Anyone else just need to lose 10-15 lbs?

Options
12346»

Replies

• jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Also struggling with my las 10 pounds! My diary is open and i'd love any suggestions!
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    hi all! new to MFP and i guess i fall into this category! i'm 5'6" and currently weigh about 128. would love to get down to 119-ish or anything below 120. so not much to lose. i've been as low as 117 but i did that through this crazy super restrictive diet called HCG (yeah, i'm sure you've all heard of THAT diet). anyway, i think somewhere along the way, i've managed to seriously screw up my metabolism so now i'm here trying to do this the right way. and by that, i mean making some major lifestyle changes. my problem is i do not eat enough for fear that i'll gain weight. now i'm understanding that i'm not eating enough period!!

i'd love to make some friends on here. please feel free to friend me. and i'd also like to know if any of you have hit goal, how long did it take you to lose those 10lbs?

thanks in advance for the answers!
  • Autry403
    Autry403 Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm looking to lose 15 more lbs by the end of this year- not really in a big rush for anything. When they said the last 10 lbs were the hardest to lose- they weren't lying! I've been at a plateau for around two months!!!! Haven't moved the scale or lost any inches... This past week I've been eating a little bad, but I'm going to change that next week when I get more food in my fridge that is healthier choices! I try my best to exercise at least everyday for 30 min- I switch between biking and Turbo Jam. I was eating 1200 calories or less for about 4 months. I'm a stay at home wife & when I say I barely get out.. I mean I go outside literally like once a week. So I sit around the house all day with nothing really to do. That 1200 calories a day made me feel hungry in the middle of the night, because I felt like I'm not getting enough. So last night I bumped it up to 1500/day with exercise. I am hoping this well help me get past my plateau! Good luck to everyone & add me if you like. :)
  • vonsay
    vonsay Posts: 31
    Options
    I've lost 8 and looking to lose 14 more. So wait, I'm supposed to eat back the calories I exercise off? So whats the point of burning those calories?? I thought exercise was a bonus to help burn more calories.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've lost 8 and looking to lose 14 more. So wait, I'm supposed to eat back the calories I exercise off? So whats the point of burning those calories?? I thought exercise was a bonus to help burn more calories.

i've read so much about eating back the calories and i don't get it either. i know that MFP sets your daily caloric intake at a deficit already so basically any calories you exercise away are "bonus calories". but this is sort of a dangerous cycle because i could basically exercise all day long and keep earning bonus calories and keep eating those calories.

there's a personal trainer on here who advises his clients to use MFP for tracking but he tells them NOT to log in exercise because of the whole "eating back your calories burned" method. i'd take the same approach but personally i like to SEE proof of my exercise.

i don't really know though...i'm new to this whole thing and after a month, i'll re-evaluate what i'm doing if there's no losses.
  • vonsay
    vonsay Posts: 31
    Options
    yes I noticed the exercise "eat back" thing on my food journal. I have been ignoring it and attempting to eat only 1300. I have been eating about 1300 since July 1st and have gotten used to that number. I have tried for a couple of weeks to have a cheat day but it makes me feel sooo guilty when I do it that I don't think its worth it.
    I also read that cheat days kinda shock your body so it wont get set on a small amount of calories and stop burning.
    There is so much information that I dont know what the heck works for the long term! Ive heard eating a small amount of calories will put the body into starvation mode and then you will lose muscle. But If I'm working out with weights and building muscle (which I am) then how is this possible? arggghh
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have 12lbs to go :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Also struggling with my las 10 pounds! My diary is open and i'd love any suggestions!

I recommend eating all of the calories MFP suggests for you. You are typically under your goal by 300 or more. You need to fuel your body or you risk losing a large % of lean muscle instead of the fat you are looking at losing.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

i've read so much about eating back the calories and i don't get it either. i know that MFP sets your daily caloric intake at a deficit already so basically any calories you exercise away are "bonus calories". but this is sort of a dangerous cycle because i could basically exercise all day long and keep earning bonus calories and keep eating those calories.

there's a personal trainer on here who advises his clients to use MFP for tracking but he tells them NOT to log in exercise because of the whole "eating back your calories burned" method. i'd take the same approach but personally i like to SEE proof of my exercise.

i don't really know though...i'm new to this whole thing and after a month, i'll re-evaluate what i'm doing if there's no losses.

If you are following MFP's caloric intake goal, you should eat the cals back. If you set your cals on your own taking into consideration exercise than don't eat them.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    When I joined here I only had about 15# to drop. I had to keep a small deficit in order to do so. The weight came off "easily" once i figured oht the "sweet spot". kept it off well over a year now.
  • kdecourcey
    Options
    Yes, just aiming to lose another 10 lbs to get to the recommended weight for my height and age. I exercise daily and just looking to get to the next healthy plateau and stay there permanently. Watching my food intake and training for Triathlons. I am a runner but adding the biking and swimming is what allowed me to lose the last 10 lbs. My body just needed me to switch up the exercise. It was used to running and kickboxing and was stuck for a while. Highly recommend biking and swimming as low impact cardio lets you move further without wearing on the joints!