VS "Love Your Body" Commerical Rant

Options

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I agree. Why can't they show fit women or average women? I have no problem with a thin woman when that's just her natural shape, but this is the modeling industry...there's nothing natural or healthy about most of their bodies.

I know right? Get some Olympians or other athletes in your lingerie or something. At least then there would be some variety.
    VS is right up there with Cosmo and Glamour and the like (imo, of course). They tell you they want you to feel good about yourself, but they don't. They want you to hate yourself so you'll buy whatever they're pushing. If they really wanted you to love yourself they'd make bras for more than one body type.

Ugh Cosmoooooo. I read those for a laugh. Their advice tends to be toxic and slightly dangerous. I feel bad for the folks that take them seriously. >.<
    Wow, they're getting that bad are they? I've just been mad that I can't get cute bras in my size. If it isn't a C cup or smaller, it is nude, black or white. I found cute ones online that I ordered in my size and my boobs are hanging out of the cups and I had to lose 2 inches to fit the band that they measured me out to fit into.

Problem is, I have yet to find a place to shop for bras and haven't been fitted in ages...

Yeah they are. I'm a 40C or 40D if they run small. I always have to try bras on and it's frustratiiiiing. I lost 60 pounds and am still wearing the same bras. I guess that's a good thing though. Hooray for ta-tas! :laugh:
    I went into Victoria Secret to be fit for a new bra... I had shopped there for years, even at my heaviest I could fit into their largest cup size... I went in, she measured me and then said, "Oh honey, we don't sell YOUR SIZE here anymore..." I was mortified and completely embarassed... Needless to say, even when I get back down to "THEIR SIZES" I won't be shopping there.... Just awful...

Oooooo, I'd be so mad. I would have demanded to speak to their manager. They used to give me snide looks for looking in there, after 60 pounds they're like, "Are you sure you aren't a large? They are quite stretchy." If I gotta squeeze into it or stretch the fabric, it doesn't fit. Ugh. >.<
    I used to get ticked off in college b/c I have no chest, and their bras didn't even start in my size. Apparently you had to have medium to large ta-tas to even qualify. I did enjoy the years of the "water bras" though, I have to say -- actually made me look like I had something w/out being ridiculous. But the rest of the stuff...?! Nope, doesn't fit a normal curvy woman.

And rant AWAY. :drinker: I agree w/everything you've said -- the only way to keep us buying, it seems, is to tell us we're not good enough without product A, B or C (or all 3). Sucks. And for once I'd like to see an ad that's supposed to be a little sexy, but where the woman does NOT have implants.

The beauty and fashion industry is sooo destructive to a woman's self image. I'm not immune to it either. I wear make up whenever I go out, unless it's to the gym. Then to heck with it! :laugh:
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Also, I get sick of hearing what a "real" woman is on this site and that "women are supposed to have curves." Women are supposed to be healthy... bottom line. I don't support either being underweight or overweight. Love your body, but love it enough to make it a healthy one. And that's all I'm going to say anymore.
  • melissalwhitley
    melissalwhitley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You know what? That really is BS. I'm tired of the VS commercials too. Yes, love your body when you look like one of these graphically enhanced models... I am an avid VS brand wearer... however, I do believe I will change that now.

On that note, I need a new place to find running sports bras... And by good, I mean, nothing moves when I'm running (and I'm a 34C). Any suggestions?
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thread full of women upset that their exact body type isn't represented in every single commercial

No, more exhausted of seing the same exact size 0-2 body type.

I don;t really give a rats a** about commercials, I don't even watch much tv..

Some people DO need to realize, in the " fashion" world, size 0-2 will ALWAYS be glorified and shown. It's what they use to model their products. it just is what it is..

Torrid, Lane Bryant, Avenue, Dress Barn..just to name SOME.. are all plus sized and have wonderful clothing/bra's... check them out.
  • lanamyl
    lanamyl Posts: 3
    Options
    They did the same thing to me, "oh dear, we don't carry that size. You should try Lane Bryant upstairs." I could have smacked that lady. But she was so thin I probably would have broken her in half. Will never shop VS again. I love Soma intimates, they have room for all my curves!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Why do we think that retailers should have to tailor to us at every size? VS obviously found that they are more profitable if they only produce a certain range of sizes. It isn't a personal insult, it's just business. Don't tie your self-satisfaction to a marketing ploy.
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A store picks the market where they can make the most money. They are a business... their goal is to make money, not make you feel better about yourself. I have the same issues with being on the opposite end of the spectrum, having a flat chest. I buy their underwear but if I boycotted every store just because they didn't carry my bra size I'd hardly have any place to shop. Also, the women in the commercials aren't extremely thin, they look pretty healthy for being models.

If you don't like VS then look at http://bounce.titlenine.com/ They support pretty much everyone.

This.

They don't make my size either- I've got a very small band size. And one size fits most for panties is a big joke- I'll have a string hanging down 3 inches from my crotch. Should I be upset about it? They are there to make money, plain and simple. If they don't want to cater to a particular market, well...it's nothing personal.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Also, I get sick of hearing what a "real" woman is on this site and that "women are supposed to have curves." Women are supposed to be healthy... bottom line. I don't support either being underweight or overweight. Love your body, but love it enough to make it a healthy one. And that's all I'm going to say anymore.

Seriously

If your self-esteem is damaged by seeing commercials with size 0-2 models, maybe you should spend some more time outside
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You know what? That really is BS. I'm tired of the VS commercials too. Yes, love your body when you look like one of these graphically enhanced models... I am an avid VS brand wearer... however, I do believe I will change that now.

On that note, I need a new place to find running sports bras... And by good, I mean, nothing moves when I'm running (and I'm a 34C). Any suggestions?

http://bounce.titlenine.com/

If you don't like VS, don't shop there, problem solved.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    549646_347980208616687_1231201464_n.jpg

Honestly...

BOTH ads, are airbrushed..so, does it even matter.
  • secretlobster
    Options

This.

They don't make my size either- I've got a very small band size. And one size fits most for panties is a big joke- I'll have a string hanging down 3 inches from my crotch. Should I be upset about it? They are there to make money, plain and simple. If they don't want to cater to a particular market, well...it's nothing personal.

Exactly... I'm an AA, I can't shop at VS because they don't carry my size. I need advice, should I a) bomb the company HQ or b) shop at another store?
  • melissalwhitley
    melissalwhitley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah... the bottom pic is definitely hotter. Because its real.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Yeah... the bottom pic is definitely hotter. Because its real.

You don't think they photoshopped the cellulite out?

Are the VS models androids then, you think?
  • kristin1493
    kristin1493 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thread full of women upset that their exact body type isn't represented in every single commercial

This. Not every store is for every person.
  • secretlobster
    Options

http://bounce.titlenine.com/

If you don't like VS, don't shop there, problem solved.

I love them!! Prices comparable to VS, and tailored to athletic women :)
  • Discogirl15
    Options
    Amen sister. Amen. I HATE VS!!!!:devil: :grumble: :noway:
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    THIS
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Why do we think that retailers should have to tailor to us at every size? VS obviously found that they are more profitable if they only produce a certain range of sizes. It isn't a personal insult, it's just business. Don't tie your self-satisfaction to a marketing ploy.

This^^ But I will admit I shop there...only place I will buy my undergarments so I am a bit bias. My mom is a full figure woman and she can buy bras there she just has to shop their online store. No company has to carry everyone's size that is just not logical. It is also NOT just a "big" girl thing. There are plenty of small chested women out there that cannot not shop VS, perhaps they are in between sizes or just too flat to fit their smallest size...did anyone think of that before just going to town with the VS hating?
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I love VS! Their bras and panties are the only thing that I wear. I wouldn't stop shopping there just because they use thin models just like every other clothing store.

The only time I was bitter about it was when I was borderline overweight. Because I was insecure with myself I hated marketing. Now I really don't care at all.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I wish they would bring back the show "How to Look Good Naked." There was a very short run of it in the U.S. with Carson Kressley as the host, and I occasionally will see a rerun of a BBC episode with Gok Wan. That's the sort of thing women need to see more of to combat the self-loathing messages bombarding them from all the other ads and shows.