Coconut oil and weight loss

Replies

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    For example, if these so called "health experts" that admonish fat are correct, and a low-fat diet is the solution to good health, then why did traditional Pacific Islanders who typically obtained 2/3 to 3/4 of their total daily calories from fat (mostly from coconut fat), remain virtually free from heart disease, obesity, and other modern degenerative diseases (that is, until Western dietary influences invaded)?
    http://www.truthaboutabs.com/dietary-fat-article.html

Or maybe NOW it is...
  • Coconut oil is great to cook with or add to foods. It does add a nice little taste (hard to describe) to otherwise bland foods. In fact, before the health gestapo stepped in, they used to make movie theater popcorn with it. If you've ever popped corn at home, you know the oil makes a difference.

A bonus of coconut oil is it's (really) low melting point. This means you can lightly cook your foods or easily add it to other prepared foods.

Yes it's higher in saturated fats than, say, olive oil. Saturated fats are not evil. Do some research/reading and you'll see the many roles they play.

If a tbsp will make or break your calories for the day, you probably need to pay more attention to what you're eating.
    Oil, is the most calorie dense food you can eat, at 4 thousand calories a pound. I don't see anyone losing weight using oil in their food.

Sorry.
    Just cooking or using oil doesn't make you fat. It doesn't matter what oil it is. Quit spouting off falsehoods.
    I try never to use oil as it deters my weight loss (too many calories).

As for cooking with it, I threw all my oil away. Cooking oil included. It just isn't worth all those calories.

Dude, how do you use oil? It's not that many calories if you use it in the correct amount, and it's incredibly good for your body, especially coconut oil!
    Wondering the same thing. People are scary on here.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    BOOM! Love it! Thanks for ending it with something that indicates it is OK TO EAT FAT!

but it is common knowledge that healthy fats are......um............wait for it.....................healthy.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Yes it is controversial so I tend to be careful and not have too much but it is really good for any high temperature cooking which most oils aren't so I use it then.

I'd love to know for sure if it's good to use more of it.

As for cooking with it, I threw all my oil away. Cooking oil included. It just isn't worth all those calories.

Dude, how do you use oil? It's not that many calories if you use it in the correct amount, and it's incredibly good for your body, especially coconut oil!

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

It's a 100% fat.

I think this discussion is over.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-some-fat-to-be-healthy.html

Well. Yeah. NOW it is. :laugh:

So go ahead and eat 100% fat and see if you lose weight. There is essential fat found in plants, but we are talking about oil that is 100% fat.

If you are bone skinny, yes you need fat. How many here are bone skinny? I read the page and it doesn't give any recommendations as to how to eat it if you are at a certain level of health and weight. So I repeat, oil, when we talk about calories, is too high and not worth it.

If you want to ingest oil that clogs up your arteries and packs in the calories, go for it.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    PS. I am losing weight and not just using oil, but using COCONUT oil in my food.

Consider yourself DEBUNKED. :bigsmile:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    I LOVE COCONUT OIL. hawaiian tropic is my favorite. I love the way it smells.. like summertime... I love the greasy ooze.. luvluvluv coconut oil..
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    We use it in our coffee too, but it's important to get the cold pressed oil that hasn't been heated to be exracted.
    Fats are not the enemy, huge amounts of anything are!

Ps... it's great for a massage oil and well,....:bigsmile: :blushing: :devil: that could lead to excercise!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    PS. I am losing weight and not just using oil, but using COCONUT oil in my food.

I am willing to bet you are eating healthy foods along with that coconut oil AND I bet you throw in a little exercise here and there. SMH
  • micheleyarbrough
    micheleyarbrough Posts: 4 Member
    I just used it tonight on my chicken fired steak and made amazing gravy with it. Only buy organic coconut oil. It boosts metabolism and gives you energy. I replace coconut oil with other oils even in baking. I just started MFP so I don't know if it's affected my weight
    loss.

Jordan Rubin on Coconut Oil
    Here's why I recommend coconut oil:

Foods cooked in coconut oil taste better longer. If left at room temperature unsaturated oils turn rancid fairly quickly. However, even after one yeaer at room temperature, coconut oil shows no evidence of rancidity. Coconut oil is packed with antioxidants, and it also reduces the body' need for vitamin E.
    Coconut oil stimulates thyroid function which, in turn, stimulates conversion of production of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol into the anti-aging prohormones and hormones pregnenolone, progesterone and dehydropeiandrosterone (DHEA). These valuable agents prevent heart disease, senility, obesity, cancer and other diseases associated with premature aging, as well as chronic, degenerating diseases.
    Another benefit from coconut oil's unique ability to support thyroid function is weight loss. In the 1940s, farmers tried coconut oil to fatten their animals but discovered that it made them lean and active and increased their appetite, notes an expert. Whoops! Then they tried an anti-thyroid drug. It made the livestock fat with less food but was found to be a carcinogen (cancer-causing drug). In the late 1940s, it was found that the same anti-thyroid effect could be achieved by simply feeding animals soybeans and corn.
    Coconut oil protects against cancer. Generally speaking, animals fed unsaturated oils develop more tumors.
    Coconut oil has tremendous antiviral properties. Coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids such as lauric, caprylic, and capric acids. Of these three, coconut oil contains 40-55 percent lauric acid which has the greatest antiviral activity of these three fatty acids. Lauric acid is so adept at fighting viral pathogens it is present in large quantities in breast milk. The body converts lauric acid to a fatty acid derivative (monolauric), which is the substance that protect infants and adults alike from viral, bacterial, or protozoal infections.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I like to add some to peanut butter, mix it up, and chow down when I need to get caught up on calories for the day.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Yes it is controversial so I tend to be careful and not have too much but it is really good for any high temperature cooking which most oils aren't so I use it then.

It's a 100% fat.

Yeah bro, its 100% oil, but do you use a stick of butter or a jar of oil when you cook? Are you being serious? All they're saying is it has more health properties than other oils and, like everything else, is just fine in moderation.
  • FrugalMomsRock75

So go ahead and eat 100% fat and see if you lose weight. There is essential fat found in plants, but we are talking about oil that is 100% fat.

If you are bone skinny, yes you need fat. How many here are bone skinny? I read the page and it doesn't give any recommendations as to how to eat it if you are at a certain level of health and weight. So I repeat, oil, when we talk about calories, is too high and not worth it.

If you want to ingest oil that clogs up your arteries and packs in the calories, go for it.

Dude-you've logged your food one time since January... and when you did log, you ate around 1200 calories.

I eat 2100+ and lose weight... and I include that "100% fat" in my diet...

tell me which one of us is living something more sustainable? :huh:
  • So go ahead and eat 100% fat and see if you lose weight. There is essential fat found in plants, but we are talking about oil that is 100% fat.
    No one said to EAT 100% fat. They stated coconut oil is 100% fat.
    You need fats. Period. How you get them is less of a concern. So I repeat, fats are needed.
    *sigh*
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    does it apply to unsweetened coconut flakes also? I jsut ate 3 tablesoons!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    I make a body scrub and a conditioning treatment out of coconut oil. That's about all I use it for.
  • FrugalMomsRock75

I am willing to bet you are eating healthy foods along with that coconut oil AND I bet you throw in a little exercise here and there. SMH

this has little to do with that. The poster I was responding to says not to use any oil. At all. None. Because it's unhealthy ("pure fat" and not worth the calories). He said that people who use oil don't lose weight. Obviously, that's pure idiocy. Now I'm SMH at someone hopping in and not reading a thread through before responding.
  • does it apply to unsweetened coconut flakes also? I jsut ate 3 tablesoons!
    LOVE cooking with those. I have to smack my hand to keep from eating them when I open the bag. And yes, they include saturated fats as well.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    The information that I have on coconut oil comes from Dr. Mary Newport. Her husband has Alzheimers and in searching for something to help him, she discovered that the MCT's in coconut oil can get through the blood/brain barrier and nourish brain cells. Her husband has had significant and sustained cognitive improvement. You can read about her research and her husband's improvement in her book. I borrowed it from the library. The title is something like "Alzheimer's Disease. What if there was a cure?" She also has a website with information: coconutketones.com.

Coconut oil, like all oils is very high in calories, so you have to calculate it into your daily totals. If you do decide to start using coconut oil, check out the baking aisle at Walmart. They carry the LouAnn brand, and it is the lowest price I have found anywhere, inluding the internet.

I think that for some people the benefits outweigh the fat in coconut oil. I don't go downing teaspoons of it every day but I do use it in my cooking, as well as coconut milk. Google the benefits of medium-chain fatty acids...there are a lot of healing properties and are not the same type of sat fat than the standard butter, vegetable oil, etc...
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member

It's a 100% fat.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-some-fat-to-be-healthy.html

Well. Yeah. NOW it is. :laugh:

Such an angry little fella you are.
  • zzzkitty
    zzzkitty Posts: 7 Member
    I also put it on my oatmeal every morning. I keep a special container with a little honey mixed in, and it is so good that I don't need much sweetness in my oatmeal. I also put a little bit on a piece of whole wheat toast on occasion, if I have to run out the door in the morning. Coconut oil is really good for you, and as someone said, is healing for the digestive system. I too have experienced this. It is reported in some studies to help with weight loss.

If you want to learn about fats, I recommend the book, "Know Your Fats" by Mary Enig. It was really helpful for me. :smile: