How much do you spend a week on groceries?

Options
MsMuniz
MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
How much do you spend a week on groceries? And how many people are in your household? I always think I'm a horrible shopper because I spend $150+ a week on groceries. That seems like a lot for two adults, then my mother-in-law said they usually spend almost $200 a week for just her and her husband. We do tend to buy a lot of fresh fruits and veggies but still...does this see like a lot?

So I'm just wondering how much others spend and how many they are feeding? I guess where you live could make a big difference too. We live in Orlando, groceries here are much cheaper than when we were living in Maryland.

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I usually spend around $100 a week for 2 people. Like you, I buy a lot of fruits and vegetables. I feel like groceries were cheaper when we weren't eating as healthy.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I live in Alaska. You don't want to know some of the prices. I paid 8$ for a gallon of Florida's all natural orange juice.

ETA: 4 mouths.
  • katemiddletonisawesome
    Options
    I haven't been to the grocery store since the summer started and it's been glorious.
    $20 (or less) on produce from the local farmers market, $30 at the butcher shop & $10 (or less) at the italian deli. So.... $60/week on average? And I cook for 4 (3 of those being full-grown men... and then myself.)
  • HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and in spend $30 a week for two adults, I could easily spend $100+,but in live on special offers, budget ranges and reduced out of date foods
  • jp619
    jp619 Posts: 20
    Options
    A ton! We have two High School football players in the house! They're killing me! Well killing the grocery bill anyways.
  • 90pounds2go
    90pounds2go Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just went shopping today. minus $60 for diapers/wipes, I spent about $240 for 4 people. 2 adults and 2 children. besides the kids foods, we basically buy chicken, and then veggies (and salad stuff) for the us. the veggies range from the frozen steamers to fresh produce. That is enough to carry us till next payday (2 weeks). We live in Kentucky. :)
  • kriscrat
    kriscrat Posts: 15
    Options
    Same here, about $100 for two adults. I found we're spending less now that I'm eating healthier, because I'm preparing more meals rather than buying pre made, frozen, deliveyr, or going out. It also helps that I'm recently underemployed, so I've got more time and less money. :/
  • mslindsay
    mslindsay Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I spend about 40 bucks a week just for me. I will read the ads and buy the vegetables on sale and in season (that is when they are cheaper). I buy about 20 - 25 dollars in veggies, and the rest in meats. If there is a really good sale on meat I will stock up and freeze it. If I need to buy spices, cooking oil etc. I will spend more, but if it is just buy fresh stuff to eat for the week 40 dollars is where I aim.
  • celiason81
    celiason81 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We spend about $100/wk for essentially 2 adults and a preschooler. Our prices are pretty average I'd say.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I spend between $150 - $200 a week for a family of 5 (3 boys too). We eat as "clean" as we can and don't eat out or fast food. I take leftovers to work for lunch too.
  • newata
    newata Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There are 2 of us and we usually spend about $80-$100 a week. We buy a lot of produce and cook most meals at home however we do eat out maybe once or twice a week.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Around $100/week for family of 5,
    Myself, husband, 24 year old son, 16 year old son and 11 year old son.
    Lots of fruit, veggies, yogurt, MILK (6 gallons every 4 days) and the
    usual assortment of meat, frozen, canned and bread.

Pam:drinker:
  • emmalynanne
    Options
    If you have flea markets near you, I'd def go there for your produce! You get higher quality and quantity with out the high prices!
  • karrielarrie
    Options
    I live in Denver and we spend about $60-75 dollars a week on food. We are vegan and gluten free, so most of our shopping trips are full of fruits, veggies, rice and grains, and some nuts. It's just two adults at our house.
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We spend $150 (roughly) every 2 weeks for 2 people. Meal planning is your best friend. I use a site called bigoven.com to literally plan every meal for 2 weeks and have learned how to re-use things, re-vamp and mix it up. We stick to a 1250-1300 calorie day with snacks and are doing just fine. We also eat mostly organic. I like to think I've become some kind of master at the grocery store. LOL
  • lizk710
    lizk710 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    In NY.. I spend anywhere from $130 - $175 for a family of 2 adults and two teenagers. We eat very clean as well, and everything is cooked from scratch (except pasta, tomato sauce, etc), lots of fresh fruit and vegetables (some frozen). I shop at Sams Club too and buy in bulk for everything I can.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Coastal Alabama - $100 - 150 per week, that's feeding 4 and I brown bag my lunch every day.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    2 People,around $75-100. More in winter, Summer grow everything garden.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Family of 4, $1100 a month.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    About 100 to 150 a week for 2 people...