Who has only 1200 calories per day?

Options

Replies

• bonnt
    bonnt Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I had mine set to 1200 and found that I usually awsn't meeting it, because I was scared to go over. I eat between 1200-1400 cals now. For me, it's not hard and I'm never hungry. It's making the right food choices that allows you to eat more. If you eat tons of salad (lettuce has very few calories as well as any other vegetable), you find yourself full with minimal calories.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Mine's at 1300 (not that much higher), and I try not to go above 1250.

I am not lightly active (desk job) and cannot workout sometimes (heart problem), so for me, I have to do this mostly by controlling the diet.

I limit my carb intake and eat a lot of homecooked meats and veggies. I do eat carbs though (no they aren't evil, just full of calories).
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I had mine at 1200 before and it didn't help me lose weight. I've been on here since Oct 210 and only down 16 pounds, granted thats with taking June/July/Nov/Dec off. In those 2 months breaks I only gained a few pounds each time.Right now I have mine set at 1495 b/c that's what it says to lose a pound a week. The whole time I've been on MFP the most I have lose in a month is 6 pounds and that was last Feb when I went from Curves to Gold's. Now I'm just focused on clean eating and Jamie Eason's 12 week program.

The slower you lose weight the better chance you have to keep it off. Yes this frustrates me when everyone is at there goal weights a year later and I'm not. By this Oct I hope to be down the last at least 16 pounds.
  • lol 1200 is not enough for my breakfast...i believe people are vey impatient and set the calorie deficit really high for themselves. There is a proper formula that determines it for you, I don't the MFP utilizes that because their settings are SUPER low. I had to modify mines manually, its a good thing I know these things, but for the average individual to be undereating is actually not very beneficial to their weightloss.
  • Sixleafclover
    Sixleafclover Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1200, but I'm really short. 4'11".
  • iammelli
    iammelli Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on what you uses your coalories on

i usuallu figure

150 cals for breakfast either porridge/fruit and yogurt/toast and marmite

50-100 call for 11 am snack fruit or ow fat cookies/go ahead bars

200 cals for lunch homemade soup and a slice of bread/ salad and meat/ wrap
    + low fat chc mouse

100 afternoon snak low fat crisps

Dinner 500 cals

evening treat 150
    small galss of wine
    vodka tonic and low fat frozen yogurt
    small choclate bar and diet coke
    bootle of beer

Works for me :)

I also work out 3 times a week a mix of cardio and yoga when i over eat to make anything back
  • arlyn70
    arlyn70 Posts: 55
    Options
    I do...I have 1275...and its brutal...but if this is how I can do it with feeling hungry...I am going to try...

i have a 1600 calories and i take less.. because i drink minimun 2 lts of water not incl.. my coffe milk, or tea.. and honestly i am not hungry at all.. i always under 1600 i take 1200 because water is helping me a lot..
  • mom2jjl
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Juicyrocks4Kelly
    Juicyrocks4Kelly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1000 to 1200 calories a day and exercise with P90X cardio and kenpo workouts every day. I seem to be fine if I fill up on low calorie fruits and vegetables. I think that this is at least possible for me since I used to have an eating disorder at eat around 400-500 cals a day. So this most certainly is a step up for me. I would try to slowly lower your calorie intake. Like start at 2000, then 1800, then 1600, and so on until you feel you are ready for around 1200 a day. Good luck!
  • jacksquaty
    Options
    I weight 265 and am six feet tall and I eat around 1400. Its not hard if you have no carbs. All cravings are gone so there is no reason to eat more than what you need.
  • littlemissmo83
    littlemissmo83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the previous comments in that I think it depends how you spend your calories allowance. I think if you are sticking to a clean diet i.e no processed foods, no wheat/cheese/low fat etc you need a lot of food to fill up the 1200. For me, I have mine set to 1100, however I struggle to eat all of that on some days, but it doesn't mean I'm hungry. I have three meals a day and a snack, manage my full 5 a day and don't cook 95% of everything fresh. I am a creature of habit though, i'll stick to the same few meals in a variety of combinations so I don't get bored.

Typical day
    B: two boiled eggs and a whole grapefruit
    Lunch: Green Salad with cup a soup
    Snack: protein shake
    Dinner: Steamed fish/chicken with salad or steamed greens.
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've just gone back to eating 1200 a day. I have lost 65lbs, but have been stalled for almost a year really! So enough is enough, it's time to get serious again. I lost that 65lbs by sticking to around 1200, so that is what I will do again. I have had a year of maintaining, so I know once I get to my goal I'm not going to pile the lbs back on.

Also having a 1200 target is good motivation to exercise. If I know I am going out and need more calories, or if I fancy a treat, then I have to work for it!
  • slimsdown
    slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    im on 1200 and im 5'8 , i checked a website, cant remember which but you type in bmi and weight and height and it tells you how many caloires you can eat a day to get to your target weight. the more weight you lose the more u drop ur intake. 1200 is plenty if you eat fuller foods or low cal.

i cant live without ..............

bachelors slim a soup tomato- 54 cals
    hartleys sugar free jelly -3 cal
    ready brek porridge - 114 cal
    laughing cow cheese triangles- 50 cal

even eating all that is just 221 caloires!!!!! less than a choc bar
  • anewleaf2011
    Options
    Also having a 1200 target is good motivation to exercise. If I know I am going out and need more calories, or if I fancy a treat, then I have to work for it!

That's exactly it for me. I need to eat a lot more than that so when I see the calories dwindling during the day it makes me stop and go for a walk or get some exercise in so that I can buy back more calories. I also count breastfeeding and any extra cleaning or other activity as exercise so in the end I actually eat an average of 2000 calories, anywhere from 1800 as the lowest up to about 2200.

Plus my staple foods like rice, lentils and fish are low calorie but very filling. I notice when I stick to that and fresh fruit and veggies, I can eat tons of food but as soon as I throw something processed in there, the calories disappear way too fast and I'm still hungry. Lucky for me I love those staples and can happily eat them several times a day.
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The less you weigh the less calories you can consume to lose weight or maintain your weight. I'm at 1200 calories to lose 1 lb a week.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    im on 1200 and im 5'8 , i checked a website, cant remember which but you type in bmi and weight and height and it tells you how many caloires you can eat a day to get to your target weight. the more weight you lose the more u drop ur intake. 1200 is plenty if you eat fuller foods or low cal.

i cant live without ..............

bachelors slim a soup tomato- 54 cals
    hartleys sugar free jelly -3 cal
    ready brek porridge - 114 cal
    laughing cow cheese triangles- 50 cal

even eating all that is just 221 caloires!!!!! less than a choc bar

I like the slim a soup too but was afraid of how much salt was in them? If they are ok I shall have them!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 all last year. Then, this summer, I got an overwhelming hunger and started eating at +2000. Gained 10 lbs. back. Part of it was due to a long road trip (6 weeks) where my daily exercise routine flew out the window, and back pain due to sitting too much that prevented me from getting active again.

Struggling. Trying to drop my cals to at least 1600 over the short term.
  • sanaa4560
    Options
    Hay guys i want to drop 2 lbs a week nd mfp sets my cal to 1200 but i m eating between 900 to 1100 nd i always feel full..btw i m 5 ft 1" and weight 105 lbs want to drop 4 kg more
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    mine are set at 1380 - and I am "Active" I work in a nursing home. Sometimes I am under because I don't eat a lot of meat (like we will have chicken, but i will only eat 1/2 of my chicken and more veggies, i have just never been a big meat eater) I eat a very small breakfast (usually yougurt, maybe a granola bar cuz i just am not hungry first thing in the morning) and I usually don't drink anything but water (soda and stuff really add in calories) sometimes i have a cup of coffee - not too often cuz i don't like it that much, or for a treat i will have a cream soda or something when i'm craving it - usually only water does the trick anymore.
    other times i am over, depending on what i eat, but i do my execises so i'm still under the calories they give with eating back exercise calories. I dunno... i've always eaten this way, so it's not really hard for me. Just before i would eat a lot of candy during the day and I don't do that anymore. I was also drinking mt. dew a bit and I really don't even like it anymore.
  • Jennyprano
    Jennyprano Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    mine is 1200 , im new so add me if you fancy a chat and some meal planning, I need some help.

kit kat for breakfast kind of girl : (