Jump rope burns more calories than any other exercise

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I've just had a thought about what burns more fat than skipping ropes... Kettlebell Skipping Rope HIIT Complexes! *trots off to make a best-selling DVD* Watch out for KSRHIITC90X!
  • morningstarluv
    Options
    bump
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    What about running while skipping? We used to do this at school in the playground, how many calories would that burn?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    My new speed rope rocks... Been able to string double unders together finally. Just hurts like hell when I miss and whip myself.
    Averaging at about 30 strung together and I'm out of breath by the end of it. I make a game of it - try to beat my last score before tripping myself up. Maxed at 49 - bummed I didn't hit 50. But that's my new goal. Haven't beat it yet.

WHAT!?!?!? 49 du in a row? You're totally my new hero! I've been trying to string together 40 in a row for my 40th bday but have only gotten to 16 before I catch on the front of the rope. 49 is awesome. There's a YouTube video of a girl stringing like 200 plus that's totally Crazyville. I'll see if I can find it.

I just bought knee high socks for my jumping days. My shins have whip marks from my wire speed rope and it was starting to hurt. Now I just need something for my right elbow....
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sorry my mistake 10 mins of jump rope is equivalent to 30 mins of jogging.....
    thanks for noticing

WHAT?! Seriously? I am so ditching the treadmill tomorrow and testing this out

BEWARE- as a pretty seasoned runner, jumping is still KILLER. I made the mistake of going right to 30 mins of jumping and ended up with 3+ days of wicked calf DOMS. I can run for 2 hrs at a time (but not at a 7 min pace!), but those 30 mins left me crippled!

Bean, I'm sure you wear your HRM when you jump. You know my feeling on HRMs, but this should give us a pretty decent comparison. What does your HRM give as a burn rate for your jumping compared to your running?
    lol, in this case I actually don't wear my HRM, because jumping is too intense, probably borderline anaerobic. Like hiit, I don't think you could get a realistic reading.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    New, eh? Shows March 2010 on your profile, you might want to edit this... just saying :wink:
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I love jumping rope. I will sometimes do it between weight sets, GOOD excercise!! :-)
  • DavPul
    Options
    thanks for noticing

BEWARE- as a pretty seasoned runner, jumping is still KILLER. I made the mistake of going right to 30 mins of jumping and ended up with 3+ days of wicked calf DOMS. I can run for 2 hrs at a time (but not at a 7 min pace!), but those 30 mins left me crippled!

Bean, I'm sure you wear your HRM when you jump. You know my feeling on HRMs, but this should give us a pretty decent comparison. What does your HRM give as a burn rate for your jumping compared to your running?
    lol, in this case I actually don't wear my HRM, because jumping is too intense, probably borderline anaerobic. Like hiit, I don't think you could get a realistic reading.

BOOOOOOOO!!!! This is exactly what I want to have one for! I reject this answer Bean and ask, nay, DEMAND that you go jump for 16 mins and post your HRMs. You know, for me, who is too cheap to buy one. :tongue:
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I jump rope all the time, I do jump rope and ab circuits a lot.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Alas it requires a level of coordination not all mortal men posses.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    thanks for noticing

BOOOOOOOO!!!! This is exactly what I want to have one for! I reject this answer Bean and ask, nay, DEMAND that you go jump for 16 mins and post your HRMs. You know, for me, who is too cheap to buy one. :tongue:
    I'll wear it next time I jump for curiosity, but today's a running day- I'm not gonna jump first- even I have limits! But, based on my perceived level of effort, which I trust at least as much as my HRM, I think at least the "Rope Jumping, moderate, general" option is a reasonable calorie count for me- The "moderate, general" option is equal calorie burn to the 10-min mile running option for me, and including catching my breath between sets, like I would for logging HIIT, this makes sense to me. If I were logging HIIT, I would use the average speed- so if I were doing 1:1 intervals at 8.5 and 3.5 (I probably wouldn't do 1:1 but for the sake of this example) the average speed would be 6mph, which I would use for logging, which is equal to the moderate jumping. Perceived level of effort- the 1:1 Hiit and rope jumping feel pretty comparable to me. I think with the double-unders the "fast" option makes sense too, but I'm not there yet.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I almost bought a jump rope the other night...but didn't. What is the best kind to use? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I almost bought a jump rope the other night...but didn't. What is the best kind to use? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.
    DavPul advised me that a basic one was good for a beginner like me when I was shopping for one- I bought this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007IS6ZG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

Cheap and effective.
  • robot_monerz
    Options
    Bought a jump rope. Too scared to try it! Haha.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options

I find a heavyweight one better...Easier to keep the speed continuous...
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for a good alternative for running. When it gets cold outside (I hate running in the cold... burr) I will need another way. Looks like jump rope is that alternative. Need to get a jump rope.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Please visit healthstatus.com and look at the calories burned estimator. You can put in your weight and the exercise done and it will give you a great estimate for calories burned. I did this today and here are the results

One hour each activity:
    Jumping rope 1108 calories
    Running 5mph 933
    running 6mph 1108

That seems weird to me. I can run for over an hour at 6mph without a break, but jumping rope for 10 minutes is the absolute maximum I can manage.. and even then, I need to pause for a few seconds after 5 minutes.

My husband says I look as though I jump higher than I need to, but I just trip over the rope if I try smaller jumps.

Like any other cardio exercise, the calories burned jumping rope will depend on the intensity--you can't use one number, just like you can't use one number for running.

Even more than running, the intensities for jumping rope fall in a fairly narrow range--the intensities range from "high" to 'higher".

Also, like any other exercise, there is an adaptation period to learning the exercise. Someone who just picks up the rope and starts jumping away is likely going to struggle at first, even if their fitness level is fairly high. Over time, the response would even out so that--as long as intensities are equal--performance, HR response, calorie burn, etc, should be similar.
  • DavPul
    Options

I find a heavyweight one better...Easier to keep the speed continuous...

True, but once you get to higher speeds, the heavier ropes turn slow and wear out your shoulders. It depends on where you are with it. But ropes are cheap. Buy what you like at first and add as you develop. Your beginning rope is going to snap in half by the time you get good anyway.
  • DavPul
    Options
    thanks for noticing

I'll wear it next time I jump for curiosity, but today's a running day- I'm not gonna jump first- even I have limits! But, based on my perceived level of effort, which I trust at least as much as my HRM, I think at least the "Rope Jumping, moderate, general" option is a reasonable calorie count for me- The "moderate, general" option is equal calorie burn to the 10-min mile running option for me, and including catching my breath between sets, like I would for logging HIIT, this makes sense to me. If I were logging HIIT, I would use the average speed- so if I were doing 1:1 intervals at 8.5 and 3.5 (I probably wouldn't do 1:1 but for the sake of this example) the average speed would be 6mph, which I would use for logging, which is equal to the moderate jumping. Perceived level of effort- the 1:1 Hiit and rope jumping feel pretty comparable to me. I think with the double-unders the "fast" option makes sense too, but I'm not there yet.

How many turns per minute are you doing these days?
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    thanks for noticing

How many turns per minute are you doing these days?
    I think somewhere around 100, maybe 110- does that sound right?