Most embarrassing "fat" moment....

Options

Replies

• SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Too many to count!
    1. Sat in boy friends parent's antique rocker and broke it.
    2. Split Khaki pants at work bending down.
    3. Asked by my sister-in-laws mom when the baby was due (I stopped wearing oversized shirts)
    4. Asked by one of my graduate students if I was pregnant-I said no, I'm just fat... (I was 53 years old !)
    5. Shopping with friends and they ask why I'm not buying any clothes (nothing in my size).
    6. Any time I get on the scale in front of Doctors...

Great stuff since being on MFP!
    1. The maintenance guys in my building started checking me out (I'm 55).
    2. My friends always comment on how much weight I've lost.
    3. I can wear formfitting shirts again without rolls of fat showing.
    4. I don't get embarrased if my husband sees me in the shower...
  • sgoessling
    sgoessling Posts: 119
    Options
    Pictures and bending over
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    Lots and lots of them , doesn't help that my sister is so skinny that she looks like she has an advanced ED but will cheerfully sit and eat entire tubs of ice cream at one sitting , also doesn't help that much of my weight gain has been due to anti-depressants (3 stone in twp months on one of the tablets) and it's mostly out in front so have had lots of 'when are you due' 'oh you look quite slim from the back' and my all time fave from a dr of 'well there's no magic bullet you know' when I had gone in to query whether I could be refereed to the dietician which made me lose my temper (he'd also openly accused me of lying about what I eat)

And yes I've had the 'You'd be pretty if you were thinner' to which I normally say 'You'd be nice if you weren't so ignorant'
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Geez... reading these make my life seem easy.
    I was never really teased much in HS, though MS and elementary school were a bit different, I remember some faintly, but I think I've mentally repressed them. HAH! I remember being called fatty and other unoriginal names by one girl who hated me and much later apologized for it (I still get a sick satisfaction seeing that she's a dog groomer on Facebook now. Hah!)

I never got egregiously overweight until college and after and the worst there was chairs creaking. *shudder* I think then it was more self-beating up. Wanting to cry at the reflection in dressing rooms, pictures tagged on FB, etc.
  • LoneR113
    LoneR113 Posts: 27
    Options
    My daughter's picture of me, whilst texting on my mobile - It was her way of telling me something had to be done! It's on my profile.....
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    Honestly, most of my life has been one big long embarrassing "fat" moment.
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    Geez... reading these make my life seem easy.
    I was never really teased much in HS, though MS and elementary school were a bit different, I remember some faintly, but I think I've mentally repressed them. HAH! I remember being called fatty and other unoriginal names by one girl who hated me and much later apologized for it (I still get a sick satisfaction seeing that she's a dog groomer on Facebook now. Hah!)

I never got egregiously overweight until college and after and the worst there was chairs creaking. *shudder* I think then it was more self-beating up. Wanting to cry at the reflection in dressing rooms, pictures tagged on FB, etc.

Everyone I know on facebook has been given very clear and detailed descriptions of what will happen if they tag photos of me .....
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've been asked if I'm pregnant or when is it due more times than I care to remember. One thing that always sticks in my head and haunts me a bit is when i was 13 out with friends shopping. I didnt really realise I was a lot bigger than my friends at the time and we were on a train with some drunk 40 something men who were learing over my friends and then this big fat one said to me 'Don't worry fatty, i'll *kitten* you' we were 13 years old for christ sake!!!...these men were old enough to be our Dad's and he said it loud enough for everyone to hear. It still makes my skin crawl both from the fact that we were children and also the shame of being called fatty in front of so many people.
  • jentothehen
    Options
    Not necessarily embarrassing, because no one else was around to see... but every guy I've ever dated has ALWAYS had to say something like, "You're so comfortable to cuddle with because you're squishy" or "I'm not normally into bigger girls, but you feel surprisingly good."
  • klabasik
    klabasik Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1. The day I flipped the chair at work.
    2. The day a man harassed me in a restaurant for taking a take out pizza. "Hey fatty, are you going to eat the whole thing??" (pretty awful)
    3. The coworkers who suggest I shop at JCrew (they dont have my size)
    4. My six year old niece who wants to know why my belly is so big if there is no baby in there

..... one day I will have skinny moments.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    One morning I was up making breakfast and my son (3) was sitting there “helping” me. As I was scrambling the eggs my moobs were jiggling around and he pointed at them and goes “Daddy, why are those moving?”… so I decided to do something about it. :laugh:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    1) broke lawn chair
    2) on my way to the restroom in a public place, like restaurant or store, and getting stopped by other women saying I was heading into the wrong one. I'm a guy and apprarently my moobs were so big back in the day, other women thought I was a girl too. :laugh:
  • jentothehen
    Options
    No particularly excrutiating moment, but when I was growing up (have been heavy since I was about 10 years old) I used to get "You would be so pretty if you would just lose the weight" and "You have such a pretty face" comments a lot. At my grandmother's funeral, I gave the eulogy. Right before we got started my Great Aunt came up to me and said, "You look nice, just don't get any bigger." Seriously, at a funeral. What a b!tch.

I know EXACTLY how you feel!!! My family constantly refers to me as being 'solid.' Growing up, my Dad would always say, "At least you won't blow over in a wind storm." My stepmom has consistenly said things like, "You could be really pretty one day. You have such a pretty face." Getting fitted for my wedding gown a few days ago, my grandma felt like it was necessary to SHOW ME how to do sidebends. Like I'd never heard of one. I told her I knew what she was talking about, but she ignored me and got right in front of me and demonstrated. I guess I'm not only overweight, I'm also incompetent!
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It was when I was 7 months pregnant with my first child. I know I had gained a lot of weight and so that I wouldn't get depressed about it, I asked the nurse each time NOT to tell me my weight. Well, this nurse didn't quite hear me and thought I said, "don't say my weight out loud" so she whispered it to me. At first I thought she was joking, and I said, "ooookkkay". Then I realized she didn't hear me and actually just told me my weight and that was how much I really weighed. The pregnancy books/magazines say a woman should gain 25-35 pounds for a typical pregnancy, but I gained 60 in my first pregnancy and then got pregnant again and gained another 20 pounds on top of that. It was embarrassing, because my family and friends watched me gain 80 in just 18 months. I just had no self-control during my pregnancies and now really admire women that can still exercise and eat healthy while pregnant.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wow. Bump.
  • tabata_t21
    Options
    One of the most embarrassing moments I had was when I was returning to my home after a long day at work and suddenly a man plays the horn in his car, I automatically looked out of curiosity and when this guy saw that I looked he shouted loudly "you think I would horn for someone so fat and ugly as you?!". I was not feeling well that day and it made me feel even worse.

Another embarrassing moment was that all the guys I go out, or flirted with me as a way to make a joke to his friends later, or did not want other people to know that we were going out together, because he was afraid of what other people could think of him.

But the most embarrassing moment I ever suffered was when I was at my aunt's house, along with the entire family. All of my family always commented on how I always was fat and I had to learn the cause of the impression that I never cared about it. But this particular day, my cousins ​​thought I was not paying attention to them and began to laugh about how they thought I was ugly and fat. It left me very hurt, because one thing is you hear it from someone who does not know you, is quite another thing to hear these same comments coming from your own family. They already did that in front of me, they still had to do this sort of thing behind my back. I was very hurt by it then and I still get when I remember that day.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My dad always made fun of the "dunlap" stomach (ya know, your stomach dun-lapped over your pants). He's always been a smartass about my weight, and yet he and every other guy wonders why I'm so self conscious about it. I'm just now getting to the point where I'm starting to accept it, though I'm still in the fitness game trying to lose the gut and get in shape, but only because I realize that there are a lot of guys out there who love my body for what it is. And I've realized that I don't have to be stick thin to be better looking then some of the gals from my town. Oh, and every woman has had this happen to them (although mine happened a bit early in highschool!), the horrifying mistake-you-for-being-pregnant question. Yeah, that sucks.
  • SkinnyBeth4Life
    SkinnyBeth4Life Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    In high school, I was moo'd at when I'd walk by. Almost every day.

I also once popped the buttons on my shirt...didn't even feel it. I flashed everyone...for a good 30 minutes.
  • sandiegosummer
    Options
    My mother has been a big woman ever since I can remember. When we would go clothes shopping in elementary school, I would pick things off the rack and her comments would always be along the lines of, "Sorry, baby, that's not the kind of clothing for your body type," or, "You don't have the right body type for that." That stung . I always felt like she could've said it in a different way, especially with her being big (you know, understanding how I felt, or something). She probably DID feel she was saying it nicely, but I was a sensitive kid.

^^THIS!!!! omg this. My mother was never huge but she was always 5-10 lbs overweight and her mother and sisters were very very body conscious (two of them actually had pretty bad ED) so I don't really blame her but she would always say things like this to me. No short sleeves "b/c you probably want to hide your arms" , no short dresses "b/c girls with legs like yours shouldn't wear them" all the time... even when my thighs were 19 inches around!!! ... she gets even worse when I lose weight (but thats a story for another topic)

But like so many others my life has been a series of subtle embarrassments and not so subtle slights...I don't know if it was b/c I was chubby or if b/c i had a chubby girl attitude (aka i am not good enough, i am so fat, i am so ugly...due to the aforementioned parental "encouragement") but in HS and the first bit of college people only wanted to be around me to hit on my friends and in HS my friends liked to have me around to make themselves look better (something I learned when I went back to my hometown after losing some weight) ...perhaps I just choose crappy people to be around....

I had one of those subtle embarrassing moments last night too - I was in a cab coming back from a party with two of my girlfriends who are very thin/fit, pretty, smart and very successful. I normally don't feel badly when I am around them...but one brought along this complete sleaze ball guy who claimed to be a "fashion photographer". Why she wanted to hang out with him is a mystery as he was rude to her and to everyone and was a total drag on the party. Anyways as he left the cab he gave out his card to both of my friends saying "I think you should be models" and didn't even acknowledge my existence. Which wasn't a surprise as he didn't say more than ONE word to me during the evening and wouldn't even look at me when we were introduced. Now that was embarrassing for everyone..
  • sapphirewind
    sapphirewind Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well when I was in middle school I got picked on by boys... until I finally fought back. lol

Most recently when my ex put on my pants and they were too big for him. That sucked....