50 shades of grey!

Options

Replies

• brandalini
    brandalini Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I love the entire series! Mmmm Christian Grey

edited to say:

I'm not saying it's a piece of literary art, but it is pretty great erotica/romance in my opinion :D

So abusiv relationships,the kind women go to shelters to get away from turns you on? Im not even talking about the really really bad writing,im talking about the fact that he stalks her,tells her what to eat,controls pretty much her whole life. Can you please tell me how that has anything to do with romance?

It's about Dom/sub relationships, which in his other ones the girls sign a contract. They have the option of not signing it, and have the option to put their hard limits in as well. Which is something she did, about the food and a few other things. She also lets him know that while she cares for him, she doesn't want to be beaten harshly and is into learning and playing, just on a lesser level than he's used to. Which is he comes to turn with, even though it's his sexual desire to do so.

I like kink in the bedroom, I find no problem with it at all if there are open lines of communication. An abusive relationship and a kink relationship are two very different things. And there are parts I wasn't to keen on (the tampon part was a little disgusting for my tastes), but I realize everyone has different tastes and so should you.

But she never actually signs the contract, she doesn't want to. And yes she agrees to try things in the bedroom but he still controls a lot of her life even when she asks him not to. For example, he buys the company where she works even though she gets angry about it and he says he would do it anyway "because he can." Also the showing up when she is visiting her mom and stalking her. I think when people say abusive and controlling it is those things they are talking about. And again, she never actually signs the contract. my biggest problem with her is how quickly she gives into him even when he treats her like garbage. Who would put up with that?

I also wonder what people think about the end of the second book when he takes care of his ex-sub. I can't see anyone being ok with their SO doing that with an ex. This also bothered me because he had such a problem with her hanging out with her guy friend but then it was ok for him to be friends with Mrs. Robinson and help his ex-sub.

I reallly wish I never read the second and glad I didn't move on to the third.

She chooses to be with him despite knowing his preferences. She doesn't do everything he asks her to do and still has her independence. She stays friends with her friends, even though he is uncomfortable. He stops seeing Mrs Robinson AND his ex sub. He helps her because she is clearly in need of help and he's not a monster. Yes it would be uncomfortable, but if my bf had an ex who needed help and he could help her from afar I would not try to interfere in that. Should he not help her when he has the resources to do so and she doesn't? I think that's very kind of him.

And she doesn't easily give into him, they fight about it, they both compromise on different things. I'm not saying everything he did was right, but he's not a terrible guy because he has issues.

And regardless of what I think, my main issue is that that is what works for some people and not for others. You're entitled to your opinion of the situation, I just don't think he's abusive or a negative influence in her life. I think they compliment each other and he is sweet and sexy and sounds great in the bedroom!

Also, he is obviously a "fixer", which is an issue, but she helps him along the way as well. I loved the books, you don't have to; I do find him sexy, charming and sweet, you don't have to.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options

edited to say:

I'm not saying it's a piece of literary art, but it is pretty great erotica/romance in my opinion :D

So abusiv relationships,the kind women go to shelters to get away from turns you on? Im not even talking about the really really bad writing,im talking about the fact that he stalks her,tells her what to eat,controls pretty much her whole life. Can you please tell me how that has anything to do with romance?

you can't rape the willing (i am not talking about statutory either), in other words different things turn on different people, as long as they are consenting then it isn't an abusive relationship. she said erotica/romance, which it is. Can you please explain to me why you are on some kind of crusade to dictate what consenting adults should do in their own relationships based on what you feel is right or wrong? You don't like the book.....................we get it, it is just a damn book, Christchex, don't read it, BAM problem solved.

Where did I say anything about rape? I said he controls every aspect of her life,stalks her,tells her what to wear, eat ect ect
    That is all stuff that if your best friends boyfriend was doing you would tell her to run and run fast. I could care less if all the little sheep in the world wet their panties over a book,all I want to know is how is that romance? So if one of your friends/sister/mother was being treated like this you would be really cool with it since they are both adults right?
    You dont like my replies on a public forum? BAM dont read it.
  • DieVixen
    Options

edited to say:

It's about Dom/sub relationships, which in his other ones the girls sign a contract. They have the option of not signing it, and have the option to put their hard limits in as well. Which is something she did, about the food and a few other things. She also lets him know that while she cares for him, she doesn't want to be beaten harshly and is into learning and playing, just on a lesser level than he's used to. Which is he comes to turn with, even though it's his sexual desire to do so.

I like kink in the bedroom, I find no problem with it at all if there are open lines of communication. An abusive relationship and a kink relationship are two very different things. And there are parts I wasn't to keen on (the tampon part was a little disgusting for my tastes), but I realize everyone has different tastes and so should you.

Obviously you dont know a thing about dom/sub contracts and relationships........I do and thats not how they work. Those in the BDSM lifestyle are sickened that this book keeps getting tied the lifestyle. This book has nothing to do with bdsm,i have known many collared slaves in my life and tthat IS not how it works

Don’t read something that totally misrepresents how BDSM works because a Dom should never, ever, ask a sub not to use her safeword, oh my God. Don’t read something that encourages young women to be attracted to creepy stalkers and let those creepy stalkers pressure them into doing something that they aren’t comfortable with. Sex should be safe, sane and consensual. CONSENSUAL. If a guy tries to make you do something that you’re not comfortable with and you give in even though you’ve got massive doubts, that’s not going to work out! You’re not going to magically enjoy it, especially not in a BDSM relationship. Trust is key and coercion or dub-con does not involve any level of trust.

Read something that truly empowers women, that encourages them to make their own choices and be comfortable in their sexuality and their bodies. Don’t read something that frames an abusive situation as desirable for women.

http://50shadesofwhereisyourgodnow.tumblr.com/
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options

edited to say:

you can't rape the willing (i am not talking about statutory either), in other words different things turn on different people, as long as they are consenting then it isn't an abusive relationship. she said erotica/romance, which it is. Can you please explain to me why you are on some kind of crusade to dictate what consenting adults should do in their own relationships based on what you feel is right or wrong? You don't like the book.....................we get it, it is just a damn book, Christchex, don't read it, BAM problem solved.

Where did I say anything about rape? I said he controls every aspect of her life,stalks her,tells her what to wear, eat ect ect
    That is all stuff that if your best friends boyfriend was doing you would tell her to run and run fast. I could care less if all the little sheep in the world wet their panties over a book,all I want to know is how is that romance? So if one of your friends/sister/mother was being treated like this you would be really cool with it since they are both adults right?

You can't rape the willing is a saying, did you really not understand, cause I thought I that should be pretty obvious. I am so glad you are above all of the people that have enjoyed this book, must be really hard to read with your nose that high in the air. Probably why you can't figure out on your own where the romance comes in. Or was it so lowly of a book you didn't finish it so you really have no idea what happens, or did you finish all three so you actually know what you are talking about. I can't imagine you making it through all three if they sucked so bad and you are so morally repelled by them. So if you didn't read ALL of them then you have no idea what you are talking about and if you did then they couldn't have been that horrible to you and that would put you down here with us lowly sheep. So which is it? And yes if my family member met someone that didn't spank her (without her consent), or mistreat her, cared about her safety,wants and needs and wanted to give the world to her and had the money to do it and she was never happier, especially since he was satisfying her sexually in a way she really enjoyed, no I wouldn't have a problem with it AT ALL. So I am waiting, did you read them all or only half of one? You are either a sheep as well or an uninformed fool spouting off like you have a clue.

" I know about bdsm relationships and contracts and that means I know everything and am the final authority in how things and others relationships should be and I speak for everyone in the BDSM world with my half cocked opinions, I read one of the books and can now judge everything about them and every sheep that enjoyed them." <--- see that's you there

Let's face it, you don't know everything, hell at this point you probably don't even know what the second and third books are about and if you do then BAAAHHHH, you don't get to decide what others like and don't like, and you aren't the end all be all authority on how others should conduct their own personal relationships, you also don't define the boundaries of others relationships, you sure are giving it a go there aren't ya. You don't have control, sorry about your luck.
  • SugarGirl6
    Options
    try Bared to you by Sylvia Day. Very Fifty like
  • DieVixen
    Options

edited to say:

You can't rape the willing is a saying, did you really not understand, cause I thought I that should be pretty obvious. I am so glad you are above all of the people that have enjoyed this book, must be really hard to read with your nose that high in the air. Probably why you can't figure out on your own where the romance comes in. Or was it so lowly of a book you didn't finish it so you really have no idea what happens, or did you finish all three so you actually know what you are talking about. I can't imagine you making it through all three if they sucked so bad and you are so morally repelled by them. So if you didn't read ALL of them then you have no idea what you are talking about and if you did then they couldn't have been that horrible to you and that would put you down here with us lowly sheep. So which is it? And yes if my family member met someone that didn't spank her (without her consent), or mistreat her, cared about her safety,wants and needs and wanted to give the world to her and had the money to do it and she was never happier, especially since he was satisfying her sexually in a way she really enjoyed, no I wouldn't have a problem with it AT ALL. So I am waiting, did you read them all or only half of one? You are either a sheep as well or an uninformed fool spouting off like you have a clue.

Oh im sorry did I touch a nerve,im sorry you care so much about my opinion that it seems to have you so rilled up. Yes I did read the first one,its crap I dont need to read the rest to know its crap. I am so sorry that you are so insecure in the things you like that me saying its crap bothers you so much. . baaaa baaaaa little sheepy baaaa baaaa
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options

edited to say:

Oh im sorry did I touch a nerve,im sorry you care so much about my opinion that it seems to have you so rilled up. Yes I did read the first one,its crap I dont need to read the rest to know its crap. I am so sorry that you are so insecure in the things you like that me saying its crap bothers you so much. . baaaa baaaaa little sheepy baaaa baaaa

haha ooooOOoOo you answered that quick, waiting for me were ya. Who's riled up now. So one book huh? Guess you only know 1/3 of the information you need to form an intelligent and informed opinion. I am guessing you give your opinion with little to no information a lot then. Calling others sheep when you don't even know half of the info you should to form an opinion, from the looks of it you are a sheep too, you know one of those hot topic sheep that wants to be so different and ends up in a pile with all the same, sad sad misunderstood have to be different but I'm not doing it for attention .Bah bah little black sheep. I should also mention how pathetic it is to try to make others feel bad,stupid, or like sheep because they like a BOOK, a fictional story, 2 of which you haven't even read.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    This about sums it up for me:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    50 Shades of Gray was the most wretched piece of writing I've seen a good long time. I would sure like to know how many times the phrases "oh my" and "holy cow" came up. And if I had had to hear any more about her "Inner Goddess" I might have thrown up. Actually, I think I did throw up a little. It was a good start to my weight loss plan.

Aside from that, I never did think controlling, manipulative relationships were all that sexy.
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Worst read in a LONG time. Didn't even finish the first book. #wasteoftime
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I likw John Grisham books.
  • Belenmc
    Belenmc Posts: 15
    Options
    try Bared to you by Sylvia Day. Very Fifty like

Is it fifty like in subject or style?

I like the idea of what fifty is about, but I can't get over the bad writing, totally spoils it for me, so if the quality is better I might give it a go.
  • AnneG61
    AnneG61 Posts: 4
    Options
    Read the other 2 books in the trilogy...Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed...I guarentee you'll fall in love with Christian Grey!!!

I have Bared to You, yet I haven't started it yet..
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Pure and utter over-hyped shizz which is not only badly written but pretty boring too. If you're an avid reader of even passably decent literature you'll see fairly quickly that this is rubbish. I think it's for people who haven't heard a thing about bondage before, probably haven't tried it and are easily titillated.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    this book is why women will never be seen as equal/better creatures compared to men.
    badly written, makes abusive relationships seem acceptable, ridiculously unbelievable and terrible character progression.

the only acceptable review of this book: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That review makes me want to read the books just to laugh at them. I downloaded the two-chapter Kindle preview to my phone out of utter curiosity. I couldn't even finish those two chapters, it bored me so much and the writing was so awful.

That there are people who actually think this is a good literature (I'm not talking about the people who enjoyed the "ride," but recognize that it's basically crap. I'm talking the people who actually think this is good writing in any way, shape or form.) make me want to jump off a bridge. There is no hope for humanity when so many people think that.

I wouldn't even call it bad literature. It isn't any kind of literature. I can't believe a major publisher actually published it.
  • AnneG61
    AnneG61 Posts: 4
    Options
    WOW!! Just read some of the other comments about this topic...people have choices..to read the trilogy or not...and if we're going to talk about the characters as if they were real people, again Ana CHOSE to stay with Christian...and if these two fictional characters hit a nerve with some people, then examine why it bothers you so much...true, there are women who are in abusive. controlling relationships in today's world (been there myself)....yet its again, a choice...a choice to stay or a choice to walk away....

In the books, Christian and Ana agreed on a safe word...and in one scene she actually used it...and Christian stopped...she agreed to the erotic sex life, actually looked forward to times in the Red Room...in the beginning he laid out all the details regarding the relationship..and after much inner debate, Ana agreed to it...

And one final note...ITS A BOOK!!! Not well written, true!!! Just a sexy, erotic story!!!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I read it.. didn't love it but I liked it.. it was worth it.. I just think it could have used a lot more constructive criticism in the editing process! =) You should go to GoodReads.com. I have found several books through that website that I really like. You put in a list that you've already ready, and you can rate them, and they'll show you more =)
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options

Ahhahahahah yes! I read this same review a few weeks ago.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Anyone know of any books similar to twilight, 50 shades if grey

You do know that 50 Shades Of Grey is actually Twilight fanfiction, right? As in: they just changed the names so that they could publish it.