Beginner Runners

Options
13»

Replies

• xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've always heard to breathe through you're nose. And when I see runners, no one is breathing through their so I just assumed I was breathing the wrong way. Plus, my throat gets dry and becomes a little sore.

You might not be drinking enough during the day if this is happening to you. Focus on getting in lots of water. But if you live in a dry climate (arizona, new mexico, desert) this might be inevitable. You could try something like Quench Gum?

Some people do recommend breathing through the nose for this reason, but I think if you're running out of air it's not working for you. Either that or you're going way too fast.
  • Doesntplaynice82
    Doesntplaynice82 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you are running the same path each day (like a jogging path or maybe your neighborhood) instead of looking at "times" choose areas to run to. for example when I was running I would say Ok i am going to run from this light pole all the way to that fire hydrant before I walk again, then the next day from the light pole to the mailbox (a little farther) etc etc.

That really helped me be able to run longer rather than staring at a watch or timer and thinking OMG 30 more seconds,...I cant do it!!
  • dotmango
    dotmango Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started running again a few months ago, without using couch to five k but using the same basic principles(start slow, work up, take your time, etc). Everyone has already told you exactly what I would have told you! Stick at it, be patient, it works.

And welcome to the happiest thing in the world.
  • ash1976
    ash1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters who have said slow down. If necessary slow down to just over walking speed. Concentrate on getting through the program rather than speed; that will come later as you progress. The first day of the new week on the program is always the hardest, but the following two usually seem easier.
  • jrbars14
    jrbars14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    "Ease into 5k" is the app I'm using, and I love it! The first week started pretty simple running times were 30, 45 & 60 seconds. Then they creep up... I'm in the middle of week 4, and I'm running for 6 minutes at a time! I still can't believe it! LOL!

The best part is trying to beat your pace from the last workout, or feeling that the running segments are getting a little bit easier. :) I'd suggest you move down to a 5k program. You might find it more suitable for your level.

I will definitely be looking into this app...I have downloaded couch to 5k....and I"m nervous...I've never been a runner...but I'm going to try!!
  • jrbars14
    jrbars14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to be ready for a 5k this November too!! Good luck =)
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Keep trying. I have been doing C210K for a few months now. I was not a runner to begin with and spent about 2 weeks on Week 1 and then 2-3 weeks on Week 6. Just keep going with that same day until you feel comfortable enough to move on to the next day.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I used to be very fit and into most sports (I was training to become a pro footballer or at least that was the dream when I was diagnosed with a disease in my knee and stopped me playing all sports overnight!) The last 5k run I did about 6 years ago I finished in 11 mins! Id love to be able to do it again but so far Im not allowed to run at all under doctors orders as I just had an MRI on my knee. Once I get the go ahead Im going to start again real slowly - its a process and if you have to do the first week a few times over then do it, it wont happen overnight but with willpower you will get there!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    If you are running the same path each day (like a jogging path or maybe your neighborhood) instead of looking at "times" choose areas to run to. for example when I was running I would say Ok i am going to run from this light pole all the way to that fire hydrant before I walk again, then the next day from the light pole to the mailbox (a little farther) etc etc.

That really helped me be able to run longer rather than staring at a watch or timer and thinking OMG 30 more seconds,...I cant do it!!

This is what I have started doing. I don't have any apps - just have decided to start jogging a little bit. My walk in the morning is only 1.7km. I run a block, walk a block and if I need more time to breathe or drink I take it. Slow and easy wins the race hehe
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    The longest time I could go without stopping is around a 90 seconds. I feel so embarassed about it.

I'm more or less in the same boat as you. I tried running at gym today for the first time in over a decade and I only managed to go for about 2 minutes before I started to get a stitch, plus my pants are a bit loose from losing weight so they started to fall down and I had to stop.

But I actually ran!

My advice is keep trying I guess. I've seen people bigger than I am running for longer than I can. It they can do it so can I and so can just about anyone else.

I guess all it takes is practice.

When I first started trying to lose weight I couldn't really walk very far and it took a long time as I walked so slowly. I eventually started going to gym and riding the bikes there and worked my way up to the elliptical and now that I've conquered that I think being able to run for extended periods of time is the final frontier.
  • cathomer
    cathomer Posts: 88
    Options
    When I started couch to 5k six weeks ago I could hardly run the 60 seconds, on week three I decided to repeat it because I couldn't face week four. Now I can run for 20 minutes without stopping, and without finding it uncomfortable. We do go a different route though, with less of a hill, no way could I do it with the big hill we usually run up, that's a killer!
    You can do it, if I can do it anyone can do it, I've always been so rubbish at running but have discovered I could actually be quite good at it once I've lost weight, I've got a good pace and I'm really quite strong.
  • wfnugent
    wfnugent Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am on my last week of C25K. I registered for my first 5k - a Labor Day Weekend run near my home.

When I started I really struggled and I still struggle. Running three miles is hard if you have never done it before. Running for 90 seconds is hard if haven't done it for a while.

If you look on line you will find that the advice is to walk fast and run slow, really slow. It is good advice. The program is to get you to finish a 5k NOT win a 5k. You just have to keep moving. If you are having trouble, slow down. Each day do a little more for a little longer.

I now run 3 miles in 30 minutes most days. I do this on a treadmill; when I do it outside it is slower and shorter. When I don't do one of these I run for 20 or 30 minutes on a treadmill more slowly but with varying inclination. I keep track of my heart rate and calories with an HRM.

My advice may sound a bit pollyanna-ish but it has gotten me back on the treadmill each day. Do not be discouraged by what you did today. Be encouraged that what you did today, no matter how tough it was, is better than what you did yesterday. Tomorrow will be a little harder but you can do that too.
  • hazel240
    hazel240 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ugh, it's so hard trying not to breathe through my mouth. I'll be a lot more persistent next time.

I always breathe through my mouth when I'm jogging. It's not a bad thing - just get into a rhythm. I think that in thru the nose, out thru the mouth thing is something to work on later... For now I just do what's easiest.

In week 1 I was jogging at a 16min/mile pace (which most people can walk faster than!), this morning I hit a 13min/mile pace. It just takes practice. And you really have to want to get out there and push yourself to be better than you were the day before. :) Whether it's running for a longer period of time, resting for a shorter period of time, going farther or quickening your pace - there are small victories that should encourage you get get out there for the next workout. I go every other day and I really look forward to it now. When I started it was burdensome, but it becomes a habit and something to enjoy!
  • bholmes21
    bholmes21 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Do NOT give up! I'm now considered a runner and less than a year ago, the thought of running 3 miles or even 6 was a steep hill I never thought I could conquer. Just keep trying and do what you can. Jog a little, walk a little. Start with C25K, I know a lot of people who have had major successes with the program.

My training buddy, who recently ran a 1/2 with me, was in the same boat. She couldn't even run for more than 30 seconds when she started back to running after having kids.

Just keep at it, before you know it you'll be running marathons. :)
  • Caroline244
    Caroline244 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My husband is a runner and when I first started running, he gave me some tips, as did my marathon-running boss: (1) start your run SLOW (think "buffalo shuffle"), (2) make small goals for yourself at the beginning - e.g. go three light poles, walk to the next, do three more, get to that far mailbox, etc., (3) breathe in through your mouth and out through your nose to get the most oxygen possible, (4) buy new running clothes that you'll be excited to wear/use (I buy Tec-Wick stuff since it's super breathable and bought a fancy water bottle), (5) commit - I downloaded the C25k podcasts to help me work up to a 5k, (6) be accountable - I run with my dog and if I don't take him out, I feel oober guilty so that guilt helps keep me motivated. :-) (7) do a brisk 3-5 minute warm-up and cool-down walk to help keep your muscles safe.

Keep at it - make every day a little harder than yesterday and you'll QUICKLY see results.

Oh - one thing that's also helped me is to make a schedule of my workouts, put them on my Google calendar, and also put a copy on the fridge to help deter me from snacking, and to remind me of my goals all day.

Best of luck and we'll be here to support you!!! :-)