anyone else with an eating disorder?

Options
124»

Replies

• SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If you have an active ED MFP is the very last thing you need.

Get off the site. Deactivate your account and get help because you're doing NOTHING but hurting yourself.

I'm in recovery from Anorexia. I have been for many years but I still have relapses. This is the firs time in my life I've lost weight in a healthy way. I use this site to make sure I get at least 1200 calories a day. And it's really dangerous for me, even someone who hasn't had a relapse in YEARS and has gone through therapy.

I'm not kidding. The "support" you'll find on here from people who are active in their eating disorder is NOT going to help you. And the food journal and if every day were like to day, calorie counting etc will only cause the obsession to get worse. I'm serious. Got off the site, talk to your parents or your husband or whoever is important in your life and get help.

If you don't you could end up in the hospital after a heart attack or you could even kill yourself. I can't stress how serious this is. If you're truly headed down the path of anorexia (and not just a crash diet, which in itself isn't really safe) then you need psychological and medical help.

OP- You didn't specify so this isn't really directed at you unless anorexia is what your'e referring to. I think this site IS good for overeating or binge-eating but those of you who are anorexic should REALLY not be on here. And if you're ENCOURAGING that in other people...and not encouraging recovery...you are so incredibly sick.
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that I have one. Until the past 5 months, I have never once ever eaten normally. Mostly I over-ate. I could make a lot of excuses about a horrible childhood, but in the end, I chose to put food in my mouth. It was like a damned drug and was often the only thing that made me feel better.

Then when I got to college instead of eating too much, I ate too little. I ate perhaps 700 calories a day and went running for miles and miles. I lost a lot of weight, but was very very ill.

After I had children, I went back to over-eating again. And now I'm finally for probably the first time ever losing weight in a controlled, healthy manner. But I still always feel like I'm right on the edge of the cliff, poised to fall off.

I'm so sad that so many of us struggle with this.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If you have an active ED MFP is the very last thing you need.

Get off the site. Deactivate your account and get help because you're doing NOTHING but hurting yourself.

I'm in recovery from Anorexia. I have been for many years but I still have relapses. This is the firs time in my life I've lost weight in a healthy way. I use this site to make sure I get at least 1200 calories a day. And it's really dangerous for me, even someone who hasn't had a relapse in YEARS and has gone through therapy.

I'm not kidding. The "support" you'll find on here from people who are active in their eating disorder is NOT going to help you. And the food journal and if every day were like to day, calorie counting etc will only cause the obsession to get worse. I'm serious. Got off the site, talk to your parents or your husband or whoever is important in your life and get help.

If you don't you could end up in the hospital after a heart attack or you could even kill yourself. I can't stress how serious this is. If you're truly headed down the path of anorexia (and not just a crash diet, which in itself isn't really safe) then you need psychological and medical help.

This is so true. If you are in the throes of an ED, and you have not taking enormous strides out of your ED (therapy, self awareness, etc.), then counting calories here is only going to make it worse. Please, please, please seek help if you are struggling with this - there is NO SHAME is asking for professional help.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I know the pain you're going through. If you (any of you) want to friend me I'd be happy to accept. I could use the support too from ppl with EDs.

I'm sending you a friend request if you don't mind :)
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Please remember even if you have anorexia it can manifest in different ways. I recently came home from an intense outpatient program and was told to use this site to help me balance intack with my exercise. I however am a little different I never counted calories and my body image distortions were the opposite. I saw beyond skinny. I am still working with a therapist and nutricianist and they are helping me with this. I do believe it can help but I do believe if you are counting calories and have not or are not getting help from someone professional that yes indeed you could easily go farther downhill since most who are anorexic do see themselves as needing to lose weight.:blushing:
  • WeatherGirl88
    WeatherGirl88 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have one anymore. I've lost fifteen pounds within the past six months-- and I didn't even have 15 pounds to loose. My parents have confronted me a few times about it, telling me that I look "gross" and "disgusting" but... for some reason that just doesn't help. Nothing helps. I was at the doctor's the other day and they told me to eat more but I just can't push myself to make the choices that I should. I don't know. I'm not *starving* myself-- I still eat- probably about 1700 calories on a normal day. But I've lost weight eating that- I'll walk ten of fourteen miles on an average day, and I'm 5'9'' with high metabolism so... those cals don't go too far.

I joined this site because my doctor told me to, but in part-- it's nice to be able to relate to other people. No one around me understands; all of my friends are over weight and a lot of my family members are, too. I guess that I just don't want to have to struggle against that. I feel so guilty when I choose something high calorie, or eat wheat/ grains. It isn't good. But it's so, so hard to push myself away from living off of vegetables.
  • mademoiselleariel
    Options
    :indifferent: unfortunatly..
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Im in recovery from bulimia. I suffered for many years, dropped a lot of weight and lost a few friends along the way. I honestly look back on that time and it feels like a different person, I was so lonely and angry. Just feeling like a failure all of the time.

From this I have been left with various digestive issues, but I feel lucky I managed to get help when I did.
    As many other people have mentioned, it is not wrong to ask friends, family, doctor etc for help. Its a hard thing to battle on your own.

I am a lot more on track now, in a very supportive relationship with a healthy guy who supports me as best I can.

My main problem at the moment is with portion control and the odd sneaky binge. I havent purged for a couple of years, but sometimes the urge is so strong - Im not sure if that will ever go away.

Anyway Im currently trying to loose a bit of weight, but mainly just live a healthy life.

Anyone in a similar situation, please add me, its always good to have support from someone who understands : )
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    currently strugging like ednos </3
    feel free to msg or add me you guys, we can support eachother :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I was anorexic about 8 years ago, when I starved myself down to 86 lbs. I had such a warped view of my body that I still thought I would look better with a few more pounds off. When I went to the doctors and saw from my growth chart that I was severely underweight, I knew that there was something wrong and that I needed to trust my doctor and make myself eat more. Of course a lot of it had to do with perfectionism; it shifted from me wanting to be perfectly thin to not wanting my family to think that I had some kind of disorder (ha!). My mom kept track of my meals, but MFP would have been a great educational tool for helping me know what caloric intake was appropriate.

I'm happy to say I'm fully recovered and now trying to lose some weight the healthy way. I hope you'll all be able to look back like me and see how far you've come.
  • NaomiiELLENW
    Options
    I have been bulimic now for two years. Feel free to message me, it's nice to be able to talk to someone about this kind of stuff.