Embarrassing but help!! Constipated!!

Options

Replies

• Carmentex
    Options
    I've used Metamucil in the past to help with my liver. It is a mild laxative that works great when taken in the morning before a meal. I usually take two tablespoons in a glass of water and that helps to get things flowing. :)
  • lrosenda
    Options
    I do 3 things that keep me very regular. I take 2 tsp a day of high quality fish oil (mostly for the amazing health benefits) metamucil clear and natural in my coffee and a probiotic with my vitamins each day. I have IBS and was going back and forth between diarrhea and constipation. This has totally straightened me out. I also eat between 25 and 45 grams of fiber per day in my diet. I truly believe that your digestive health is key to your overall health!
  • JodieChampoux
    JodieChampoux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have a couple of TBSP of flax oil right off the spoon, by itself. That will sort you out. If this becomes a more chronic issue, consider looking into taking some probiotics and supplementing with magnesium.

One additional benefit of a daily tbsp of flax oil is that it will raise your metabolism. Just by adding that one thing I lost about 20 pounds over a couple of years with the same activity level and food intake.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    psyllium fiber is great all around for your body.. all bran buds by kellogg or metamucil
  • veduffey
    veduffey Posts: 73
    Options
    Try Bob's Red Mill Whole Ground Golen Flaxseed Meal, 2 tsps in your breakfast cereal. I use the following:

1/4 cup cooked Oldfashioned Oatmeal (Quakers)
    1/2 cup mandarin oranges
    1 handfull of chopped walnuts
    Pinch of non-salted sunflower seeds
    1 teaspoon Olive Oil
    1 packet Truvia (sweetner)
    Silk Almond Milk to your taste

Works for me. :flowerforyou:
  • sarahelen1
    Options
    No meds, and I am only in my first week AGAIN of low carb, but that is a thought!!
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    My Dr. reccomended benefiber. I was going over on fiber a day and he knew I was dieting, but the bowels were not quite working right (even getting hemmoroid flare ups ouch!). I just put some benefiber in my coffee in the morning and that is all I use, you can use it up to 3 times a day. Workes like a charm on a daily basis! Good luck!
  • sarahelen1
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas...and i am 40, so I understand!!!
  • sarahelen1
    Options
    Oh my!!! thanks...
  • jenniet123
    Options
    I use a supplement called Natural Calm - it's powdered magnesium citrate that dissolves in water. Does the trick for me!
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I have to do 3 things everyday or I'm in big trouble:
    1. Eat 3 Prunes
    2. Take 2 Citrucel tablets (or any fiber supplements of your choice)
    3. Drink LOTS of Water

And I eat lots of fruit and Veggies in my diet and I stay away from sodas and I try and keep my foods clean as possible.

Feel free to look at my diary (not yesterday! Pool Party and too many Margaritas!) but in general I eat pretty clean. Feel free to friend me if you like.

Sorry to say this but if all else fails you can go to the local drug store and buy a disposable...dare I say it....enema! Sorry, but it does work it you have to...:blushing:

Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Consider adding a magnesium supplement. That will often do the trick.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 oz of prune juice every day to avoid this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I've had this experience also, but I'm 50. I find I have problems digesting grains (gluten sensitive) and too much cheese during the day. If I stick to proteins and veggies, and some fruit, I'm fine. But sometimes I do overdo it and my system rebels. Ugh. One thing that helps is eating curry, turmeric specifically. So next meal time, make it a curry or turmeric and your "problem" will resolve.
    This is me! I can't digest grains worth a crap (no pun intended). I saw GI docs who, of course, recommended more grains.
    For me magnesium supplements help.
    I'll try curry!
  • sarahelen1
    Options
    Oh My Word.... I thought I was replying to each person, I am a newbie!! Thanks everyone, I usually can drink a smooth move tea, but 2 days and NOTHING.... It scares me to eat at this point!! Thanks for all the suggestions!!
  • slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sara, say no to laxatives, but simply get some fibercon and add to your daily intake.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Oh My Word.... I thought I was replying to each person, I am a newbie!! Thanks everyone, I usually can drink a smooth move tea, but 2 days and NOTHING.... It scares me to eat at this point!! Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    Be careful with smooth move, since it contains senna.

If nothing happens, you might need to use senna, or miralax.
    Then focus on prevention.

fwiw, grains plug me up.

so I don't eat a lot of them. My breakfast still contains some great fiber sources. I eat

Trader Joe's - Crunchy Salted Peanut Butter -All Natural, 1 tbsp
    Nutiva - Organic Chia Seeds, 0.5 tbsp
    Nonfat Plain Yogurt 24 oz. Carton, 6 oz
    Blueberries - Raw, 0.33 cup
    Bob's Red Mill - Natural Raw Whole Flax Seed, 0.5 tbsp
    Add Food Quick Tools 265 31 17 16 11 22
    That's 265 calories and 11 grams of fiber. From the seeds and the blueberries.
    And then I take magnesium every morning and every night.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Im telling you eat prunes!!!! They work!
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Constipation often means different things to different people. You don't have to go every day to be "healthy" and "regular." Some people are perfectly happy and comfortable going twice or three times a week. Much less often than that and you probably ought to do something, though.

A few stray thoughts that might be helpful. (You know us nurses are all about regularity....)

Some have found that eating a lot of meat and cheese can stop you up a bit, so you might consider watching your intake of anything that is low- or no-fiber. Which would pretty much be anything from animals.

Increasing physical activity can stimulate bowels to move.

Fiber and fluid will do it. If you are convinced you are including plenty, then an obvious concern should be that there is more going on there than you think. See a health care provider.

A cup or two of warm fluid (tea, coffee, hot water with lemon) will get things going.

Metamucil or any of its generic buddies is great for a number of things--including bulking up the stool, which stimulates the colon to get a move on. Takes a few days to work, doesn't give you cramps or gas (unless you get silly and take more than you should). A good supplement to consume daily or every other day.

Even better (maybe because it comes across like plain old water) is Miralax, which is available over the counter. Last time I looked, it was cheaper to get the generic by prescription, even than buying house brand. This too has to become part of your routine if you are going to use it. It doesn't work fast--it works gently and naturally.

Low back spinal issues can cause constipation--if you have nerve roots that are getting squashed or are impinged on in any way, it can interfere with going.

A large meal can get things going, simply by jump starting peristalsis (the muscular contractions in the digestive system that move things along).

Hope some of this helps....

And don't be embarrassed! Where would we be without the sanitation guys? The colon and kidneys (and for that matter, the liver) are the cleaner uppers of our insides. We need them to work and work well in order to feel our best.
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Smooth move teas are laxatives. You can get dependent on them to the point that if you don't drink them, you don't go. I'd suggest decreasing your daily intake of the smooth move tea gradually, while increasing your fiber and fluid intake, along with exercise.

High fiber foods are often the best ones for weight loss too--a double blessing. (Legumes are great...)