say go for it. One workout suggestion would be to Jillian Michael's DVDs. You can purchase several that are about 20-40 mins long. Or, you could purchase any other kind of home workout DVD. Or just doing old school stuff, like jumping jacks, mountain climbers, push ups, crunches. If you google "at home workouts" there are lots of different suggestions. Also, youtube has free workout videos. Just go to youtube and search BeFit. :) Hope that helps.
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    "I am not a morning person" means.... change is uncomfortable and hard so I am not really ready to make the sacrifice!!!!!!

There is no better feeling than finishing a morning workout, followed by some clean eating! It sucks getting started but it is an awesome finish!