The retrospective: 'I can't believe I used to eat that'

Options

Replies

• DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You know those big party-sized bags of frozen chicken wings? I would bake the whole bag, and snarf the whole thing down by myself...smothered in Sweet Baby Ray's.

With a salad.

But no carb-loaded side dish, because I didn't want to be a glutton :huh:

Of course, I was home alone because I couldn't let anyone see me eat that.
    Too funny! I love the salad, that made it nutricious.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    For about a year everyday I would get the largest Mocha and a chocolate chocolate chip muffin. It was about about 800 cals. I know it's not as much as some, but it still makes me sick.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I still eat at the dreaded McDonald's - just not nearly as often. I set my own damn calorie goal on here, lower than what it told me to - and I exercise and eat healthy enough to stay under it. So far, seems to be working.

Dieting is all about what you do with it.

I got to McD's occasionally still. About once every couple of months.
    I have a veggie wrap with choc milkshake and fries.. but as you say.. it's all about what you do with it.. it is a 'treat' in that I love choc milkshake and that is the ONLY time I have one... and the wrap is better than I used to eat.. also leave half the bread. I no longer eat TWO apple pies anymore (can't remember the last time I had one to be honest) but I don't feel ashamed, I am not there as often, and certainly my kids don't ask to go anymore either. :)

Diet.. is not a word I use now, my lifestyle has change - I eat what I want.. but in moderation and knowing I must EARN it in burning it if it's naughty. lol
  • CF4L
    CF4L Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Umm, is it bad that this thread just made me really hungry? I mean I am like you and have stopped eating all that garbage but it doesn't repulse me like it did a lot of you, it just made me hungry :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting for three reasons.

One- I think a lot of you might be american as I've never heard of half the things you're eating (I *really* don't want to know what a sausage biscuit is- sounds awful!)

Two- I've never been a big fast food eater myself- I love good, well made home cooked food- just too much of it!

Three- I'm surprised by how LOW some of these calorie counts are coming out, especially the McDonalds stuff- I thought it was much higher!

Anyway, to add my tuppenceworth, I could easily consume cheese for every meal and every part of every meal-i.e
    -baked camenbert for starter
    -fish pie with cheese mash top
    -cheeseboard for dessert.... yumyumyum

But caloriewise- it's awful! I do have to slightly avoid cheese now....

A "biscuit" in the U.S. is not the same as a "biscuit" in other parts of the world (particularly England). A biscuit here is a type of bread similar to a roll. What you think of as a biscuit is what we would call a cookie, which is a sweet treat (wouldn't consider it a pastry, but it is considered a dessert) and would be absolutely dreadful with sausage.

Like you, I definitely prefer good, homemade food to fast food. However, we Americans often eat it more for the sake of convenience than anything else. It's much easier and faster to stop at the drive thru and pick something up for dinner than it is to go home and go to the trouble of preparing something ourselves then having to clean up afterwards.

Can you describe what baked camenbert, fish pie/cheese mash, and cheese board are? Never heard of them.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You know those big party-sized bags of frozen chicken wings? I would bake the whole bag, and snarf the whole thing down by myself...smothered in Sweet Baby Ray's.

With a salad.

But no carb-loaded side dish, because I didn't want to be a glutton :huh:

Of course, I was home alone because I couldn't let anyone see me eat that.
    Too funny! I love the salad, that made it nutricious.

It did, too! I can justify damn near anything with a salad, lol.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I used to eat this all the time after work or while on my lunch break.

American Deli Mild Wings & Fries

Calories - 1,113
    Fat - 66g
    Saturated Fat - 16g
    Cholesterol - 220mg
    Sodium - 1,166mg
    Carbohydrates - 120g

Yuck!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    OMG I can't believe some of the responses, lol.

The worst for me was when I was living with my boyfriend we'd order a large 14" (or maybe 16") pizza from this local place. Mind you, I'm 5'2" and about 140 at the time and he's 6'3" and 260 we'd split the pizza. We did this a couple times a week for about 6 months. :(
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Up until this April, when I started on this journey
    I woudl grab the following probably 2-3 days a week:

I would get a medium chocolate/marshmellow shake
    chicken salad with TWO dressings
    or Chicken strips with fries.

I cant imaging doing this now. It makes me sick thinking about the abuse I did.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Treece68: A place near me serves the same sandwhich called a "Fat B**tard" I had the nerve to get it AND get the 12" option as opposed to the 6". It has the word FAT in it's title! Hellooo! LOL
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    3 donuts for breakfast at 350 calories each = 1050 calories

This, only sometimes I would eat 6. :embarassed:
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Wow, is it wrong that some of these meal posts make me hungry?

I've been pretty cautious calorie wise for a while as far as mcd's goes, but like someone else, a chinese, or even a curry take away is what would pile it on. No doubt 2000+ calories on a take out. Not to mention a bottle of wine or 2, 700 calories each.
    That's not to say I won't do it again, but not twice monthly or more like we were.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    This is what I used to get from Mcdonald's everytime I went there... (and I used to go there everyday when I was a teen)

Big Mac
    Large fry
    Large pepsi

Calories 1350
    Cholesterol 75mg (25%)
    Protein 31g
    Calories from Fat 480
    Sodium 1460mg (61%)
    Vitamin A 260IU (6%)
    Total Fat 54g (83%)
    Total Carbs 192g (64%)
    Vitamin C 12mg (20%)
    Saturated Fat 14g (68%) Dietary Fiber 10g (39%) Calcium 290mg (30%)
    Trans Fat 1.5g Sugars 93g Iron 6mg (30%)

YIKES. No wonder why I've always had a problem with my weight.
  • sher80bear
    sher80bear Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The best thing I ever did was move to a place with only 2 fast food joints and no chain restaurants. It gets embarrasing when you visit the same fast food place every day in a small town. The local restaurants are OK but not that great. I was forced to start cooking for myself. Of course I still have a hard time saying no to the chips and the Ben and Jerry's. Unfortunately, recovering from back surgery and living alone while doing it has made home cooking a little difficult but I am finally starting to recover and get dieting on track again.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options

One- I think a lot of you might be american as I've never heard of half the things you're eating (I *really* don't want to know what a sausage biscuit is- sounds awful!)

Two- I've never been a big fast food eater myself- I love good, well made home cooked food- just too much of it!

Three- I'm surprised by how LOW some of these calorie counts are coming out, especially the McDonalds stuff- I thought it was much higher!

Anyway, to add my tuppenceworth, I could easily consume cheese for every meal and every part of every meal-i.e
    -baked camenbert for starter
    -fish pie with cheese mash top
    -cheeseboard for dessert.... yumyumyum

But caloriewise- it's awful! I do have to slightly avoid cheese now....

A "biscuit" in the U.S. is not the same as a "biscuit" in other parts of the world (particularly England). A biscuit here is a type of bread similar to a roll. What you think of as a biscuit is what we would call a cookie, which is a sweet treat (wouldn't consider it a pastry, but it is considered a dessert) and would be absolutely dreadful with sausage.

Like you, I definitely prefer good, homemade food to fast food. However, we Americans often eat it more for the sake of convenience than anything else. It's much easier and faster to stop at the drive thru and pick something up for dinner than it is to go home and go to the trouble of preparing something ourselves then having to clean up afterwards.

Can you describe what baked camenbert, fish pie/cheese mash, and cheese board are? Never heard of them.

Baked camembert is so yummy! It's a whole soft French cheese like Brie baked in the oven and then you dip bread or slices of apple into it. Sometimes they put cloves of garlic or herbs in it before baking, nom nom.

Fish pie is usually mixed fish like cod, salmon, prawns and in a creamy white sauces topped with mash potato and baked in the oven. I don't eat fish so it's not a favourite of mine!

And a cheese board is just lots of different cheeses like cheddar, Stilton, Brie etc to eat with crackers and usually grapes. It's often a choice in the uk instead of a sweet dessert.

Personally my problem wasn't fast food as such but we have a deli type sandwich shop opposite my work and I used to get a big sub roll with butter, cheddar cheese, coleslaw and salad plus a bag of crisps and a bottle of lemon fanta for lunch which was probably a good 1600 calories! Eeeek.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    KFC....It's so bad but soooo good!! Haha

I would have a wicked zinger tower burger meal (tower burger, 2 hot wings, beans, and fries) then I'd stop at mcDonalds for a McFlurry afterwards!! I'm guessing around 1500cals for the KFC and 400for the ice-cream...yea MFP soon put a stop to that one!!

The Zinger Tower Burger Meal! Oh god, why...WHY WHY WHY?

I can still reel off the drive-thru instructions in my sleep.

'Yeah I'll have a Zinger Tower Burger meal, upsized to large, extra seasoning on the fries, pepsi for the drink, and can I have a chocolate mousse as well please'

Contented myself in the knowledge that because I didn't have potato & gravy or dipping sauce, it wasn't QUITE as bad.

In perspective...even my longest EVER run, which was 20km and around 1800 calories burned, would STILL not have burnt through all the calories. I think I'd probably have to do a half marathon to work up that number of calories.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Sounds like biscuit is what Australia / NZ call 'english muffins'

Baked Camembert - a miniature Camembert round cheese, usually covered in breadcrumbs, and either baked or deep-fried. The cheese goes all gooey and melty.

Fish pie with cheese mash - delicately flavoured white-flesh fish, often smoked (brings a different flavour to the experience), white cheesy sauce, mixed vegetables, all baked in a ceramic oven dish with a crispy top usually made from breadcrumbs and cheese OR mashed potato in cheese. It sounds awful, but it's pretty tasty.

Cheese board - usually in place of a dessert, a cheese board is a selection of cheeses, usually presented on a cutting board (just like a chopping board, really). Commonly you'd have a blue cheese, a couple of softs (ie camembert or brie), a couple of hards (leicester, cheddar), and a specialty cheese (like goat's milk feta). Usually also has very sweet, tart pastes (like quince paste / quince jelly), raisins and other dried fruits, dried nuts, light crackers, served with a dessert wine. It's...intense, and very conducive to overconsumption.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Those frappes at McD's. What the hell was I thinking?
  • blpasquarella
    blpasquarella Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just thinking about ANYTHING from McDonald's makes me nauseous now. I used to eat a McChicken or a 10 piece chicken nugget and a medium fry at least once a week. It was my FAVORITE. Heard a rumor that they put out a statement admitting that the way their fries are prepared may lead to cancer (not sure if it's true or not) and I dropped it like it was hot! Haven't eaten McDonald's in a year and I'm definitely not looking back. The only fast food I have eaten since is the fresco menu from Taco Bell, but even that was probably 5 or 6 months ago and believe me, I'm not trying to eat it in the future.

I have a friend that eats McDonald's 2-3 times a week. She can't weigh more than 125 lbs, but her insides probably aren't too pretty. :/
  • skatardrummer
    skatardrummer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I ate one of those mini cakes by myself once in one sitting. I would quite literally vomit if I tried to do that now O.o those things are like, 3 pieces of cake. SO much sugar. I ate 5/8 of a large pizza once. I've never been able to eat a whole one before, but that's still a whole lot of calories. I also ate a 20 piece nugget before O.o I couldn't eat anything with it, but that was like, 800 calories just by itself