How many people know you're doing this?

Options

Replies

• cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    just my fiance. that's it. i'm in the total same boat as over half the people here: i just don't want to hear any stupid comments from friends and some family--especially because i'm doing high fat, low carb. i know i'm going to get the "omg, you're going to have a heart attack! awihfaoeiwufrwiovfowe~!!!!" but that's all hogwash IMO :P

i've had a couple of people at work notice my weight loss and i just tell them it's low carb. but i don't let my mom in all at once because she thinks red meat and saturated animal fat is the devil (the devil in the way it's unhealthy and "stays in your gut" not the vegan ethical way lol). she's a total dr. oz idolizer and lord knows if he says something doesn't cause heart disease, the AHA will cut him off. anyway i'm seeing her in the a couple of days and i'm trying to figure out the best way to let her know without her going berzerk on me because my weight loss is obvious and she's going to see what's in my pantry and fridge.

T_T good luck to me!
  • Asavitzk
    Asavitzk Posts: 66
    Options
    I don't keep any of it a secret. Many of my friends are on here now because of me. Once that happened I opened up my food diary so I can be watched by my peers and called out if I screw up - it helps keep me accountable.

Usually a conversation with a coworker or friend starts off with "you're looking great these days - how are you doing it?" and my generic response is "diet and exercise". If they want more details then I go into my MFP and gym routines.

The only way keeping it a secret would help me is if I planned to fail.
  • Cathy_Daydreams
    Options
    Morning all,

I was just wondering how many people you have told about this site, that you're trying to lose weight, etc?

I have only told my husband that I'm actually calorie counting and a friend who is on here already and recommended the site to me. I mentioned in passing to my Mum that I'm eating healthily at the moment ready for the IVF, but not that I'm trying to lose a bit of weight.

I don't want to tell people this time round for several reasons:

1) If I have the odd bit of chocolate, or a biscuit or something, I don't want people saying 'I thought you were on a diet'!
    2) It's not a diet, this is now my new way of life - eating healthily and treating my body the way it should be treated.
    3) I am losing weight at a nice and slow pace and am focusing on being healthy, rather than losing weight quickly.

What are your thoughts? :)

I totally agree.
    I've told my parents and a few friends that I trust. I'm also trying to overcome BED which all my friends and even my family have insisted is just a lack of self control and that I shouldn't be asking for help for it, which you can imagine makes things difficult. That and some of my friends will wave chocolate in my face every time I pass within a day of me saying the words 'losing weight'
  • awillkies
    awillkies Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    only one: my husband. he also is watching his diet: eating healthier & he works out every other day (for 20 years!) so i know we support each other & it's easier quite frankly when your partner is on board.

i have learnt the hard way not to talk about it w/ anyone (social media, friends, family). way too critical. and they always tell me how "small" i am already. why your friends & family won't & don't support you when you are trying to get healthy & strong? my take is that it is a huge reflective mirror ... & they don't want to see it.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I moved away from friends and family so I don't see them often. The next time I will see the majority of my friends and family is this coming Christmas. I have not posted any new pictures of myself on Facebook so people have not seen the changes in my body. I am doing this for a reason. I can't wait for them to see my progress. I am not keeping it from anyone though. I tell whoever will listen to me. When they ask I tell them all about MFP and P90X. Some are interested and some think counting calories is too much work. P90X scares the *kitten* out of most :laugh:

:heart: If my talking about MFP and P90x changes one person's life then it is worth it to me. I am just paying it forward :heart:
  • kashmyre
    kashmyre Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I didn't at first. Once I got to the 20lb lost mark and people started noticing I started getting the standard questions. I was a little shy about talking about it at first, but it got easier to talk about the more people asked. I am proud of my accomplishments.

Now, I will absolutely tell anyone who wants to know about my "journey" everything they want to know. I will tell them the dirty details about what I used to weigh, what I weigh now, how the site works, my philosophy regarding my diet, exercise program and answer every question. I have hipped family members, friends, co-workers, acquaintances, my dentist, the lady who did the alterations on my maid of honor dress to this site. I figure if I can help just one person become a little happier with themselves then I owe it to them to help.

This site has so changed my life that I can't help but shout about it from the mountain top. Honestly, it's been the easiest thing I've ever done and I've struggled with my weight my whole life.

Good luck to anyone just starting, in the middle, or getting to the end of your personal "journey". :drinker:
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Many people I see ask how I am getting in shape. I've learned to not really get into it. They all just cut me off part way through and tell me about whatever fad diet they are on, take a bite of their pizza, and walk away fat.
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Everyone I work with knows..mostly because the 30 of us are doing the weight loss thing together. Some of them have joined this site and also use the app on their phones.

So, we all are trying to keep each other in cheack atwork. I make lunch for everyone once a week...and we walk together at lunch time...it is a team effort.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    ALL of them.

It's hard to hide :bigsmile:

But in the beginning, I also kept it to myself. For the same reasons.

Once I realized I wasn't going to fail, I told the whole world.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Everyone. I'm a former gym rat who even did a figure competition in 2004, so many people know I have a health and fitness hobby. Maybe I should make it my job...:flowerforyou:
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat as you!! Not to mention, I have tried and failed so many times to lose weight, that if I tell everyone about this, and then fail again, I will just let everyone down again. I'm going to wait until someone actually asks me, "Have you lost weight?" :)
  • Kryssaxo
    Kryssaxo Posts: 54
    Options
    My boyfriend and my best friend. I would tell more people but they wouldn't get it since most of my friends are naturally skinny and probably don't even know what a calorie is. I do inform people that I'm watching what I eat though so that I can be held accountable.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    When I first joined I was telling lots of people. I still bring up the site in conversation but most seem bored or disinterested so I like to just let them know about it for maybe a time when they want to get help. My sister is here now and I am thrilled!! She is so much happier with her new lifestyle but hasn't lost but one pound. She is still ecstatic about it because her and I are doing it together even though we don't live in the same town.

People do stereotype though so yes, I don't say a lot about what I am doing because they just, don't get it. You can't get it unless you experience it yourself;) The best thing is when they do start noticing the change in our bodies, as well as our attitudes:wink:
    Morning all,

I was just wondering how many people you have told about this site, that you're trying to lose weight, etc?

I have only told my husband that I'm actually calorie counting and a friend who is on here already and recommended the site to me. I mentioned in passing to my Mum that I'm eating healthily at the moment ready for the IVF, but not that I'm trying to lose a bit of weight.

I don't want to tell people this time round for several reasons:

1) If I have the odd bit of chocolate, or a biscuit or something, I don't want people saying 'I thought you were on a diet'!
    2) It's not a diet, this is now my new way of life - eating healthily and treating my body the way it should be treated.
    3) I am losing weight at a nice and slow pace and am focusing on being healthy, rather than losing weight quickly.

What are your thoughts? :)
  • healthychanges1
    Options
    I don't like talking about dieting and weight loss with people who don't understand.

Exactly. No one knows I'm on here.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I told a few people the first weeks and then by month 2, everyone. I think this place is amazing and I felt I should share it . Plus a lot of people asked me how I lost all the weight.
  • BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My husband and my best friend are the only two people who know I'm on here. I told my friend about it because she is trying to lose baby weight, and I thought this might be a good resource for her.

The rest of my family and friends don't really need to know because I don't really want to hear their comments, which will range from, "but WHHHYYYYYYY? You're already skinny!" (no, I'm not) to, "um, you know you'd lose weight if you gave up pizza/beer/red meat/chocolate/other wonderful things."
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    How many people know I spend my days flirting with women from all over the world under the pretense of losing weight

No one

Oh wait
    this was funny :laugh:
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    No one except for my husband and a family member that also uses MFP.
    I feel like I am not taken seriously by anyone else because the only person that sees the effort im putting in to this is my husband.
    And weight loss is personal for me! Ive always been the chunky girl.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    not many people know I'm on this site... mostly because I'm tired of everyone *****ing me out for counting my calories... You're so thin already, you don't need to watch what you eat! Geeze don't you exercise enough already? You keep building muscles, you're going to look like a man... blah blah blah.

I love my MFP peeps - they're the ones who get that I need to keep getting better! (not thinner)

My family = gets facebook... I get MFP. :-D
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I wont tell anyone, especially my sisters, they'll tease me of course, since im the big eater in the family, i usually cleaned up all the food, a year ago i tried to eat less so i could lose weight, but they noticed that and kinda said like "of course she's eating less, shes on a diet right now" and then laugh at me, after that i kept on eating whtevr i want, then i felt like i hve to change and eat healthier

i know that feeling for sure, i hated exercising, cuz my sister would say "psshh like that would help" sigh, BUT we are better now, she knows and im great <3