Which fad diet are you on???

Options

Replies

• vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I agree, however, low carb is not a fad diet. It is a lifestyle change...just saying.
    I think as more and more people are prescribed a low carb diet by their doctors and nutritionists it'll lose the fad diet stigma.

I think watching your carbs isn't a fad diet, but Atkins, paleo etc absolutely are. If it has a name, it's a fad.

While it may be thought of as a "fad," some people *are* losing weight and making life choices on these diets. If they help somebody, more power to them!

Not snarky, and I agree with your definitions. Hey, if I didn't try lots of fad diets and THEN finally decided to see how the types of calories I ate affected me, I would have never found the best dietary changes (permanent, not short-tem) for my health.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    How I feel the next time somebody asks me about the new "fasting diet"

50in0z.jpg
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am on the "Stop eating enough food for a family of 4!" fad diet. I am currently down to like 1.75 or so :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I agree, however, low carb is not a fad diet. It is a lifestyle change...just saying.
    I think as more and more people are prescribed a low carb diet by their doctors and nutritionists it'll lose the fad diet stigma.

I think watching your carbs isn't a fad diet, but Atkins, paleo etc absolutely are. If it has a name, it's a fad.
    Unfortunately for me my diet does have a name, LCHF. :laugh:

I'm ok with that though, no amount of pressure to "eat healthy", people telling you it's a fad diet or implying you're gullible, foolish or doomed to failure can compete with that feeling you get from finally finding the approach that resonates with you and that you can live with for the rest of your life. I wish everybody the same.
  • tricia156
    tricia156 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just say I am trying the E.L.F. diet..........Eat less food and walking as long as the word diet is mentioned they seem content
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    No joke I have a co-worker on a.....

......wait for it.....

trumpets please.............a PICKLES and WHITE RICE diet.

She's moody as all get out and ridiculously emotional all.the.time.

Wonder why?
    :laugh:

I'll keep my real food thanks.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Great thread!
    My favorite reply after I tell someone that I exercise and eat right is "Oh, well I don't have time for that!" [...]....I MAKE TIME! :bigsmile:

Reminds me of something I saw the other day on another health site... they won't ask you in the ambulance if you have time now for a heart attack.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I can understand not having time to exercise. I have had periods of my life when exercise was way down my priority list, but how can you not have time to eat right? How does eating healthily take more time than eating unhealthily?
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm not easily annoyed but when it comes to this subject it's a whole different story. One of my best friends is on a diet, all she's been eating is fruit and veg for the last month, she's lost over a stone and seems to be pretty ecstatic with her results I mean I would be too, but we were talking about this today, she will come off her diet once she loses another stone, she can't wait to go back to eating normally again she said. I wasn't saying it to be rude, but I said I think you'll probably gain at least some of the weight back because you're being so strict on yourself now. I work with twenty other women, over half of them are on diets, the ones who are on diets all bang on about how unhappy they are, how much they want that biscuit but won't have it because it's 'bad,' it annoys me because I don't understand why having one is so wrong, I mean it's a biscuit! I have never believed in diets, just moderation, something so simple is made so complicated by many people.
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options

I think what makes people identify "low carb" as a fad diet is the name. Really, you're not adopting a "low carb" diet, you're dropping a "high carb" diet. It isn't that carbs are evil, it's that many of the foods people eat every day have been over processed to add high amounts of carbs, especially low fat options. This combined with the massive amounts of sugar added to everything from soda to ketchup means that most people eating 'normal' diets are actually on high-carb compared to what their body really needs.

If that makes sense :)
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA this is great! I run into this at work. I work in a hospital where ironically 3/4 of the people I work with are either overweight or in the obese category. Yet they drink a large DD iced coffee with double cream and sugar on their 20 minute break, have a bagel as well and then will eat another 2,000 calories at lunch. I get looked at like I have 10 heads when I don't indulge in the cake, cookies and brownies that always seem to be in our break room. I eat what I want, minus anything with wheat and already have lost 5 lbs and continuing to lose more every day! Just by being HEALTHY. People always need a gimick....
  • McKaylaFadDiets.jpg?t=1344536570

This meme is AMAZING! :laugh:
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I average 330g carbs and 140 of it is sugar daily ^_^ and lost 85lb's. The 4 people that do Atkins want to piledrive me at work =p

Dr Oz asked me to go on this show for the Coca-cola diet.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    if ever in that situation again, you should just spew out a bunch of scientific terms that simply mean healthy and nutritious...lol
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on weight watchers but I've recently stopped.. there's something wrong when a diet is basically telling you to eat a bag of chips over an avocado. Now I'm counting calories to stay at about 1300 + excercise cals and trying to fill myself up on fruits and veg first.

Me too, just quit paying $22 per month and they won't give any macronutrient info, just points. wtf? Years ago I used to go to the meetings and the leaders would push rice cakes, but don't dare put something with fat on them! Well, their advice destroyed my health (will deal with the effects forever!) and I learned a better way. Even though MFP doesn't recognize my personal healthy eating plan, at least they made it so we can change it to what we want! Yay! Just discovered the recipe tool too; love it.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    McKaylaFadDiets.jpg?t=1344536570

bwahahahahahha
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    A recent experience with a co-worker made me chuckle and I thought I would share.

My office has lunch catered in 2-3 times per month for various events (from mostly unhealthy restaurants). For the last 7 weeks I've prepared and brought my own lunch everyday, regardless of whatever the rest of the office would eat. It didn't take long for people to notice that while they were gorging on BBQ, I was eating chicken, broccoli and rice from a tupperware. Naturally, I had to answer questions like "why aren't you eating the free meal.. blah blah blah" -- Yesterday a co-worker asked what kind of diet I was on:

"Are you doing Atkins? South Beach? [A few other diets I'd never heard of]???"

"Nope.." I simply explained that I educated myself on proper nutrition and created a diet that suited both my tastes and lifestyle.

*45 second pause/silence/blank stare*

"So you came up with it on your own?? How much weight have you lost??"

"Over 25 pounds and the best part is that I eat ice cream almost everyday."

*MIND EXPLODES*

Finding balanced nutrition doesn't mean buying a program you saw advertised on late night television. Take the time to learn how many calories you need to achieve your goals and what foods you enjoy and allow you to be healthy. Diets are only torturous if you let them be. Take control. The sooner you realize this is a lifestyle change, the faster you'll be at peace with yourself and the faster you'll reach your goals.

Absolutely solid and true.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I average 330g carbs and 140 of it is sugar daily ^_^ and lost 85lb's. The 4 people that do Atkins want to piledrive me at work =p

Dr Oz asked me to go on this show for the Coca-cola diet.

You appear to be a young, active man. I don't think your "fad" diet would be very effective for many of us. So, yeah, I might pile-drive you too; if you weren't younger and faster than me. :bigsmile:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    No fads ...... I've lost 40+ lbs so far by eating loads of vegetables, fruit & protein .... a bit of dairy, a bit of starch ...... and cutting back on the "other" stuff, which goes to my hips, anyway ..... it's just easier to say "no, thanks" .......

A coworker at my previous job actually stopped talking to me because I'd changed my eating habits & started to lose weight without "consulting" her first ...... she was mad at ME cuz she needed to lose weight & I started without her :laugh:
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am on the "Stop eating enough food for a family of 4!" fad diet. I am currently down to like 1.75 or so :)

I lol'ed so hard I shot fat free yogurt out of my nose