NEED TO LOSE 100 LBS OR MORE !

Options

Replies

• vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wednesday wish... RAIN please... it's so hot.....
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This thread is really motivating to me. So many of you have made huge strides towards your weight loss and that is amazing. I only wish it was as quick and easy for me to get skinny as it was to get fat :smile:
  • Sassy9411
    Sassy9411 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm completely new here. I suppose my Wednesday wish is that my 100lbs didn't seem so daunting of a task. I have to switch my mindset because I picture it as how much weight I still HAVE to lose, rather then how much I've improved. It's just hard. I'm just worried my motivation will start to slack! Anyway, happy Wednesday all! :drinker:
  • jbrady13
    Options
    Hi, My name is J
    I am a registered nurse, and feel like a hypocrite talking to people about diabetes diets and healthy choices. I have been a nurse for 4 years, and I am bigger than I have ever been in my life. i am grateful for the fact that I have no major health issues, however, I turned 50 in February, and I know that they are coming. I do not have a picture, and I would not know how to put it on here anyway, because i am computer illiterate. My goal is 40 pounds lost by Christmas, and I think that it is attainable. I just found this site, and I really need to figure out how to get the calorie counter up, so that I can start that way. Please forward directions. AAARGH!!!
    I agree with the water idea, but I am no good at that either. I would sooner have a fully leaded pepsi
  • AuntieVaVa
    Options
    Well, I am also completely new to myfitnesspal - came to the website after reading about someone's 137 pound weight loss in Woman's World magazine.

I not only have 100 pounds or more to lose, I have 200+ pounds to lose (211 pounds to go, to be exact). (Is there another thread for people with 200 or more pounds to lose?)

So far, it's only been three days, but I'm doing okay. I have logged every morsel I have put into my mouth since Monday morning, and that includes my vitamins and a piece of sugar free Mento's gum I had today. I actually walked for 10 minutes tonight around my cul-de-sac, and that's more than I've walked in four years. My hips hurt and I got sweaty and tired. Geez, I have a long way to go.

The hardest part for me thus far is realizing I am done eating for the day when I am out of calories. That's it - no opening a bag of anything, no searching the refrigerator, no microwaving something. This is my biggest challenge. I am tempted to go to bed right after dinner to avoid the risk of eating again.

Keeping with the theme, today is Wednesday, so my wish is for a new job - same employer, just different department and job duties.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate on this message board (I'm new to all of this, so if I screw up on the rules or etiquette, please gently advise me so I don't repeat my mistakes....thanks.) But, would it be possible to hear from some of you out there who have started at 400 pounds or more to tell me what positive thing you've realized, or noticed, or been able to do again, since you've lost weight? Many thanks!
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @datenshi--glad you made it back and sorry for your loss. :flowerforyou:

@bella--hope your mother's surgery goes well, and I'm sorry that you can't count on your brother to help you out.

@mymowmow--congrats on having less than 100 lbs to lose--now please leave the thread. JK! LOL! Of course you get to stay!! Did it work? Was I deadpan enough? Did you believe me for just a split second? :laugh:

@robin & tina--we've also finally gotten some rain as well, but I fear it's too little too late for the crops here as well. I heard on the news a couple of weeks ago that the county where I live (Lake County) was the most rain-deprived in IL. Even when Chicago and downstate got some brief storms earlier in the summer, they always missed us. Glad that the temps here are finally dropping as well. :happy:

Ok--so I just got sidetracked by a half hour phone call from my MIL--have I mentioned that she's needy? :wink: Now I've forgotten all of the other responses I wanted to make, and I'm just too tired to go back through the thread again. Congrats to those of you having victories, hugs to those of you in need of support, and welcome to all of the newlings!

Wednesday Wish:
    I was reading a news article on FB and a line from it stood out "develop a backbone, not a wishbone." I really like that and it's fitting for me. I keep hoping and wishing for my nutrition to improve, but then when someone says "Taco Bell?" or "chili-cheese dip?" I cave in and say "sure." So my "wish" is to develop a backbone and become much stricter with my food choices!

Still haven't gotten to the store :noway: , but I'm posting my grocery list here--feel free to make suggestions!

boneless/skinless chicken breast
    canned tuna (for protein "emergencies"--thanks Robin!)
    mission carb-balance tortillas
    nectarines
    strawberries
    sweet potatoes
    american cheese
    almonds
    popsmart 100 calorie kettle corn
    tilapia or swai filets
    sliced turkey breast
    sabra hummus
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Still haven't gotten to the store :noway: , but I'm posting my grocery list here--feel free to make suggestions!

boneless/skinless chicken breast
    canned tuna (for protein "emergencies"--thanks Robin!)
    mission carb-balance tortillas
    nectarines
    strawberries
    sweet potatoes
    american cheese
    almonds
    popsmart 100 calorie kettle corn
    tilapia or swai filets
    sliced turkey breast
    sabra hummus

Sounds like my grocery list. I would add:
    Eggs (I am sick of them but try to keep some around)
    Fresh Spinach
    Avocado/guacamole
    Greek yogurt
    Cucumbers
    Tomatoes
    Apples
    Steel cut oatmeal
    Cottage cheese
    Laughing Cow cheese
    Olive oil
    Balsamic vinegar

You may have some of these items and hate others and some of them are not low carb but that's what I'd get. :smile:
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you guys but sometimes i feel like all I do is talk about my weight loss and journey and focus on every piece of food I put in my mouth. And sometimes I feel like maybe people take me the wrong way and think I'm trying to get them to live the way I do or whatever. But my Dad gave me this line today it was great:::::

"I'm sorry if your mistaking my enthusiasm for pressure"

I just love it!

Sorry just had to share.

I love this line. It is amazing how focused we get on making the right choices and the foods we eat. I realized that this past week when I started going out with this guy. I was very concerned about what I ate instead of just enjoying the time we spent together. It is important that we are aware of what we eat but we also need to be confident in our choices so we can enjoy life. It's funny, I have eluded to the fact that I have lost weight but have yet to tell him how much- nor has he asked. He is larger than I am but is working on getting healthy again.

Bella- Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you and your mother. Hope the surgery goes well and she is back on her feet soon.

AndreaB- Welcome back and hope you enjoy your vacation.

@datenshi - Sorry for you lost. Sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

I am amazed at how fast this thread has moved since it started. I have been very busy the last few days and have not had the time to catch up with the forum.

Monday- Check in I did okay over the past week but I found that was easy to blow the diet when going out with a friend. I meet a guy last Tuesday night and we went out a couple of times over the weekend. Hopefully, we are going out to lunch tomorrow but not sure yet. I did see him last night and he mentioned it but he was taking his niece to the beach today. I must say it has been nice having a guy to go out with this past weekend. So my Wednesday wish is that this relationship will last for a while.

Tuesday goal- To stay motivated to exercise and workout
  • christine5791
    christine5791 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, Wednesday wish, was wanting my final exam to go well... and I am pretty sure it did! :o):drinker:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Eggs (I am sick of them but try to keep some around)--have them
    Fresh Spinach--have it
    Avocado/guacamole--have them
    Greek yogurt--can't stand
    Cucumbers--have them
    Tomatoes--have them
    Apples--meh, more of a "winter" fruit for me
    Steel cut oatmeal--never tried them--again, sounds like a cold-weather food
    Cottage cheese--adding!! :smile:
    Laughing Cow cheese--have some
    Olive oil--have some
    Balsamic vinegar--have some

You may have some of these items and hate others and some of them are not low carb but that's what I'd get. :smile:

haha--I just had to confirm how alike our tastes are :wink:
    thanks for the reminder about cottage cheese!!

Not sure why I don't like the Greek yogurt--something about the texture is "off" for my palate.
    I've heard a lot about the steel cut oats and think I will try bigaug's crock pot recipe for them once the cool weather sets in.
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So, I talked to a few of my coworkers today and we are all signing up for the 5K fun run/walk on Sept 22! So excited! My goal is 45 minutues! That sounds perfectly reasonable to me at this point!

I also just got an iPad at work today! Not really weight related, but am darn excited about it! Hopefully I can force myself away from the app store and iTunes store long enough to get some sleep for surgery tomorrow!

Oh and I just pre-ordered Mumford and Sons new album! So can't wait for Sept 24 now!!!!
  • nicholsvj
    Options
    Eggs (I am sick of them but try to keep some around)--have them
    Fresh Spinach--have it
    Avocado/guacamole--have them
    Greek yogurt--can't stand
    Cucumbers--have them
    Tomatoes--have them
    Apples--meh, more of a "winter" fruit for me
    Steel cut oatmeal--never tried them--again, sounds like a cold-weather food
    Cottage cheese--adding!! :smile:
    Laughing Cow cheese--have some
    Olive oil--have some
    Balsamic vinegar--have some

haha--I just had to confirm how alike our tastes are :wink:
    thanks for the reminder about cottage cheese!!

Not sure why I don't like the Greek yogurt--something about the texture is "off" for my palate.
    I've heard a lot about the steel cut oats and think I will try bigaug's crock pot recipe for them once the cool weather sets in.

Steel Cut Oatmeal is amazing! LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Only thing I don't like is how long it takes to cook. But a great little trick is you can use small mason jars to premake your breakfast. Then you can finish it off with the microwave. Or you can eat it cold. I found a recipe called Almond Joy Oats. You use almond milk and almond flour, toasted coconut flakes, almond slivers and cocoa nibs. Mix all the night before, enjoy the next morning. Was pretty good. Here is the link to the recipe. You don't really need to add all the extra stuff, and I have no idea what the calorie count is for the final product (mine wasn't as listed due to not having all the ingredients on hand). http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/2012/04/almond-joy-oats/
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options

He showed us the paperwork and the nurse had written her name down as Gilligan Anderson :laugh: We were like, yeah, these are our other two children, Skipper and Maryanne.

Hahahaha! (Though I would have gone with the name "Professor" rather than "Skipper", so "Skipper" wouldn't feel obliged to pick on Gilligan..)

Also.... I pronounced Geoffrey Chaucer's name with a hard g (and a long e and long o....) for years. Trying to read Chaucer when I couldn't even pronounce his name was ambitious to say the least... :tongue: It seems so obvious now...

hmm, true. we don't want to inspire more sibling rivalry than necessary. it seems weird to me how confused american are about the whole soft G business. but i know that 90% of people don't seem to realize. chaucer is pretty tough even if you can pronounce his name, though lol
    Hmm, Wed. wishes - I think my wish is to arrive at a time in my life when food doesn't dominate my thoughts. When I naturally make healthy choices without feeling like it is a struggle or that I am being deprived. And when my body feels like mine again and I recognize that person in the mirror.

when i hit around four or five months on MFP i started kind of hating the fact i was constantly thinking about eating. like what i was eating, what i could and couldn't eat. it was really annoying. but at almost a year i have pretty much slid into the groove and am working largely on instinct. so the point does come that it becomes less all consuming. though i do still think about it every day, it just doesn't bother me anymore. maybe it just comes a time when you don't notice anymore that you're always considering what you eat.
    Do I get to stay?

It's official today, I no longer have 100 lbs to lose. I'm 99lbs from my final goal. :love::smooched:

woot! of course you do. i was SOOO thrilled when i hit that day. i only have about 90 left now and i plan to be here the whole way.
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    @MyMOwMOw - I *only* have 94 lbs to lose now and they haven't thrown me out yet! :wink:

@Nicholsvj - I hate that steel cut oats take so long to cook. I also hate when they boil over on my stove. :grumble:

@skinnyjeanz - I'd also add peanut butter but I'm trying to decrease my intake. Almonds are better for you anyway. Also had some Chobani vanilla yogurt this morning and it didn't taste very vanilla at all. So I'm not a fan of that flavor. So many flavors are loaded with carbs/sugar. :ohwell:
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    @AuntieVaVa: just wanted to touch base and let you know you aren't alone. I have over 200 lbs to lose. I gained over 100 pounds in the last couple years because of some out of control health things. I also just started walking yesterday and was determined to go for 15 min but by 10 the pain in my back had me walking like a cripple. So I will now do just ten and feel good about doing that and for the first time not think about what everyone around me can do. We all have a long road ahead but I know we can do it.

I was so tired after babysitting all day I still have around 800 calories to eat since I just had a can of soup for dinner. Not sure what I am going to do but dont want to have "junk" food as I am trying to avoid that altogether for at leat 2 weeks to help give my taste buds a chance to change.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Also.... I pronounced Geoffrey Chaucer's name with a hard g (and a long e and long o....) for years. Trying to read Chaucer when I couldn't even pronounce his name was ambitious to say the least... :tongue: It seems so obvious now...

hmm, true. we don't want to inspire more sibling rivalry than necessary. it seems weird to me how confused american are about the whole soft G business. but i know that 90% of people don't seem to realize. chaucer is pretty tough even if you can pronounce his name, though lol

hmm.. as an English teacher and self-proclaimed linguistics nerd I find this conversation intriguing. I would absolutely pronounce Gillian w/ the soft g b/c the rule is if a c or g is followed by e, i, or y, then it's soft. But even before I studied English, I knew this and would venture to guess that most people I know would pronounce it correctly as well. I mean, I've never noticed people making those types of mistakes (and trust me, I WOULD notice if it were common).

I was tempted to suggest that maybe it's a regional thing, but then Helen went and screwed up my theory (:tongue: ) since she's also from Chicago.

The new theory rolling around in my head is that maybe knowledge of that pronunciation comes with the number of generations of English speakers in the family...

@tungsten--I NEVER run out of peanut butter!! :laugh:
  • nicholsvj
    Options
    @MyMOwMOw - I *only* have 94 lbs to lose now and they haven't thrown me out yet! :wink:

@Nicholsvj - I hate that steel cut oats take so long to cook. I also hate when they boil over on my stove. :grumble:

@skinnyjeanz - I'd also add peanut butter but I'm trying to decrease my intake. Almonds are better for you anyway. Also had some Chobani vanilla yogurt this morning and it didn't taste very vanilla at all. So I'm not a fan of that flavor. So many flavors are loaded with carbs/sugar. :ohwell:

sounds like my favorite breakfast! Oats with bananas, PB and some plain greek yogurt. I find the sugar in the PB is plenty for the yogurt. You can also use agave syrup or honey. Good stuff! Oh, now I really hope I get up early enough tomorrow to make some for breakfast!
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello it is. 9:36 here I have a goal to be in bed by 10. But getting a late Start. Just finish reading all the post I am caught up I think.
    @Auntie VaVa welcome
    @MyMOwMOw. Congratulations!
    @Bella hope all is going well for you and your mom.
    @monarchris I have been praying for rain here too. We are having lots of forest fires out here with the heat dust and fires makes for poor quality
    Rain would sure help. . I hope you get your rain.
    @Robin I hope your appliances stop breaking.
    @Lin I hope today something positive happen today.

My Wednesday wish is for rain and a cool down.
    T
    Wow its 9:56. Close but before 10. :-)
    Take care
    Liz