WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2012

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: This is my day with no interruptions so I can get a lot of work done in the yard.....one nice thing about Jake being gone is that I can do less cooking

:flowerforyou: Laura, congratulations on your new grandson

:flowerforyou: Jan, congrats to you on your accumulated smoke free days.......my hubby was a smoker and I remember his struggles until he finally let it go in 2004...some people say it is harder to give up smoking than booze, drugs, or overeating.

:flowerforyou: Amanda, what a blessing it is for you to have that wonderful home gym so cleverly designed by you

:flowerforyou: Linda, what an awesome job you do responding so thoughtfully to everyone....you are fortunate to be able to eat all foods in moderation......I haven't been able to do that and the list of foods that are not allowed in my house gets longer all the time.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, if you hit "post reply" too soon, you can hit "edit" at the bottom of your post and go back and add, subtract, or change your post.

:flowerforyou: M08distel, this thread welcomes all women who are looking for a supportive and encouraging group. I look forward to getting to know you better. You'll find others here with similar backgrounds, successes, and challenges.

:flowerforyou: Robin, the new doghouse sounds great......Bodi and Ritter will love it

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Jane, I'm happy to hear that so much progress has been made with your move.....you are so resilient and accepting of the bumps along the road.

:laugh: :laugh: Maybe I spoke too soon about interruptions......Jake has called three time this morning and now the dogs want to go for another walk.

Barbie from NW Washington

August Resolutions:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning
    *100 Warrior III poses or squats a day
    *17,000 steps a day
    * finish the rock project in the yard
    *Act the way I want to feel
    *Come from a place of love
    *Don’t take things personally
    3076981b97xsiescq.gif
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Been gone for a few days (first trip in our new-used camper) and can"t believe the number of posts I missed!! Have caught up, but am too short on time today to reply to all. Welcome to all the new women. You will love the encouragement and motivation here.
    Laura- Congrats on the new addition to your family! Babies are so much fun!!

We did well for our first trip in our camper. We have a list of the things we forgot to bring and things we really don't need to bring next time. We took MIL and my golden retriever with us. MIL is 90 and has traveled in a travel trailer in the recent past, so was able to give us many hints to make the trip smoother. Sarge (the goldie) has never traveled with us before and was a little confused at first. He is ten and quite set in his ways, but settled down by day 2 and seemed to love it. It was a little tight, but a good time was had by all. We took our kayaks and got in a good morning of paddling. I'm going to try to go back and log in the rest of the food I consumed so that my log will be accurate. I tried to be careful. It will be interesting to see how well I can do without mfp.

I hope all have a great day.

Deb A
  • jjdig
    jjdig Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh here you are! I had been wandering around looking for girls my age+ to hang out with!
    WHEW! Not that I mind the young'un's, but -- well, you guys know - that's why there's this group!
    So I'm pretty new here. Not new to dieting or exercising or all of that. I'm one of those who people
    say "you don't need to diet" but then, they aren't as skilled as camouflage dressing as I am. For me, it's
    been that "last 10 - or 15" battle. SO frustrating to be in the same place, year after year.
    So -- I'm glad to e-meet you guys and look forward to sharing the journey.
    Other stuff - I'm married with 2 boys (13 and 16), I'm 52, I work part time with computers, I like trail running (but
    am currently trying to mend).
    You guys are so inspirational. Fun to read all the stories.
    Judy
  • mommie55
    mommie55 Posts: 23
    Options
    It is Monday and I started the week off with the worst workout of all....mowing a 1 acre lot with 1/2 acre of it being all uphill....I used our old push mower which weighs 70 lbs!! ...what a walk that was!..........Sweated and was smiling the whole time as I watched the calorie counter going up!!!!!......downed a gallon of water in 3 hrs!!.....But I feel as If I really accomplished something.....

I hope all, have a great week and Keep up the great work...you are all an inspiration to me...to Keep moving!!!

Thank you!!!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi! Just located the new thread, now have to run off to work for the afternoon. I mean drive, not run, but I should run, but it's too hot out! :laugh:

Have a great Monday!

:smile: jb
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Me again....totally exhausted from sitting in my office all day LOL. Actually I am feeling very anxious and stressed, like I have lost alal control of my life. There is so much to do and so little time. I feel like I am missing all the fun and joy in life because I am so busy! BLEH@ Hope the rest of you had a successful Monday. TC, Meg
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies!

So far today I've worked out at the gym with 25 cardio on the treadmill and walked the dog twice.I pulled weeds for an hour. I know that there is a lot of discussion all over the place about eating back exercise calories. I've eaten 1227 calories today. My deficit has be at 957. I feel stuffed I'm not hungry so I'm good for the day in my mind. What do you think?
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just a bump to mark my spot. Gotta do some extra exercise tonight. I have Diverticulitis and haven't eaten nuts in years because I was told they could kill me. I found out today if I chew them very slowly and completely I could eat them in "moderation" and I went a LITTLE over board.:huh: Instead of a 1/4 cup I ate a cup so now it's me, Tae Bo and Leslie Sansone.:wink::heart: Love ((((HUGS)))) and prayers, Rose
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can never eat back all my exercise calories. But I'm doing okay without doing that. I always get up to the 1200 I'm supposed to eat though.

Everyone sounds so busy. And I'm impressed with all of you who answer everyone individually. I don't know how you keep track!

It was zumba day. Finally an "exercise" that I like and will do.
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Oh Monday, Monday....yup it was one of those days...every customer had to chat for at least 20 minutes AFTER we had done the "business related" part of the call...I actually checked the calendar looking for the full moon! LOL!:wink:

Had a nice kayak at the lake yesterday. The wind was weird, though and we were on the otherside of the lake, so we paddled back to our side and headed home...we didn't seem to go far but it was a lot of paddling fighting the wind and the current.

This am I did my kettlebells and recumbent bike..I have some gym equipment in my basement as well...I have been exercising on my own for so long I think I would have a hard time in a gym..I also just roll out of bed and get my workout in (about 4 days a week) . I know I don't push myself as hard as an instructor or trainer would but I am moving and this is becoming habit so for me that balances it out.

Laura - congrats on the newest grandson..you look so in love with the new guy...your grandsons are lucky to have you and your dh in their lives!:flowerforyou:

Someday I am going to take notes so I can respond to more than one person...but at this point in the day (after dinner, after logging and catching up on posts) my poor little brain is fried! LOL! :laugh: But I do read all the posts!

Have a good night all..hugs and high fives..we are rocking this journey!
    :heart:
    Jen
  • JJPAL1
    JJPAL1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How do you join this grou? I'm 54 and joined one week ago. My goal is to be fit and fabulous at 55!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated>
  • fbandit14
    fbandit14 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Too late to join??? 50. Love to see the support here!!
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm marking the thread, too. My day was pretty even-keeled until 5pm, then loads of people called the office for the next hour nonstop. Just did an easy 30 minutes on the treadmill at the Y before coming home.

We made a frittata recipe basically out of the Vitamix recipe book when I got home tonight. DH likes more add-ins than it called for, so we added in. That, a salad and some steamed veggies was dinner. I even have enough calories left for a bit of frozen yogurt tonight, since lunch was a yogurt and fresh fruit. DH is being very conscientious about grocery shopping and keeping the nutrition in mind and seems to be joining me, at least food prep wise! (Good, since he is diabetic.)

Tomorrow will probably be a late work night, so I need to get up and walk early before work I think. We'll see if that happens!
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    So, what are your hobbies, other than logging / messaging on MFP? I've seen mention of gardening, knitting and quilting, so far. I also knit, crochet and quilt -- at a very basic level, do cross stitch, gardening, and love to bake. (I don't bake much anymore.) I only seem to read a lot when I travel for some reason.

So what about you?

Gail
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i can't begin to tell y'all how encouraging it is to read your messages and posts! thanks for this site! i hope that some day soon i can share a report that says i LOST weight! :smile:
    or that i made an exercise goal :smile:
    but for right now, i'm just glad to be starting OVER, and that i've met y'all! :happy:

take good care of yourselves, and we have to remind each other that we ARE WORTH IT!! :heart:

who knows, i may even learn to like drinking water..... :drinker:

try to share a little love today. :heart:

thanks again, janie :flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    M08distel - of course you are more than welcome to join in here.

Kathy - Woo Hoo on the weight! That's fantastic!

Well, the electrician had an emergency so he didn't come here today. But the guys put in the conduit for the electric, got the pumps hooked up, a lot of the piping. So tomorrow should be interesting -- the electrician here and the inspector.

Robin - what a deluxe doghouse you're building.

Have to make this REAL short. Jessica is coming here and I'm supposed to take her to the airport tomorrow. We'll need to leave around 2:30 tomorrow. So I need to get to bed.

Did 40 min of yoga, then an hour of the extreme pump class, went to the store to get ice for the water cooler for the workers, came home, then went to do 5 games of bowling, went to the mall and found a pair of pants (they have so many 10's and 12's, very few 6's), came home and saw all the guys did, had dinner, then went to play mahjongg (maj'd twice). Now making something for me to eat tomorrow before we go.

Welcome everyone new!

Tonight a gal invited me to a game night at her church. I'm hoping to go to mahjongg tomorrow, this gal came here and her house is real close to where we used to play. Somewhere along the line I really need to put a stop to all this running around.

Take care everyone, and have a great evening. Sorry this is so short.

Michele
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Too late to post tonight. Just marking my spot.

Goodnight everyone!
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Whew! What a lot of reading - make that skimming - catching up with all the posts. I've been here, there, etc. Things will stay busy for the next couple of weeks then I'll have some time to stay home.

I've missed you all. As usual, not logging what I was eating has NOT been my friend. Back at it today.

Barbara, I love being reminded of my SVQ (Sister Veggie Queen) title. It's time to start living up to it! I had a good breakfast of fruit and yogurt this morning. Lunch was pretty good too. Still haven't eaten dinner. (It's 9:30!) I'll keep it light. :wink:

My folks are doing better. My dad's still recovering from his fall...at 90, a fall is nothing to sneeze at.

I see so many old friends here, hello and hugs to everyone. (And, Amanda, thanks for wondering.) Then there are the new folks. Oh my goodness. A lot of women have discovered what a great site this is. (And thanks to Barbie for keeping it going so faithfully.)

Speaking of Barbie, wanted to let you know that I made your strategies the background on my desktop so I'll see them first thing. The first one, "Stop buying bad food...if it's in the house, it's in the mouth," really hit home with me.

Dixie, you have been on my mind ever since I read about your husband. You have a wonderful spirit. I admire your strength and your love for your husband - and his for you. :heart:

Someone mentioned the food police. (Sorry I can't make this more personal - my memory, urgh!!) I have strong feelings on the subject. Weight and what and how much we eat has been the most talked about subject in my family. My mom and dad are, frankly, obsessed with it. As you can imagine, this doesn't make it easy.

When I was losing weight so consistently, I got nothing but positive feedback. I reveled in it. Now that I'm bouncing around (I refuse to change my ticker weight until I can put a minus number in there), my weight, what I've learned or not learned, etc., etc. is a big topic.

I finally told my mom we didn't use the "n" word for black people, we didn't use the "k" word for Jewish people, so quit talking about how fat people were. Golleee. I should feel guilty for saying such strong words to my 86-year old mom, but enough is enough.

I also told her that I've been struggling with eating for more than 50 years. Learning new habits is not an overnight thing. To be fair, she's never had to worry about her weight (maybe I should say, she's never NEEDED to worry about it. She HAS worried about it nevertheless.)

Diane, good luck with the contest. I just gave you my vote. I empathize completely with being a sugar addict. It takes just 2 days to get on a better path. But those 2 days. Oh my.

I'm still not able to walk any distance without my hips giving me grief but I've been going to water aerobics with a friend (my first friend in the neighborhood!) when we were both available the last couple of months. We'll switch over after Labor Day to a FitQuest class that's held locally.

The FitQuest class is described as, "a health and fitness program that emphasizes strength, conditioning, flexibility and fall prevention for older adults." The class is led by a husband/wife team. She's 69. He's 77! I've heard great things about the class. I hate to be described as, "older," but, as the class is geared for those over 50 (and I'm 64) I guess I qualify! Dang.

I ordered a book from Etsy that I'd had as a kid. It's called The Contented Little P@ssy Cat and describes other animals asking Abner why he is so contented. I'd forgotten the storyline and was tickled to read that, after much thought, Abner said,

"I really think I'm always happy because I never feel sorry about what happened yesterday nor do I worry about what might happen tomorrow."

With that, I'll say goodnight.

:heart:

Mimi SVQ

p.s. MFP censored the title of the book so I've gone back in and edited. You can probably figure it out. The author could have used "Kitty Cat" in the title but I guess that wasn't an issue in 1949 when it was written. :laugh:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

SMVQ - Mimi, it's always good to hear from you!

Robin - I keep meaning to mention, Ritter is the surname of my DD'S German boyfriend. I always think of that when I see your gorgeous hounds!

Meg - London is getting back to something approaching normal now, whatever that is. The school holidays are in full swing, so the tubes are emptier in the morning rush hour, which means we get more chance to get a seat. It always seems like a small victory when we can sit. My problems is that I tend to fall over a lot when I have to stand on the tube - apart from when it's so packed that you can't possibly move because you're squished in like sardines!

I had a bad evening yesterday. I couldn't eat and just had to flop on my bed for a couple of hours - felt sick and dizzy. It's much better this morning and I'm trying to drink more.

Today is a run up and down stairs day at work, so I'd better get cracking.

Love to you all.
    Amanda x
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Bizarre event of the day. Just popped out from the gallery to buy some grapes. About 3 steps down the road when I was stopped by this young Japanese girl who said, 'Excuse me, I'm a fashion student and you look amazing - do you mind if I take some photos of you'. I stood there all embarassed while she snapped away, including close ups of my handbag and my bright purple fingernails. All I could think was, she's short and I need photos taken from above! xx

P.s. The grapes are yummy x