Why Do YOU Eat Low Carb?

Options

Replies

• mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    51 and my hormones are working against me. I do low carb because it keeps me in check and helps me with my cravings. I can eat a lot of protein no problem (I keep those lean too). The more carbs I eat, the more I want. If I stick to fruits and vegetables for my carbs I just don't get the same cravings. I have lost 11 pounds since I started low carb. I just make better choices.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Sugar is toxic.

Carbohydrate is rare in nature and our biology is designed to store it when we come across it.

Insulin (triggered by carbohydrate) suppresses important hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that control hunger and satiation.

Carbohydrate causes an imbalance of good and bad cholesterol and prevents the body from regulating it appropriately.

Carbohydrate causes hardening of arterial walls, causing clogged arteries that cholesterol attempts to repair. This becomes a chronic issue and is commonly blamed on cholesterol and fat.

Carbohydrate can cause insulin insensitivity leading to diabetes and other chronic issues like metabolic syndrome.

Many types of cancer are accelerated in growth by carbohydrate because cancers develop insulin receptors.

Carbohydrate effects the brain the same way many addictive drugs do.

Carbohydrate addicts suffer with withdraw symptoms when they quit cold turkey.

Also, Carbohydrate is 100% NOT NECESSARY IN THE DIET. We only need fat and protein.

So why eat it unless you have a specific purpose and a means to use that carbohydrate effectively.

carbs are key to help supply ooxygen to the brain so I'm thinking this is a little bit past a little crazy. Though I'm sure if this is 100% fact in the land you live in you probably also share living space with unicorn's, fairies, and lesbians with a sense of humor. Saying sugar is toxic and then using diabetics as your only example is like saying not breathing exclusivly underwater is life threatening and using fish as proof. I guess the only real question I have here is, are you insane?
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    This is a good reason why people should not pick up Gary Taubes books.

You realize you just gave the guy some fantastic exposure... I bet Amazon just lit up with Gary Taubes searches.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

You realize you just gave the guy some fantastic exposure... I bet Amazon just lit up with Gary Taubes searches.

LOL

And the population of MFP just got 20% dumber as a result.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I wish I could tell you that I fought the good fight, and the carbs let me be. I wish I could tell you that - but dieting is no fairy-tale world. I never said who did it, but they all knew. Things went on like that for awhile - dieting consists of routine, and then more routine. Every so often, I would show up with more bodyfat. The carbs kept at me - sometimes I was able to fight 'em off, sometimes not. And that's how it went for me - that was my routine. I do believe those first two years were the worst for me, and I also believe that if things had gone on that way, dieting would have got the best of me.

Lol. How long did it take for you to tunnel out of the carb hell with that little pick? ;)
  • naples89
    naples89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As a microbiologist who did 4 years of dietrelated research in college its really hard to read the forums sometimes, what with all the toxins and "starvation mode" is real threads.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

O rly?
    [/quote]

Agreeing with the oh really? Never seen a client for carbohydrate addiction.... Or seen this published anywhere, I would love to see the research articles you found this from.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options

chairstunt.gif
    You again. Way to contribute.

Likewise, i see you're still making things up?
    Carbohydrate is rare in nature and our biology is designed to store it when we come across it.

Yup, plants are very rare indeed. And if our biology is designed to store it, you'd think DNL would be a much more common occurrence than it is
    Insulin (triggered by carbohydrate) suppresses important hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that control hunger and satiation.

Protein also triggers insulin

O rly?

Yes. I made this all up (sarcastic)

Most plants found in nature are seasonal and have the fraction of the carbohydrate found in today's manufactured and genetically altered foods.

Protein does to an extent. I don't advocate a high protein diet either.

Yes Really.

Every post you made after mine has been nothing more than a troll.

As for the other person who said the both Taubes and Lustig have been refuted, I would like to see your particular sources. I will read it and take into consideration.

I posted what I had to say. If you wish to have a conversation about it rather that posting information-less troll posts, the please let me know. Troll on people.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of reasons. First, It has stopped my cravings/binge eating/uncontrollable appetite. I craved sugar, bread, potatoes...because when you're fat you're tired, and that's your body's quickest way to get energy. However, carbs cause an insulin surge, and insulin is a fat storing hormone, and I could not lose weight....couldnt control my appetite, couldnt make any progress at all.
    Since I've gone low carb, my energy is level, my moods have leveled, I'm awake when I need to be, and my sleep is SO much more restful. My appetite has decreased, my periods are half as heavy and half as long, my blood pressure is going down, my migraines have reduced to almost none, my fibromyalgia pain is also almost gone(oh, and I suffered so much.) This type of eating allows me to be successful at losing weight, at controlling my calories....and frankly, having fewer options for food is easier for me. I know I cant 'cheat' and be successful(so I dont...ever.) I dont bloat, or retain fluid as much, my ibuprofen intake has decreased by about 1000%.........and I'm losing weight, decreasing my risk of diabetes, not taking in any HFCS, and I dont feel like a slug after I eat anymore.
    Without a doubt, it's not easy, it has some drawbacks, and I miss chocolate cake and fruit tremendously....but experience tells me I cant be successful on a low fat diet, and over time, I am gaining HUGE control over my eating discipline, and I eat far less food. Maybe one day I will change my strategy and try low fat again, and my eating habits and discipline will all be a result of the efforts I'm putting into low carb, it helps me be successful.
    It's not for everyone, I'm sure. Some people get a flu like feeling....but I have fibromyalgia...I felt like crap all the time anyway...lol....so now that fluish thing didnt even phase me.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options

I liked his books. His larger book, Good Calories Bad Calories is packed full of referenced research. OP, this is a good place to start.

Some people knock him, but everyone has their critics weather is rational or not.

Dr. Lustig goes in depth as to why sugar is toxic. I would suggest you read his book and or watch his YT videos.

Unfortunately they have both been readily refuted. I would suggest you look into the counterpoints as to why both of the above gentlemen are completely missing the boat.

EDIT: In a previous thread, when I could clearly tell that you were spouting Taubes nonsense, I tried to point you in the right direction with Krieger's referenced and researched rebuttal. You either chose not to read it, or you disagreed with it and didn't comment further.

I didn't see it. I'll check it out.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I find if i eat more carbs i dont lose weight, and it doesnt take much for that.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude, but I'd rather take advice from my buddies that posted that are beyond ripped. I don't need to name them, I think it's obvious! Results=truth IMO
  • Lattegurl
    Lattegurl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • naples89
    naples89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

chairstunt.gif
    You again. Way to contribute.

Likewise, i see you're still making things up?

Yup, plants are very rare indeed. And if our biology is designed to store it, you'd think DNL would be a much more common occurrence than it is

Protein also triggers insulin

O rly?

Yes. I made this all up (sarcastic)

Most plants found in nature are seasonal and have the fraction of the carbohydrate found in today's manufactured and genetically altered foods.

Yes Really.

Every post you made after mine has been nothing more than a troll.

As for the other person who said the both Taubes and Lustig have been refuted, I would like to see your particular sources. I will read it and take into consideration.

I posted what I had to say. If you wish to have a conversation about it rather that posting information-less troll posts, the please let me know. Troll on people.

you did make this up and anyone who paid attention in high school biology would know that.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bloating. Which is why I have reduced my carb/sodium intake and it has helped the "bloated" feeling. Granted I still love my carbs, but once again, moderation, and maybe even a little less in order not to feel so ugk.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

How their carb count compares to today's foods has no relevance on if they are "rare" or not.

Yet you left that out of your fear mongering

Every post you made after mine has been nothing more than a troll. .

Actually previously I tried to engage you in a high level debate, which you chose to ignore. I was asking you about DNL if you remember
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    This is the other reason I eat low carb

McKaylaCarbs.jpg?t=1344545790
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, I put in more than my fair share of hours working for Burger King. At the end of each night during clean-up, we'd have to take apart the steamer, drain it, wipe it out, etc. Inevitably, at some point during the day, a bun half would have fallen into the water at the bottom of the steamer and by the time we found it, it had swollen to twice its normal size, and was blobbing around on the surface of the water like a fat, bready jellyfish.

When I eat bready sorts of carbs, I physically feel like that bun.

When I avoid bready sorts of carbs, I feel like a lean, muscle-y beast with tons of energy. THAT is the reason I go low-carb. Well, "low" in terms of no bready carbs. I'll still eat fruit and things like granola bars...I just avoid breads, cakes, etc.

Feeling like a bun in the steamer is no fun at all. :p
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    This is the other reason I eat low carb

McKaylaCarbs.jpg?t=1344545790
    Just reiterating a point.

I'm in the 5% carb club and I say "**** the haters!"
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Sugar is toxic.

Carbohydrate causes an imbalance of good and bad cholesterol and prevents the body from regulating it appropriately.

Carbohydrate causes hardening of arterial walls, causing clogged arteries that cholesterol attempts to repair. This becomes a chronic issue and is commonly blamed on cholesterol and fat.

Carbohydrate can cause insulin insensitivity leading to diabetes and other chronic issues like metabolic syndrome.

Many types of cancer are accelerated in growth by carbohydrate because cancers develop insulin receptors.

Carbohydrate addicts suffer with withdraw symptoms when they quit cold turkey.

Also, Carbohydrate is 100% NOT NECESSARY IN THE DIET. We only need fat and protein.

So why eat it unless you have a specific purpose and a means to use that carbohydrate effectively.

It is technically true that you don't need carbohydrates in a set (and bad) definition, but still a horrible idea.

"Carbohydrates provide your body with the most important source of energy, used in each of your body's cells, tissues and organs. This energy is used to fuel all of the activities it takes for your body to live. According to the Mayo Clinic, carbohydrates such as whole grains and dietary fiber may help reduce your risk of developing cardiovascular disease, obesity and type 2 diabetes. Fiber, found in whole grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes, is essential for digestive health.

Health Risks of Eliminating Carbohydrates

Without including healthy carbohydrates in your diet, you are at an increased risk for certain adverse health conditions. Eliminating carbohydrates and replacing those calories with fatty sources of protein can increase your intake of saturated fat and cholesterol, known to increase your risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer. Eliminating carbohydrates also eliminates fiber from your diet, which can contribute to constipation and other gastrointestinal problems. Ketosis, a condition that occurs in the body by incomplete fat breakdown, arises with low carbohydrate intake and can cause weakness, nausea, dehydration, dizziness and irritability."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/419298-can-you-live-without-carbohydrates/#ixzz235JI5AXB

So basically... No. To everything you said. Because I think Mayo Clinic knows a bit more about health and medicine than you.