VS "Love Your Body" Commerical Rant

Options

Replies

• sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Also, I get sick of hearing what a "real" woman is on this site and that "women are supposed to have curves." Women are supposed to be healthy... bottom line. I don't support either being underweight or overweight. Love your body, but love it enough to make it a healthy one. And that's all I'm going to say anymore.

THIS^^^

Personally I'm sick of hearing the phrases like "real women have curves" and "I'm not fat I'm thick" and "the AVERAGE size for a woman is a 14". I think those phrases are what keeps the women in the country FAT. We are supposed to be HEALTHY. Work with what God gave ya but God didn't give you more rolls than a bakery honey - you bought into that.

I shop at VS. Everything from bra's to panties to pj's... hell I even get their way over priced yoga pants and sweat jackets for me and my daughter... WHY... because their products fit me well, definately wash well and are really pretty. I don't go off about Lane Bryant not carrying a size 34B for me... I just walk my beautiful "B's" to VS and wish LB a nice day. :flowerforyou:
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    549646_347980208616687_1231201464_n.jpg

Honestly...

BOTH ads, are airbrushed..so, does it even matter.

probably are, but that's not the point....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, department stores (even Walmart!) carry sexy lingerie -- bras included. I don't know what stores you have near you, OP, that don't. I've yet to find one.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Completely agree!! And no, it's not that I want them to carry huge stuff for obese women. Its the fact that they are very clear about the narrow range of what they consider acceptable, especially in their physical stores.

See? Another funny one here. VS isn't a person making fun of bigger or smaller women. It isn't a man saying what type of woman makes an acceptable mate. It is a company, producing a product, to make money. That is it. They aren't sending a message to people who don't fit their size, they just don't think the profit margin is worth the effort in that market.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    PS I hate the Dove commercials because there is no skinny tomboy girl in there and the ads incite skinny girl hatred and thats the real taste of hypocrisy.

If you arent at least slightly overweight, youre not a real woman?

smack.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The longer I live on this planet, the more I want to be free of corporate influence. VS is just one more company creating an image that I find cartoonish. I totally believe in 'voting with my dollars' which I like to keep local as possible. Lingerie is a tough one because no one is making underwear in the next town from me, but I research ethical companies, pay a little more, and feel good about my purchases.

Look at www.bluecanoe.com and other companies that make an effort to create products with ethics and fairness in mind.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I seriously can't get over how funny you are. You won't drive 2 hours even once to find a bra line that fits, but you will spend 2 hours creating threads complaining about one company not carrying your size? VS isn't going to magically change its mind, if you want lingerie do something constructive about it.

Again, find a line that fits you. Either by finding places that sell it in person or trial and error over the internet. Buy lots of bras from that company in that size, online will work well for that. I highly recommend Panache, they cater well to large cups in various band sizes and I have found them to be very true to size. I tried on and purchased one bra at a specialty store I had to drive over an hour to get to, and have since ordered 4 more in various colors and styles from the internet and all fit just the same as the first.

Well I don't have my driver's license so I can't drive 2 hours, obviously. I'm working so I can buy a car and learn to drive. I had to choose between learning to drive and going to college. Obviously I made the wrong choice by choosing to be educated since I can only get this job in a warehouse. :/

Maybe I'll give Panache a try when I need new bras. :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you people skipping commercials anyway?? Or maybe spending time during commercials doing pushups or checking your MFP? I can't tell you the last time I watched an actual commercial...
  • ipinch
    ipinch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well said!!!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36DD-38D. VERY RARELY can I ever find something that fits. I think they do those campaigns for publicity, but they don't see the negatives of it, such as eating disorders in younger children and teens.
  • ASaxe23
    ASaxe23 Posts: 163
    Options
    I can totally fit into VS as long as I don't wanna wear a bra...I don't understand what their problem is? Just because I have large breast doesn't mean I don't want a pretty bra...in fact don't I deserved to have the support more than my smaller (and oh so blessed) sisters? I can't shop anywhere but specialty bra stores for my 34HH size!!! SCREW THEM!!!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Make something in my size that makes ME look MY best and I will love your products.

I know right? Frederick's of Hollywood has my size. Too bad it's like 2 hours away. :(
    Not sure if this helps or not, but was a size 14 at my biggest, and that was a Small.

Um, I'm a size 16 and I wear an XL panty and 40C bra. Although I'm not sure if I'm wearing them too big or not. I might be. Sooo yeah, I may have different proportions. >.>

Yeah, my biggest has been a size 12 and that is usually large, or medium if I want an uncomfortable fit!
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Does anyone remember when their magazines did have women that were skinny and natural not anorexic? I remember when they also catered to women with NATURAL breast. That's why they came out with the PINK line as it catered to smaller women but now it seems the ENTIRE store caters to them.

I for one loved shopping there PRE-BABY. Post baby I can't fit into anything. I am a 34 C. I don't need extreme push up or padding. I just want a comfortable, everyday bra, which is few and far between for them, unless if I want some UGLY. I do like their undies but only the cotton ones. I go to the Maidenform outlets to get no-see undies and bras. They have EVERYTHING in EVERY size. I love love love their bras they are comfortable and come in a variety of styles and colors. Plus there is ALWAYS a sale. I have never bought a bra over $30 from there and actually just bought two for $16.

I agree, bras are something that you just can't buy online unless you know you love a certain type and already own three or four. I'm sorry if people find this post redundant or ridiculous, I find it helpful as to see there are so many others out there that are like me and refuse to deal with the crap some businesses are dishing out. I do love my body but I am still saddened and discouraged when I see the VS commercials. Most of their bodies are NOT OBTAINABLE unless you starve yourself or go on a liquid diet. I mean have you read about their diets weeks before the Fashion Show?!? It's disgusting what they do to their bodies.

But hey if you think bashing women because they struggle with their weight, for whatever reason and want to rant about the hypocrisy on TV go on ahead. As women we should BUILD each other up and SUPPORT each other. Then maybe these kinds of commercial would not be as popular because we wouldn't feel the need to compete to be the skinniest people alive.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Hey OP are you on MFP because you love being fat and you want to defend fat bodies, or are you here because you want to lose weight and have a healthier body?

You say sarcastically "all fat people are unhealthy, right?"

Then you go on to say something about how you buy fresh fruit and veggies, and again sarcastically indicate that the responder thought that because you're fat, all you eat is cake. Well, how did you get fat? Was it eating mostly fruits and veggies? Probably not. So you're currently changing your lifestyle, using MFP, counting calories, being more aware of your diet. That's great. But you weren't always this way. You're overweight not because of the habits you're developing now, but because of habits that made you fat.

Yes, fat is unhealthy. When you're done with your journey, if you stick with it, you will probably not associate with "fat people" anymore.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    they haven't carried my size EVER! as a teen, my band size didn't come in my cup size there. as an adult, my cup size isn't sold there. i'm ok with this. i just don't shop there for anything. i can wear their panties in a medium, but why spend my hard earned money there if they refuse to carry my bra size? plus their "angels" or consultants or whatever are always rude to me.

i now shop at cacique. their consultants are always super nice and helpful and they look like me! same band sizes, same cup sizes, it's awesome! the only thing that sucks is that now i can't have any bra and panty sets that match because cacique's panties starts at an XL.

such is life. nothing i can do about it. i buy things for support and comfort now anyway, who cares if it's cute!? everything is just going to be taken off anyway when my boyfriend and i get down to business. :tongue:
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Even if I was thinner, my boobs are too big for VS stuff :-( I've found JC Penny's and Fashion Bug have the best fitting bras in my area. I usually get them from Fashion Bug as JC Penny's is on the pricier side. It sucks that they don't make cute looking bras just because you wear a 42DD. My girls would like a little lace too! Alas I settle for cute, solid color bras and have a billion pairs of undies to match any color I get.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    "Oh honey, we don't sell YOUR SIZE here anymore..." I was mortified and completely embarassed...

I'm not sure what you wanted her to say if she's just a salesperson and the store doesn't actually carry your size.

"We carry 28A to 38DD. Let me check if we have your size online/try Nordstrom." would have sufficed.

I can vouch that I can't remember the last time I saw a 38DD in the stores.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Does anyone remember when their magazines did have women that were skinny and natural not anorexic? I remember when they also catered to women with NATURAL breast. That's why they came out with the PINK line as it catered to smaller women but now it seems the ENTIRE store caters to them.

I for one loved shopping there PRE-BABY. Post baby I can't fit into anything. I am a 34 C. I don't need extreme push up or padding. I just want a comfortable, everyday bra, which is few and far between for them, unless if I want some UGLY. I do like their undies but only the cotton ones. I go to the Maidenform outlets to get no-see undies and bras. They have EVERYTHING in EVERY size. I love love love their bras they are comfortable and come in a variety of styles and colors. Plus there is ALWAYS a sale. I have never bought a bra over $30 from there and actually just bought two for $16.

I agree, bras are something that you just can't buy online unless you know you love a certain type and already own three or four. I'm sorry if people find this post redundant or ridiculous, I find it helpful as to see there are so many others out there that are like me and refuse to deal with the crap some businesses are dishing out. I do love my body but I am still saddened and discouraged when I see the VS commercials. Most of their bodies are NOT OBTAINABLE unless you starve yourself or go on a liquid diet. I mean have you read about their diets weeks before the Fashion Show?!? It's disgusting what they do to their bodies.

But hey if you think bashing women because they struggle with their weight, for whatever reason and want to rant about the hypocrisy on TV go on ahead. As women we should BUILD each other up and SUPPORT each other. Then maybe these kinds of commercial would not be as popular because we wouldn't feel the need to compete to be the skinniest people alive.

I honestly don't remember those ads. Maybe I was too young to remember at the time. I have Pink perfume in my room as it's the only VS product I can use since there's no size limit for that. :laugh:

I love maidenform, although I have to size up to a 40D to fit into their stuff. They carry some of them at JCPenney and I can get a good price if I look on the clearance rack. Kathleen Kirkwood has a good Tshirt bra too. Not sexy, just functional. :)

That's why I posted in the motivation and support forum, I thought we would be able to talk to each other about this in a constructive manner and to build each other up, even when the media wants to tear us down for not being perfect. :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36DD-38D. VERY RARELY can I ever find something that fits. I think they do those campaigns for publicity, but they don't see the negatives of it, such as eating disorders in younger children and teens.

If the bras as VS don't fit - try them from somewhere else. There are literally hundreds of retailers that sell bras. and eventually everyone finds a brand that fits.

As for the negative impacts of ad campaigns, well, I personally think the onus falls on parents to help their children work through their feelings about the images they see, as opposed to throwing all of the blame on to commercials. If you let the TV raise your children though, I guess it would be the teevee's fault for your child's views of themselves and the world.
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    One option which doesn't seem to have been suggested (possibly because most of the people seem to be US rather than UK) is support local independent retailers and stockists , they are far more likely to build up a long term relationship with you and try harder to get you what you need!
    We used to have a fantastic shop by us called corsetry cottage with a lady who could tell you what would fit just by looking at you and would do alterations if needed but sadly people didn't support the place and it went bust. I'd rather pay more for something I know fits and will last than but cheap 3 wear stuff that doesn't quite fit ..