Why Do YOU Eat Low Carb?

Options
chivalryder
chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
Hey everyone,

So I've been seeing more and more people on here going on about "low carb" diets, and that they're oh-so great for losing weight.

I honestly don't understand it, but my background is endurance racing. I'm accustomed to eating 60-75% of my calories as carbs. When you're doing 20 hours a week of running/cycling, and burning insane amounts of calories, you NEED carbs for energy. I understand the benefits of low-carbs if you have a medical reason to do so, but without a medical reason, it doesn't make any sense to me. Carbs are the primary source of fuel. Why get rid of them.

I know I can do some research on the benefits of it on Google or what not, but I'm more interested in why YOU are doing it.

So please, elaborate on your reasoning. I'm very curious to know why YOU chose to do it, and how it's working out for YOU.

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I tend to limit my starch and grain carbs - bread, pasta, potatoes, et. al. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy them and fit them in when I want them. I just see them as empty calories, really.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I tend to limit my starch and grain carbs - bread, pasta, potatoes, et. al. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy them and fit them in when I want them. I just see them as empty calories, really.

This I can understand. Those sorts of carbs have no nutritional value, so I would avoid them too.

I see some people on here who limit themselves to 20g a day! I ate an apple that has more than that! Why do people think they're so bad?
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Because I have more energy when I keep my carbs at 40% or less of my daily intake. Excessive carbs make me feel sluggish. I did 40/30/30 as an endurance swimmer and I was perfectly fine. I also find I'm more hungry, especially if my carb intake is high in starch/grains. Fruit makes me hungry too, like really hungry.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I wish I could tell you that I fought the good fight, and the carbs let me be. I wish I could tell you that - but dieting is no fairy-tale world. I never said who did it, but they all knew. Things went on like that for awhile - dieting consists of routine, and then more routine. Every so often, I would show up with more bodyfat. The carbs kept at me - sometimes I was able to fight 'em off, sometimes not. And that's how it went for me - that was my routine. I do believe those first two years were the worst for me, and I also believe that if things had gone on that way, dieting would have got the best of me.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    My carbs are set pretty low (30%), but I still get plenty of fruits and veggies.

I don't do any long distance running/cardio, and am trying to lower my body fat% while keeping my testosterone levels up and raising my HDL.

I like a high protein diet and want a 30% fat diet, so the calories had to come from somewhere. I still easily hit my fiber goals on most days.

I don't really think of myself as being "low carb" but many on this site would consider 30% low carb.

I still eat around 200g of carbs per day.
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Because it works
  • stargazer008
    Options
    It's the only thing that works for me. whenever I eat more protein and less carbs, I lose weight faster.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

LOLOL
  • linzee2207
    linzee2207 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For me, eating a lot of carbs, especially those white carbs like bread and pasta make me feel super bloated and uhhh back things up. Even if I don't actually weigh less, I feel lighter and have more energy when I limit them.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't.

I keep my calories, protein, fat, and fiber within acceptable ranges for fat burning and carbs take care of themselves. I don't look at how many carbs are in things, nor do I care to.
  • claudiacarmel
    claudiacarmel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the "healthy carbs" like brown rice, oatmeal, whole grain pasta, etc. and I don't always eat those every day. If I bake, I use almond flour. I eat veggies lots of veggies every day and feel like those are healthy carbs. Stay away from "white" carbs. Tend to do high protein. Exercise is just walking...10,000 to 15,000 steps a day. 1100 cals a day carbs usually under 200 a day?
  • amandamorris07
    amandamorris07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS IS CORRECT, BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE READ ONLINE (EX. ATKINS.COM) IS THAT IF YOUR BODY DOESN'T HAVE CARBS TO USE AS FUEL IT WILL USE YOUR STORED FAT AS ITS FUEL RESOURCE. AND TO ME IT'S WORTH A TRY TO SEE IF I CAN DROP THE FIRST FEW POUNDS THIS WAY. I SERIOUSLY JUST SPENT ALL DAY YESTERDAY RESEARCHING THE ATKINS DIET AND TODAY IS MY FIRST DAY ON IT. I ONLY TOOK IN 20 G OF CARBS TODAY AND I FEEL LIKE I HAVE MORE ENERGY ALREADY! BUT AT SAME TIME I SIT BEHIND A DESK ALL DAY, SO MAYBE I DON'T NEED AS MUCH AS OTHER ACTIVE PEOPLE.
  • adrianac06
    Options
    I don't think it's healthy by any means, but I have done it in the past in order to lose weight quickly.I have lost 50 pounds in a matter of two months by limiting my carb intake to 30 grams a day. I was also pushing 270 at the time though. So i would say mainly because it allows many people to lose weight very rapidly.
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    The bad carbs (pasta, bread, rice, wheat, gluten, etc) make me feel very bloated, tired and miserable. I still eat sweet potatoes and eat fruit which are still carbs!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS IS CORRECT, BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE READ ONLINE (EX. ATKINS.COM) IS THAT IF YOUR BODY DOESN'T HAVE CARBS TO USE AS FUEL IT WILL USE YOUR STORED FAT AS ITS FUEL RESOURCE. AND TO ME IT'S WORTH A TRY TO SEE IF I CAN DROP THE FIRST FEW POUNDS THIS WAY. I SERIOUSLY JUST SPENT ALL DAY YESTERDAY RESEARCHING THE ATKINS DIET AND TODAY IS MY FIRST DAY ON IT. I ONLY TOOK IN 20 G OF CARBS TODAY AND I FEEL LIKE I HAVE MORE ENERGY ALREADY! BUT AT SAME TIME I SIT BEHIND A DESK ALL DAY, SO MAYBE I DON'T NEED AS MUCH AS OTHER ACTIVE PEOPLE.

Why are you yelling?

& Of course atkins is going to advocate low-carb. That's what that diet is. Try research that's not biased.
  • anthonysig
    anthonysig Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I get all my carbs from veggies, berries and post workout shakes and have never shredded fat and gained muscle quicker
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options

^^ This. It's easy for me to go way overboard on carbs as a vegetarian. I've found that I get the best results by consciously eating less carbs than I normally would, were I not paying attention to nutrition at all. I try to stay between 100-150 grams a day, but it is really hard, because I adore carbs (especially during long, cold Minnesota winters). To me, there's nothing better than a big bowl of pasta with some crusty bread, followed by cake. I know from experience though that I get the best results from eating more protein & fat, and less carbs....it's just what works for me.
  • Tkwild
    Tkwild Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance - if I eat more than a bare minimum number of carbs, it doesn't matter how much or little I eat or exercise, I will consistently gain weight. Low carb doesn't always make me lose (my body is pretty determined) but it is the only thing that ever works for me. Plus, bacon!
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Too many carbs make me want to binge eat. Even healthy carbs can be a trigger. That said, I think I have a moderate carb diet. I aim for 40% carbs - 30 % fat - 30% protein. I follow a 1700 calorie diet so that's still a lot of carbs compared to most low-carb programs. I also try to have most of my carbs in the morning or by lunch.
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I prefer eating low carb because (after the initial 2-3 days of brainfog) my mind is the clearest... I focus a whole lot better and my memory stays on point. And the natural energy is amazing... I can sleep for 3-4 hours and run circles around my coworkers all day.

Granted it helped me lose 42 pounds in 4 months the first time I did it two , but now I'm eating carbs and starting to lose weight at the same rate... however I have to drink so much coffee/red bull to stay remotely awake during the day.