Life on Mars

Options
124»

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    But whats the point of making it warm if you cant make the air breathable? Also its not self sustaining. At least if it were powered by vulcanism we wouldnt need to maintain it. Take away the factories or run out of energy, and the planet dies again. Doesnt seem worth the costs.

the point is you do both. you make it warmer and breathable. and those factories and energy will run a long time. by the time we are able to do this who knows what kind of energy sources we will be tapping into. Dyson Sphere? :)

as for being worth the cost...we might think that it is worth the cost if Earth is facing destruction or if we need the extra space or resources.

and maybe we'll do it just because we can. :)
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    But whats the point of making it warm if you cant make the air breathable? Also its not self sustaining. At least if it were powered by vulcanism we wouldnt need to maintain it. Take away the factories or run out of energy, and the planet dies again. Doesnt seem worth the costs.

Plus, it's still taking too long. With or without the released CO2. And nuclear factories, really? As much as I love NASA for its enthusiasm, building Endeavor costed $1.7 billion. Does a distant alien cousin lending us his cargo ships?

And we cry when they blow the Earth up for the new highway...
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Sorry it doesn't work that way. I

Mars died. One of the reasons why Earth has is able to maintain a thick atmosphere is because it has a hot circulating iron core that creates a magnetic field around it. This field deflects solar radiation that would otherwise strip the atmosphere from the surface. Long ago, Mars also had a hot core and a magnetic field. It had a thick CO2 atmosphere which made it warm enough for liquid water to exist. But because its much smaller, its core cooled off a lot quicker and its magnetic field disappeared. This left no protection from the sun. Slowly over time, the atmosphere and surface water was stripped from the surface by solar radiation, leaving behind the cold desolate desert and barely any atmosphere (about 1% of Earth)

So, you cant "add air" to Mars. Its core is dead. Even if you could, adding oxygen might make it breathable but not warmer. Its not a greenhouse gas. Mars needs a thick greenhouse gas environment of CO2 to be warm because of its distance from the sun.

Yeah, geeky.

I am not a planetary scientist. lol

actually that is the way terraforming works...

grabbed one of the first searches i found and there are countless others discussing how to make Mars livable. nobody is suggesting oxygen alone will do the trick.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast09feb_1/

"That depends," says Marinova, "on how fast we make the gases." According to rough calculations, "if you had 100 factories, each having the energy of a nuclear reactor, working for 100 years, you could warm Mars six to eight degrees." At that rate, to increase the average Martian temperature to the melting point of water -- it's about minus 55 degrees Celsius now -- would take about eight centuries. Actually, it wouldn't take quite that long, Marinova points out, because her calculation doesn't include the feedback effect of the CO2 that would be released as Mars got steadily warmer. "Devising more efficient artificial super-greenhouse gases will also make it faster," Marinova adds

The planet Venus, for instance, has a chokingly thick atmosphere, but no magnetic field to protect it against the wind from the nearby Sun. Every planetary atmosphere is a balance between "sources and sinks." If some process (like volcanism) pumps gas into the atmosphere at a rate that substantially exceeds solar wind loses, the atmosphere will persist. The equilibrium on Venus happens to favor a thick atmosphere."

I'm jumping late on this and haven't read the whole thing but if you're wondering if its worth the cost with what they are doing with space it really is. Economist agree that we get more from the space program then what we put in it, its an investment, by how much they disagree but all agree it does help the US's economy because of the technology that comes from NASA which then private businesses can pick up on and create a business with. If this wasn't at all what you were referring to then my apologies.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options

the point is you do both. you make it warmer and breathable. and those factories and energy will run a long time. by the time we are able to do this who knows what kind of energy sources we will be tapping into. Dyson Sphere? :)

as for being worth the cost...we might think that it is worth the cost if Earth is facing destruction or if we need the extra space or resources.

and maybe we'll do it just because we can. :)

I would think that if we have the energy and capablity to fix Mars that we should be able to fix the Earth first. IMO Mars may be a good stepping stone for learning how to live in and explore alien environments, but its no replacement for Earth. Our homeworld is are best most precious resource. Seems like a waste to put our efforts into a place like Mars without fixing our issues here first.

I fully support our space exploration programs, but if NASA announced tomorrow that they were starting a terraforming operation on Mars I just couldnt support it. Priorities.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Wait..

Stop...

There a meteor headed for earth? Why is this not news? WTF!

I know we get near misses all the time. Actually, it's quite scary. But, there one on its way that might destroy us?
  • neverstray
    Options
    Here are just a few products and technologies created by the space program. I used to work on an aspect of the space program, and my father worked on it his whole life, so it's near and dear to my heart. My favorite discovery or invention is Velcro. But, here's the list. In short, amazing. Anyone who thinks that space exploration was a waste of time needs to be more educated about what came out of it:

360 Degree Camera
    3-D Synthetic Vision Flight Displays
    Advanced Hydrogen Sensors
    Advanced Lubricants
    Advanced Welding Torch
    Aerodynamic Bicycle Wheels
    Air Catalysts for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
    Aircraft Collision Avoidance
    Aircraft Design Analysis
    Airline Wheelchairs
    Airliner TV Transmission Via Satellite
    AiroCide TiO2 Air Purifier
    Anthrax Smoke Detector
    Arteriosclerosis Detection
    Artificial Heart
    Astronaut Plant Bag
    Athletic Shoes
    Audiometric System for Hearing Assessment
    Automated Urinalysis
    Automatic Insulin Pump
    Automotive Design

Automotive Insulation
    BAFCO Linear Actuators
    Balance Evaluation System
    Biomass Production System for Education
    Bioreactor Demonstration System
    Bioreactor Human Tissue Growth
    Bone Analyzer
    Breast Biopsy
    Breast Cancer Screening
    Bridge Safety Improvements
    Cabin Pressure Altitude Monitor and Warning System
    Camera on a Chip
    Cardiac Pacemaker
    Cataract Surgery Tools
    Chemical Warfare Hood
    Chromosome Analysis
    Clean Room Apparel
    Clean Water for Homes
    Coastal Zone Color Scanner
    Compact Blood Diagnostic Equipment
    Compact Fire and Rescue Extraction Devices
    Composite Forceps
    Composite Materials Development – Golf Clubs
    Computer Joysticks
    Computer-Aided Tomography (CAT Scanner)

Computer Reader for the Blind
    Convection Oven
    Cool Vest Therapeutic Suits
    Cordless Power Tools and Appliances
    Corporate Jet Wing Designs
    Corrosion Protection Coating
    Crop Dusting Improvements
    Crop Growing Improvements
    DeBakey Heart Pump
    Dental Arch Wire
    Digital Mammography
    Diving Optical Profiler
    DMI Remote Sensing Fish-Finding Service
    Doppler Radar
    Ear Thermometer
    Edible Toothpaste
    Electric Car
    Emission Testing
    Emulsified Zero-Valent Iron Remediation
    Energy Storage Systems
    Engine Coatings
    Engine Design
    Engine Lubricant
    Failsafe Flashlight
    Fetal Heart Monitor
    Fire Detection Systems
    Firefighter Breathing System
    Firefighter Radios
    Firefighting Equipment
    Fireman’s Air Tanks
    Fitness Equipment
    Flame Detector
    Foam-In-Place Seating Technology
    Freeze Drying Technologies
    Gas Detector
    Gasoline Vapor Recovery
    Geosynchronous Orbiting
    Golf Ball Aerodynamics
    GPS Navigation
    Helmet Padding
    High Temperature Soldering Blocks
    High-Pressure Waterstripping
    Historical Document Condition Analysis
    Home Insulation
    Human Tissue Stimulator
    Implantable Heart Aid
    Improved Aircraft Engines
    Inertial Motion-Tracking for Virtual Reality
    Infrared Camera
    Infrared Thermometer
    Insulation
    Insulin Pumps
    Interactive Computer Training
    InTime Agricultural Remote Sensing
    Invisible Braces
    Kidney Dialysis
    Land Mine Removal Device
    Laser Angioplasty
    Laser Heart Surgery
    Laser Wire Stripper
    Lead Poison Detection
    Lifeshears – Emergency Rescue Cutters
    Lightning Protection
    Low Vision Enhancement System (LVES)
    Lubricant Coating Process
    Machine Tool Software
    Magnetic Bearing System
    Magnetic Liquids
    Magnetic Resonance Imaging
    Medical Gas Analyzer
    Methane-Powered Vehicles
    Microelectromechanical Systems
    Microlasers
    Miniature Accelerometers
    Modified Carbon Nanotube Materials
    Ocean Fluorometer
    Ocular Screening
    Oil Spill Control
    PackBot Tactical Mobile Robot
    Palate Surgery Technology
    Personal Storm Warning System
    Pesticide-Free Mosquito Killing System
    Phenotype MicroArray
    Photodynamic Therapy
    Physical Therapy
    Pill Sized Transmitter
    Plantronics Wireless Communications Devices
    Portable X-Ray Device
    Precision Lightning Strike Location System
    Programmable Pacemaker
    PRO-SAN Non-Toxic Microbicidal Santizer
    Prosthesis Material
    Protective Clothing
    PureSense Water and Air Purification Systems
    Quartz Clock
    Radiant Barrier Technology
    Radiation Hazard Detector
    Real-Time Emergency Action Coordination Tool
    Remote Controlled Light Switch
    Remote Command and Control Appliances
    Ribbed Swimsuit
    Robotic Arms
    Robotic Hands
    Satellite Computer Data Transmission
    Satellite Computer Image Transmission
    Satellite Crop Growth & Monitoring
    Satellite Fishing Technology
    Satellite Stabilization
    Satellite Telephone Signal Transmission
    Satellite TV Transmission
    School Bus Improvements
    Secure Mobile Router System
    Self-Locking Fasteners
    Self-Righting Life Raft
    Ski Boots
    Skin Care Product Effectiveness Technology
    Smoke Detector Improvements
    Smoke Penetrating Forest Fire Analysis
    Solar Power Technologies
    Solid State High-Power Transmitters
    Space Pens
    SpiraFlex Resistance Exercise Device
    Stadium Roofing Fabric
    Standing Wave Reflectometer Wire Analyzer
    Studless Winter Tires
    Sunglasses Blocking Harmful Rays
    Surgical Brain Tumor Probe
    Temper Foam Technology
    Temperature Pill
    Thermal Gloves and Boots
    Thermal Protection Insulation
    Three-dimensional Thermal Tomography in Radiation Oncology
    Tire Deflating Devices – MagnumSpike
    Tollbooth Air Purification
    Ultrasound Scanners
    Ultrasound Skin Damage Assesment
    VEGGIE – Deployable Vegetable System
    Vehicle Brake Improvements
    Vehicle Tracking
    Velcro
    Video Stabilization
    Virtual Reality
    Vision Screening System
    Voice Controlled Wheelchair
    Warfighter Accelerated Recovery
    Waste Heat Energy Conversion
    Waste Water Purification
    Water Purification
    Weight Saving Composite Materials
    Welding Sensor System
    Whale Tracking Technologies
    Windshear Prediction
    WindTracer for Tracking Aircraft Wake Vortices
    Wireless Communications
    ZipNut

They had to solve so many problems, that they created all these things in the process.

On to the very expensive toilet that NASA had to defend. I love how our VP described it in a meeting once when the controversey over a $50,000 toilet was published in the papers. He said, and I quote in an angry tone, he looks around the room during a silence after a question about a $50,000 toilet comes up, and he says, "has anyone here ever taken a *kitten* in outer space?" first there was silence, then laughter. Of course not, so you can't possibly understand the complexity of the situation. That's one very basic situation that I was involved with. When there's no gravity, the *kitten* doesn't fall down. You have to create vacuum and then we had a problem with it lumping in one spot so we had to create a spreader arm to spread it evenly in the potty holer. I mean, it's amazing the problems you encounter.
  • neverstray
    Options
    As far the OPs question, I would not go to Mars unless my children came with me. If I didn't have children, I be the first in line. I love a good adventure.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I would think that if we have the energy and capablity to fix Mars that we should be able to fix the Earth first. IMO Mars may be a good stepping stone for learning how to live in and explore alien environments, but its no replacement for Earth. Our homeworld is are best most precious resource. Seems like a waste to put our efforts into a place like Mars without fixing our issues here first.

I fully support our space exploration programs, but if NASA announced tomorrow that they were starting a terraforming operation on Mars I just couldnt support it. Priorities.

i couldnt support it right now either. but i do support manned missions to Mars right now.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Efffin a right I would! Why not? Dude its Mars!
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Humans will have to go to other planets, and probably soon, to survive as a species. This one will be giving out soon and won't be able to support us for much longer. We have maybe 10 more generations left, out the outside.

Having said that, no I would not go to Mars. I'm too old and uneducated. We need young folks who can have lots babies to emigrate.

i agree with you in the long term but there is nothing to indicate that we only have 10 generations left on Earth.

why do you say that?

I agree with the former. The human species will reach a carry capacity in the future, and space colonization done the right way may help us.

Btw, I think there is an another object in our solar system that already has life. Titan's colorful cracks in its frozen surface could be microbes.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    There a meteor headed for earth? Why is this not news? WTF!

I know we get near misses all the time. Actually, it's quite scary. But, there one on its way that might destroy us?
    There's always a meteor headed for Earth that *might* hit us. For some reason it's always 20-30 years off. And then when that 20-30 years is up, "Oh, it missed us by about 120,000 miles" or something similar.

But yeah, I was actually checking that out after the mention (mostly because someone then dismissed it as a conspiracy theory ... sigh) and there is one that is slated for just around 28 years and scientists are talking about how to potentially deflect it. There is a 1 in 500 chance that it will hit Earth on February 5, 2040.

... Of course, that could just mean it may instead happen on February 6th! Or not at all.

e; Oh, it's called 2011 AG5
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    There IS life on mars...in the form of extremophiles.

Has anyone read the book First Contact: Scientific Breakthroughs in the Hunt for Life Beyond Earth by Marc Kaufman?

it's just sad that while we've found extremophiles, people went ahead and changed the meaning of "life" ... we want "life" as we know it and can utilize, but I say, let's exploit that bacteria. who knows what we might end up with!! :D

anyway it was a good read. I doubt we'll live up there or transplant oxygen. we're looking at it all wrong.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I agree with the former. The human species will reach a carry capacity in the future, and space colonization done the right way may help us.

Btw, I think there is an another object in our solar system that already has life. Titan's colorful cracks in its frozen surface could be microbes.

I was talking about Europa. I hope that nobody holds this against me.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, there are long term effects of lower gravity. For you and me, after growing up here we'd be fine. But our kids and kids' kids would be much weaker in terms of muscle mass and bone density, and they would also be taller.

Relative to each other it would feel like comparing between two people on earth, but comparing someone who grew up on mars to someone from earth, the person from mars would be fragile and weak.

unless they workout

Working out won't matter, they'll still be fragile and weak compared to us. Same way if life lived on a larger planet, they'd be shorter and stronger.
    work out in centrifuge producing a gravity effect
    Hamster wheel on its side.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hahaha

It's great to be interested in space exploration, but I can guarantee that most of the people who read this thread already support funding those kinds of endeavors. We need some kind of viral campaign that will reach the general (and sometimes uneducated) public before there would ever be the kind of funding necessary to successfully research a way to colonize another planet in or out of our solar system.

And to the girl who said we should worry about earth before we invade another planet.. Face. Palm.

Part of the problems with the general consumption of human beings on earth is that it disturbs the natural ecosystem. Since Mars is basically a dead planet.. there's not very much to destroy. It is actually kind of an ideal situation - but currently, it doesn't matter either way because that kind of advancement is out of our grasp.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Maybe they should be working on curing cancer or idiotism. Something useful.

May some mineral on Mars holds the cure for cancer...
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hahaha

It's great to be interested in space exploration, but I can guarantee that most of the people who read this thread already support funding those kinds of endeavors. We need some kind of viral campaign that will reach the general (and sometimes uneducated) public before there would ever be the kind of funding necessary to successfully research a way to colonize another planet in or out of our solar system.

And to the girl who said we should worry about earth before we invade another planet.. Face. Palm.

Part of the problems with the general consumption of human beings on earth is that it disturbs the natural ecosystem. Since Mars is basically a dead planet.. there's not very much to destroy. It is actually kind of an ideal situation - but currently, it doesn't matter either way because that kind of advancement is out of our grasp.

Actually colonization on mars isn't beyond our grasp, it is something that's definitely planned... except the whole thing is funded by a private corporation and it's a one-way trip.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2154336/New-Mars-One-mission-aims-establish-human-colony-Red-Planet-2023.html
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Maybe they should be working on curing cancer or idiotism. Something useful.
    Oh, or making Pokemon real.
    -wtk

Agreed, that way i can have a dog that breathes fire. lol
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I thought this quote from A Clockwork Orange was appropriate... haha

"It's a stinking world because there's no law and order anymore! It's a stinking world because it lets the young get on to the old, like you done. Oh, it's no world for an old man any longer. What sort of a world is it at all? Men on the moon, and men spinning around the earth, and there's not no attention paid to earthly law and order no more. "