VS "Love Your Body" Commerical Rant

Options
Dear Victoria's Secret: I saw your "Love your Body" commercial several times last night on TV. It's a nice sentiment, really. But when you stopped carrying my size because you only wanted to market to a smaller crowd and all your models have the exact same body type, I doubt the sincerity of the statement. So is my body only worth loving if I can fit into your stuff? Of course not. What they probably mean is that I'm to love their bodies and not my own. I'm starting to think that even when I can fit into their stuff, I probably still won't shop there as they left a real bad taste in my mouth. Tastes like hypocrisy. /end rant :/

Replies

• Shayzeepoo
    Shayzeepoo Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love the dove one... I have never been able to fit in VS anything!
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    agreed! i see that commercial constantly! they also don't carry my bra or underwear size, they used to though!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I always liked the Hanes Her Way commercials because every one that I recall seeing featured shapely, athletic women.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Make something in my size that makes ME look MY best and I will love your products.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps or not, but was a size 14 at my biggest, and that was a Small.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

I love the dove commercials. Although they stopped airing them though. Probably realized no one was buying their products because they were busy feeling good about themselves. Can't have that now can we? :laugh:
    agreed! i see that commercial constantly! they also don't carry my bra or underwear size, they used to though!

Last night was the first (and fifth time) I saw it. It was really starting to get under my skin and I had to rant about it. :P
    I always liked the Hanes Her Way commercials because every one that I recall seeing featured shapely, athletic women.

I don't see those commercials anymore either. Seems like you are only allowed to use skinny women in commercials nowadays. :(
  • Erisad
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Make something in my size that makes ME look MY best and I will love your products.

I know right? Frederick's of Hollywood has my size. Too bad it's like 2 hours away. :(
    Not sure if this helps or not, but was a size 14 at my biggest, and that was a Small.

Um, I'm a size 16 and I wear an XL panty and 40C bra. Although I'm not sure if I'm wearing them too big or not. I might be. Sooo yeah, I may have different proportions. >.>
  • vishk2809
    vishk2809 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    dove's 'real beauty' campaign was exactly the same...ummm, yeah. dove? you sell wrinkle and cellulite-firming creams. so its okay to love my *kitten*...just not the FAT on it. or it's okay to love my eyes but OH GOD are those crow's feet?
    just a bunch of good PR is what it is, and a big load of crap too.

also in the vs fashion show, did anyone else laugh at the irony of katy perry performing her "be yourself" anthem "firework" while those models blew kisses at the camera? anyone?
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I went into Victoria Secret to be fit for a new bra... I had shopped there for years, even at my heaviest I could fit into their largest cup size... I went in, she measured me and then said, "Oh honey, we don't sell YOUR SIZE here anymore..." I was mortified and completely embarassed... Needless to say, even when I get back down to "THEIR SIZES" I won't be shopping there.... Just awful...
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Wow, they're getting that bad are they? I've just been mad that I can't get cute bras in my size. If it isn't a C cup or smaller, it is nude, black or white. I found cute ones online that I ordered in my size and my boobs are hanging out of the cups and I had to lose 2 inches to fit the band that they measured me out to fit into.

Problem is, I have yet to find a place to shop for bras and haven't been fitted in ages...
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    VS is right up there with Cosmo and Glamour and the like (imo, of course). They tell you they want you to feel good about yourself, but they don't. They want you to hate yourself so you'll buy whatever they're pushing. If they really wanted you to love yourself they'd make bras for more than one body type.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree. Why can't they show fit women or average women? I have no problem with a thin woman when that's just her natural shape, but this is the modeling industry...there's nothing natural or healthy about most of their bodies.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Same, I like those women because they have feminine bodies that are also athletic looking. "Curvy" shouldn't be synonymous with "fat"
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I loved the dove one, too...until I realized that while running that campaign in the U.S, Unilever (Dove's parent company) was heavily marketing dangerous skin bleaching products in Asia. They continue to do so.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I used to get ticked off in college b/c I have no chest, and their bras didn't even start in my size. Apparently you had to have medium to large ta-tas to even qualify. I did enjoy the years of the "water bras" though, I have to say -- actually made me look like I had something w/out being ridiculous. But the rest of the stuff...?! Nope, doesn't fit a normal curvy woman.

And rant AWAY. :drinker: I agree w/everything you've said -- the only way to keep us buying, it seems, is to tell us we're not good enough without product A, B or C (or all 3). Sucks. And for once I'd like to see an ad that's supposed to be a little sexy, but where the woman does NOT have implants.
  • Erisad
    Options
    dove's 'real beauty' campaign was exactly the same...ummm, yeah. dove? you sell wrinkle and cellulite-firming creams. so its okay to love my *kitten*...just not the FAT on it. or it's okay to love my eyes but OH GOD are those crow's feet?
    just a bunch of good PR is what it is, and a big load of crap too.

also in the vs fashion show, did anyone else laugh at the irony of katy perry performing her "be yourself" anthem "firework" while those models blew kisses at the camera? anyone?

Yeeeah, they can't promote self esteem and expect to sell product. It just doesn't work.

I never watch the VS fashion shows. They make me angry and guilty for having the audacity to eat solid food.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Wow - at 14 I was a large (just barely).
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to fit into ANYTHING Victorias Secret since freshman year of high school. Have you seen their suposed "D" cup bras..they are so far from an actual D cup..it is ridiculous.

Frederick's of Hollywood doesn't have my size either..at least not the last time I looked but at least I know they are made for curvy women. Women are SUPPOSED to have curves. Our bodies are made that way. I love my "dangerous curves" (as my friends call them)..I want them to get a little smaller but ultimately my shape ROCKS!!! I am not an hour glass...I am more like a 2 or 3 hour glass..but the shape remains....

I buy my bras from Cacique...and LOVE them!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    "Oh honey, we don't sell YOUR SIZE here anymore..." I was mortified and completely embarassed...

I'm not sure what you wanted her to say if she's just a salesperson and the store doesn't actually carry your size.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    VS is right up there with Cosmo and Glamour and the like (imo, of course). They tell you they want you to feel good about yourself, but they don't. They want you to hate yourself so you'll buy whatever they're pushing. If they really wanted you to love yourself they'd make bras for more than one body type.

Exactly! The magazines are so frustrating. If they want to show you that any body shape/size can be sexy then why do they always use the "perfect" bodied models???

A few years ago I was into Ready Made mag and they had someone write in about how they only used skinny models and from then on they used all different shaped models. I really respected them for that.