Egg Yolks as bad as Smoking!?

Replies

• gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    I feel like the study authors do not know how to properly interpret their results.

I haven't read the study but I suspect the problem isn't the study authors, but the health and science journalists don't know how to read studies. They want to make a splashy headline and often generalize scientific findings to the point of absurdity. Notice the language here, it says people with cardiovascular problems should eat less eggs. Not EVERYONE. I don't think it's controversial to suggest that people with high cholesterol might want to limit how much dietary cholesterol they consume. If your cholesterol is fine, this probably does not apply to you. Just guessing here, but either way we ought to always take science journalism with a grain of salt. They don't always represent scientific research properly.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Maybe the chickens in Canada all smoke.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    correlation <> causation
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    I seriously doubt the credibility of this. Did these people also eat foods high in HDL, which counteracts LDL? Or were they ONLY monitoring their egg consumption? Did they have an overall healthy diet? Or were they eating junk in tandem with eating eggs regularly? Did they exercise regularly? Or were they fairly sedentary? There are soooo many factors involved in coronary artery disease. It is absolutely LUDICROUS to say that ONE NATURAL food eaten regularly is almost as bad as smoking like a chimney.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Cant be doing with just egg whites. I eat 2 or 3 whole eggs daily. I had high cholesterol just over 3 months ago when i started here and now its almost to a normal level. I had a fasting blood test last week at my diabetes doctor.

I LOVE your pic.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    The healthiest thing is to remove the yoke and just eat the white. Then dry the yoke into a powder, roll it up, and smoke that muther f--ker. It is da bomb.

You just won the thread.
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    When my Dad was in the Military he ate eggs every morning. He didn't have high cholesterol.
  • 3 or 4 PER WEEK? Well gee wilikers... I eat 3 or 4 about 4 times a week... :ohwell:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I want a shirt that says

Yolks don't kill people
    *I* kill people
  • No wonder all the non-smoking animals who eat Eggs are having all the Cardiac Issues. Someone should talk to them..
  • Silly peoples, i don't even know how you can compare eating a egg to smoking =) too much of anything is bad for you =)
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    If your egg yolks are smoking, it might be advisable to turn the heat off. Also, get some air freshener and vent out the place. That #@%! reeks.

ETA: Suddenly I'm flashing back to a scene from a TV show or movie or something to that effect, probably in the 80s, where a short-order cook in a diner was making eggs, and his cigarette ash fell in the yolk. That had to be the heart-cloggingest meal ever.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    ****, I knew it. It's all about eggs and smoking. All of those patients moved their *kitten* off all through their lives but 3 eggs a week and bam!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    OMG BE CAREFUL!!! IF YOU EVEN CONSUME ANYTHING..EVER.. YOU WILL GET FAT AND OR DIE!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Side note: I was trying to google for some other examples of specific research studies where the news outlets jump to sweeping conclusions, and was trying to think of other ways to phrase my search terms. Then this came up:

Bqg6k.png

:laugh:

:heart:
    :laugh:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    I'm too lazy to look at the link, but this is probably another one of those things people will change their minds about anyway. If you like egg yolks go ahead and eat them anyway.

The reason I don't eat them has nothing to do with health, it's all about taste and texture.:sick:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    correlation <> causation

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

:heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :smokin:
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    No way! As a vegetarian it would be slim chances for me without eggs!
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Whatever next!
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Totally agree with the study. I started eating eggs after I saw on the news they were not bad for your cholesterol and my cholesterol SKYROCKETED next time I had it checked. Went back down after stopping eating them. Eggbeaters for me. May not affect everyone this way but there is definite truth in it for some people.