Replies

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill hot cereals are great.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    If you can find an aldi I am always surprised at some of their selection. Nice produce and fage greek yogurt (my favorite - add fruit and some stevia and it's the best in terms of sugars etc). Its super cheap too (not sure you have them in the UK).

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are excellent as well. Most any grocer will have a health food section - a good place to start.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the fruit will be incredible. You can't get much fresher in Florida then Florida fruit.

We were in the US in April and I found a yoplait greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom. Holy HELL! it was good. I can't get it here, and I've been dreaming about it since. It's a convenient alternative while travelling.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind artifical sweeteners, both Propel and Crystal Light make individual packs premeasured to add to a 20 ounce bottle of water. I use them sparingly because of the bad press artifical sweeteners get, but they definitely pack a good flavor! I like the Crystal Light lemonade and the berry Propel.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Chik-fil-A
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    jimmy-dean-pancake-sausage-chocolate-chip-736804.0.jpg

Who on earth comes up with these things!
  • jgarf4me
    jgarf4me Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i live in south florida right outside of fort lauderdale. Whole foods is the healthy stores and some of the whole foods(boca raton) will cook foods for you and they have prepared foods. also, there is a place called josephs in palm beach and boca that has ready made dinners healthy and good. Otherwise stock up on sweet potatoes and get some healthy nuts.
    Also florida has an abundance of farmers markets that you can buy stuff and lots of places you can go to barbeque since its always warm. Dont barbeque between 5-6 because that usually rain shower time
    Where in florida are you going?
    Jeff
  • jgarf4me
    jgarf4me Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i live in south florida right outside of fort lauderdale. Whole foods is the healthy stores and some of the whole foods(boca raton) will cook foods for you and they have prepared foods. also, there is a place called josephs in palm beach and boca that has ready made dinners healthy and good. Otherwise stock up on sweet potatoes and get some healthy nuts.
    Also florida has an abundance of farmers markets that you can buy stuff and lots of places you can go to barbeque since its always warm. Dont barbeque between 5-6 because that usually rain shower time
    Where in florida are you going?
    Jeff
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    jimmy-dean-pancake-sausage-chocolate-chip-736804.0.jpg

Who on earth comes up with these things!

U.S.A! U.S.A!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I live in South Carolina, but we have Publix. In fact, it's where I do the bulk of my grocery shopping, since it's practically a stone's throw from my house! (I promise I don't work for the company or anything, but I love the store - customer service is wonderful there!)

Anyhow, Publix is your typical American supermarket, but it is one of the nicer ones, in my opinion. They have a good natural/organic foods section (usually opposite all the yogurt and such), and my Publix carries a great selection of Greek yogurt. I recommend Fage (my favorite), Chobani (a close second), Stonyfield Oikos (which is the organic version - Dannon Oikos is the non-organic version), and Liberte (accent aigu on the last e - MFP does not recognize accents for me). Publix also carries all the Kashi cereals and oatmeals (dry cereals are usually opposite the oatmeals, so the Kashi dry cereal and Kashi oatmeal will be in different places). If you are into eating oats, Quaker is the go-to brand for most people, but I find that the Publix oats (generic) are just as good and usually end up cheaper, unless Quaker happens to be on sale.

They've got plenty of drinks, but since you are tired of fizzy drinks and want diluted juice-like stuff, I recommend the Mio, which Publix sells in lots of flavors. It's a little squeeze bottle-type thing that fits easily in a purse, and you add as much or as little to your water as you want. It is made with artificial sweeteners, though, so if you're trying to avoid those, then I suggest just buying fresh produce (berries and peaches are definitely in season here) and adding them to your plain water.

Whole Foods is also a good store if you can find one, but they specialize in organics/natural foods (they don't sell anything that's not). As such, it is generally more expensive, so if you're ok with eating "regular" stuff, then Publix is your place.

Oh, and Publix's "buy one get one free" promotions basically mean half-price. You don't have to buy two to get the deal :smile: Not all stores do that, so it's good to keep in mind if you're only in town for so long.

Have fun in Florida, and welcome to the States!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    A Luther Burger, or doughnut burger (among several naming variations), is a hamburger or cheeseburger with one or more glazed doughnuts in place of the bun. These sandwiches have a disputed origin, and tend to run between approximately 800 and 1,500 calories (3,300 and 6,300 kJ).

Hot Damn! That looks drool-icious. I'll take mine with bacon :)
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Publix will have everything you need! I actually miss it now that I'm back up north. If it has a "Greenwise" section, even better since that'll be more organic stuff, etc.

Breakstones makes these cottage cheese + fruit "pots" (you'd call them) which would be easy to eat on the go. Maybe bring some plastic cutlery with you so you don't have to attempt to eat everything with your hands.

Enjoy Florida! Eat some mangos!!
  • nat1cat
    nat1cat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm the devil for saying this, but the best junk food is Flamin' Hot Cheetos. I live in Germany, and made my mom bring me some recently. Yum!
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    You said you'd be eating breakfast in your hotel so I recommend Total Raisin Bran cereal and Silk Pure Almondmilk. Makes for a yummy breakfast that isn't calorie packed and it keeps me up quite well. Enjoy your trip! I'll be down that way in another month :bigsmile:
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Publix is great, you will love it. They have great fruit & veggies and plenty of healthy options. Enjoy!
  • Stevensno
    Options
    I've not long got back from a couple of weeks in MA,and the one thing that got me through the red hot days and humidity was Diet Snapple, for me it was the next best thing to water.Snapple ( as far as I'm aware) is not available here in the Uk ...but it bloody should be !
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Oh, and Publix's "buy one get one free" promotions basically mean half-price. You don't have to buy two to get the deal :smile: Not all stores do that, so it's good to keep in mind if you're only in town for so long.

Have fun in Florida, and welcome to the States!

Alas, in Florida Publix maintains different rules for coupons and Buy One Get One, and you DO have to buy two of the item. But they don't have to be the exact same flavor or variety; for example, if Barilla pasta is on BOGO, you can buy one box of fusilli and get a box of penne free.

UK visitors will recognize a lot of familiar brands for things like cereal. I second the recommendation for Silk soymilk or almondmilk.

Oh, and make sure to try some Thomas' English Muffins! They're called "English," but they're really quite American. They're somewhat like a crumpet but much tastier, especially toasted with butter. I like the Triple Health version, which is high-fiber and only 100 calories for a whole muffin.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    South Florida is very big on seafood. I recommend eating at any of the local seafood restaurants, particularly the shellfish based cuisine. Avoid the national chains like Red Lobster. Other things to eat:

Key Lime Pie (my favorite dessert food)
    Alligator meat (some local restaurants carry it)
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    lutherburger.jpg

Luther burger.

OMG!! That looks disgusting! A burger on a doughnut?!?! You've had one of these before? Are they good?
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    lutherburger.jpg

Luther burger.

Gross!!! Are those the burgers between two donuts! Disgusting..lol!!