Coconut oil and weight loss

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

If 1 gram of fat is 9 calories and 1 gram of carbs and/or protein is 4 calories, just do the math. However, If you eat below your calorie limit, meaning if you are following a form of calorie restriction, then yes, even eating twinkies will make you lose weight if you are not eating enough calories. I agree to that point.

And I said, when I speak of oil, I talk of calories and eating oil is too calorie rich for me. Here is an example:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

Go to serving size, 1 tablespoon--calories: 116 calories, so 2 tablespoons is 232 calories.

Now go to, oh lets see how Bryer's Vanilla Ice Cream compares:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/8026/2
    1 half cup of ice cream is 99 calories. So you can have 2 servings of ice cream and it is still beats 2 tablespoons of that oil.

I'd rather eat ice cream and even exercise less.

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid. Nobody disagrees about the calorie content of oil- 9cal/g- agreed.
    Now, WHO is deciding between ice cream and oil? Can you cook with ice cream? Does anybody have 2TBSP of oil as a snack? It's a really stupid and pointless comparison.

Why cook with oil? You don't need to. Save yourself the calories.

As for the comparison, I'd rather eat 2 servings of ice cream than 2 tablespoons of oil. It has less calories, but the point is, even ice cream has less calories than two tablespoons of oil.

So you spray the oil in the pan, then you pour oil in your food. All of a sudden, your food has a ton of calories. The comparison is to make you realize to use oil sparingly, if not at all because it will not make you lose weight, and this is still the topic of oil and weight loss.

Frankly, I'm a vegetarian and CHOOSE to add fat calories to my diet because they taste good, it helps with thyroid function, and they make my diet more satiating. The same amount of calories in carbohydrates would not be satisfying. Plus, I would refer you to the 1990s to learn about the success of low fat dieting. (Hint: It doesn't work)
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yes it is controversial so I tend to be careful and not have too much but it is really good for any high temperature cooking which most oils aren't so I use it then.

I'd love to know for sure if it's good to use more of it.

I try never to use oil as it deters my weight loss (too many calories).

As for cooking with it, I threw all my oil away. Cooking oil included. It just isn't worth all those calories.

Dude, how do you use oil? It's not that many calories if you use it in the correct amount, and it's incredibly good for your body, especially coconut oil!

It's a 100% fat.

I think this discussion is over.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-some-fat-to-be-healthy.html

Well. Yeah. NOW it is. :laugh:

So go ahead and eat 100% fat and see if you lose weight. There is essential fat found in plants, but we are talking about oil that is 100% fat.

If you are bone skinny, yes you need fat. How many here are bone skinny? I read the page and it doesn't give any recommendations as to how to eat it if you are at a certain level of health and weight. So I repeat, oil, when we talk about calories, is too high and not worth it.

If you want to ingest oil that clogs up your arteries and packs in the calories, go for it.

Where did you get the idea that eating fat is bad for you? You might want to reasses this notion. Dietary fat has nothing to do with body fat. Calories from fat are not more likely to cause weight gain than calories from carbs or protein. I eat about 35% fat and lost weight just fine. It's fine if you want to eat low-fat, but it's not true that it has no place in a healthy diet.

If 1 gram of fat is 9 calories and 1 gram of carbs and/or protein is 4 calories, just do the math. However, If you eat below your calorie limit, meaning if you are following a form of calorie restriction, then yes, even eating twinkies will make you lose weight if you are not eating enough calories. I agree to that point.

And I said, when I speak of oil, I talk of calories and eating oil is too calorie rich for me. Here is an example:

Go to serving size, 1 tablespoon--calories: 116 calories, so 2 tablespoons is 232 calories.

1 half cup of ice cream is 99 calories. So you can have 2 servings of ice cream and it is still beats 2 tablespoons of that oil.

That is a sensible thing to say -- that you would rather use the calories for something else. I don't think anyone would take issue with that. You just came across as saying that this should hold true for everyone becaue fat was inherently a bad choice. I totally agree that you have to budget your calories and people are going to do that differently. Personally I find high fat foods very satiating so I prefer them to high carb foods, but that's just me. There are lots of different ways to do it!

I agree!
  • RicochetRabbit
    Options
    Coconut Fudge
    Melt and mix together 1 cup each of coconut oil and low sugar dark chocolate chips
    and divide equally into a plastic ice cube tray and place in freezer ( I have old metal trays).
    In a 16 cube tray, each cube will equal 1 tablespoon coconut oil.

I have been using Coconut Oil for awhile. Makes my skin so soft and my hair beautiful. I don't eat it every day. I do caculate it into my calories for the day. And yes it is worth the exercise. I also use it for Oil Pulling. It helps my teeth and gums.
  • taem
    Options

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid. Nobody disagrees about the calorie content of oil- 9cal/g- agreed.
    Now, WHO is deciding between ice cream and oil? Can you cook with ice cream? Does anybody have 2TBSP of oil as a snack? It's a really stupid and pointless comparison.

As for the comparison, I'd rather eat 2 servings of ice cream than 2 tablespoons of oil. It has less calories, but the point is, even ice cream has less calories than two tablespoons of oil.

So you spray the oil in the pan, then you pour oil in your food. All of a sudden, your food has a ton of calories. The comparison is to make you realize to use oil sparingly, if not at all because it will not make you lose weight, and this is still the topic of oil and weight loss.

Frankly, I'm a vegetarian and CHOOSE to add fat calories to my diet because they taste good, it helps with thyroid function, and they make my diet more satiating. The same amount of calories in carbohydrates would not be satisfying. Plus, I would refer you to the 1990s to learn about the success of low fat dieting. (Hint: It doesn't work)

I am also a vegetarian/starch-based eater. I eat starches and vegetables. Been doing it for over a year and a half now. In the 1990s, low fat dieting didn't work because they replaced fat with sugar and then later with high fructose corn syrup.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

AGAIN, get an OIL MISTER and fill it with a SMALL amount of the oil of your choice. each spray is around 10 calories and it only takes a spray or 2 to do the job. Who the hell needs 2 Tbsp's of oil?

It's time to crawl out from the rock you've been living under.
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Two servings of ice cream is empty calories and has no positive health benefit. Two tablespoons of healthy oil has many positive health benefits. You can certainly eat your allotted calories however you see fit, but if we're talking about long term health and still being able to lose weight your argument has not been a good one. I don't want to just lose pounds. I want to be fit and healthy for a long time. I not only care about calories, but nutritional benefits of what I put in my mouth.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    found this at Whole Foods and I am intrigued! It is about the same calories/fat at regular peanut butter. I was wondering if anyone else has tried using coconut oil in their diet and noticed any differences or weight loss. I would love to cook with it but someone in my family is allergic. I thought this might be a good substitution!

This seems to b e a controversial topic!

I wouldn't get into that pissing contest if you paid me. Who ever said "arguing on the internet - now THAT's a GREAT idea!"?

I count my calories, but I absolutely work in coconut as much as possible. Why? Because it's delicious. It also makes me feel fuller longer than lots of other foods. I recently started using the full fat canned coconut milk in my breakfast shake (I do a shake cuz I'm lazy, not cuz I'm crazy). It was awesome. I also love me some coconut curry & when I make it I fry the meat in coconut oil.

When I don't use coconut milk, I sometimes supplement MCT oil in my morning shake. I'll acknowledge that I might be crazy on this one, but some studies are showing it might help in "encouraging" your body to burn more fat and make you less hungry.

Finally, I have no idea why you are comparing peanut butter to coconut oil. Are you planning on spreading it on a sammich? I don't think I'd be down with that.
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    we cook with it because my family follows the Paleo diets and coconut oil, olive oil and avacado oil are good fats. vegetable oil is the devil :devil: just kidding..................... but yes we use it all the time, as well as coconut milk and coconut flour.
  • taem
    Options

AGAIN, get an OIL MISTER and fill it with a SMALL amount of the oil of your choice. each spray is around 10 calories and it only takes a spray or 2 to do the job. Who the hell needs 2 Tbsp's of oil?

It's time to crawl out from the rock you've been living under.

Actually, it's a sprtiz, or a third of a second.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/9751/2

Have you tried to spray a third of a second in a pan? Did it work for you?
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Oil, is the most calorie dense food you can eat, at 4 thousand calories a pound. I don't see anyone losing weight using oil in their food.

Sorry.

My daily breakdown of calories today: 71% fat. Fats aren't bad. They keep you full, and your body needs them. Every time I make any sauteed veggies, I use a T. of butter or coconut oil. I've lost 45 pounds.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Its just an oil.

I cook salmon in it and is tastes AMAZING.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Please stop arguing with taem.

Leave him to the happiness of his brown rice zen macrobiotic diet and his less than 1% Fat phobia. You are not going to convince him of anything.

He just can't understand that someone could actually be satiated without eating a bale of hay sized portion of fruits and vegetables.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It is a waste of your time and it annoys the pig.

AND there is NEVER a reason to reQUOTE 18 nested quotes For Pete's sake, just quote the one darn though you are addressing instead of teh whole damn thread.
  • taem
    Options
    Oil, is the most calorie dense food you can eat, at 4 thousand calories a pound. I don't see anyone losing weight using oil in their food.

Sorry.

My daily breakdown of calories today: 71% fat. Fats aren't bad. They keep you full, and your body needs them. Every time I make any sauteed veggies, I use a T. of butter or coconut oil. I've lost 45 pounds.

That's great, are you on a low carb diet? looks that way. I should have mentioned that being on ketosis or an Atkin's diet works. I am not on ketosis as I am a high carb, low-fat dieter. So Atkin's dieters have no trouble eating fat, I agree. However, my point is still valid, it has a lot of calories. The OP didn't mention anything about being on a low carb diet.
  • taem
    Options
    Please stop arguing with taem.

Leave him to the happiness of his brown rice zen macrobiotic diet and his less than 1% Fat phobia. You are not going to convince him of anything.

He just can't understand that someone could actually be satiated without eating a bale of hay sized portion of fruits and vegetables.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It is a waste of your time and it annoys the pig.

Thank you for your insight. =]
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

I am also a vegetarian/starch-based eater. I eat starches and vegetables. Been doing it for over a year and a half now. In the 1990s, low fat dieting didn't work because they replaced fat with sugar and then later with high fructose corn syrup.

So where are you getting your essential fatty acids, necessary for controlling inflammation, blood clotting, and brain development? Fat also helps the body absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K. Are you sure you are getting enough absorption of those nutrients without any fat in your diet?
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Australian cattle ranchers began adding coconut oil to their cattle feed in the hope of quicker weight gain. However the cattle started losing weight! Unfortunately one tbl a day did not change my weight in either direction, but when I occasionally fry foods, it and butter are the only fats I use.
  • taem
    Options

So where are you getting your essential fatty acids, necessary for controlling inflammation, blood clotting, and brain development? Fat also helps the body absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K. Are you sure you are getting enough absorption of those nutrients without any fat in your diet?

Again, I never said essential fat was bad or not needed. I said oil is 100% fat and that, calorically speaking is bad as it is calorie dense and can stop weight loss, and then people said they are on a low carb diet and I said fine, then be on ketosis. =]
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

Sorry.

That's great, are you on a low carb diet? looks that way. I should have mentioned that being on ketosis or an Atkin's diet works. I am not on ketosis as I am a high carb, low-fat dieter. So Atkin's dieters have no trouble eating fat, I agree. However, my point is still valid, it has a lot of calories. The OP didn't mention anything about being on a low carb diet.

Yes. It has more calories per gram than protein or carbohydrate. However, I (personally) am trying to make a change in my eating habits and therefore my health. I would much rather have zucchini sauteed in butter than save the butter calories for a small portion of ice cream. I guess we'll agree to disagree there.

I just have an issue with people spouting off fat demonization nonsense. Your body NEEDS fat. Telling people to cut it out of their diets so they can have more calories to spend on less whole foods is kinda bad advice.

TL;DR: "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. "

ETA: A tablespoon of fat/butter/oil isn't that bad caloric-wise AND WILL NOT STALL YOUR WEIGHT LOSS if you have room for it in your calories. If you're using a cup to saute some green beans, then you might wanna ease up on that lol
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is very good for certain things. It is believed to help people with diabetes control blood pressure. Studies have shown that it can help with brain functioning and possibly help prevent Alzheimer's. I don't know if it is helpful in losing weight but does have a lot of health benefits. And no fats are not just needed by skinny people. Fats are needed by every body type for healthy functioning. Not all fats are created equal. Coconut oil helps increase good.cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol much like fish oils.
  • taem
    Options

Sorry.

Yes. It has more calories per gram than protein or carbohydrate. However, I (personally) am trying to make a change in my eating habits and therefore my health. I would much rather have zucchini sauteed in butter than save the butter calories for a small portion of ice cream. I guess we'll agree to disagree there.

I just have an issue with people spouting off fat demonization nonsense. Your body NEEDS fat. Telling people to cut it out of their diets so they can have more calories to spend on less whole foods is kinda bad advice.

TL;DR: "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. "

I don't think 100% fat is a good idea, but I guess we can disagree there. =]