Replies

• IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    9a9esbo
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    And this one is meant for the OP: This is the second time (that I am aware of) that you started an entire thread to complain about VS. Seriously, get over it already!

It's been a while since I started the other one though and I considered not starting this one because of it but I just wanted to get my opinion out there since it was about the ad more than the store. So am I not allowed to speak my mind just because I mentioned it before? Where is that in the MFP rules? You don't have to read this thread if you don't want to, I'm not forcing people to read it. Ugh. :/

Feel free to speak your mind but honestly you need to learn to separate marketing from self worth if this gets to you so bad. And I am just as entitled to speak my mind as you are.

Honestly, with the frame I have, I'll never be thin so the odds of me ever being able to look like those on TV is pretty much impossible. And since VS is the only lingerie store in the area, I don't really have a lot of options if I wanted to get sexy lingerie. So I gotta settle for the ones in department stores as they are the only ones that carry my size. Hopefully when I move (within the next year or so) I'll be closer to other lingerie stores so it won't bother me as much. >.<

Same lame excuses as last time so I'll give you the same advice a bunch of people did on the last thread.

You clearly have the internet. Take your measurements, buy online. It's what I do.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Dove's campagins, at all. I get what they're trying to do but the whole "real women have curves" thing that they're pimping out is vomitus. Real women have vagina's, period.

Lol but they can't sell product with a slogan like that. Unless they're selling tampons or pads.
  • neh310
    neh310 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have not seen the commercial. I went into my local VS store 2 months ago and bought a bra - 40D - and it fits perfectly. That is with my one breast being a lot (seemingly to me) larger than the other. On the other hand, the panties (sz L) do not fit at all. Well unless I want to squeeze into them which is not cute and not comfortable. I can fit into Large pajamas from VS - but not their clothes. My only point is that not everyone is one size fits all. Not every last sz 16 person fits into the same clothing the same way. For me, seeing something I want to wear but can't fit into serves as a sort of inspiration, not something to be mad about. I have 8 sz 16 jeans in my closet, and only 5 of them fit well (the rest are a little snug) but sz 18 jeans are normally too big and not flattering anymore. I'm sure that my whole body can be in between sizes at different times. :bigsmile:
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Completely agree!! And no, it's not that I want them to carry huge stuff for obese women. Its the fact that they are very clear about the narrow range of what they consider acceptable, especially in their physical stores. You can get a much wider range of sizes shopping on their website than you can in the store.

Oh, and this comment:
    "Thread full of women upset that their exact body type isn't represented in every single commercial."

NO. That is not the issue (although maybe it is for some people). Have you seen all the VS models? They are all pretty much exactly the same: very thin. All of them. No exceptions. They even think Kate friggin' Upton is too fat (excuse me, I mean "curvy") to represent their brand. So no, I'm not upset that my exact body type is not represented. But I do get upset that they preach "love your body" but then the only bodies they show are skinny. Pretty contradictory.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add. I thought this was posted in chit chat, fun and games......
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    And this one is meant for the OP: This is the second time (that I am aware of) that you started an entire thread to complain about VS. Seriously, get over it already!

It's been a while since I started the other one though and I considered not starting this one because of it but I just wanted to get my opinion out there since it was about the ad more than the store. So am I not allowed to speak my mind just because I mentioned it before? Where is that in the MFP rules? You don't have to read this thread if you don't want to, I'm not forcing people to read it. Ugh. :/

Feel free to speak your mind but honestly you need to learn to separate marketing from self worth if this gets to you so bad. And I am just as entitled to speak my mind as you are.

Honestly, with the frame I have, I'll never be thin so the odds of me ever being able to look like those on TV is pretty much impossible. And since VS is the only lingerie store in the area, I don't really have a lot of options if I wanted to get sexy lingerie. So I gotta settle for the ones in department stores as they are the only ones that carry my size. Hopefully when I move (within the next year or so) I'll be closer to other lingerie stores so it won't bother me as much. >.<

Same lame excuses as last time so I'll give you the same advice a bunch of people did on the last thread.

You clearly have the internet. Take your measurements, buy online. It's what I do.

This may come across like I am a B*tch, but why do you sound like you are almost angry with her?! LOL.. chill out.

Not everyone likes to order their clothing online. I KNOW I DON'T because nothing EVER fits right, I Need to try everything on.

That being said, you can always return it if it doesn't fit, but it's a long tedious process.
  • neh310
    neh310 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Dove's campagins, at all. I get what they're trying to do but the whole "real women have curves" thing that they're pimping out is vomitus. Real women have vagina's, period.

Lol but they can't sell product with a slogan like that. Unless they're selling tampons or pads.

HA HA this made me laugh right out loud!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Yeah... the bottom pic is definitely hotter. Because its real.

You don't think they photoshopped the cellulite out?

Are the VS models androids then, you think?

Everyone knows that VS airbrushes and photoshops the snot out of their model's photos. If the bottom is airbrushed it at least represents average women or a VARIETY of shapes and sizes, all beautiful.. not a fantasy of what real people look like.
  • Erisad
    Options

So it's an excuse that I'm not willing to drive 2 hours to go to a lingerie store that has my size? I'd spend more in gas money than I did on the bra.

I have my measurements. I'm in between sizes so I don't know what I would get in specific brands without trying them on first. And I'd hate to spend money on a bra, have it arrive and have it not fit. Making returns to an online store is a pain in the *kitten* so I'd probably end up keeping it until hopefully I fit into it someday. Apparently having reasons to not take everyone's advice is making excuses. It's my money, not yours so I can spend it however I want. :/
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    This may come across like I am a B*tch, but why do you sound like you are almost angry with her?! LOL.. chill out.

Not everyone likes to order their clothing online. I KNOW I DON'T because nothing EVER fits right, I Need to try everything on.

That being said, you can always return it if it doesn't fit, but it's a long tedious process.

I'm not angry with her. I'm just not babying her, I'm telling her to suck it up and fix her own problems. Trust me, I don't care enough about a stranger on the internet to get worked up over it. I am actually over here laughing at most of this thread ;-)

When you wear sizes that aren't carried in most stores, you need to find alternatives. Whining to strangers on the internet doesn't solve your problem. Buying things on the internet does.
  • Erisad
    Options

That's the tone I'm getting from her. What did I do to piss her off so bad? She can leave the thread if she wants. >.>

I order clothes from QVC because I feel confident in their sizing as my mom ordered me things from there before for birthday presents. So when I started working, I was able to know that I could get clothes that fit me from there. I still don't order bras from there though. Maybe I should. :laugh:

It is a pain in the *kitten*, which is why I'm very selective in what sites I order stuff from: Amazon (because I work for them, I know where the items come from) and QVC.
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    knitfastpurlyoung Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't understand that. There are more plus sized women in this country than there used to be, so why wouldn't they want us to shop there? More customers = more money. I don't see the disconnect here. :/

For the same reason Bentley don't make a £10,000 cheap runaround type car. Maintaining the brand. It makes sense to target 25% of the population but be able to charge 10 times the price.

Further to this point...

I used to work in Ted Baker, and their clothes only came in UK sizes 6, 8, 10, 12.

Now I work sometimes in advertising, and I use the phrase "on-brand" and "off-brand" more than I'd like. Ted Baker considered UK sizes 14+ overweight, and therefore "off-brand". Simply put, they didn't want overweight clients wearing their clothes - clients who are walking advertisements for future clients, so they don't sell the clothes in those sizes.

Any brand will target a particular demographic, and aim to sell to them, but they also decide by default which demographics they don't want to sell to as well.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I just bought a VS bra last week - a 36DD .. and it is the best fitting bra I've ever owned. And they did in fact carry 38Ds, I could have selected one of those alternatively..

Here's the thing - Not every store can market to every one. VS probably does want everyone to love their bodies - who doesn't, really?? But their business model is not based on carrying sizes for every woman. There's a reason there is a Petite Sophisticate and Lane Bryant just down the main drag of the mall from VS ... There are different stores for different bodies.

If y'all are letting VS tell you how to feel about yourselves, this is a bigger problem that VS's latest campaign ad.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

So it's an excuse that I'm not willing to drive 2 hours to go to a lingerie store that has my size? I'd spend more in gas money than I did on the bra.

I have my measurements. I'm in between sizes so I don't know what I would get in specific brands without trying them on first. And I'd hate to spend money on a bra, have it arrive and have it not fit. Making returns to an online store is a pain in the *kitten* so I'd probably end up keeping it until hopefully I fit into it someday. Apparently having reasons to not take everyone's advice is making excuses. It's my money, not yours so I can spend it however I want. :/

I seriously can't get over how funny you are. You won't drive 2 hours even once to find a bra line that fits, but you will spend 2 hours creating threads complaining about one company not carrying your size? VS isn't going to magically change its mind, if you want lingerie do something constructive about it.

Again, find a line that fits you. Either by finding places that sell it in person or trial and error over the internet. Buy lots of bras from that company in that size, online will work well for that. I highly recommend Panache, they cater well to large cups in various band sizes and I have found them to be very true to size. I tried on and purchased one bra at a specialty store I had to drive over an hour to get to, and have since ordered 4 more in various colors and styles from the internet and all fit just the same as the first.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Not all bodies should wear all styles. many times, there is a size cap on a style because a larger size would not fit it correctly, it wont hang as it was designed to and it would not flatter the wearer.

Built in fashion police.

Thank god.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I buy their stuff. I like their actual clothing (only available online), but I AM irritated that I am currently wearing their size 6's that I bought three years ago, yet to buy something that fits their CURRENT sizing, I have to buy an 8. :grumble:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not all bodies should wear all styles. many times, there is a size cap on a style because a larger size would not fit it correctly, it wont hang as it was designed to and it would not flatter the wearer.

Built in fashion police.

Thank god.

And then there are the clothes that should most definitely have a size cap and don't. And they're usually very short and made of Spandex.

*shudder*
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just threw out a VS bra because of how uncomfortable it was... and I've pretty much scrapped all underwear I had by them too.

All I wear now is Aerie by American Eagle... Good bras, good underwear and uber cheap when on sale.
  • Erisad
    Options
    I'm not angry with her. I'm just not babying her, I'm telling her to suck it up and fix her own problems. Trust me, I don't care enough about a stranger on the internet to get worked up over it. I am actually over here laughing at most of this thread ;-)

When you wear sizes that aren't carried in most stores, you need to find alternatives. Whining to strangers on the internet doesn't solve your problem. Buying things on the internet does.

So I'm not allowed to rant on the internet ever? Is that pretty much what you're saying? Sometimes you just want to let it all out in a rant and then you feel better about it. I'll keep that in mind. I have alternatives (they aren't super sexy or anything but at least I have something to wear), Whatever. Whatever I say at this point isn't going to matter as you'll just say I'm whining and continue to make me feel bad for ever posting in the first place.