Looking for a new Audiobook for long runs!

Options

Replies

• kristen807
    kristen807 Posts: 361
    Options
    not sure if anyone said this yet, but I enjoyed Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" as well as "The DaVinici Code" I read the books as well as listened to the tapes c:
  • sarahrobin
    sarahrobin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    P.S. I started on the first book of the Dresden files, and logged 70 happy minutes on the treadmill yesterday with it. I kind of wish I could speed up the narration a little bit- I know you can do that on an ipod- but my current phone is a WP7 w/ zune interface- anyone know if you can speed up playback with zune?
    I downloaded Storm Front!! I'm really enjoying it. It's great fun on a run! Thanks!

I'm so glad you are enjoying them! I love them. The first one is a bit slower. They pick up a little as the series goes on. I love how James Marsters reads them. I love the little bits of random humor! I usually listen to them when I'm doing housework. Makes cleaning go much faster!
  • korryno
    korryno Posts: 1
    Options
    I really enjoyed listening to Tina Fey's "Bossypants!" I am also searching for another audiobook, but I don't want to pay a ton!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    P.S. I started on the first book of the Dresden files, and logged 70 happy minutes on the treadmill yesterday with it. I kind of wish I could speed up the narration a little bit- I know you can do that on an ipod- but my current phone is a WP7 w/ zune interface- anyone know if you can speed up playback with zune?
    I downloaded Storm Front!! I'm really enjoying it. It's great fun on a run! Thanks!

I'm so glad you are enjoying them! I love them. The first one is a bit slower. They pick up a little as the series goes on. I love how James Marsters reads them. I love the little bits of random humor! I usually listen to them when I'm doing housework. Makes cleaning go much faster!
    Just finished Storm Front and enjoyed it a lot! Downloaded the second in the series this morning and will start it on my run tomorrow! Thanks again for the suggestion!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Just finished Storm Front and enjoyed it a lot! Downloaded the second in the series this morning and will start it on my run tomorrow! Thanks again for the suggestion!

HOW did you finish it already?! I'm only halfway through, and we probably started around the same time! You must run a LOT! Go you! :flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

HOW did you finish it already?! I'm only halfway through, and we probably started around the same time! You must run a LOT! Go you! :flowerforyou:
    smile. :smile: I ran a bit more than usual this last week, yeah. I finished it about 10 minutes after yesterday's run. Am psyched to start the second one tomorrow!! Finish! It's good!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    hitchikes guide to the galaxy.... series. It makes me laugh.
  • sarahrobin
    sarahrobin Posts: 139 Member
    Options

smile. :smile: I ran a bit more than usual this last week, yeah. I finished it about 10 minutes after yesterday's run. Am psyched to start the second one tomorrow!! Finish! It's good!

Yay! I'm glad you loved it. I was about halfway through the 4th book. My 2 year old somehow managed to delete it. Had to wait for a copy at the library. It finally was available yesterday. I'm very excited to finish it. I love Harry Dresden. He is so funny and weird.
  • JenWhite73
    JenWhite73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love the Harry Dresden books - good mystery. Took me a while to get used to the reader.
    I'm into Zombie ones - love love patient zero, Mark Tufo series (awesome and great mystery), 3 or 4 in the series
    Sharp Objects - this was actually really good and female reader is great
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I jog to anything Jane Austen! Cliche as it is from her work - Pride in Prejudice is my favorite.
    They're the best if you can fine them read with a British accent :)
  • Katmiller73
    Katmiller73 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    listening to the final book (so far) in the Morganville Vampire series.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    The Help was a very good audiobook. I listened to the unabridged version which is 18 hours on my drive from NC to MN and it really made the time go by.

I have been thinking about using audiobooks for my runs so it is nice to see others that do it as well.

I just finished listening to The Help. It was amazing - great audiobook.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Love the Harry Dresden books - good mystery. Took me a while to get used to the reader.
    I'm into Zombie ones - love love patient zero, Mark Tufo series (awesome and great mystery), 3 or 4 in the series
    Sharp Objects - this was actually really good and female reader is great
    I'm on book 3. Still REALLY enjoying the series and glad folks here (sorry, don't remember who!) recommended it. I do have moments where I struggle with the reader's mispronunciation of words. But I like his brooding style.
  • Katmiller73
    Katmiller73 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Because of the multiple recommendations, I started The Dresden Files. Now finishing book 3. Loved the tv series and the books are great also. Highly recommend! (I will also listen to them at work while I'm stocking my delivery rooms so I can go through them pretty quick)
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My favorite book of all time War and Peace (unabridged) :heart:
  • smoster77
    Options
    I just finished listening to WInter of the World by Ken Follett. I played in on audible.com which has an app on my phone--the phone attaches to my bicycle and off I go with my earplugs listening to a long book. This one was quite long and preceded by Fall of The Giants also by Follett. They are great books especially if have a little interest in history. That app with audible.com works great because I can ride my bike for exercise and then go to my car to drive to work, a 30-40 commute and play the same book and this app keeps your place as you move from activity to activity.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    If you might be into surrealist fiction mysteries, I recommend Haruki Murakami's books - specifically Sputnik Sweetheart and The Wind-up Bird Chronicles. The only thing is if you don't listen in long stretches, or listen infrequently, you may have to rewind a few times because the stories weave intricate webs and may get confusing.
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi

I quite like a the Phryne Fisher mysteries they are easy to listen to but still engaging, they all have different names but if you type Phryne Fisher into audible they'll come up. They are mysteries set in Melbourne in the 1920's.

Aside from that not sure, I'm always looking for more suggestions as well so thank you for starting the thread! I've just downloaded the 1st of the Dresden files so I'm looking forward to my run tonight to see how it goes.

Podcasts are another option for shorter runs, I listen to the Jillian Michaels one's (don't judge me she is way better on these than she is on The biggest loser!)
  • gonnasee33
    Options
    I would suggest checking out graphicaudio.net .. they sell some top rate "audio dramas" (yes there is a difference between an audio book and an audio drama) .. Additionally you could checked out some "podio dramas" (pod cast audio dramas) like the "were alive" series ( if your into zombies) . Along the fantasy audio book line I would suggest the Rangers apprentice series by John Flanagan. Msg me if you want some more suggestions .. ive been through quite a few audiobooks/ dramas on my 140 mile round trip commute to/from work
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread!!!
    :)